Please help me understand gratuities

beachlvn

On the Princess income statement, there is a line called "Gratuity Revenue". All of the monies collected under gratuity ($11.50/12.00) are placed in that bucket. The waiters, cabin attendants, and all persons who "share" the gratuity are salaried. All waiters, for example, are NOT salaried the same. Longevity and "attaboys, etc. play a role in determining a salary. Of course, the waiter/cabin attendant will keep any additional tip as long as the auto tip has not been cancelled. Just my two cents.

I did get an answer back from Princess on the 2 questions I asked about the tipping. I'll post info on what I received as soon as I get another question I asked answered.

Tom

I like to start by saying I don't think no one really know the answer.

someone told me the Maitre'd has all this information on his computer in his office. Who left the auto tip on, who took it off and who reduced it.

I don't know if this it true or false.

Tony

I like to start by saying I don't think no one really know the answer.

someone told me the Maitre'd has all this information on his computer in his office. Who left the auto tip on, who took it off and who reduced it.

I don't know if this it true or false.

Tony

Why wouldn't/shouldn't he? Whats the big deal?

Its a way for them to follow up on any service issues.

Why wouldn't/shouldn't he? Whats the big deal?

Its a way for them to follow up on any service issues.

I don't care whether there is a list or not.

If you are happy with what you do, why fret?

Mike:)

It shows on my princess profile personalizer that I can prepay the tips. Has anyone done this? Will it show up on "the list" that it was paid? I would love to have it paid before.

Since "the list" is kind of mysterious anyway (whether or not it even exists) there's no way to know if you will turn up on it or not. If you pre-pay the gratuities, you will not be counted as one who removed them from your bill. I think it makes sense to pay them before. It feels, then, as if they are just part of the fare and not some surprise charge that pops up on your final bill. It makes sense to me, anyway.

Since "the list" is kind of mysterious anyway (whether or not it even exists) there's no way to know if you will turn up on it or not. If you pre-pay the gratuities, you will not be counted as one who removed them from your bill. I think it makes sense to pay them before. It feels, then, as if they are just part of the fare and not some surprise charge that pops up on your final bill. It makes sense to me, anyway.

RCI's philosophy is to encourage as many prepaid items as possible.

They have found that onboard spending is in general not reduced when almost everything is prepaid.

In other words, those who prepay are more likely to still spend a good bit on board since they know they will not owe for those prepaid items at the end of the cruise.

It shows on my princess profile personalizer that I can prepay the tips. Has anyone done this? Will it show up on "the list" that it was paid? I would love to have it paid before.

I say "No it won't show up as Gratuities paid" list just because you prepaid them. That is because prepaying the gratuities doesnt really prepay the gratuities. It just adds an equivilent dollar amount of credit to your onboard account which means that at the end of the cruise your bill will be for all of your other spending except gratuities because you prepurchased enough OBC to cover the gratuities before you boarded the ship. And nothing would stop you from cancelling the gratuities once you are on the ship except maybe an angry mob of fellow passengers.

That said, we always prepurchase enough OBC to cover our expected amount of spending onboard including the autotips which we personally would never remove. They work harder for their money and to satisfy passengers than any other group of employees that we have ever encountered so for us the autotip is just a small well deserved raise for them all.

The wait staff and cabin stewards actual gratuities from us are what we give them at the end of the cruise in envelopes (with our name and room number written on the outside) tucked inside a "Consumate Host" card with a "Thankyou for a job well done" message written inside and a promise that we will mention their excellent service and attention to detail in the after cruise email survey.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

"The wait staff and cabin stewards actual gratuities from us are what we give them at the end of the cruise in envelopes (with our name and room number written on the outside) tucked inside a "Consumate Host" card with a "Thankyou for a job well done" message written inside and a promise that we will mention their excellent service and attention to detail in the after cruise email survey. " Terry

That is correct. They are salaried. As long as your autotip remains, any additional tip will go to the intended employee. The autotip money goes into a bucket. On the Princess Income Statement its called "Gratuity Revenue". Its another revenue stream for the cruiseline.

