On Board Purchase with Elite Member

trbarton

I am lost. We always get the 10% off coupon and we are not elite.

We sail in suites might be the difference. Elites are not the only ones to get it.

IF you spend a lot the cruise before in the shops you get it too.

Also if I remember right there is a 10% coupon in the "coupon book" for jewelry over 100 dollars. Everyone gets the "coupon book" AKA coasters.

I am lost. We always get the 10% off coupon and we are not elite.

We sail in suites might be the difference. Elites are not the only ones to get it.

IF you spend a lot the cruise before in the shops you get it too.

Also if I remember right there is a 10% coupon in the "coupon book" for jewelry over 100 dollars. Everyone gets the "coupon book" AKA coasters.

If the 10% discount coupon you mention is good for the whole cruise, that's a different animal. We don't sail in suites but sometimes are invited to an "event" in Facets early in the cruise. There we are given a 10% coupon good in all the shops for the whole cruise. It is in addition to any other discount, including the Elite discount and coupons. Each time we were told we got the card due to large purchases on our previous cruise. If you haven't been the big spender, I would think you are correct in thinking that Suite passengers get the discount as well.

Edited by beg3yrs

Not too sure about this; but if a purchase is over a certain $ amount, Customs is notified and the purchase must be declared.

So, the Black Card person would have a Customs notification on his record.

I believe the owner of the item would be the one to make the declaration. If the purchaser gifts the item, the person who received it as a gift is obligated to declare it.

Lew

From time-to-time, Caribill posts a link to a picture of the

credit card logo decals in the shop window/door.

This is a link from a previous post. Credit to Caribill.

http://s122.photobucket.com/user/caribill/media/094122110Chargecardsacceptedinboutiques101_9622_zpsf156741c.jpg.html?sort=3&o=162

Not saying its not possible. I remember seeing those stickers.

It has never crossed my mind to even ask about charging my card directly.

They still go on my card of choice anyway through my shipboard account.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Not too sure about this; but if a purchase is over a certain $ amount, Customs is notified and the purchase must be declared.

I believe the owner of the item would be the one to make the declaration. If the purchaser gifts the item, the person who received it as a gift is obligated to declare it.

Lew

Correct -- The Owner should make the Customs Declaration.

However, the Ship's Record, to Customs, would be on the Black Card holder's Folio account.

Not a customs expert, at all; would think that both people involved would have to appear at Customs.

Customs may request a Bill-0f-Sale showing true ownership.

As I say, not too sure about this.

Yes. This is correct. I don't know the amount, though.

Interesting. No flames please, just a discussion ..

Facets has always stamped my receipts with a "US Goods Returning" stamp and I was told that I would not have to declare those purchases since these articles, in the view of US Customs, had "not technically" left the US.

Facets has always stamped my receipts with a "US Goods Returning" stamp and I was told that I would not have to declare those purchases since these articles, in the view of US Customs, had "not technically" left the US.

As I said before we have made sizable purchases and have never had a stamp.

I always thought it was up to the citizen to declare when you return?

As I said before we have made sizable purchases and have never had a stamp.

I always thought it was up to the citizen to declare when you return?

Make a comment about having to declare your purchase and the stamp magically appears.

I'm assuming by your second statement you are referring to Princess notifying customs about large purchases. Yes, I too had thought it was up to the person entering the country as well. News to me that Princess does this as I would think Princess would notify you if they did.

In the jewelery store, you can usually pay directly with a credit card,

rather than cruise card..

Really?? Did not know this. We thought all purchases has to be on your cruise card. I thought it had something to do with customs???

My brother on a recent sailing with us purchase a Tag watch, well i purchased it being Elite and he gave me the cash to settle my credit card, the saving was over $140, arroyo really saying this is cheating and i shouldn't of done this

I am not an expert but have given Facets a lot of business over the years. So here is my take on the subject:

Yes, you have the 10% Elite discount

Then the 10% Boutique discount on the first couple of days of purchases of $100 or more (but not on sale items).

If you are a VIP (spent x amount of dollars), there is an additional 10% discount taken after the others.

Yes, you can charge it to another card. Most often, you will need to ask, they automatically put it on your cruise card.

Yes, this discount is good at all Boutique functions including the "Outlet" sales and tables around deck 7. Haven't tried it for liquor or cigarettes.

