Early Del Rio Legacy vs the Sheehan Legacy

mianmike

Now we are hearing Del Rio has decided firework displays are too demanding and so off to the chopping block it goes. If true, how many more Del Rio cuts "to ensure we’re focusing the best overall guest experience possible" will he implement before he has demolished the NCL Freestyle brand Kevin Sheehan worked so hard to build?

"To ensure we’re focusing the best overall guest experience possible." Translation: we were looking for expenses we could cut that we felt wouldn't overly affect new cruise bookings and cutting fireworks fit the bill.

It's becoming apparent Del Rio's business model is to maximize profit through reduced services, increased fares, fees and gimmicks. Sheehan on the other the hand was more about building the brand and cultivating repeat loyal customers which ultimately would lead to increased profits.

I really enjoyed the Sheehan brand of Freestyle cruising and it will be missed. No other cruise line offers a similar experience. I can only hope Del Rio's business model fails and he reverts back to emphasizing building the brand and less about immediate profit. I'm concerned as I see the airline industry has been adding more and more fees and there seems to be no end in sight. Their profits are up; customer satisfaction is down, but profits always seem to win in the end.

I wish all cruisers and potential cruisers read Cruise Critic and were cognizant of how Del Rio is leading NCL down the path of pay more for less. Reduced profit would get Del Rio's attention.

Del Rio wants increased profit similar to those wanting to lose weight overnight with a diet pill.

Sheehan believed increasing profit was similar to a dieter who loses weight via lifestyle changes, proper diet, building muscle through exercise . . . in other words . . . he earned it!

Okay, through this post I've solved nothing, but I vented. I feel better. Now I will focus on the positive and thoroughly enjoy my next cruise no matter what Del Rio may throw at me or take away from me!

So far your rant is right on. I have seen this in several different industries.

There is so much pressure to get rich quick that all long term thinking is thrown out the window.

Most companies who do this either end up changing or going out of business.

Now we are hearing Del Rio has decided firework displays are too demanding and so off to the chopping block it goes. If true, how many more Del Rio cuts "to ensure we’re focusing the best overall guest experience possible" will he implement before he has demolished the NCL Freestyle brand Kevin Sheehan worked so hard to build?

"To ensure we’re focusing the best overall guest experience possible." Translation: we were looking for expenses we could cut that we felt wouldn't overly affect new cruise bookings and cutting fireworks fit the bill.

It's becoming apparent Del Rio's business model is to maximize profit through reduced services, increased fares, fees and gimmicks. Sheehan on the other the hand was more about building the brand and cultivating repeat loyal customers which ultimately would lead to increased profits.

I really enjoyed the Sheehan brand of Freestyle cruising and it will be missed. No other cruise line offers a similar experience. I can only hope Del Rio's business model fails and he reverts back to emphasizing building the brand and less about immediate profit. I'm concerned as I see the airline industry has been adding more and more fees and there seems to be no end in sight. Their profits are up; customer satisfaction is down, but profits always seem to win in the end.

I wish all cruisers and potential cruisers read Cruise Critic and were cognizant of how Del Rio is leading NCL down the path of pay more for less. Reduced profit would get Del Rio's attention.

Del Rio wants increased profit similar to those wanting to lose weight overnight with a diet pill.

Sheehan believed increasing profit was similar to a dieter who loses weight via lifestyle changes, proper diet, building muscle through exercise . . . in other words . . . he earned it!

Okay, through this post I've solved nothing, but I vented. I feel better. Now I will focus on the positive and thoroughly enjoy my next cruise no matter what Del Rio may throw at me or take away from me!

let it go for heavens sake....you obviously were not around when Sheehan took over!!!

1. NCL's itineraries and pricing are not competitive or attractive (at least in Europe) at the moment.

2. I no longer trust them to deliver the product that I sign up to (SC hikes; Room Service Charges; yada yada)

Therefore we will look elsewhere for our cruises (Princess delivered us a value, quality cruise recently BTW).

Sorry NCL, I get that you do not give a rat's arse for my business - stockholders and profit are your only focus at present. I fear it will end badly - stock markets are fickle things - they will dump you in a day with no compunction whatsoever (a bit like you are doing to your (ex)-loyal customers).

Firework display cancelled? Who cares. I don't cruise to go watch pyrotechnics going kaboom in the sky especially if it means I have to pay higher cruise price. Go to a Fourth of July celebration if you want to watch free firework display.

1. NCL's itineraries and pricing are not competitive or attractive (at least in Europe) at the moment.

2. I no longer trust them to deliver the product that I sign up to (SC hikes; Room Service Charges; yada yada)

Therefore we will look elsewhere for our cruises (Princess delivered us a value, quality cruise recently BTW).

Sorry NCL, I get that you do not give a rat's arse for my business - stockholders and profit are your only focus at present. I fear it will end badly - stock markets are fickle things - they will dump you in a day with no compunction whatsoever (a bit like you are doing to your (ex)-loyal customers).

Couldn't say it much better. Used to really enjoy the Norwegian product, now I don't find them customer friendly or trustworthy.

let it go for heavens sake....you obviously were not around when Sheehan took over!!!

I was, and NCL was pretty much in the toilet. Horrible cruise line. Sheehan gave the line direction and focus, to become something beyond a mediocre line that had little purpose and a disjointed fleet. Did I like and agree with everything he did? No but the end result was a much improved NCL which was actually competitive again.

