Trying to convert a non-cruiser

Hello everybody!

I am looking to book my first Royal Caribbean cruise and could use some assistance. My girlfriend several years ago went on a cruise and hated it and swore off cruising. Well after many years and much convincing by me she’s willing to give it another try, so I’m looking to hit a homerun. We are both early 30s, enjoy being active and looking to leave out of FL. My budget is $2500, any suggestions on which ship/room to book. Oh and we are looking to leave next Aug-Dec (2016). Definitely hoping to get the most bang for our buck. I know it’s a long way away but I was told I got the best prices if I book early. Oh and does it make a difference where I book from (what website?) Thanks for any and all advice!!

From my experience by taking people on a cruise who swore they were gonna get seasick and bored, I took them on the big ships. Took my brother on the Oasis last summer and he and his girlfriend can't wait to book another cruise. I like Oasis b/c the entertainment is wonderful, staff is nice and there is plenty to do. Just prebook all your reservations incase you choose Oasis/Allure. The balconies are great but if you can't afford a balcony, try a central park view, w/o balcony or a boardwalk w/ balcony. Also, you can book w/ rccl to get the obc they are offering and then switch to an online TA that will give you more incentives. They are out there, you just have to search. Good Luck. My personal opinion, I went on a princess cruise, and I was just bored!

If you book early you can always change your mind and get a refund also if price goes down you should be able to get that price. To save money I would not do August or any holiday weeks. Some of the slightly smaller older ships will be cheaper, you may be able to get a junior suite in your budget, but go for a balcony. I would look at RCCL site. Good luck.

Find out why your girlfriend hated cruising so you don't book a ship similar to the one she already sailed. After my first cruise, I swore I would never cruise again too and didn't for a few years. I had been on a 3 night cruise on Sovereign of the Seas (not in the fleet any longer), missed one of two ports due to a nor'easter going up the coast and rocked and rolled so bad shows were cancelled because it was too dangerous for dancers on the stage. Sea sick bags were everywhere, dining room was half empty because so many were sick, even our assistant waiter was green.

We decided to give it a try some years later but picked a bigger, newer ship on a longer itinerary. We hit perfect weather, so that started things off on the right foot. Ship was gorgeous, lots of things to do, made all ports and our cruise obsession began.:p

I would pick at least a Freedom class ship or an Oasis class ship. Lots to do, lots of different food options. August will be more expensive with lots of kids still on summer vacation. September can be cheaper but hurricanes are sometimes an issue. Holiday weeks will be very expensive and full of kids. Early December can also be cheaper.

Hello everybody!

I am looking to book my first Royal Caribbean cruise and could use some assistance. My girlfriend several years ago went on a cruise and hated it and swore off cruising. Well after many years and much convincing by me she’s willing to give it another try, so I’m looking to hit a homerun. We are both early 30s, enjoy being active and looking to leave out of FL. My budget is $2500, any suggestions on which ship/room to book. Oh and we are looking to leave next Aug-Dec (2016). Definitely hoping to get the most bang for our buck. I know it’s a long way away but I was told I got the best prices if I book early. Oh and does it make a difference where I book from (what website?) Thanks for any and all advice!!

I would suggest Freedom class ships and most definitively a balcony! Freedom of The Seas leaves from Part Canaveral & I think Independence leaves out of Lauderdale. You can get a nice balcony room on a 7 day cruise out of either of these ports for your budget. I always book thru Royal but I know many people use a travel agent. Go later in Sept or October as the Caribbean is beautiful and the kiddies are back in school so less on the ships :D. Eastern or Western is great but we prefer Eastern. Have FUN!! :o

Before we get into alot of details, let's clarify already as noted, what the GF didn't like, so as to avoid it again, and the $2,500 budget is for what?

Everything? Just the cabin?

That's a big difference.

I agree with everyone else. Book Oasis class or Freedom class. That said, if your budget allows, book Oasis class. The shows and activities on board couldn't possibly leave her bored. Book shows in advance, and yes use a TA for on board credit incentives. You'll both have a blast!

Another vote for FOS, balcony cabin. You can also get fairly decent prices in late May. Unfortunately, we always have to cruise in June/July so we get hit with the premium prices. I prefer the Western Caribbean, but you'll enjoy either itinerary. The ship is great, crew is great and the weather in May would be almost perfect.

I was very surprised when I started looking at cruises for next September that the week of Labor Day had very good prices as well. I expected it to be higher since there is a holiday in that week. But it was not the case. So if that week works for you, keep that one in mind. I too would go for a balcony cabin on a Freedom class ship.

