When are Two Sailings One Sailing

2onboardagain

I copied this from another O thread:

Yes, I am booked on the Grand Voyage 14 day....but when you are onboard they treat this as two 7 day itineraries, not the Grand Voyage. The voyage is titled in Currents as the first 7 day voyage when you first arrive and at the beginning of the 2nd 7 day voyage, the title changes again. It's not "Jewels of the Riviera" as the Grand Voyage is titled. So yes, the menus have been repeated....we are experiencing it. Not what we expected but what can you do really. I'm not complaining....just surprised.

They are talking about the menu selections. I didn't have the heart to ask him how many cruise credits he was getting, LOL

It almost seems like O is playing a bit of a sneaky game. Is it trying to minimize perks, in the form of points, to its clients?

If so, they are going down the same path as other cruise lines......:rolleyes:

I copied this from another O thread:

Yes, I am booked on the Grand Voyage 14 day....but when you are onboard they treat this as two 7 day itineraries, not the Grand Voyage. The voyage is titled in Currents as the first 7 day voyage when you first arrive and at the beginning of the 2nd 7 day voyage, the title changes again. It's not "Jewels of the Riviera" as the Grand Voyage is titled. So yes, the menus have been repeated....we are experiencing it. Not what we expected but what can you do really. I'm not complaining....just surprised.

They are talking about the menu selections. I didn't have the heart to ask him how many cruise credits he was getting, LOL

It almost seems like O is playing a bit of a sneaky game. Is it trying to minimize perks, in the form of points, to its clients?

If so, they are going down the same path as other cruise lines......:rolleyes:

Hi ladysail2. The above post is mine. And to no surprise, I only received 1 cruise credit for this sailing. I know there's really nothing Oceania is going to do about this but it truly was treated as a B2B...there was not one thing that was unique to this "Grand Voyage." Different sailing names and Currents publications sailing names for each 7 day....2 muster drills, one for each 7 day....2 different Oceania World Cards, one for each 7 day....the list goes on. I'm also booked on a "Grand Voyage" in 2016 - a 7 day and a 10 day B2B and I'm expecting the same next year. What can we do?!

Edited by JVNYC

We were on a 32 day GV this past February. It was listed as two segments but if you wanted to take both than you had to book the GV. Since it was 32 days we got 2 credits. But here is the kicker - the second segment was very undersold and was heavily discounted. Anyone wanting to stay on from the oversold first segment was offered the discounted 2nd segment and anyone who booked the GV was stuck with the higher price. Food for thought when booking a GV.

My thoughts on the topic not that anyone at Oceania is listening

When the new itineraries come out the GV's should be clearly identified & left like that

Maybe even a notation that if you book 1 segment (single cruise) that it is part of a GV so people will know if they decide to add the 2nd sailing later

Not at some later date change 2 single cruises into a GV

We like to do B2B's & have always gotten them as 2 cruises but lately they start out as singles then closer to sailing the "powers that be" decide why not make 2 into 1 cruise

It just ticks off your loyal passengers

Why not just stick with the GV posted when they first come out & quit playing games

While I am on the rant

what about those that book early get the best prices I guess that was then now they do not mind becoming like the main stream line discounting when the mood strikes

As per their media statement

Since its inception Oceania Cruises has rewarded guests who book early with the best possible fares, and today the line introduced a new innovative program called the OLife Advantage, which provides extraordinary additional incentives for guests looking to book their 2016 spring, summer or fall cruise vacations early.

Now I see several cruises discounted well into summer of 2016

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/special-offers/new-lower-fares/

I understand discounting to fill the ships but do it maybe 30-45 days out

If I booked 18mths out then it was discounted & I could not get the deal I would be pretty angry & start looking with other lines to cruise with

Anyone at Oceania listening :confused:

Thanks for reading off my soapbox

Lyn

Hi ladysail2. The above post is mine. And to no surprise, I only received 1 cruise credit for this sailing. I know there's really nothing Oceania is going to do about this but it truly was treated as a B2B...there was not one thing that was unique to this "Grand Voyage." Different sailing names and Currents publications sailing names for each 7 day....2 muster drills, one for each 7 day....2 different Oceania World Cards, one for each 7 day....the list goes on. I'm also booked on a "Grand Voyage" in 2016 - a 7 day and a 10 day B2B and I'm expecting the same next year. What can we do?!

I wish that there was something that one could do. It isn't fair to present two cruises as one, to save giving out 1 credit.....then to treat the cruise as two cruises once on board.

I suppose if lots of people wrote to complain, it might get through...but who knows.

