Carnival no longer out of NY?

emmak8

Don't know how the discussion switched from Carnival sailing out of NYC to the comparisons of NCL and Carnival but I'll bite.

40 years ago nothing, and I mean nothing, was as grand as a cruise on Norwegian Cruise Line with their scandinavian staff, their spit and polish hand carved wood interiors, their 5 course meals where almost everyone had their own waiter, the old world charm. If you were lucky enough to sail Norwegian it was a "real" cruise and basically ruined you from ever thinking any other cruise could measure up. And then the fall...now the beautiful thing that was is the horrendously ugly, slightly grubby, ill-managed, ill conceived, NCL that can't begin to hold a candle to its own history. And that is where NCL has failed...it has fallen so far that many of us can't stand to even step on its decks because the new has completely obliterated the wonderful cruise line of old and we don't want our memories forever soiled.

If NCL were the only cruise line left to travel on my days of cruising would come to a complete halt where once upon a time I would have eaten chili for a year to get the chance to cruise with them. So sad!

I think the conversation switched a little because NCL is still an option for those wishing to cruise from NYC.

I was just a toddler at the time, but I'm pretty sure this whole industry has changed in 40 years. You can now cruise on the major lines for about the same real dollars as you could forty years ago. It's much more of an inclusive vacation for people from all walks of life. The Pacific Princess was a television star just under forty years ago, and now she is at the breakers awaiting being pulled apart for scrap. I'm sure there are still smaller cruise lines out there that have much of the same feel as your NCL cruises had forty years ago, but they probably cost substantially more than an NCL or Carnival cruise. The brand changed to a mass market cruise line and probably in response to the success Carnival was having doing just that. You still cruise Carnival despite them not having mahogany interiors, a Scandinavian staff, or five course meals. It's not fair to judge NCL so harshly for being nearly the same thing.

I love sailing out of Baltimore and down the Bay, but there is nothing like sailing in and out of NYC. We typically leave out of the NE and had planned to do the Vista (I really need to update my signature), but the itineraries no longer work. If they were to put a newer ship up here on a seven or eight day cruise, I'd book it in a second--I'm less apt to book the Splendor or Sunshine when the Pride is just 40 sweet minutes away.

I though that the Sunshine was still sailing out of Port Canaveral. Compared to the other lines, Sunshine in no way will be able to compete in the New York Market, unless they offer deep deep discounts.

Well, there are a couple of comments: first, I wonder how you know that. Second, the Sunshine is still sailing out of port Canaveral but will move to New York next year. Lastly, the Sunshine will only sail seasonal and will do just fine.

I love sailing out of Baltimore and down the Bay, but there is nothing like sailing in and out of NYC. We typically leave out of the NE and had planned to do the Vista (I really need to update my signature), but the itineraries no longer work. If they were to put a newer ship up here on a seven or eight day cruise, I'd book it in a second--I'm less apt to book the Splendor or Sunshine when the Pride is just 40 sweet minutes away.

I cannot argue that the Pride is close or is a wonderful ship. We have sailed her 3 times and another coming next August. Sailing out of New York is the absolute best sail away there is, bar none. That being said, the Sunshine will be sailing out of New York next summer.

At one point there was rumblings here in Baltimore of moving the cruise port to the other side of the Key Bridge so bigger ships could sail from here. There is an abandoned steel mill area called Sparrows Point that could really use the revitalization. I don't know if there is still talk of that, but I think it's a great idea. Sailings from Baltimore always sail full, and you should see the prices on the RCCL Grandeur of the Seas. It's an old ship that doesn't look nice at all, and they are getting more for it than Oasis class ships. The Baltimore/DC market combined is like 3rd biggest in the country. It leads the country in median income. I'd venture to say it's probably within driving distance for 60 million people. The Pride is nice, but it would also be nice to get one of Carnival's newer ships. To me it would seem to be a better port than Galveston or New Orleans.

You could argue that CCL is a great cruise line for people who like to be stranded at sea for days without hot food, running water or functioning toilets. :p

One could argue a one time incident (CCL) compares to a daily occurrence (NCL) but one would be foolish in doing so. :rolleyes:

I cannot argue that the Pride is close or is a wonderful ship. We have sailed her 3 times and another coming next August. Sailing out of New York is the absolute best sail away there is, bar none. That being said, the Sunshine will be sailing out of New York next summer.

Will be interesting to see what kind of pricing Sunshine will command. My suspicion is cruising will be very cheap as it is competing against much newer ships.

Will be interesting to see what kind of pricing Sunshine will command. My suspicion is cruising will be very cheap as it is competing against much newer ships.

Whatever the logic is, I bet you are correct.

That will be bad. Cheap cruises out of NY attracts the wrong crowd.

