Very Skeptical

labgoat

We just returned from an Alaskan cruise on NCL (northbound from Vancouver to Seward) and it was our first cruise. We did not experience most of what you are concerned with.

As others have said, if you get seasick that easily, take Bonine every night. On our cruise, the seas were relatively calm (they were described as wavelets, one foot waves). We sailed from Vancouver and for Monday night and part of Tuesday, had Vancouver Island on our portside which helped keep seas pretty calm. Once you get to Ketchikan, you are not out in open ocean until after Skagway. We had a balcony cabin on deck 8 midship to help with any seasick issues. When we were in open water, you could feel the ship rocking but it was nothing excessive and no one in my family felt sick.

This was our first cruise but I did not feel crowded on the ship. The only time it was really crowded was when we went to the buffet restaurant (Garden Cafe). We only went to this restaurant for breakfast and a lunch or two. We ate in one of the two main dining rooms for all our dinners (except for two in the port towns). Norwegian has "freestyle dining" which means you don't have to dress for dinner and you aren't assigned to the same table each night with the same waitstaff. At the main dining rooms you walk up, tell the maitre'd how many in your party and they find a table for you and seat you. We had a family of six and never had to wait for more than a few minutes. I wore nice jeans most nights or some slacks and a button up shirt or polo shirt.

Our balcony room on deck 8 was comfortable and we had no noise from adjoining rooms or the ship.

We went to one show at night, a comedian, which was good. Otherwise, we sat in a bar and listened to live music many of the nights. With a balcony room, you can easily sit out and read or just watch for whales.

I booked all our excursions on my own. I did not use the cruise line. For example, I booked a trip on the White Pass and Yukon railroad in Skagway through Chilkoot Charters. They picked us up at the pier and took us to the train. The Chilkoot people had our own railcar which was only half full.

Getting off the ship in the port towns was not a problem. We got off within 15 minutes of being allowed and never had to wait in line to get off the ship and hardly waited in line to get back on.

For our first cruise, this was great and everyone had a good time.

I agree with many of the above posters.

Take 24 hr. Bonine - both my husband and I take it the night before and for at least the first couple of nights. (He isn't prone to motion sickness, but better safe than sorry). Neither of us has experienced side effects from it.

If the seas are calm, we don't find it necessary once we've gotten our sea legs. I'll take it again if we're going on an excursion on twisty, bumpy roads, or if we have to tender in (potentially) choppy seas, just in case.

Get a balcony cabin, for heaven's sake, especially for Alaska! First off, the sightseeing is wonderful, and private, on your own private "porch". Secondly, it makes spending time in your room escaping the crowds SO much more pleasant. In our case, we always get a balcony, regardless of the destination, and the hubs might nap or watch TV in the room while I read outside, or we'll both sip our wine outside and watch the sea go by, or whatever. Third, fresh air! Nothing like it!

To avoid crowds, don't do anything at "peak" times - don't go to the buffet at the crack of noon (or don't go to the buffet at all!), wait to debark in a quiet place (there are plenty) until nearly everyone is off (if possible).

There are plenty of places to be alone (or nearly so)

My extended family wants to go on a cruise together to Alaska. I've only been on a cruise once before, about 15 years ago, and it was a horrible, miserable experience. I would never choose to go on another cruise again, but I'm receiving a lot of pressure to go, and I promised I would at least do some research before making a final decision (and I have been, which is how I found Cruise Critic). Plans are very flexible, so nothing specific has been decided beyond the fact it would be a cruise to Alaska.

I'm a very pleasant person, though I'm sure I sound cranky and no fun at all in this post ;-) But here are the things that I didn't like about the one cruise I took, and I'm wondering if these are things that can be overcome or if they're just "part of the experience" so to speak. Money is a consideration, of course, but not my primary consideration: I'd be willing to spend more to ensure a good experience (better cruise line, better room, etc) as long as it doesn't get ridiculous.

So here were the problems I had last time:

* I get sea sick. I started getting nauseous immediately after boarding, while the boat was still docked. I was promised that it couldn't happen on modern cruise lines since the boats are so large and have stabilizers, but that was not at all my experience. I know there are drugs, but I don't really like to take medication.

* I don't like crowds or noise. I was always surrounded by a lot of people, which was a bit stressful. Disembarking was horrendous.

