I wonder if it was Royal?

I guess it could be any line, because the process is universally bad. But I suspect as Virgin becomes a reality, it's going to force the other lines to get their act together.

Article on Fox News interviewing Virgin Cruise CEO Tom McAlpin, and he mentioned this: "here is a funny story; I just took a cruise I won't mention (which one), but the online booking process got so complicated, even for me, that I just gave up and called a travel agent. We want to simplify everything - booking, inclusiveness, the experience, everything."

All the mass market cruise lines better take notice of Virgin.

I was an early customer and huge fan of Virgin Atlantic--a real game changing international airline. Once Richard B sets his sights on an industry, you can be sure that he will upset the apple cart and status quo behaviors of the top players in the space. I for one welcome his entrance into cruising as it seems like a natural move for Virgin and he has a relatively complacent and inert group of competitors.

Fasten your seat belts cruising fans, the ride will likely get much more interesting soon.

The thing that interests me about a brand new line, is they can create the experience from the ground up, without any fear of upsetting loyal customers. I bet you'll see a whole new approach to so many things- dining, entertainment, amenities.

Imagine if RCI or another line suddenly didn't have a loyal following of long time cruisers who are used to a particular experience. I think the brand loyalty and recognition (i.e. Diamon Plus and Pinnacle) can really sometimes hold the industry back. There is a fear of disappointing a loyal base with change. Virgin won't have that at the start.

I guess it could be any line, because the process is universally bad. But I suspect as Virgin becomes a reality, it's going to force the other lines to get their act together.

Article on Fox News interviewing Virgin Cruise CEO Tom McAlpin, and he mentioned this: "here is a funny story; I just took a cruise I won't mention (which one), but the online booking process got so complicated, even for me, that I just gave up and called a travel agent. We want to simplify everything - booking, inclusiveness, the experience, everything."

Never have a problem booking with RCL, and never use a travel agent......:)

I really havent ever had a bookin issue myself, or any issues at all, for that matter... I have a feeling I may be in the minority.

I have booked all cruises online and have never had an issue with any aspect of the booking process! KNOCK ON WOOD! :cool:

Never have a problem booking with RCL, and never use a travel agent......:)

I'm happy for you. But it says something about the cumbersome and not so user friendly format that cruises tend to have a higher percentage of booking through various agencies than land based leisure travel.

I haven't cruised with RCI in close to a year. But I will say, while I too have navigated it succesfully, it always leaves me shaking my head that the system is so poorly designed, with such non-intuitive operations.

Furthermore, there have been an abundance of reports on here recently about various problems with bookings.

I'm glad you've navigated it well. But I think anyone that thinks the current system is actually good, my be willfully burying their proverbial head in the sand.

I would certainly try cruising with Virgin. I love flying Virgin Atlantic.

Love flying Virgin America when we get the chance in the US. Not up here.:(

I think he will shake things up in the cruise world for sure!!!!

Their New web site is a clicking and refreshing constant experience. Do not like it! You can manage but that isn't what they should be aiming for. More friendly and easy is the aim, not frustration.

Edited by CVU

The thing that interests me about a brand new line, is they can create the experience from the ground up, without any fear of upsetting loyal customers. I bet you'll see a whole new approach to so many things- dining, entertainment, amenities.

Imagine if RCI or another line suddenly didn't have a loyal following of long time cruisers who are used to a particular experience. I think the brand loyalty and recognition (i.e. Diamon Plus and Pinnacle) can really sometimes hold the industry back. There is a fear of disappointing a loyal base with change. Virgin won't have that at the start.

I agree with you on that one, I´m not sure yet if it´s a good or a bad Thing though;)

I would certainly try cruising with Virgin. I love flying Virgin Atlantic.

At this Point I have to admit I can´t say for sure if I would cruise with them or not.

To make that decision I really Need to know a lot more about the offered product.

The fact they are running a succesful Airline, does not make them a good cruise line and especially not a good cruise line for me.

The last time someone owning an Airline starting a cruiseline I knew I would never cruise with them (OK, I´d not fly with them either:eek:)

EasyJet and EasyCruise anyone?

What is Virgin's price point? If they are up there with Crystal or Seven Seas, RCI isn't going to have much to worry about. If they plan to compete directly with the big three (RCI, CCL, NCL), then yes, RCI should be a little concerned. Reading more about Virgin's concept, they sound like more of a nitch, smaller ship line, not really directly competing with the family oriented mega-ships.

I wouldn't get too excited. Virgin starts cruising in 2020.

If he finds the on-line booking process so complicated, he probably will find running a cruise line an impossibly complicated process.

