First cruise as a wheelchair user

berlingo

I love cruising with Princess and am counting the days to our Med cruise on the Caribbean Princess in a couple of weeks.

However this cruise will be a little different. Following my treatment for Ovarian Cancer this will be my first as a person with disabilities. Due to fatigue, weakness and poor stamina my mobility fluctuates and I have decided to hire a powered wheelchair. I intend to use this when I need to but will also walk (and dance if at all possible) whenever I am able to.

I am anxious to be a considerate and courteous :)wheelchair user on ship and in the ports. Any advice and tips from others experience as a wheelchair user or as an able bodied fellow passenger would be gratefully received.

Also I have been told many times that I "do not look like there is anything the matter " with me and I am hoping not to use the wheelchair constantly. I have read complaints about people "pretending" to need a wheelchair and then being seen walking around the ship. Is there anything I can do to avoid being labelled this way? And finally is anyone likely to challenge me about the validity of my disability?

Many thanks Julia

I love cruising with Princess and am counting the days to our Med cruise on the Caribbean Princess in a couple of weeks.

However this cruise will be a little different. Following my treatment for Ovarian Cancer this will be my first as a person with disabilities. Due to fatigue, weakness and poor stamina my mobility fluctuates and I have decided to hire a powered wheelchair. I intend to use this when I need to but will also walk (and dance if at all possible) whenever I am able to.

I am anxious to be a considerate and courteous :)wheelchair user on ship and in the ports. Any advice and tips from others experience as a wheelchair user or as an able bodied fellow passenger would be gratefully received.

Also I have been told many times that I "do not look like there is anything the matter " with me and I am hoping not to use the wheelchair constantly. I have read complaints about people "pretending" to need a wheelchair and then being seen walking around the ship. Is there anything I can do to avoid being labelled this way? And finally is anyone likely to challenge me about the validity of my disability?

Many thanks Julia

Keep in mind that in many ports around the Med you may encounter problems with uneven surfaces and stairs (no ADA in Europe). You might want to do research in advance on specific things you want to do and see how accessible they might be. That might impact the type of chair you get.

Good luck.

I would not worry about what others think, in terms of your abilities or disabilities. I sometimes walk with a small Hugo quad cane, and sometimes need to be in a wheelchair for distance. It all depends on my stamina and what kind of a day I am having.

I can climb a few stair steps, walk a block or two with my cane and manage the Light level (Non-Walking) Tours some of the time. With only 20% lung capacity heat/humidity and elevation also play a part in my endurance.

From the outside I just look like an overweight middle aged lady. It is not readily apparent that antibiotics have 'blown out' almost all of one patellar tendon. Basically that connects the thigh bone to the leg bone, keeps the knee cap in place and helps to prevent the two bones rubbing together. It also aids in the ability to stand from a seated position.

So what if someone imagines I am just out of shape and lazy. I'm not likely to whip out my permanent disability card for just any Nosey Parker, although I've done due diligence and notified the access department for each Cruise Line as directed, so they can help me have the best cruising experience possible, and also know my location, (hint, embedded in those little cruise cards), in the event of an actual ship's emergency.

With either a wheelchair or scooter, you need to keep it in your stateroom, not parked out in the hallways. Generally you will need a handicapped berth, with the extra room for this equipment as well as a bathroom set up with no thresh hold shower and extra grab bars and a shower chair, which comes in extra handy when you are feeling weak or a mite unsteady and the ship may be rolling about.

Sometimes, with only a foldable light wheelchair, a regular cabin might suit some. You will have parking set up in the MDR, special seating set aside in the theatre and possibly larger showrooms. There is also some AC seating set aside in the buffets.

It is easier to get around the main decks than the stateroom areas with narrow hallways and sometimes linen carts taking up much of that space.

You might not be able to use your power chair in certain port stops, and probably not at all in places you'll tender.

My own foldable rental WC is 48 pounds. Up to 60 pounds they will usually help with it on gangways; exception when particular gangway is very steep...had that happen in Alaska, for example.