I was, and NCL was pretty much in the toilet. Horrible cruise line. Sheehan gave the line direction and focus, to become something beyond a mediocre line that had little purpose and a disjointed fleet. Did I like and agree with everything he did? No but the end result was a much improved NCL which was actually competitive again.

I agree!

OP has all good points...it happens to the best companies..DelRio is opening the door for other companies to come in and steal customers...I bet in 2 years, MSC will be a fierce competitor(in addition to the current brands) and NCL will be on it's merry way to bankruptcy.

I mean, who really needs complaining customers...LOL...It amazes me how people are so willingly to part with their money....IF only they were as "smart" as the companies willing to take it.

We are going again in October so will see. On paper these changes seem like a lot in a short time. On the Oceania board the FDR fan club feel he is fixing NCL and improving it, we will see. After my trip on the Breakaway all that makes me go on the Gem again is that it is here in NY.

When and where do they have fireworks? We have been on 3 NCL cruises (all in the last year) and I never noticed any fireworks.

I agree that Mr. Del Rio is sacrificing customer service for increased profits.

However, personally, I wasn't real comfortable on the Breakaway in January with the fireworks. Let's be honest, NCL banned smoking on the balconies (please don't flame me!) for safety reasons and now the ship was carrying all kinds of explosives!

I will start by not defending any recent changes. However, I will what I was told by senior officers on a recent visit to a ship.

The company is putting money back into the fleet to keep high standard of service. This makes sense with their new builds.

They have hired more safety people. We should care about that.

In addition, I have the following comments :

Andy Stuart is still with NCL, which is good. He has outlasted several key company leadership changes. He an ounce the reversal on not bringing food back to the cabin. He watches cc.

In 1997 I paid the same price for a oceanview on the Norway as I did for my son and his wife on the Breakaway this past June with the beverage package. While I loved the Norway, the Breakaway offered much more for the same price 18 years later.

We do have a choice in things such as the specialty dining. Myself, I would have been very happy with the venues included.

My advice is give NCL constructive feedback through these forums. They do read them as has been said many time.

I am not a cheerleader. However, NCL, I feel has treated me and my family and friends well over the years.

OP has all good points...it happens to the best companies..DelRio is opening the door for other companies to come in and steal customers...I bet in 2 years, MSC will be a fierce competitor(in addition to the current brands) and NCL will be on it's merry way to bankruptcy.

I mean, who really needs complaining customers...LOL...It amazes me how people are so willingly to part with their money....IF only they were as "smart" as the companies willing to take it.

MSC will be putting their newest ship here and it's being built more for the American market than others have been. The prices last year on Divina were great.

Firework display cancelled? Who cares. I don't cruise to go watch pyrotechnics going kaboom in the sky especially if it means I have to pay higher cruise price. Go to a Fourth of July celebration if you want to watch free firework display.

I was thinking the same thing: increase DSC, ok, I see some being upset, Room service charge, yes, that would be a shocker to those who use it: even added costs for specialty dining (though the prices are no higher than other lines and lower than some) could upset people but cancelling fireworks? Some people are looking for reasons to be upset, just like when Sheehan stopped the little glass of bubbly when we entered the ship, or took away the chocolate candies on our pillow or the coffee makers.

You see companies doing this all the time - Jetblue is a great airline with free checked bags, now they are joining the bandwagon and will begin charging for bags. So silly a quick money grab instead of marketing the fact they are pretty much the only airline left that does not charge for bags. Higher ups in these companies really have to get a grip

I was around when Sheehan took over and the OP is spot on. Del Rio is dishonest and is using loopholes to suck people into booking cruises with a website that doesn't reflect the changes. Port times are now reduced on most itineraries and the new shortened times don't show on the website when booking the cruise. Emails are sent out after the booking cancellation with no penalties informing the customer of the changes. I was always a cheerleader for NCL during the Sheehan regime, but not anymore. NCL now sell cruises, then change the deal. Totally dishonest in my book. They seem to think we're all stupid. Taking more and more away and then trying to tell us they are enhancing the experience. My last two cruises with Fidal Del Rio at the helm definitely weren't enhanced.

Some of you say you were around when Sheehan took over and yet, you seem to have forgotten all the griping when he made changes at the beginning? I guess my memory is better than I thought cause I sure remember.

I was thinking the same thing: increase DSC, ok, I see some being upset, Room service charge, yes, that would be a shocker to those who use it: even added costs for specialty dining (though the prices are no higher than other lines and lower than some) could upset people but cancelling fireworks? Some people are looking for reasons to be upset, just like when Sheehan stopped the little glass of bubbly when we entered the ship, or took away the chocolate candies on our pillow or the coffee makers.

Someone should start a thread about the things that Sheehan took away to remind people that these things happen

Someone should start a thread about the things that Sheehan took away to remind people that these things happen

Let's start with several dishes like lobster tail and escargot going to specialty restaurants, cutbacks in service, raising the DSC, no wine when embarking, no chocolates, Latidudes program perks cutbacks, etc. I sure there's more that Sheenan cutback and change beforehand that Del Rio has his work cut out for himself.

I very much saw competitive pricing in Europe this summer with NCL. We priced out Epic vs Allure- same mega ship comparison. Several hundreds of dollars per person in difference and virtually the same itinerary. We sailed with NCL even given the recent policy changes because we were past final payment but I'll tell you... I'm not such a fan anymore. We are back with Celebrity and will watch NCL from the sidelines as we watch these changes play out under Del Rio.