* I'm mildly claustrophobic. This is very rarely a problem for me, but it was on the cruise ship. Our cabin was tiny and had no windows (low and in middle of ship as I was told that experiences the least rockiness). So it wasn't at all a relaxing place to retreat to. It was also very loud with constant engine noise. I also didn't like ever being in a location on the ship that didn't at least have a window.

* I'm not into the "night life" -- clubs, gambling, shows, etc.

* I don't like to dress up and won't attend formal nights. I don't even own a suit.

* I'm not into the pool scene or sunbathing. Not sure this matters much on an Alaska cruise anyway, but there it is ;-)

* I don't like hectic vacations where I'm "doing something" every single day. I like to relax when on vacation, put up my feet, read a book, sip an espresso, etc.

* I don't like touristy places (which were the only places the cruise I went on stopped), but would much rather prefer to get away from the hustle and bustle.

Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head. On the positive side, I would like to see Alaska (and especially Glacier Bay, though I've read that's not really feasible unless one does a 7-day one-way cruise). I'm just not sure a cruise is the way to do it.

One more detail: there would be three of us in the cabin: myself, my wife, and our daughter who will be 3 next year when we'd go.

So can someone recommend an Alaska cruise and the arrangements I should pursue that might lead to an enjoyable experience? Or are cruises just not for me, as I suspect?

Thanks, everyone, for your patience. :-)

LG

For the most part I would say cruising is not for you. However, if you want to see Alaska there are really only two ways to go, by air or by sea. I don't think there are any roads into or out of Juneau. Same with the bays and the islands.

You can take something for seasickness (I take ginger). I consider cruises relaxing because I don't try to do it all. Nobody is going to make you stay up until midnight nor will you be forced to go to the pool. I don't like to dress up either (though I do own three suits). Nonetheless, NCL only has OPTIONAL formal nights and even on Carnival and Royal Caribbean a nice shirt and pants will be enough. If you go on Princess, HAL or Celebrity, then you'll have to go to the buffet on formal nights.

That said, I can't recommend a cruise line based on what you don't like anymore than you can recommend a restaurant based on my dislike of fish.

So, what is it that you do like?

Wow, thank you for all the wonderful replies! I never expected so many. You are all a very helpful bunch with many great ideas and suggestions (including the very valid "cruising is not for you").

I will continue to do a lot more research, guided by the great answers I've received here. I still suspect I'll decide it's not for me, but I'm trying to keep at least somewhat of an open mind ;-)

Thanks again!

LG

I too am skeptical about this op. Sea sick on a ship docked in port? All of the rest of it. And people try to assuage his overwhelming concerns? Absurd op and absurd responses other than the stay home one.

Well you're just a ray of sunshine, aren't ya. Gee. :( Did you not see post 29 where OP replied to everyone?

I too am skeptical about this op. Sea sick on a ship docked in port? All of the rest of it. And people try to assuage his overwhelming concerns? Absurd op and absurd responses other than the stay home one.

It does happen. I've had sailors that actually got sea sick on the pier before getting on the ship.

Hard to say no when it's something your spouse really wants to do. I think you have a couple options...

Book the cruise and let her take a friend or family member.

or

Get a cabin with a balcony and compromise on what activities you will or won't do. We went a couple years ago...we aren't big into much of what you stated you didn't like. We just enjoyed sitting on the balcony, bundled up, sipping hot coco and enjoying the scenery. We did one or two excursions, and the rest of the time we just wandered around. I think there's ways to do it where you can enjoy your time, see Alaska and make your wife happy. We took the last sailing of the season and scored a corner aft cabin with a balcony on the back and side of the ship. The views of Glacier Bay were incredible.

I get sick just by looking at the boats, so let me share my experience of 10+ cruises.

* I get sea sick. I started getting nauseous immediately after boarding, while the boat was still docked. I was promised that it couldn't happen on modern cruise lines since the boats are so large and have stabilizers, but that was not at all my experience. I know there are drugs, but I don't really like to take medication.

Can you take ginger? You can buy a bottle of 100 capsules for under $10, start taking 2-3 days before the cruise, continue during the cruise, and 2-3 days after the cruise to avoid "sea legs". For emergencies bring Bonine.

* I'm mildly claustrophobic. This is very rarely a problem for me, but it was on the cruise ship. Our cabin was tiny and had no windows (low and in middle of ship as I was told that experiences the least rockiness). So it wasn't at all a relaxing place to retreat to. It was also very loud with constant engine noise. I also didn't like ever being in a location on the ship that didn't at least have a window.

