Staying in contact on board

samgrab

Hi all...I am doing my first cruise in September to Bermuda. I will be on the Breakaway. I am travelling with 5 other friends. We will be in 3 different rooms all over the ship. My question is how do we stay in contact during the cruise since there will be no cell reception? We will all at some point be doing our own things and then obviously want to meet up but the Breakaway is huge! I know about iconcierge. Is it worth it? Any other tips or hints for finding each other?

Talk to each other.

The cabin phones have voice mail.

The ship isn't all that big. Figuring out a likely place to find someone is pretty easy.

Yes, it's easier than you might anticipate. Even though the ship is huge, much of it is cabins and when it comes to public areas it is pretty easy to predict where they might be based on the time of day and their likes (mid-day at the pool or buffet, evening in one of the lounges, etc.) Also there are (internal use) phones all over the ship so you can call your friends' cabins and leave a voice mail without even returning to your cabin to make the call. In the "olden days" we used to rely on post-it notes and that worked fine too. We'd leave one stuck on their door noting the time and where we went or planned to be later. When we cruised with family I used to bring a magnetic pad and pen for each door so notes could be left.

Hi all...I am doing my first cruise in September to Bermuda. I will be on the Breakaway. I am travelling with 5 other friends. We will be in 3 different rooms all over the ship. My question is how do we stay in contact during the cruise since there will be no cell reception? We will all at some point be doing our own things and then obviously want to meet up but the Breakaway is huge! I know about iconcierge. Is it worth it? Any other tips or hints for finding each other?

If you're going to have your phone with you most/all of the time anyway (tracking steps, playing games, listening to music) then the iConcierge is a great thing to have. We've used it several times on our last several NCL cruises and liked it a lot.

Weird fact - we were able to see when we got texts through the app when on shore and using normal data/different wifi, but weren't able to see what the text actually said.

While the ship SEEMS huge, there are only so many public spaces....making tentative plans will let you know where everyone else will be. And, you'll find that everyone gravitates to the same places over and over and over....It's not as hard to "find" each other as you are imagining.

I haven't used it, but the $7.95 (or whatever it is) per phone to text each other on board has received good reviews from others.

This is the first I've heard of this option. How and where do you sign up for this? Is that price good for the entire cruise? We have eight people going on the Spirit Grand Mediterranean for 12 days and I'd really like to know! Thanks.

This is the first I've heard of this option. How and where do you sign up for this? Is that price good for the entire cruise? We have eight people going on the Spirit Grand Mediterranean for 12 days and I'd really like to know! Thanks.

Edit: never mind

It isn't available on Spirit

Edited by LrgPizza

Eat and drink tend to determine the main meeting places when on the ship

We find it helps to have at least some idea of time for main events like dinner and a pre dinner meeting place that way you just turn up when you are ready.

We try to use the same area of the buffet to make it easier to find people say for breakfast/snacks and avoid the port rush.

As others say the reality is ships only have 2 public areas(each a couple of decks,sometimes 3) one inside and one out and you tend to pick spots in each of those as main hanging out places.

We just used iconcierge on the Breakaway, and it worked great. Not only can you text/call/voicemail other users, but the app provides instant viewing of all daily activities on board and your account review. Dining and entertainment reservations can also be made right from your phone. While there are some things that we feel could be improved upon or added to the app, it is well worth the $7.95 per device.

Like others say, iconcierge is an option.

I've brought along post it notes (we've used regular ones and magnetic post it pads) and stuck them to all my traveling companions doors along with a mini pen. We could leave messages on our own or each others doors. It worked well for us.

Edited by Hopes4