Yes, you have to declare the purchase, even if the sales receipt is stamped "US Goods Returning". Never been stopped or questioned about my purchases. My best guess would be that the "recipient" should let buyer walk it off the ship....just in case.

My brother on a recent sailing with us purchase a Tag watch, well i purchased it being Elite and he gave me the cash to settle my credit card, the saving was over $140, arroyo really saying this is cheating and i shouldn't of done this

I expect you should not have. I liken this to shopping at the BX or PX. Some things are discounted there. Friends of mine know I shop there and have, on occasion, asked me if I will buy higher ticket items for them and then reimburse me. The answer is, invariably, "No". This may not be an exact comparison because DoD prohibits resale of BX purchases. Maybe Princess does not.

Frankly, all the hints at how to subvert the perks really irritates me (not directed at antsp, because his/her question was an honest one. DH and I made elite. We are looking forward to the perks. Unfortunately, many of those are diluted by people wanting to help their friends or even someone they don't know out, like the woman who stood in the bar and gave out her room number to complete strangers could drop off laundry to her because she was elite. Frankly, that's beyond the pale. If elites continue the practice of giving their perks away. . .it is entirely possible that we could lose some.

Honesty, is apparently, not the best policy anymore. Whatever you can get away with has replaced it. Again, not directed at antsp.

Lani

Not saying its not possible. I remember seeing those stickers.

It has never crossed my mind to even ask about charging my card directly.

They still go on my card of choice anyway through my shipboard account.

There was a poster who wanted to purchase a surprise gift,

and didn't want the spouse seeing it on the onboard statement.

The Elite discount is just that. A discount for those who have earned the elite status. If someone wants the discount then earn it. People who try to get around the rules just mess it up for other in the future. That is why things are taken away from us. Just look at what people sneaking alcohol on board Carnival ships have caused the removal of the privilege of bring on your own water and soft drinks.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

The Elite discount is just that. A discount for those who have earned the elite status. If someone wants the discount then earn it. People who try to get around the rules just mess it up for other in the future. That is why things are taken away from us. Just look at what people sneaking alcohol on board Carnival ships have caused the removal of the privilege of bring on your own water and soft drinks.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

Wasn't it the same reason the free internet was changed:confused:, eligible passengers with unlimited internet were letting everyone use their log in:confused:

Wasn't it the same reason the free internet was changed:confused:, eligible passengers with unlimited internet were letting everyone use their log in:confused:

I think the internet thing was with suites not Elite benefits.

I think the internet thing was with suites not Elite benefits.

Platinum and Elite benefits used to include unlimited Internet. Even before the suites lost their free internet access, the Platinum and Elite benefit was cut back to the number of minutes allowed today.

I think the cutback was for two reasons. One was, of course, the number of people who let others use their name and password to get free Internet.

The other was the proliferation of devices that could use Internet.

When the benefit was first offered for Platinum, Elite and suites, the only places the benefit could be used was the Internet Cafe (no more than about two dozen computers, usually less) and the computers in suites.

Now, almost every passenger has an Internet enabled device. The number of people that could potentially want to access the Internet at the same time has gone from less than three dozen to (on the larger ships) over 3500. Although they certainly would not all actually try to use the Internet at the same time, the ship's Internet bandwidth can't handle more than a fraction of those that may want to.

And, of course, demand for bandwidth also includes the crew. What initially was access from only a relative few computers in the crew's Internet room is now, similar to passengers, almost every crew member having an Internet accessible device. At least a good number of the crew will be working at every hour, so the potential for all of them wanting to sign on at the same time is not there.

The Elite Internet perk was changed several years ago when Princess changed service providers. You used to just be able to swipe your card to connect and many, many people (not just kids) were handing their card to others to use the Internet. People and kids hogged the computers for literally hours and there were always very long waits to use one.

With the "new" system, a login and password were required which cut down on abuse, and ship-wide WiFi was implemented. IMHO, the available Elite Internet credit is sufficient for me and probably most people.

I will bet that Princess cares less about someone using their cruise status to help a friend than the Elite level passengers do.

You may be right. Princess is still making money, and they may not have gotten any of it without an Elite passenger "helping" a friend.

I will bet that Princess cares less about someone using their cruise status to help a friend than the Elite level passengers do.

Amazon Prime was also having a problem with customers sharing Prime benefits in ways that were not intended.

They solved the problem by saying any adult allowed to use your Prime account could also use your credit card to charge anything purchased at Amazon.