Both for claustrophobia and sea sickness location and cabin type are extremely important. DO NOT reserve an inside cabin - you must have a window. DO NOT reserve a "guarantee" - reserve a certain cabin, and make sure it is marked "no upgrade" - call the cruise company or have the travel agent call for you. The cabin should be in the lower part of the ship, in the middle. Engine noise sometimes heard on the lowest level of the ship, check out which is the lowest deck they are selling, and go 1 or 2 decks higher.

* I'm not into the "night life" -- clubs, gambling, shows, etc. Bring an interesting book or use ship's library.

* I don't like to dress up and won't attend formal nights. I don't even own a suit. You don't have 2. On the formal night(s) you can eat in the buffet, or order room service (free, but a small tip in addition to daily tips is expected)

* I'm not into the pool scene or sunbathing. Not sure this matters much on an Alaska cruise anyway, but there it is ;-) Sit in the shade with a book, or people-watch.

* I don't like hectic vacations where I'm "doing something" every single day. I like to relax when on vacation, put up my feet, read a book, sip an espresso, etc. Just do that! Or watch a movie in the cabin.

* I don't like touristy places (which were the only places the cruise I went on stopped), but would much rather prefer to get away from the hustle and bustle. Rent a car or go on a small or private tour.

One more detail: there would be three of us in the cabin: myself, my wife, and our daughter who will be 3 next year when we'd go.

So can someone recommend an Alaska cruise and the arrangements I should pursue that might lead to an enjoyable experience? Or are cruises just not for me, as I suspect? Pick the right cabin, don't rush off when the ship just docks, let the crowds disappear, don't try to do what everyone else does, relax and enjoy being away from work.

LG

Since your post focused mainly on the negatives I would also say don't go. Tell them you tried it and it did not work well for you. Anybody who gets seasick while the ship is still docked has a medical condition that requires them to stay on firm land.

If you bend to family pressure you will be miserable the entire time and everyone around you will resent your not joining in the fun they are having. The word "No" is a complete sentence. Why does your extended family want you to be sick and miserable?

Edited by BlueRiband

I'm sorry, this made me chuckle. This sounds like the poster for an anti-cruise brigade! Seriously, you may do better with skipping the cruise and make Alaska a destination of it's own to visit. All of the things you quoted are exactly what the cruise would be. Sure you could stay in your stateroom but what would be the point of spending all that money to go only to stay in your room? The seasickness they have medicine for, the other things you'd have to endure or not go. That's really your only option the way I see it. Good luck no matter what you choose.

My extended family wants to go on a cruise together to Alaska. I've only been on a cruise once before, about 15 years ago, and it was a horrible, miserable experience. I would never choose to go on another cruise again, but I'm receiving a lot of pressure to go, and I promised I would at least do some research before making a final decision (and I have been, which is how I found Cruise Critic). Plans are very flexible, so nothing specific has been decided beyond the fact it would be a cruise to Alaska.

I'm a very pleasant person, though I'm sure I sound cranky and no fun at all in this post ;-) But here are the things that I didn't like about the one cruise I took, and I'm wondering if these are things that can be overcome or if they're just "part of the experience" so to speak. Money is a consideration, of course, but not my primary consideration: I'd be willing to spend more to ensure a good experience (better cruise line, better room, etc) as long as it doesn't get ridiculous.

So here were the problems I had last time:

* I don't like crowds or noise. I was always surrounded by a lot of people, which was a bit stressful. Disembarking was horrendous.

* I'm not into the "night life" -- clubs, gambling, shows, etc.

* I don't like to dress up and won't attend formal nights. I don't even own a suit.

* I'm not into the pool scene or sunbathing. Not sure this matters much on an Alaska cruise anyway, but there it is ;-)

* I don't like hectic vacations where I'm "doing something" every single day. I like to relax when on vacation, put up my feet, read a book, sip an espresso, etc.

* I don't like touristy places (which were the only places the cruise I went on stopped), but would much rather prefer to get away from the hustle and bustle.

Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head. On the positive side, I would like to see Alaska (and especially Glacier Bay, though I've read that's not really feasible unless one does a 7-day one-way cruise). I'm just not sure a cruise is the way to do it.

So can someone recommend an Alaska cruise and the arrangements I should pursue that might lead to an enjoyable experience? Or are cruises just not for me, as I suspect?

LG

Since your post focused mainly on the negatives I would also say don't go. Tell them you tried it and it did not work well for you. Anybody who gets seasick while the ship is still docked has a medical condition that requires them to stay on firm land.