I know it will seem scary and alien the first time you travel like this, but I do hope you are treated with courtesy and understanding . It is a real eye-opener to get about in this manner. In our case, the elevators proved the most trying, and while I endeavored to just go with the flow it was a good deal more irksome for DH, my dedicated pusher.

CaseyandOmarconciergeNCLSky4nightBahamasUTI.jpg.f148267d5e8722f247fb7bec06df2aca.jpg

Edited by kcfoxy

I have been on the Caribbean Princess for 5 cruises this year with my wife who uses a wheelchair.

There are no special seating in the buffet area. In the buffet area staff will help with service and carry plates to your table.

In the theatre the only spots are in the very last row but people that can walk some can leave their chair against the back wall and go down the stairs.

Most of the ship is easy to get around but their are a few heavy doors such as to the promenade area and getting to the forward elevator from the pool deck.

Google some of the places you want to go for photos to get an idea of what side walks and other areas will be like.

If you use a chair that is powered it will be easier to get around (more independent) but unless it folds it will be hard to do any tours that require transportation.

The closer your cabin is to a bank of elevators the less the issue of steward carts blocking the hallway.

We have never had an issue with other passengers but I could imagine that if someone in a chair went around demanding special service and then was seen easily walking other times some people may make comments.

I would not worry about what others think, in terms of your abilities or disabilities. I sometimes walk with a small Hugo quad cane, and sometimes need to be in a wheelchair for distance. It all depends on my stamina and what kind of a day I am having.

I can climb a few stair steps, walk a block or two with my cane and manage the Light level (Non-Walking) Tours some of the time. With only 20% lung capacity heat/humidity and elevation also play a part in my endurance.

From the outside I just look like an overweight middle aged lady. It is not readily apparent that antibiotics have 'blown out' almost all of one patellar tendon. Basically that connects the thigh bone to the leg bone, keeps the knee cap in place and helps to prevent the two bones rubbing together. It also aids in the ability to stand from a seated position.

So what if someone imagines I am just out of shape and lazy. I'm not likely to whip out my permanent disability card for just any Nosey Parker, although I've done due diligence and notified the access department for each Cruise Line as directed, so they can help me have the best cruising experience possible, and also know my location, (hint, embedded in those little cruise cards), in the event of an actual ship's emergency.

With either a wheelchair or scooter, you need to keep it in your stateroom, not parked out in the hallways. Generally you will need a handicapped berth, with the extra room for this equipment as well as a bathroom set up with no thresh hold shower and extra grab bars and a shower chair, which comes in extra handy when you are feeling weak or a mite unsteady and the ship may be rolling about.

Sometimes, with only a foldable light wheelchair, a regular cabin might suit some. You will have parking set up in the MDR, special seating set aside in the theatre and possibly larger showrooms. There is also some AC seating set aside in the buffets.

It is easier to get around the main decks than the stateroom areas with narrow hallways and sometimes linen carts taking up much of that space.

You might not be able to use your power chair in certain port stops, and probably not at all in places you'll tender.

My own foldable rental WC is 48 pounds. Up to 60 pounds they will usually help with it on gangways; exception when particular gangway is very steep...had that happen in Alaska, for example.

I know it will seem scary and alien the first time you travel like this, but I do hope you are treated with courtesy and understanding . It is a real eye-opener to get about in this manner. In our case, the elevators proved the most trying, and while I endeavored to just go with the flow it was a good deal more irksome for DH, my dedicated pusher.

THANK YOU! That was a concern of mine, how would the staff locate me in an emergency situation? I am keeping a carry on sized suitcase and a walking stick on my walking frame so I have some mobility with the handle of the case in 1 hand and the stick in the other for short distances when boarding or disembarking an aircraft for example. My TA has already informed Princess Cruises about my disabilities when I booked the Window Suite-I also spoke to them and answered some questions to clarify something.

I agree with other people not understanding stamina limitations! I regularly get told I'm fat and lazy by a family member, I called her a bully last time, and she sure didn't like this worm turning on her! Her own son was cheering me loudly!

Enjoy your cruise!

THANK YOU! That was a concern of mine, how would the staff locate me in an emergency situation?

Of course, if you are not in your cabin, they have no way of locating you.

