Review of Formal Nights

mcrcruiser

Just to put a bit of joviality in this thread and bit of a spin, it's much easier to pack for HAL with the formal nights than Oceania with "country club casual" that has many definitions everywhere.

But life is good as long as you are lucky enough to be on a cruise :)

Now that is funny:D. No one ever accuses me of that;). It's a struggle but I manage to do it.

Well there ya go! ;)

Depends a lot on one's wardrobe too. And the destination. People that go on cruises largely for the sun/sand/beach/pool gig should have a much easier time packing light, as the wardrobe tends to be much lighter and skimpier. Short pants and thin/small shirts weight a lot less than long pants and long sleve or heavier clothing. I have a skin condition (vitiligo) that either forces me to lather up with heavy sunscreen and/or keep mostly covered up when in the sun. So I never wear shorts. And I usually wear long sleeve shirts (unless it's just a really hot day where I'll lather up my arms). I normally prefer jeans for casual wear but they're a LOT heavier than something like khakis. Especially in large men's sizes.

Thanks goodness for luggage scales. Never really knew how much various clothes weighed until I started doing longer cruises and had to juggle clothes to get under 50 lbs.

We're also forcing ourselves to wear "dirty" clothes longer. Not really dirty per se, but we're learning to stretch the limits more on how long something like a pair of pants will go before we'd normally wash them at home.

Edited by dbsb3233

Well there ya go! ;)

Depends a lot on one's wardrobe too. And the destination. People that go on cruises largely for the sun/sand/beach/pool gig should have a much easier time packing light, as the wardrobe tends to be much lighter and skimpier. Short pants and thin/small shirts weight a lot less than long pants and long sleve or heavier clothing. I have a skin condition (vitiligo) that either forces me to lather up with heavy sunscreen and/or keep mostly covered up when in the sun. So I never wear shorts. And I usually wear long sleeve shirts (unless it's just a really hot day where I'll lather up my arms). I normally prefer jeans for casual wear but they're a LOT heavier than something like khakis. Especially in large men's sizes.

Thanks goodness for luggage scales. Never really knew how much various clothes weighed until I started doing longer cruises and had to juggle clothes to get under 50 lbs.

We're also forcing ourselves to wear "dirty" clothes longer. Not really dirty per se, but we're learning to stretch the limits more on how long something like a pair of pants will go before we'd normally wash them at home.

I do more warm weather cruises. The last one was a challenge. I did one week in Bermuda and a Canada New England. It was stupid cold for the Canada New England part in May. I get free laundry with Hal but I end up hand washing a lot too. It's been a work in progress getting my luggage weight down. I do struggle with it. I'm a gal that likes her stuff.

We really do not care what HAL or any other cruise line does with formal/gala nights.

We don't participate. We simply skate around it, dine elsewhere, and keep on doing our own thing.

As long as we have this option we are happy campers. Don't see what the big panic is all about.

All it takes to resolve the formal/gala night MDR issue is for HAL to enforce their own guidelines. They don't....so clearly HAL (and other lines with the same issue) is not serious about it.

Us? We don't care because we are usually otherwise engaged. Complete non issue for us. We do not feel that we are in any way deprived by the cruise line for not dining in the MDR. Indeed, the opposite has become our reality over the past several years and we are thankful for the alternative venues.

Edited by iancal

We really do not care what HAL or any other cruise line does with formal/gala nights.

We don't participate. We simply skate around it, dine elsewhere, and keep on doing our own thing.

As long as we have this option we are happy campers. Don't see what the big panic is all about.

All it takes to resolve the formal/gala night MDR issue is for HAL to enforce their own guidelines. The don't....so clearly HAL (and other lines with the same issue) is not serious about it.

Us? We don't care because we are usually otherwise engaged. Complete non issue for us. We do not feel that we are in any way deprived by the cruise line for not dining in the MDR, indeed the opposite have become our reality over the past several years.

