Trying to convert a non-cruiser

Some of the best prices of the year are the last week of August and first two weeks of September. The trade off is that those weeks are during the height of hurricane season, and it is still hot in the Caribbean.

Our new favorite time to cruise! We'll be doing it again next month on FOS, beginning Labor Day weekend. Last year we had perfect weather and fairly calm seas for both weeks.

I would check multiple cruises before I settled on one. The prices may vary considerably depending upon the week you choose. As some have noted, early September prices are good. Also, the first week following Thanksgiving can be cheaper too.

You can do multiple 'mock' bookings where you pretend to do a booking on the website. You can select different cabins and different weeks. You can see how the price is affected by ship, cabin, and week.

If you have friends who have cruised before, they might be able to suggest a TA who might offer some additional perks over what the cruise line offers. Unfortunately, Cruise Critic prohibits naming TA.

I would suggest Freedom class ships and most definitively a balcony! Freedom of The Seas leaves from Part Canaveral & I think Independence leaves out of Lauderdale. You can get a nice balcony room on a 7 day cruise out of either of these ports for your budget. I always book thru Royal but I know many people use a travel agent. Go later in Sept or October as the Caribbean is beautiful and the kiddies are back in school so less on the ships :D. Eastern or Western is great but we prefer Eastern. Have FUN!! :o

The Caribbean is beautiful year round, no more so in the fall. Unless of course there is a hurricane which could be in September or October.....:D

Edited by bouhunter

Here is an easy way to convert a non-cruiser.

Just imagine yourself in a car for 10 hours staying at a motel with a small room a meager breakfast. Then driving for another 5 hours to your destination where you have to stay in a hotel, figure out your meals and entertainment. Then you have to do the same in reverse.

Or you pay to fly to a destination resort then you are paying resort fees and costs for food.

Now imagine yourself flying to your destination a few days before enjoy a nice hotel and then you board a sailing resort with awesome fun features, excellent food and you get to see more than one destination without doing any driving. You unpack once and let the ship take you to destinations that would otherwise be cost prohibitive to visit.

You get nice sea days where you can do a lot or nothing at all and just be lazy ordering room service or eating in the Main Dining Room with their salad bar.

$2,500 is a decent budget for an interior or ocean view cabin. What I say to you is if your budget is tight book an interior cabin as you can be outside exploring the ship and only use the cabin to sleep take a nap or freshen up and use the savings for a specialty dining restaurant or the drink package.

Actually 2500 is a decent budget for two for a balcony for many 7 night cruises. We are sailing with 3 people in a balcony March 16' (spring break season) for 7 nights for 2400. And 2300 for two people 7 nights Feb 17', again in a balcony. If someone is budgeting 2500 for a week for two, there is no good reason to limit themselves to an inside room. Keep in mind he wants to sell his girlfriend on cruising, I think a balcony would be a better idea than an inside................

I second the recommendations for Freedom class ships. Big enough to offer a lot without the mammoth size and poor port choices of Oasis class.

Edited by bouhunter

And I went with My Time Dining, since that will give us flexibility in time and also because we intentionally don't want the same staff e every night. May sound weird to some, but the whole having wait staff recognize us just kind of sets our teeth on edge. We'd prefer a bit more anonymity.

I don't find that weird at all. Sometimes the whole 'anticipate my needs' backfires on them. An example: I don't always want the same drink for dinner every night. I've been on a cruise where they tried to anticipate what I wanted and I ended up with a glass of water, a glass of coke, a glass of iced tea, a beer and the beer glass. It was a bit crowded at my place setting.

The upside is that I could then just hide behind my wall of beverages when the 'let me interrupt your dinner for a photo' guy came around.

Hi,

as many others have stated. I would choose a oceanview balcony on the freedom class ships. nov and december (with the exception of the holiday) is usually very reasonable. One thing you might condiser.

Instead of doing a 7 night. why not do a 4 or 5 night? That way if your friend gets sick or truly hates it... It will be over sooner.

I book the liberty all the time for 4 or 5 nights out of fort lauderdale. ( that ship is now replaced with the indepenance. ) same class of ship.

just a thought

Hello everybody!

I am looking to book my first Royal Caribbean cruise and could use some assistance. My girlfriend several years ago went on a cruise and hated it and swore off cruising. Well after many years and much convincing by me she’s willing to give it another try, so I’m looking to hit a homerun. We are both early 30s, enjoy being active and looking to leave out of FL. My budget is $2500, any suggestions on which ship/room to book. Oh and we are looking to leave next Aug-Dec (2016). Definitely hoping to get the most bang for our buck. I know it’s a long way away but I was told I got the best prices if I book early. Oh and does it make a difference where I book from (what website?) Thanks for any and all advice!!

So here's the thing, cruising ISN'T for everyone. If she's not interested, why would you work so hard to change her mind? Most of us have only a finite amount of time and resources to put towards leisure pursuits. Why would you want to push her to try something she's probably not going to enjoy?

So here's the thing, cruising ISN'T for everyone. If she's not interested, why would you work so hard to change her mind? Most of us have only a finite amount of time and resources to put towards leisure pursuits. Why would you want to push her to try something she's probably not going to enjoy?

My mother isn't a cruiser, however my father loves them. So they alternate between cruises and land based vacations as a way to make everyone happy. Also I've found a lot of people's first cruises are often short cruises on older ships with less exciting stops. These are often recipes for disappointment with younger travelers. Change the ingredients, A newer ship with more interesting offerings or itinerary, a balcony vs inside room, can result in an entirely different and more positive result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My family is cruising thanksgiving week (peak holiday) on Oasis in ocean view balcony rooms for your budget per cabin (double occupancy). Shop around and you can probably do whatever 7 night cruise you want.