However, if you are concerned about being helped if you are in your cabin when an emergency occurs, Princess does have that covered.

Soon after boarding let the Passenger Services Desk know you would need assistance in case of emergency. Then if an emergency occurs, they will send someone to your cabin to assist you in getting to the muster area.

Guarantee you someone will say "I saw her board in a chair now she doesn't need it, rorting the system."

You may not hear it, but it'll be said, just ignore it. One bloke actually said it about me in DW's hearing, I thought she was going to throw him overboard.

Guarantee you someone will say "I saw her board in a chair now she doesn't need it, rorting the system."

You may not hear it, but it'll be said, just ignore it. One bloke actually said it about me in DW's hearing, I thought she was going to throw him overboard.

Now if DD was there she would have.

Keep in mind that in many ports around the Med you may encounter problems with uneven surfaces and stairs (no ADA in Europe). You might want to do research in advance on specific things you want to do and see how accessible they might be. That might impact the type of chair you get.

Good luck.

Hi,

You are right the ADA doesn't exist in Europe, but there is plenty of disability (equality) legislation in each European Union country.

One thing to consider is that you are going to countries where their culture is different to yours so things may be done differently.

As it has been mentioned the Disability section of this forum can be very helpful.

Don't worry about other people, worry about yourself. It is their intolerance and bad attitude not yours.

Pete

Julia

Don't worry about it. You can ignore the passengers who are rude you wont have to see them after the cruise, the crew will bend over backwards to help.

Make sure you ring Southampton and let Princess know you are using a wheelchair, it makes things a little easier as they are pre-warned.

Also you will find that boarding is a little easier.

Are you on the Aug 15 sailing? If so we'll be there too - and my father will be using a mobility scooter to get around. He can walk short distances but finds the scooter much easier.

from previous experience when booking tours would suggest if you can, book privately not use the ship tours as you can tailor them to get you where you want. Also if you use a blue badge - take it with you - you may find it useful if you have private tours booked, the drivers can then use any disabled spots.

Wow - thank you for your very kind and informative responses.

I have informed Southampton Princess and they have offered me assistance boarding but it had not occurred to me about letting reception know so thank you very much for that.

We are not in a disabled cabin although I appreciate this would probably have been easier. We booked 10 months ago and it just did not occur to me that I may need one. This is a little embarrassing as I happen to be a Rehab Therapist! Hopefully the powered wheelchair should be okay as it folds up like a manual chair apparently.

Ann we are on the August 15th sailing and am not planning on doing any ship excursions but we are hoping to do a couple of private trips.

As far as other people judging me goes I will try not to let it bother me. I am sure there will be many more good, kind people on board.

One thing I am a little concerned about is the Muster which can be a bit of a scrum. Standing is difficult and I am a slow walker so should I take my chair but can I use the lifts if I do?

Julia

One thing I am a little concerned about is the Muster which can be a bit of a scrum. Standing is difficult and I am a slow walker so should I take my chair but can I use the lifts if I do?

Julia

You can go early to your Muster station, and plan to wait till the crowd recedes when it's over. Or you can wait by the elevators, and somebody from the crew will accompany you on an elevator - they turn them off, but the crew has a key to make them work.

Wow - thank you for your very kind and informative responses.

I have informed Southampton Princess and they have offered me assistance boarding but it had not occurred to me about letting reception know so thank you very much for that.

We are not in a disabled cabin although I appreciate this would probably have been easier. We booked 10 months ago and it just did not occur to me that I may need one. This is a little embarrassing as I happen to be a Rehab Therapist! Hopefully the powered wheelchair should be okay as it folds up like a manual chair apparently.

Ann we are on the August 15th sailing and am not planning on doing any ship excursions but we are hoping to do a couple of private trips.

As far as other people judging me goes I will try not to let it bother me. I am sure there will be many more good, kind people on board.

Julia

Julia, you will go to muster a little early so that you may use the lifts and avoid all the crowds. Also, wait a bit while the room empties and the elevators will be more clear of passengers. Don't rush.....you're on vacation! Muster will be held in one of the lounges and you will be able to sit down. If you let one of the crew know that you MUST sit, they will make sure that you are made comfortable.