It is interesting how everyone is an expert on how the crew is paid and what goes on behind the scenes. I can say I speak from a bit of experience, as my BIL has been a room steward on Princess for over 20 years. He usually works on the Grand Class ships.

I can’t speak for any other department except accommodations. The stewards are paid per passenger. The rate depends on seniority and evaluations. Stewards who service mini-suites and full suites are paid more pp. An average is around $2.75 per passenger per day. Even if the passenger removes the auto-tip, the stewards are still paid their per passenger rate.

This form of payment was instituted a few years ago because of the large number of passengers removing the auto-tip. He has been on itineraries where the auto tip has been removed by almost all passengers on a regular basis. If you choose to remove the auto-tip, you are not asked any questions as to why. You are simply handed a piece of paper to sign.

All of you bragging about how much extra you tip, he would beg to differ. A couple of weeks ago only 1 cabin out of 19 left a tip, and that was $20, most cabins leave $5 or $10, if anything. The sloppiest, most demanding passengers are usually the cheapest.

The crew does not find out who removed the auto-gratuity until 2-3 days after the cruise ends. Most don’t even care, because it doesn’t matter to them anyway. They are still getting their full salary. Tips to stewards do not need to be turned in, no matter what the circumstances. No one is below deck ratting out their Pisano’s, friends and co-workers. Most crew are pretty private.

Poor or no tips is not just happening to my BIL, it is fleetwide. He would not have lasted 20 years and get excellent evaluations if he was not top notch. Face it, people are cheap. Or as they are known by the crew 'Cheapatones'.

I get a kick out of the people in the MDR on the last night of the cruise waving their white envelopes in the air. “Look at me, look at me, I’m giving an extra tip.” Then the crew opens it to see $5. I guess everyone on CC is the exception to the rule on tipping.

Besides, what business is it of anyone's how and what the crew are paid? How would you feel if your room steward upon introducing him or herself asked, "can you please tell me how much you are paid at your job? Do you get bonuses?"

Would any of you ask co-workers what their salary was or what their last review and raise was?

Just go on vacation and MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS! :rolleyes:

It is interesting how everyone is an expert on how the crew is paid and what goes on behind the scenes.

Just go on vacation and MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the insite from your BIL's life onboard.

I dont really ever see passengers waiving their white envelopes around in the dining room on the last night. I look for the opportunity to discreetly give the waiters their envelope and I have quite often left the envelope for the cabin steward on the desk in the room if, well marked to ensure that it doesn't go into the trash of course. I guess that is the difference between me who tips in addition to the autotip versus those who claim to cancel the autotip "so that they can tip in person". They want the extra attention and I don't. Of course I really think that the real goal of most of them is to not tip at all or at minimum to save money over the autotip cost.

In defense of Cruise Critic people here, many of us are more serious about cruising than others and I suspect that for the most part what people here claim to do is reasonably accurate. I certainly know that I dont tip $5 or $10 in an envelope. I have a formulae that amounts to about 30% of the autotip daily amount (so $7 total a day for the two of us) being given out over and above to cabin steward and wait staff. This way it is automatically adjusted for the length of the cruise, our last was 49 days but tips were given out three times, at the end of each of the three segments.

It is all in where you want to spend your money. I am very cheap when booking a cruise, usually Obstructed Ocean View cabin, very rarely a balcony. We get by with one car only and it is very fuel efficient. Starbucks is overpriced coffee, to me McD's is as good and a fraction of the cost. We never pay credit card interest and of the very few loans that we have ever had we paid them off ASAP.

Many or even most people would completely waste $20 on themselves rather than give $2 to someone whom its worth would be more like $50. It is all Me Me Me to so many people. I guess that I just don't think or operate like that.

And finally, I am in Canada and my US$ are now costing me over $1.30 in Canadian. We just booked our first inside room in years and years to help make up for the much higher exchange rate. Autotips will remain on and I will continue to tip in US$ as before, the crappy exchange rate isn't the crews fault. Can you see the pattern?