Fool me once......

I can only dream. A cheap cruise within one day's drive on a ship that may not be new but has the bells and whistles that my kids want? I have my eye on a Journeys cruise that is way out of our price range, so I'm hoping you're right. :D

Unfortunately, those bells and whistles are mostly outside and require decent weather. We would happily sail from NYC for a reasonable price on spring break, so I'm disappointed Sunshine will be staying in the Florida market during April. OTOH, completely understand why Carnival doesn't want to sail out of NYC year round after seeing the prices when they did. Year round from the north requires a big ship with plenty of indoor activities that moves south relatively fast, or outrageously cheap prices that make it worthwhile just to eat well and relax indoors for several days.

I can only dream. A cheap cruise within one day's drive on a ship that may not be new but has the bells and whistles that my kids want? I have my eye on a Journeys cruise that is way out of our price range, so I'm hoping you're right. :D

Unfortunately, those bells and whistles are mostly outside and require decent weather. We would happily sail from NYC for a reasonable price on spring break, so I'm disappointed Sunshine will be staying in the Florida market during April. OTOH, completely understand why Carnival doesn't want to sail out of NYC year round after seeing the prices when they did. Year round from the north requires a big ship with plenty of indoor activities that moves south relatively fast, or outrageously cheap prices that make it worthwhile just to eat well and relax indoors for several days.

Not sure, but I think it will get there mid June.

One could argue a one time incident (CCL) compares to a daily occurrence (NCL) but one would be foolish in doing so. :rolleyes:

I count 2: Splendor & Triumph. Not to mention another tragic incident that happened under the CCL umbrella...

Edited by YankeeFan4Ever

At one point there was rumblings here in Baltimore of moving the cruise port to the other side of the Key Bridge so bigger ships could sail from here. There is an abandoned steel mill area called Sparrows Point that could really use the revitalization. I don't know if there is still talk of that, but I think it's a great idea. Sailings from Baltimore always sail full, and you should see the prices on the RCCL Grandeur of the Seas. It's an old ship that doesn't look nice at all, and they are getting more for it than Oasis class ships. The Baltimore/DC market combined is like 3rd biggest in the country. It leads the country in median income. I'd venture to say it's probably within driving distance for 60 million people. The Pride is nice, but it would also be nice to get one of Carnival's newer ships. To me it would seem to be a better port than Galveston or New Orleans.

I love the idea of revitalizing the SP property, but there are currently two problems with the idea.

1) They could build the new terminal to solve the Key Bridge problem and there would still be the problem of clearance under the Route 50 Bay Bridge. Someone asked about a new ship in Baltimore at a CCL event Q&A and we were told that the largest ship in the fleet that can fit under those particular bridges are the Spirit-class ships. In essence they could build a brand new multi-million dollar facility, to accommodate the exact ships that currently embark at the port.

2) After Carnival unexpectedly pulled out and took $45 million in local cruise revenue with them, Baltimore and the State are less likely to invest that kind of money in that project right now. No one wants to be in Mobile's current position.

I am in no way a Carnival Cheerleader, however I like what I get for my money. I get a lot more options of free food and I think they stop at great ports.

I will go anywhere that doesn't require me to cook, clean, or do anything work related. NCL IMOP has all these great places to eat (and just like carnival its the same thing every cruise) however I think they charge too much money for it. If I am already paying a high price for the cruise, and then I have to pay for everything I want to eat it isn't worth it. I am happy with the food that carnival has given. I have sailed NCL Jewel, Gem, Breakaway. Carnival Sensation, Miracle, Conquest and up next is Dream.

I don't have anything agaisnt NCL however it isn't for me.

I agree with most of what you've posted. Carnival does indeed provide good value.

My wife and I have sailed Princess, Carnival and NCL. We've had great cruises on all 3 lines but we slightly prefer NCL for it's ships, entertainment and dining options.

Happy cruising! :)

Edited by YankeeFan4Ever

NY was our favorite ports to sail from the sail alway is next to none for us. However I wouldn't be interested in sailing from NY during winter months due to weather and potential travel issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sailing out of New York is the absolute best sail away there is, bar none. That being said, the Sunshine will be sailing out of New York next summer.

Have you sailed out of Sidney, Vancouver, Whittier? All of which I prefer over NYC for scenery. Beg to differ with your "bar none" comment. NYC is very nice, and yes, I've sailed out of there multiple times but there are other very beautiful cruise ports.

Edited by Budget Queen

I love the idea of revitalizing the SP property, but there are currently two problems with the idea.

1) They could build the new terminal to solve the Key Bridge problem and there would still be the problem of clearance under the Route 50 Bay Bridge. Someone asked about a new ship in Baltimore at a CCL event Q&A and we were told that the largest ship in the fleet that can fit under those particular bridges are the Spirit-class ships. In essence they could build a brand new multi-million dollar facility, to accommodate the exact ships that currently embark at the port.

