Nice shorts & collared shirt in MDR on Zaandam?

janermac

Terri - I understand that there are times when the dress code is not enforced, but I'd feel terrible handing out advice that could get someone barred from the MDR. Especially considering that this is a big family trip for the OP. I'm not questioning what you saw, but it's pretty risky if someone takes it as gospel.

There were lots of shorts on our Rotterdam cruise last September at night as well.

My level of care? -89.

I am not handing out advice. I am just stating what I am seeing in the dining room night after night. I don't know if it is the relaxed atmosphere of the Mediterranean Cruise and the 100 degree temps we are having day after day or the disorganization of the Zuiderdam Dining Staff or their tendency to look the other way.

My advice to the OP is the keep looking at the Know Before You Go section of the HAL website and see if anything changes. I am not saying that what I am seeing is the new standard dress code for HAL. It is just what is taking place on the Zuiderdam. I am seeing a lot of things on the Zuiderdam that I have not seen on other HAL ships. So who knows!

Terri

I didn’t say that you were handing out advice. Please reread the post. I said that I would feel terrible handing out advice. Fair warning.

Jealous... sounds like an awesome trip. I myself much prefer shorts and T Shirts as well, but gave in and wore the long pants <wink> ... I work in the corporate world, so I wear long sleeves and long pants every day at work... then on weekends, you're lucky to get anything other than basketball shorts on me.

Have a great trip... It'll be awesome for sure! I am already itching for my next one.. :(

Thanks to everyone for the info! The cruise is a gift to us all from the parents so it's not the type of travel my husband would choose for himself since he's a "shorts, t-shirts, and camping" kind of guy.

Has hubbie cruised before?

Oh oh. Sounds like us. Our vacations were always camping, hiking, wilderness and away from all crowds. I was certain we would really dislike cruising.

One Alaska cruise and that went away. We spend our time on deck, and scenic cruising (basically anywhere in AK) is our favorite. If it is open I love going on to the bow in the early morning, and watch the mountains passing by.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

Jealous... sounds like an awesome trip. I myself much prefer shorts and T Shirts as well, but gave in and wore the long pants <wink> ... I work in the corporate world, so I wear long sleeves and long pants every day at work... then on weekends, you're lucky to get anything other than basketball shorts on me.

Have a great trip... It'll be awesome for sure! I am already itching for my next one.. :(

Thanks so much, my sweet guy will give in too... Happy Wife, Happy Life :)

Has hubbie cruised before?

Oh oh. Sounds like us. Our vacations were always camping, hiking, wilderness and away from all crowds. I was certain we would really dislike cruising.

One Alaska cruise and that went away. We spend our time on deck, and scenic cruising (basically anywhere in AK) is our favorite. If it is open I love going on to the bow in the early morning, and watch the mountains passing by.

Yes, he has cruised before but as many have pointed out, different cruise lines and different parts of the world mean different standards. Two times to Mexico on Carnival so shorts were fine as long as he had on a nice shirt and sandals (not flip flops). We took an amazing cruise on the Rhine and Mosel Rivers for 16 days and shorts were fine except the night of the Captain's dinner. This will be a great new experience for us to see Alaska from the water. Thanks for the input :)

Have a great time and enjoy Zaandam! Be sure to listen, at least once, to the big organ play on sea days in the Atrium!

what time does the organ play?? First time on the Zaandam next march, this has been added to my to do list..

People talking about 100 degrees.... Last time I checked, the dining room was air conditioned.

Yes, the Zuiderdam MDR is air conditioned. However, it does not stop people from arriving night after night in shorts and not being turned away.

I am not offering the outside temps as an excuse, just the fact that the incessant heat may be part of the reason. I need a sweater in the MDR every night.

Terri

Yes but some cabins aren't. ;)

So don't eat dinner in your cabin.

I just have trouble linking weather on what to wear in a dinning room. I can picture you sitting in a restaurant wearing a parka because it is snowing outside.

Just admit it - some people do not want to follow the dress code and look for any excuse possible to justify their actions.

Shorts are never permitted at dinner in the MDR.

Perhaps, he would prefer dinner in the Lido.

Unfortunately, this is no longer true. We are just off the Nieuw Amsterdam in the Mediterranean a few weeks ago and shorts were in fact allowed in the MDR at dinner time. There were so many on all nights (even saw a few on gala nights) that rumors started onboard that HAL had changed the rules as of this cruise.