Well, that rules out California.

As some of the others have said, maybe cursing is just not for you. However, some of the things you mentioned were my exact concerns also before I took my first cruise, and I just found ways to deal with them. Maybe this time you will be better informed, and will decide to make your family happy and try it one more time.

First, I really don't know if I would suffer from seasickness or not, because I have always taken 2 Bonine every night before bed, beginning at least 2 nights before getting on the boat. I know you said you don't like to take medication, but these are just like taking a baby aspirin. Orange flavored and chewable. No big deal really.

Secondly, I am also slightly claustrophobic and would not stay in anything but a balcony cabin where I can open the door to the outside. Since you are going to have your 3 year old, I would suggest a mini-suite on NCL. (I think Sauer-kraut's recommendation also). The room has a balcony and is a little larger, which will alleviate your claustrophobia, and a bathtub, which will be easier for bathing your child.

I also don't like formal nights, especially if traveling with children. Some of the cruise lines still have them, but many have opted for "dress up or not" nights (like on NCL). Celebrity, which is the cruise line we took to Alaska, had formal night only in the main dining room. If you wanted to be casual, you could make a reservation in the specialty restaurant or go to the buffet. With any cruise line, even if you choose a line that still has formal nights, you can always just go to the buffet.

As for having busy days in port, you really don't have to do anything if you don't want to, but I found that the excursions in Alaska were rather laid back anyway. We did a whale watching expedition, 2 floatplane rides, the Gold Rush train ride (a must-do IMO). If you visit Glacier Bay, you will have a full day on the ship there as well.

I would also recommend NCL, as they have great programs for kids.

Good luck and report back your decision.

Edited by phillygirl63

Well, that rules out California.

Was stationed in San Diego and Monterey. Worse quake we ever had was in Maryland. Second worst was Japan.

OP: for every negative you post there are reasonable workarounds. But only if you are willing. You say you refuse to do formal night. What will you do when the rest of the family wants a group photo on the staircase with everyone in their finery?

Sounds like a cruise isn't your "thing"...don't feel guilty if you don't want to go!

Family should understand, and not force you to do (and PAY for) something that will make you miserable!

I agree. Cruise vacations are not for you.

If you honestly feel that you are going to be miserable and also make everyone else miserable, I would stay home and let the family enjoy themselves. Perhaps there is something that you can do by yourself while they are gone.

DON

For the most part I would say cruising is not for you. However, if you want to see Alaska there are really only two ways to go, by air or by sea. I don't think there are any roads into or out of Juneau. Same with the bays and the islands.

You can take something for seasickness (I take ginger). I consider cruises relaxing because I don't try to do it all. Nobody is going to make you stay up until midnight nor will you be forced to go to the pool. I don't like to dress up either (though I do own three suits). Nonetheless, NCL only has OPTIONAL formal nights and even on Carnival and Royal Caribbean a nice shirt and pants will be enough. If you go on Princess, HAL or Celebrity, then you'll have to go to the buffet on formal nights.

That said, I can't recommend a cruise line based on what you don't like anymore than you can recommend a restaurant based on my dislike of fish.

So, what is it that you do like?

The part of your reply that I have converted to red is not accurate or at least over simplified. It is correct that you can only get into Juneau and Ketchikan by boat and it is also true that places such such Glacier Bay require that you see it by boat. However, AK is a very big state and there are lots and lots of places that you can see and enjoy by car without ever setting foot in a boat. In fact, one can even get to Alaska by car if one does not want to fly - just takes a bit more time.

We did a long (2 1/2 month) road trip in AK and much of the time we got to places by car.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Wow, thank you for all the wonderful replies! I never expected so many. You are all a very helpful bunch with many great ideas and suggestions (including the very valid "cruising is not for you").

I will continue to do a lot more research, guided by the great answers I've received here. I still suspect I'll decide it's not for me, but I'm trying to keep at least somewhat of an open mind ;-)

Thanks again!

LG

Cruising probably isn't for you. What you have to balance is whether you want to suck it up & deal with the crowds, the claustrophobia & the dinners etc so your daughter can have vacation memories with her extended family. That is where the balance point is drawn. You have been given some good suggestions about how to minimize the things you don't care for. On any given cruise I have always been able to find little corners with fewer people.

If there is any possibility you can convince everyone involved to travel to Alaska via a different method, that might be your best bet