Only problem is that dining elsewhere is usually either (a) expensive relative to the cost of the usually good "free" meals in the MDR, or (b) a greatly subpar dining experience (buffet). The MDR food and service for "free" is something most people prefer over the alternatives.

There is no perfect solution. Now matter how they do it, one group or another is going to feel like they're being excluded, or squeezed out, or offended, or something. But I do get the feeling that the high volume cruiselines will eventually open up MDR formal nights to just being "formal optional" (the same minimum standard for EVERY night, with a few optional "theme" nights for anyone wishing to up-dress). Those that choose to dress up above the norm can, and those that choose not to don't have to miss out on the good MDR meals and service. I suspect it's not a matter of "if", but just "when" the change is gonna take place.

Edited by dbsb3233

We do not feel excluded in any way. The fact is we have excluded ourselves...our choice.

As for the meal, we do not view that we are missing anything. And even if we did, it would have been our choice and not something imposed on us by the cruise line.

A cruise is a big open menu for us. We get choose what entertainment we want to attend, what activities, dining options, etc. Formal night is just another one of those activities on the cruise ship menu. Completely our choice to attend the MDR or give it a wide berth.

All it takes to resolve the formal/gala night MDR issue is for HAL to enforce their own guidelines. They don't....so clearly HAL (and other lines with the same issue) is not serious about it.

Us? We don't care because we are usually otherwise engaged. Complete non issue for us. We do not feel that we are in any way deprived by the cruise line for not dining in the MDR. Indeed, the opposite has become our reality over the past several years and we are thankful for the alternative venues.

You sound like candidates for Oceania- great food and no "prom nights."

We do not feel excluded in any way. The fact is we have excluded ourselves...our choice.

As for the meal, we do not view that we are missing anything. And even if we did, it would have been our choice and not something imposed on us by the cruise line.

A cruise is a big open menu for us. We get choose what entertainment we want to attend, what activities, dining options, etc. Formal night is just another one of those activities on the cruise ship menu. Completely our choice to attend the MDR or give it a wide berth.

Oh I didn't mean to suggest that you felt you were missing anything by not getting MDR meals those nights. I just meant that many others do. While we've never been denied entry to the MDR on the few cruises we didn't bring a jacket (2-3 week trips), if we had we'd have felt like we were missing out. For our tastes, the buffet may be ok for breakfast and a few lunches, but it's very subpar for dinner. And the specialty restaurants just don't seem like they're $25 better (or whatever the upcharge). Plus, they usually have the same formal night requirement anyway.

We do enjoy the routine of the nightly MDR meal. We always have a group of at least 4, and it's nice to all sit together for the evening ritual.

But everyone has different likes. For some the MDR probably gets old and they want a break from it anyway. And they're happy to pay extra for something different. Lots of different tastes.

Only problem is that dining elsewhere is usually either (a) expensive relative to the cost of the usually good "free" meals in the MDR, or (b) a greatly subpar dining experience (buffet). The MDR food and service for "free" is something most people prefer over the alternatives.

There is no perfect solution. Now matter how they do it, one group or another is going to feel like they're being excluded, or squeezed out, or offended, or something. But I do get the feeling that the high volume cruiselines will eventually open up MDR formal nights to just being "formal optional" (the same minimum standard for EVERY night, with a few optional "theme" nights for anyone wishing to up-dress). Those that choose to dress up above the norm can, and those that choose not to don't have to miss out on the good MDR meals and service. I suspect it's not a matter of "if", but just "when" the change is gonna take place.

No one has to be excluded. It's the cruisers choice. The specialty restaurants are quite good for the most part. For me being "free" doesn't mean preferred.

No one has to be excluded. It's the cruisers choice. The specialty restaurants are quite good for the most part. For me being "free" doesn't mean preferred.

It's a choice with a big condition (packing or paying extra to rent special clothes to get into the MDR), which just loops us back to the original issue.

The "choice" that many would prefer is to be able to use the MDR like they're able to any other night (without bringing/renting special clothes for a just a few hours' use).