We would definitely be another vote for booking the Oasis class!! I took my (skeptical of cruising) girlfriend on Allure in May 2014 for her first cruise and she FELL IN LOVE with it!

There are so many activities, shows, neighborhoods, restaurants, bars, and things to explore it is impossible to get bored. Just don't stress out trying to do everything haha

In a brief search it appears that September 2016 is going to be one of the more affordable months for the Oasis class out of Fort Lauderdale. There were some sailings with balcony rooms for $859-879 pp.

We had a Central Park balcony that cruise and it was really nice =)

Also, I would recommend using an online travel agent as the prices seem to always be cheaper than directly with RC...that's at least the case with the one we use!

Best of luck and Enjoy!:D

Hello everybody!

You can get Navigator for 2,308 for a junior suite 11/27/2016 7 days out of Miami, price is for 2 people, plain balcony about 500 less. Nice ship I sailed it this year and last.

Another vote for the Navigator! We sailed on the Navigator twice last year & are going again next month...before she heads to Florida. We absolutely LOVE this ship... Plenty to do... Love, Love, Love the hump Junior Suites or at least a Balcony.... Great prices in Sept... Book a year out, for sure, can cancel or change any time before final payment. And if the price drops... You can have it repriced... I ALWAYS look on Royals website & once I have decided all my preferences, I call them & book direct. Good luck!

Edited by SRV FAN

I would try a five night cruise on the Independence of the Seas and definitely book a balcony cabin. Next December there is a five night around Dec. 8th going to Cozumel and Costa Maya -- enjoyable ports.

Hope all goes well.

kathy

I was in a similar situation with my husband. He went on one cruise about 15 - 20 years ago and hated it. As others have suggested, I talked to him (and his mom, who is the person he went with) to figure out what he didn't like. It boiled down to -- long flight to get there, small ship with not a lot of activities, inside cabin, crowds, too much structure with meals and too much being "fussed" over.

Since it's been many years since we took a vacation, he agreed earlier this year to take any trip I wanted. So I looked at cruises from NY/NJ -- so we don't have to fly and a a fairly large ship (Liberty) so there will be some things to do. I found the shortest cruise offered (5 nights) to Bermuda (which is good, since he was there many years ago and liked it). I booked a suite with a fairly large balcony, so we'll have private outdoor space to retreat to if we want (we're not into sitting by the pool -- would prefer to have space to ourselves and not have to fight over chairs). And I went with My Time Dining, since that will give us flexibility in time and also because we intentionally don't want the same staff e every night. May sound weird to some, but the whole having wait staff recognize us just kind of sets our teeth on edge. We'd prefer a bit more anonymity.

We're leaving 2 weeks from Saturday, so we'll see how it goes. I hope you have good luck with your GF.

My Daughter in Law had the same problem, she hated her first cruise years ago. It was a small ship and she was so seasick. I took her on the Allure last year and she loved it. She brought a tote full of seasick remedies and did not need any of them.

You may want to stay away from Summer in the Caribbean since that often comes with many kids on the ship and she might not like that. Some of the newer ships like Oasis or Quantum class have lots more fun things to do and are less susceptible to waves and such.

Tom

Have you thought about Celebrity? It's an older demographic but the Solstice class ships are my favorite. The point is to figure out what you're looking for in ship amenities and what itinerary you want. Then chose the ship. The wife and I are doing Allure of the Seas this February.

Here is an easy way to convert a non-cruiser.

Just imagine yourself in a car for 10 hours staying at a motel with a small room a meager breakfast. Then driving for another 5 hours to your destination where you have to stay in a hotel, figure out your meals and entertainment. Then you have to do the same in reverse.

Or you pay to fly to a destination resort then you are paying resort fees and costs for food.

Now imagine yourself flying to your destination a few days before enjoy a nice hotel and then you board a sailing resort with awesome fun features, excellent food and you get to see more than one destination without doing any driving. You unpack once and let the ship take you to destinations that would otherwise be cost prohibitive to visit.

You get nice sea days where you can do a lot or nothing at all and just be lazy ordering room service or eating in the Main Dining Room with their salad bar.

$2,500 is a decent budget for an interior or ocean view cabin. What I say to you is if your budget is tight book an interior cabin as you can be outside exploring the ship and only use the cabin to sleep take a nap or freshen up and use the savings for a specialty dining restaurant or the drink package.

My opinion is totally different from everyone else's. Had I taken DH on the bigger ships when we first started cruising, he would never have set foot on a cruise ship again. We only cruise Radiance/Vision/Sovereign class ships. There is plenty to do and we never get bored!

Good luck and happy cruising!