Is the American Table food THAT bad?

Ariel0185

Our experience (10 Carnival cruises) makes me think that the skills of the particular chef and his kitchen crew has more to do with the quality of the meals than does the menu. We have had the same dish on different cruises and had it be excellent one time and only fair another.

That is for sure. I kept reading about how everyone loved different foods and I thought they were pretty bad to awful. I was sailing on Legend over and over. Then I tried a dish no one at my table on a previous trip liked at all, lasagna. Figured it must be me. It was delicious! I thought something is different. Sure enough, Legend had a new chef. Most of the chefs are Indian and should have an Italian making lasagna.

Looking at the menu photos I have seen, it looks like the same menu I had on the Liberty in 2014, the Breeze in 2014 and the Freedom in 2015. Though we had table cloths on the tables. Liberty cruise they always had a bottle of wine of the table they tried to sell and it just took up room. Second 2 cruises didn't have that at least. I found a lot of the offerings to be the same as cruises in years past. Some new items, some items gone. Truly I wasn't all that crazy about the older menus and I never really found many appetizers that i liked. I think I found more options with the newer menus.

I will find out in February when I got on the Freedom. I will always have the fall back option of ordering a steakhouse dish in the dining room. I would love to be adventurous; however, I do have sensitivities to certain foods and I can't tolerate anything spicy. The previous menu worked for me as it had a lot of options. In the meantime, I'll have the Pepto handy just in case!

We just got off the Conquest... And it was delicious! I especially loved the pie option ever night :) yum yum

I was on Conquest in November and I agree that the American Table menu was delicious. The MDR service was also very good. I also agree with you that the pies were great.:cool:

We had American Table last year on Liberty. They were still tweaking the menu then and had added a few things in that people loved like the soups. I went in very skeptical and not really expecting to like it. We really liked it and my DH and I had been on Liberty right before with regular menu, and we thought the American Table had more choices. The food was very good and it did not bother us one bit to have a water carafe on the table.

We're looking forward to Magic later this year and the American Table.

We were just on the Pride and had the American Table. I was very impressed. THe food selections were good and a nice variety. The local ports also had special menu items from their area on the menu on those nights. I felt like there might have been a few less choices than previously, but the quality made up for it!! Everything was fantastic! And to reassure those worrying about tablecloths and service, the tables are fine, and on formal nights, the table cloths are there! At these services, the waiters still serve bread out individually as in the "old" days, instead of just putting the basket on the table with the American Table style. I really liked how it was all done. Refreshing updating with some of the old traditions still included.

DH and I were just on an 8-day Conquest sailing in December and we found the menu to be boring and bland. This was our 25th Carnival cruise, so not new to this cruise line. We ate in the Steakhouse the first night and it was fabulous - great taste and great presentation. We only are in the dining room 4 other times and had trouble choosing something. We did the Steakhouse Selection one of those nights because nothing appealed. I know that food is subjective, but it seems a lot of passengers would agree with us. We put it on the survey.

I have to agree about the dessert options gong downhill, it used to be much better, also, they used to always have a sugar free dessert listed on the menu, now they don't and when we asked each night there was nothing sugar free offered to my other half by the waiter. I would also like to see a gluten free dessert available and icons on all the menu's that would tell what is vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free and soy free since many people now have to watch these things. RC, Princess, Celebrity and NCL all have the icons, always wondered why Carnival never did, it sure be a lot easier for the waiters if they did the icons on the menus.

I just got off the Conquest on 12/20/15.

I would not call it terrible, but American Table is a downgrade from the past menu IMHO. Many old favorites such as WCMC, lobster, escargot and prime ribs are still available, but I miss the rack of lambs, the Tom Yan Kong soup and flaming alaska. I also miss having the table cloth, without which the table surface is often wet because of spilled drinks or condensation from the water pitcher.

Edited by PCHENG