Poll : DSC

Guest phd1003

Would you still cruise with NCL if they implement a Mandatory service charge?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Would you still cruise with NCL if they implement a Mandatory service charge?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I find it telling and a little amusing that all of the responses in form of posts are for YES! Add me to the list. Have never reduced and wish it was mandatory. To me, the tipping threads on Cruise Critic are the ones that are the saddest and frustrating.

Love my NCL crews and I am so blessed to be able to cruise as I have.

I guess the people who voted no are ashamed to stand up and admit that they don't care to support the hardworking crew in their entirety.

The "I only like to tip those who directly deal with me" gang can also take a hike. There are many, many people working behind the scenes toiling to make a cruise a good experience.

I guess the people who voted no are ashamed to stand up and admit that they don't care to support the hardworking crew in their entirety.

The "I only like to tip those who directly deal with me" gang can also take a hike. There are many, many people working behind the scenes toiling to make a cruise a good experience.

That's why I like DSC especially on NCL- its nothing personal. I can go about my business discreetly without the staff messing up my 1st name along with I can dining at different times. Plus eat as little as I want without staff getting upset (that was my Carnival late night dining experience with staff there - the only thing seriously wrong with Carnival as a company -they seriously got angry that I just wanted a salad and pasta with no dessert, for example). Can prepay it way beforehand and doesn't impact the actual cruise budget during the trip. Realizing, I don't have to carry large wad of cash during the trip because there's nothing technically to pay for on the cruise ship after the DSC is paid (port stops is a different story...).

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I voted Maybe.

If NCL rolls it all into one fare, offers a competitive product, and the bottomline price point is a fit for us it doesn't really matter what they call something. That is to say, whether I sail on NCL in the future depends on more than just how they break out their charges.

So long as service levels remain as they are, or improve, and cash tips are allowed to be kept by staff that earn them, I've got no issues. I would also trust that onboard management have the power to correct service issues when and if they occur.

Guest phd1003
I'd prefer it. I wonder if the reason for the increases is based on those who remove it...

Stands to reason...

I voted yes. However, that's contingent upon NCL not lowering their standard of service or straying too far from the Kevin Sheehan era. The way things are now, we are quite happy with NCL and they are our cruise line of choice.

We are hopeful Kevin Sheehan's changes/influence will not be undone by Frank Del Rio and crew. ;)

Me, too. Shocked, with all the whining and moaning we see in the tipping threads.

My answer - Absolutely!

Its because its always same 5-8 posters plus '1 post then done','new' member or hasn't posted in years to CC; whining about the DSC and/or claiming to remove it completely then tipping out those that serve them direct in cash. Doesn't matter which forum it is, its the same pattern - its just not it looks worse in NCL forums because of the 'Freestyle' concept. I'll be honest - the freestyle concept to dining makes it super easy to just pay it off and not be attached to any staff unless it the bar staff (which happen to not get paid by DSC at all - some of us will know the name of the bartender before the waiter, whether good or bad. :p)