2) After Carnival unexpectedly pulled out and took $45 million in local cruise revenue with them, Baltimore and the State are less likely to invest that kind of money in that project right now. No one wants to be in Mobile's current position.

I thought the Bay Bridge was high enough to fit anything under it? Carnival pulling out of Baltimore certainly didn't last long, and it was really due to the ECA and not the port. They quickly changed their mind and put scrubbers on the Pride. She was only in Tampa a couple months. If they built a new port it would certainly require some kind of long term commitment from Carnival and any other line that would sail out of there. Even if they couldn't get a bigger ship in, they could expand the port and maybe get more ships in. Right now CCL leaves on Sunday and RCCL is typically Saturday or Thursday. The port can only handle one ship at a time and parking for 2 smaller ships total.

I wish they'd open up Philadelphia again. :) Great airport proximity and worthwhile city to visit.

I wish they'd open up Philadelphia again. :) Great airport proximity and worthwhile city to visit.

Philadelphia spent 12 years trying to land a cruise ship. I think the problem is that it is too close to NYC and Baltimore. My issue with Philly is that it's a city with the size and expense of NYC without all of the fun stuff. Baltimore would literally be dead in the water if we weren't 30 miles from Washington DC.

Have you sailed out of Sidney, Vancouver, Whittier? All of which I prefer over NYC for scenery. Beg to differ with your "bar none" comment. NYC is very nice, and yes, I've sailed out of there multiple times but there are other very beautiful cruise ports.

The bar none was from my perspective, and you have every right to differ, no begging required.;) I have sailed out of Whittier and Vancouver but not Sidney. If I get there I will reconsider. Sailing out of the biggest and best city in the world still trumps (not the Donald) in my book. New York skyline, Freedom Tower, sailing under the V narrows bridge....wow (and a little over an hour away from home to boot;).

There certainly are a lot of other nice ports to sail out of (from a non home port perspective Venice ain't to shabby either. Sounds like a great idea for a thread: Best home ports sailed from.....hmmmm

I think Philly still has a cruise ship.....SS United States...or have they moved it to the scrap heap?

Philadelphia spent 12 years trying to land a cruise ship. I think the problem is that it is too close to NYC and Baltimore. My issue with Philly is that it's a city with the size and expense of NYC without all of the fun stuff. Baltimore would literally be dead in the water if we weren't 30 miles from Washington DC.

Maybe, but it sure is doing just fine. The revitalization of the inner harbor area (yeah I know the cruise port is not exactly there, but close enough) is truly remarkable compared to what it was in the 70's. While it is not Miami, Port Everglades or Port Canaveral, or NYC Carnival is pleased as punch with sailing from there.

Maybe, but it sure is doing just fine. The revitalization of the inner harbor area (yeah I know the cruise port is not exactly there, but close enough) is truly remarkable compared to what it was in the 70's. While it is not Miami, Port Everglades or Port Canaveral, or NYC Carnival is pleased as punch with sailing from there.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I love Baltimore. It's my hometown, but did you see those riots a couple moths ago? Countless conventions have cancelled in Baltimore. Others have taken it off of their list for consideration. We have experienced a lot of gentrification in the city, but in the 1970's we had a population of nearly a million. Today it's just over 600k, of course the surrounding areas have exploded in growth. The state of Maryland has the highest median income in the nation, but that's strictly because the federal government and all of it's agencies and lobbyists are in our backyard. All that said, it's a great place for a cruise port due to it's proximity to a tremendous population with disposable income. The ships sail full here, and I will give Carnival credit for keeping prices reasonable despite that. RCCL sure doesn't.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I love Baltimore. It's my hometown, but did you see those riots a couple moths ago? Countless conventions have cancelled in Baltimore. Others have taken it off of their list for consideration. We have experienced a lot of gentrification in the city, but in the 1970's we had a population of nearly a million. Today it's just over 600k, of course the surrounding areas have exploded in growth. The state of Maryland has the highest median income in the nation, but that's strictly because the federal government and all of it's agencies and lobbyists are in our backyard. All that said, it's a great place for a cruise port due to it's proximity to a tremendous population with disposable income. The ships sail full here, and I will give Carnival credit for keeping prices reasonable despite that. RCCL sure doesn't.

The first time we sailed on the Pride when she moved to Baltimore, it had been a LONG time since we had been there. When we saw what they had done with the inner harbor area, I was dumbfounded. Spectacular comes to mind. The unrest was terrible to watch, I cannot imagine living through it. That being said, We just booked the Pride for next August. Vista Suite here we come (again).;)