Unfortunately, this is no longer true. We are just off the Nieuw Amsterdam in the Mediterranean a few weeks ago and shorts were in fact allowed in the MDR at dinner time. There were so many on all nights (even saw a few on gala nights) that rumors started onboard that HAL had changed the rules as of this cruise.

To be clear, shorts were worn by people who ignored the rules and they got away with it.

To be clear, shorts were worn by people who ignored the rules and they got away with it.

To be perfectly clear (and I was there, remember?), they did not get away with anything. The Assistant Dining Room Managers were very visible at the door every night and very knowingly let them go in. There was absolutely no effort to stop anyone wearing shorts from entering the MDR.

To be perfectly clear (and I was there, remember?), they did not get away with anything. The Assistant Dining Room Managers were very visible at the door every night and very knowingly let them go in. There was absolutely no effort to stop anyone wearing shorts from entering the MDR.

Noted.

"Tell him to buck up and put his big boy pants on."

"Hear Hear! He should consider himself lucky he does not have to pay."

"Maybe he can if he becomes a citizen of Bermuda?? Or perhaps he could wear them with some leggings?? Failing that I have seen Kilts worn in the MDR during the evening service. (Forgive me for the 1st couple of comments; Couldn't stop myself)"

"Just fine for any young man under 14.

After that he is allowed to wear long pants."

"Keep him up in the Lido please..."

"Just admit it - some people do not want to follow the dress code and look for any excuse possible to justify their actions."

"Perhaps, he would prefer dinner in the Lido."

Well, I've seen the light. After 27 years of marriage you have convinced me that my husband really just isn't worthy of me, dining on a cruise ship, or mingling with those in the MDR. Before I call the divorce attorney, I will call my dad and inform him that his son-in-law is an S.O.B. but will not reveal that he asked if it would work to wear nice shorts in the evening to the MDR- he's in his 80's after all and the shock of that could do him in. :(

I beg to differ. They clearly violated the rules. The staff on duty did not enforce the rules. They got away with it.

"Tell him to buck up and put his big boy pants on."

"Hear Hear! He should consider himself lucky he does not have to pay."

"Maybe he can if he becomes a citizen of Bermuda?? Or perhaps he could wear them with some leggings?? Failing that I have seen Kilts worn in the MDR during the evening service. (Forgive me for the 1st couple of comments; Couldn't stop myself)"

"Just fine for any young man under 14.

After that he is allowed to wear long pants."

"Keep him up in the Lido please..."

"Just admit it - some people do not want to follow the dress code and look for any excuse possible to justify their actions."

"Perhaps, he would prefer dinner in the Lido."

Well, I've seen the light. After 27 years of marriage you have convinced me that my husband really just isn't worthy of me, dining on a cruise ship, or mingling with those in the MDR. Before I call the divorce attorney, I will call my dad and inform him that his son-in-law is an S.O.B. but will not reveal that he asked if it would work to wear nice shorts in the evening to the MDR- he's in his 80's after all and the shock of that could do him in. :(

Try to ignore the comments. Some posters are not happy unless they are taking digs at someone. It speaks volumes. Clearly they are trying to get the attention they are missing in their lives.

Unless Hal changed the rules they did get away with it. The staff was too lazy to enforce the dress code. Those are two different things.

I think that there is a misconception that people who wear shorts for dinner in the MDR or do not wear formal in the MDR on gala nights make excuses for doing so.

They do it because that is what they want to do. Not saying I agree but these folks really do not need to make an excuse to anyone.

HAL makes the decision about who goes into the dining room. Clearly, HAL has no intention of enforcing their own rules. So what is the point in having them, or publishing them. This is a HAL issue, not a cruiser issue IMHO. Complain to HAL

Edited by iancal

I think that there is a misconception that people who wear shorts for dinner in the MDR or do not wear formal in the MDR on gala nights make excuses for doing so.

They do it because that is what they want to do. Not saying I agree but these folks really do not need to make an excuse to anyone.

HAL makes the decision about who goes into the dining room. Clearly, HAL has no intention of enforcing their own rules. So what is the point in having them, or publishing them. This is a HAL issue, not a cruiser issue IMHO. Complain to HAL

I'd love it if people wouldn't make excuses. Too often people say they don't want to dress formally because:

They dressed everyday for 35 years

They lost their luggage

Weight restrictions on airlines

Just man or woman up and say it's because they don't want to. There is nothing wrong with that.

Edited by cruz chic