But I know many others oppose that as well. It's a divisive issue, and no matter what they do there's gonna be unhappy people. Makes for a lively discussion, if nothing else. :D

It's a choice with a big condition (packing or paying extra to rent special clothes to get into the MDR), which just loops us back to the original issue.

The "choice" that many would prefer is to be able to use the MDR like they're able to any other night (without bringing/renting special clothes for a just a few hours' use).

But I know many others oppose that as well. It's a divisive issue, and no matter what they do there's gonna be unhappy people. Makes for a lively discussion, if nothing else. :D

I'm sorry that you feel it's a big condition. I'm tired of formal because the menu choices are now so limited. I know I have a choice, bring formal or don't go. I don't feel excluded at all. I did it on my last cruise for one of the formal nights. I didn't miss it at all.

Edited by cruz chic

I do not think that HAL's gala night dinners are really up to much....absolutely nothing special as far a we are concerned. It is pretend over substance.

We like good food. But food is not the biggest reason why we cruise. If it were, we would not select HAL based on it's mediocre MDR food (to our tastes). When we combine that with verrry slow and inconsistent MDR service and the noise level in the MDR on formal nights the decision is really made for us.

We have no problem going to a pay dining venue (Caneletto excepted) on cruise lines. It is that, the buffet, or room service. We actually had one of our best meals on a cruise ship this past Feb. It was in the buffet of the Sun Princess on formal night. Beef Wellington. Probably the best that we have ever had. We were amazed.

We plan to try Oceania-it is on our list. But we usually book late or last minute and cherry pick for great deals on itineraries that interest us. We do the same for independent trips. Always watching for a good value on Azamara and/or Oceania though.

Edited by iancal

I'm sorry that you feel it's a big condition. I'm tired of formal because the menu choices are now so limited. I know I have a choice, bring formal or don't go. I don't feel excluded at all. I did it on my last cruise for one of the formal nights. I didn't miss it at all.

We wouldn't necessarily "miss it", we just like the MDR dinner experience (food and service) for the price (include for "free") better than the alternatives.

I'd agree that the food choices are rarely

much better than they are on any other MDR night (cruiselines in general, anyway). It's pretty much just a standard MDR dinner, but that's still pretty good for the price.

Edited by dbsb3233

I think that some understanding is called for inasmuch as not everyone travels to the ship, cruises, and returns home.

Here is a great example. We did an eight week trip to Europe last Sept/Oct. Seven weeks of independent land travel. Several of each plane trips, train trips, bus rides, two ferries, and finally a fourteen day rental car changing hotels every two or three days. We did an 8 day Med cruise in week 8, then flew home.

So, given that we are not that enthralled with formal/gala nights and the fact that we only wanted to carry what we could each physically handle it was a bit of a no brainer to punt the MDR attendance and leave our fancy togs/shoes at home in the closet. We were not prepared to carry them about for 7 1/2 weeks simply for the sake of wearing them for several hours twice during the last week of the trip. Who on earth would fault us for that?

Oddly enough, on our Australian cruise in Feb. we had assigned seated. When we told our Australian table mates that we would not be there for formal night two of the couples laughed. They told us they do exactly the same when they include a cruise in their American and European travels.

So this is as much about how, where, and for how long people travel prior to, or after as it is about MDR attendance.

Edited by iancal

I think that some understanding is called for inasmuch as not everyone travels to the ship, cruises, and returns home.

Here is a great example. We did an eight week trip to Europe last Sept/Oct. Seven weeks of independent land travel. Several of each plane trips, train trips, bus rides, two ferries, and finally a fourteen day rental car changing hotels every two or three days. We did an 8 day Med cruise in week 8, then flew home.

So, given that we are not that enthralled with formal/gala nights and the fact that we only wanted to carry what we could each physically handle it was a bit of a no brainer to punt the MDR attendance and leave our fancy togs/shoes at home in the closet. We were not prepared to carry them about for 7 1/2 weeks simply for the sake of wearing them for several hours twice during the last week of the trip. Who on earth would fault us for that?