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

Thanks for the insite from your BIL's life onboard.

I dont really ever see passengers waiving their white envelopes around in the dining room on the last night. I look for the opportunity to discreetly give the waiters their envelope and I have quite often left the envelope for the cabin steward on the desk in the room if, well marked to ensure that it doesn't go into the trash of course. I guess that is the difference between me who tips in addition to the autotip versus those who claim to cancel the autotip "so that they can tip in person". They want the extra attention and I don't. Of course I really think that the real goal of most of them is to not tip at all or at minimum to save money over the autotip cost.

In defense of Cruise Critic people here, many of us are more serious about cruising than others and I suspect that for the most part what people here claim to do is reasonably accurate. I certainly know that I dont tip $5 or $10 in an envelope. I have a formulae that amounts to about 30% of the autotip daily amount (so $7 total a day for the two of us) being given out over and above to cabin steward and wait staff. This way it is automatically adjusted for the length of the cruise, our last was 49 days but tips were given out three times, at the end of each of the three segments.

It is all in where you want to spend your money. I am very cheap when booking a cruise, usually Obstructed Ocean View cabin, very rarely a balcony. We get by with one car only and it is very fuel efficient. Starbucks is overpriced coffee, to me McD's is as good and a fraction of the cost. We never pay credit card interest and of the very few loans that we have ever had we paid them off ASAP.

Many or even most people would completely waste $20 on themselves rather than give $2 to someone whom its worth would be more like $50. It is all Me Me Me to so many people. I guess that I just don't think or operate like that.

And finally, I am in Canada and my US$ are now costing me over $1.30 in Canadian. We just booked our first inside room in years and years to help make up for the much higher exchange rate. Autotips will remain on and I will continue to tip in US$ as before, the crappy exchange rate isn't the crews fault. Can you see the pattern?

Terry

Terry, you sound like a really great guy. As the BIL posted, what business is it of ours to know what Stewart is paid, or DR waiters?

We too go with the auto-tips and I have to presume that these are calculated to provide adequate compensation for NORMALLY EXPECTED job performance (you know how ratings work at companies when annual performances come around - you can expect your pay for normally expected job done, but not necessarily a bonus or promotion).

So, I like to let mgmt know if the employees I interact with are either Below Expected, Above Expected, or Outstanding. From what I know, that makes more difference than a few extra dollars in their pockets.

That said, I will consider additional tipping beyond the suggested auto-tips when I encounter the Above Expected and Outstanding levels.

I'm not trying to be cheap or anything, I just don't know what would be a total amount to tip for the week as an expected amount, other than what the cruise line suggests. All I know is that if I do some math, it's pretty low %-wise in the DR compared to what we would pay in a restaurant on top of a meal.

That's my two cents and a bit of uncertainty. I just do what feels right in the moment. And I'm not arguing or disagreeing with your formula - you have found a way that works for you and it's quite logical.

That's my two cents and a bit of uncertainty. I just do what feels right in the moment. And I'm not arguing or disagreeing with your formula - you have found a way that works for you and it's quite logical.

Oh absolutely...I was just saying what the formulae is that I have come up with which leaves me feeling that I have given them a small but meaningful extra amount but only because it is on top of the Autotip. $30 to $40 extra for a cabin steward or waiter on a two week cruise isn't much at all considering the level of service but on top of the regular autotip it is just a small thank you for a job well done. Considering what I suspect their regular pay is like I hope it will be meaningful to them.

What they are paid is none of our business and as some have commented in other discussions, they aren't forced to be there. Being on the ship for months away from wives, kids and other family is a big sacrifice on their part to make life for their family better. I can live without Starbucks and skimp in a few other areas and divert a few extra bucks to these hard working employees just because I am constantly amazed at the level of service they give. I have seen more irate and miserable passengers (who are ON HOLIDAY!) than crew members who are working extremely hard, long hours for months and months on end.

Terry