My brother was bored and was not fond of a cruise we took a family on Princess years ago. He took a Royal Caribbean cruise last February and loved how much more active it was. The ship really can make a huge difference.

My opinion will echo a lot of what's already been said, but I'll share it anyway.

First, we definitely need to know what your budget of $2500 is expected to cover... everything or just the cruise fare? Looks like you live in FL, so no airfare will be needed. But there are other expenses to consider: excursions, gratuities, parking at the pier, beverages (soda or alcohol), meals ashore, travel insurance, etc. Balcony cabins are lovely, but of course, more expensive than Outside (w/ window) or Inside cabins. Your budget is definitely doable, we just need you to be more specific so that our suggestions are appropriate.

In regard to ship selection... of the choices mentioned, we've been on Freedom and Mariner (sister to Navigator). Loved both, would definitely recommend either, with a slight nod to Freedom (which, if she still sails from Port Canaveral next fall, may be a more convenient location for you). Oasis/Allure may offer a bit more wow-factor, but will likely cost more. Definitely consider them all and compare prices. Choosing a ship and cabin category should probably be dependent on why your girlfriend didn't like cruising last time. Take those reasons into consideration when making your selection.

We almost always cruise in the fall or beginning of winter, Oct - Dec. This will put you near the end of hurricane season, we've had pretty good luck in this regard. As mentioned, kids are back in school and prices are better. Caribbean temps are still very warm, we've only had one day when it rained for most of our time in port, otherwise just a very few short showers here or there.

You have the option to book directly with the cruise line and then transfer the reservation to a travel agency if you find one offering a better deal. However, you only have a certain period of time to complete the transfer (30 or 60 days? I forget). We nabbed a great deal this year, got in on a group rate through one of the online TAs... $749pp for a balcony cabin (D3) that has been consistently hovering at $1000+ on the RCI website (savings of over $700 for two with the on board credit bonus). Normally, I prefer to keep the booking direct and manage it myself, but this time it was definitely worth using a TA.

Good luck in your search!!

And I went with My Time Dining, since that will give us flexibility in time and also because we intentionally don't want the same staff e every night. May sound weird to some, but the whole having wait staff recognize us just kind of sets our teeth on edge. We'd prefer a bit more anonymity.

We're leaving 2 weeks from Saturday, so we'll see how it goes. I hope you have good luck with your GF.

So glad to hear someone else say that! I enjoy meeting people but worry it might feel a little 'forced' with the same waitstaff and table every night. At least with MTD there are options.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Hello everybody!

I am looking to book my first Royal Caribbean cruise and could use some assistance. My girlfriend several years ago went on a cruise and hated it and swore off cruising. Well after many years and much convincing by me she’s willing to give it another try, so I’m looking to hit a homerun. We are both early 30s, enjoy being active and looking to leave out of FL. My budget is $2500, any suggestions on which ship/room to book. Oh and we are looking to leave next Aug-Dec (2016). Definitely hoping to get the most bang for our buck. I know it’s a long way away but I was told I got the best prices if I book early. Oh and does it make a difference where I book from (what website?) Thanks for any and all advice!!

If she dent want to go trying to force her may not be a great idea.

Mid 30s could mean a lot of things, but maybe Royal would be good.

We can't mention web sites here.

I agree with every post. I always book through RC and if the perks are right, I transfer to a travel agent(with in 60 days). Now here is a couple of catch 22 things, booking early through RC a year or so in advance seems to be the way go now days for best prices, and you can cancel everything up to final payment and get all your money back. If you book through SOME on line travel agency, you might not get all your money back, [COLOR="Red"]cancelation fee[/COLOR].

SO ASK QUESTIONS

[quote name='dcjconsulting']Hello everybody!

I am looking to book my first Royal Caribbean cruise and could use some assistance. My girlfriend several years ago went on a cruise and hated it and swore off cruising. Well after many years and much convincing by me she’s willing to give it another try, so I’m looking to hit a homerun. We are both early 30s, enjoy being active and looking to leave out of FL. My budget is $2500, any suggestions on which ship/room to book. Oh and we are looking to leave next Aug-Dec (2016). Definitely hoping to get the most bang for our buck. I know it’s a long way away but I was told I got the best prices if I book early.[FONT=Wingdings][FONT=Wingdings][/FONT][/FONT] Oh and does it make a difference where I book from (what website?) Thanks for any and all advice!![/QUOTE]

You have already convinced her to try cruising again.....now the real question is - "Is she going with an open mind?" to the experience.

Your budget gives you lots of ability to find a great ship and itinerary to fit your time slot. What are you looking for -- less kids on board, then don't go when it is a school vacation time; very port intensive -- review the itineraries closely (S. Caribbean cruises seem to be more port intensive); lots of onboard activities -- the bigger ships fit that better, but they also have more passengers. Bigger ships could also reduce the discomfort of sea sickness or other maladies, if that might be an issue.

We met a couple on our Allure cruise in 2014. He had cruised many, many times and he was with his new wife who had never cruised. He choose Allure, because he wanted the calmest ship experience possible with the opportunity to either be very busy on board or for her to be able to 'chill out' if she preferred. He did not want it to have too many ports, because he worried that the daily excursions would be so tiring that they could not enjoy the night life.

On the first night, as we all met in the MDR, she was excited to be board -- but by day 6 of a 7 night cruise she "LOVED' being on a cruise. He made the right choice.....and so will YOU.