Oddly enough, on our Australian cruise in Feb. we had assigned seated. When we told our Australian table mates that we would not be there for formal night two of the couples laughed. They told us they do exactly the same when they include a cruise in their American and European travels.

So this is as much about how, where, and for how long people travel prior to, or after as it is about MDR attendance.

We've had some long convoluted trips like that, too. DH still insists on bringing his coat and tie, so I cooperate and throw in the black dress. But on those long trips, I could just as easily relax in the Lido for dinner. The Lido can be a very welcome option at times.

Here is the dress code for the Viking Star....we will be cruising them next year. "The Restaurant" is their MDR. As you can see, pretty casual ship and many folks here would probably like this dress code on HAL......but unlike HAL, you have to wear a collared shirt in the showroom.....

I will have to check the Viking boards and see if people are complaining that they have to pack long pants and collared shirts...and how does me wearing a t shirt to a show affect your vacation...

Viking Oceans dress code

"During the day on board and ashore, dress is casual including shorts, jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the pool and Sports Deck. For evenings, while there are no “formal nights,” the recommended dress is elegant casual for most restaurants, performances or other special events. Suggested attire for ladies includes a dress, or a sweater or blouse worn with a skirt or slacks; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional, but not required. Dinner in The Restaurant remains casual, with daytime dress deemed appropriate."

I do not think that HAL's gala night dinners are really up to much....absolutely nothing special as far a we are concerned. It is pretend over substance.

We like good food. But food is not the biggest reason why we cruise. If it were, we would not select HAL based on it's mediocre MDR food (to our tastes). When we combine that with verrry slow and inconsistent MDR service and the noise level in the MDR on formal nights the decision is really made for us.

We have no problem going to a pay dining venue (Caneletto excepted) on cruise lines. It is that, the buffet, or room service. .

Agree -- and said much better than I could:)

<SNIP<

>SNIP<

Your packing decisions make perfect sense.

We also want to be able to manage all our own luggage, as we usually self-disembark. Since we've never had the opportunity to do a multi-week vacation pre-cruise, we can still haul the "formal" wear. But when we do get the multi-week pre-cruise vacations, we will not be toting formal wear :)

No one that I have ever read faults anyone for choosing not to pack formal wear AND choosing to "punt" MDR attendance on Gala night.

The issue revolves around people who choose not to pack formal wear but still want to eat in the MDR on Gala night.

Edited by Pete and Judy

"The issue revolves around people who choose not to pack formal wear but still want to eat in the MDR on Gala night."

Don't you mean "Gala wear"?

No, it's mostly a reading comprehension thing.

We did a Grand Circle river cruise a few years back, and it was pretty much the same. It was GREAT! No "special dress" nights, just a reasonably nice dress code for every night. That way we got full use out of each piece of clothing (reusing as long as each person feels comfortable reusing the same outer clothing item), rather than packing a dress jacket and dress shoes just for a few hours' use.

Granted, there's only one restaurant on a river cruise boat. But it was nice to see them recognize that it's just easier on everyone this way.

Of course, there's no photo service or tux rental service onboard either, where oceanliners make money from customers via the formal night gig. (As someone else pointed out - likely the real reason why formal nights still exist.)

EDITED TO ADD: I just realized the Viking Star is an oceanliner, not a river cruise boat like most Viking ships are. Even better to see an oceanliner enact such a policy. Perhaps they're doing it since their existing river cruise clientelle is used to it this way.

Edited by dbsb3233

Exactly. We travel exactly the same way. Unfortunately on this board there are very few who do.

No matter what kind of vacation I take from diy to all-inclusive, I always pack for one elegant dinner at a minimum. Perhaps HAL could please everyone if they got a room divider or used a private dining room or opened the Pinnacle without fee for formal or gala night - and then enforced it strictly. Then those who are not inspired by the concept or have longer trips to pack for can still have dinner in the MDR and HAL could also keep their revenue for their tuxes and photos. I am always the one behind the camera so having a few photos of a trip is worth the price to me!