I'm happy for you. But it says something about the cumbersome and not so user friendly format that cruises tend to have a higher percentage of booking through various agencies than land based leisure travel.

I haven't cruised with RCI in close to a year. But I will say, while I too have navigated it succesfully, it always leaves me shaking my head that the system is so poorly designed, with such non-intuitive operations.

Furthermore, there have been an abundance of reports on here recently about various problems with bookings.

I'm glad you've navigated it well. But I think anyone that thinks the current system is actually good, my be willfully burying their proverbial head in the sand.

RCI still wants you to use a TA. They have events specifically for them, and even have groups of them touring ships before departure.

It's not really in their best interest to make it super easy to book on line without human interaction, as it takes away from one of the big groups that make sure they are full.

Since airlines are largely buses that fly, they all had to adapt the online booking systems, but cruise ships are more like resorts. And many of those would rather you talk to someone.

Until cruise lines stop giving out benefits to big group bookings, TA's are going to be a big part of cruising. Which means that direct on line booking that is super easy likely will not happen without a fight.

Of the many cruises we've taken, one was booked on line. The rest were person to person talking.

Loved Virgin Atlantic and what it brought as competition against the traditional airlines.

Without knowing the ships, amentities, itineraries, etc. I cant say that I definitely would try Virgin Cruises but I can say that I definitely want to :)

On the TA side, I use TA for all my cruises, not because I want to but because they are consistently cheaper than booking direct with RCL. If I could get the same discounts direct I would be happy to do so.

Starting in 2020 Virgin Cruises will take delivery of their first ship and have it sailing 7 night itineraries departing on Sundays from Miami. No details beyond that are known, but I would expect the typical Oasis like alternating itineraries. What will be really interesting is finding out if they will be partnering with another line for use of their private island.

The last time someone owning an Airline starting a cruiseline I knew I would never cruise with them (OK, I´d not fly with them either:eek:)

EasyJet and EasyCruise anyone?

First, comparing Virgin to EasyJet is kind of apples to oranges. Second, it's not about "owning an airline" or a cruise line. It's about developing a business. And you're talking about an organization that has been quite successful doing so on a number of occasions...

First, comparing Virgin to EasyJet is kind of apples to oranges. Second, it's not about "owning an airline" or a cruise line. It's about developing a business. And you're talking about an organization that has been quite successful doing so on a number of occasions...

I never compared Virgin to EasyJet, I just gave an example of another Airline owner going into the cruise Business. No more no less.

At this Point it´s a moot Point to me, as there´s years to come until they set sail and release their actual product. They might be something I want to try or they might be something I am not inclined to try. I will make the decision once their new product is known.

However I don´t think they will be a game changer pretty soon. There´s first years to come for their first ship, but to build a fleet like the current mass market lines will likely take decades.

I´m not saying they won´t be successful and I´m all for more variety, so I´m wishing them all the best. I just don´t see Carnival Corp., RCCL or MSC shivering.

Of the many cruises we've taken, one was booked on line. The rest were person to person talking.

Don't use RCL web site except for info, then I call RCL and book Person to Person as well. Get my doc sent by email while still talking to the agent and verify all that is needed and then I am done!!

We like control and not going thru a TA if we want to change cabins, get a reduction, check dining times etc. No middle person. The TA perks they give are not as important as dealing with the booking ourselves.

Could you tell us what the percentage is of cruises being booked by various agnecies vs land based leisure travel...?

As someone else noted, what are the stats to back that up? And even if true, cruises are unique so I don't know that they can be compared in any way to "land based leisure travel" (whatever that means) when it comes to online booking...... I think even if true that more cruise travel is booked by agents, there is no reason to link that with online "user friendly formats". There are other reasons that some customers use travel agents etc especially for cruises. In fact I suspect there are many people who use agents to book cruises who also book their hotels and air travel online and it has nothing to do with the cruiseline websites. In fact just reading cruisecritic would tell one that many people use agents for the OBC and other perks and it has nothing to do with the website.....

We've been on 10 RCCL cruises and have always booked by phone with a very friendly and efficient representative. We travel a LOT, and everything else we do is online, but it's been such a pleasant experience by phone with RCCL we haven't seen any reason to change.

As far as someone who may start a cruiseline in 5 years with who knows how many ships? I guess that's low on my list of things to consider at this point :)

Edited by bouhunter

Exactly CVU. I dont actually Book on-line. NO WAY. I just basically build my cruise on-line. Then I call And pray to get someone that I can understand :confused:. I have never had a problem doing it this way, But i also enjoy it. I have used TA in past and I am by no means anti-TA , Like I said I just enjoy doing it. (so far) Dan