I have O air in November...and the flight from North America to Lisbon is the standard 3 plane, 2 connection flight. Naturally they don't want to pay any hotel costs...but want you to get to the cruise ship on time, so they don't have to lay out anymore money to get you to the next port. But on the way home...:eek::eek:...a freaking horror story. They must have sweated for months trying to find the most convoluted, irritating, downright stupidest flight plan. Oh...but for only 1200 more CDN dollars, they found me the standard 3 plane, 2 connection flight home. What gives? I want to know what airlines they are using....but of course the Air dept doesn't work weekends. I have a 6 plane, 5 connection flight home....nice....NOT!!!

This really disappoints me because I always thought that Oceania was a cut above the standard cruise lines including Celebrity....but with all these changes..they really should change their name to O-Norwegian....then people would really understand what they're dealing with.

I have O air in November...and the flight from North America to Lisbon is the standard 3 plane, 2 connection flight. Naturally they don't want to pay any hotel costs...but want you to get to the cruise ship on time, so they don't have to lay out anymore money to get you to the next port. But on the way home...:eek::eek:...a freaking horror story. They must have sweated for months trying to find the most convoluted, irritating, downright stupidest flight plan. Oh...but for only 1200 more CDN dollars, they found me the standard 3 plane, 2 connection flight home. What gives? I want to know what airlines they are using....but of course the Air dept doesn't work weekends. I have a 6 plane, 5 connection flight home....nice....NOT!!!

Joyce are you paying the deviation fee??

I would then pick the flights that work for you

That is crazy so many connections

I can't help wondering why Oceania insists on this bizarro world Cruise Credit thing that is at best confusing and inconsistent and at worst borderline unfair. I note that their sister line Regent Seven Seas uses total accumulated days as the basis of calculating their loyalty club benefits and I also note from my own Oceania Club Page that Oceania keeps track of the number of days we have sailed on each voyage so why not create a system that is consistent across the board and just count total accumulated days?

PS As an example of what I was referring to as borderline unfair I would refer you to the Amazon Cruise that Regatta makes every year. Last year when we were on board it was a 24 day voyage thus we received 1 cruise credit. This year it is a 25 day voyage and thus will be credited with 2 cruise credits.

Can someone explain this one for me I booked a btb for myself and another couple, When I went Oceania website to check my and the other couples details.

I found I have been booked as two separate cruises and the other couple have been booked as a 24 day cruise.

Neither my agent or Oceania have an explanation both say it is a btb.

Computer must be randomly changing timings ??? the question is will the other couple only be getting one cruise credit ???

Can someone explain this one for me I booked a btb for myself and another couple, When I went Oceania website to check my and the other couples details.

I found I have been booked as two separate cruises and the other couple have been booked as a 24 day cruise.

Neither my agent or Oceania have an explanation both say it is a btb.

Computer must be randomly changing timings ??? the question is will the other couple only be getting one cruise credit ???

It is very annoying as well

I did look & the Nov 18 & Dec 2 are a GV now

Was it when you booked??

It is very annoying as well

I did look & the Nov 18 & Dec 2 are a GV now

Was it when you booked??

I Booked on 21/4/15 on Friday I was assured by Oceania that the 24 day Enchanted journey was two cruises but I have no faith even though I have it in writing, they say I have two cruise booking numbers but they are not on my account.

I do no want this to be a matter for more Acrimonious emails with Oceania.

I Booked on 21/4/15 on Friday I was assured by Oceania that the 24 day Enchanted journey was two cruises but I have no faith even though I have it in writing, they say I have two cruise booking numbers but they are not on my account.

I do no want this to be a matter for more Acrimonious emails with Oceania.

can you add your 2 separate booking number in your account ??

I am beginning to wonder if the folks at O have gone mad lately :eek:

can you add your 2 separate booking number in your account ??

I am beginning to wonder if the folks at O have gone mad lately :eek:

I have tried to log on to my account today and guess what it says I have no bookings on my account !!!!

I have tried to log on to my account today and guess what it says I have no bookings on my account !!!!

I know on the US site you have to add the booking number under "Booked Cruises" maybe the same for the UK site

Then again the site was down last night here so maybe they are playing again ;)

I wish that there was something that one could do. It isn't fair to present two cruises as one, to save giving out 1 credit.....then to treat the cruise as two cruises once on board.

I suppose if lots of people wrote to complain, it might get through...but who knows.

This really disappoints me because I always thought that Oceania was a cut above the standard cruise lines including Celebrity....but with all these changes..they really should change their name to O-Norwegian....then people would really understand what they're dealing with.

Are you flying from YOW? If you are, not sure if it's still possible but have you thought of changing your departure airport to YUL and seeing if that's any better?

Assuming it is, the car+park/train ride to Montreal must be worth the hassle if it cuts down the connections, no?

On our last O cruise, we were burned by the experience (but not as badly as you) and now we don't really see the included air as being worth it, as it seems you really have to add the deviation and its ever-increasing cost to ensure you have tolerable flights.

It's hard to take the wait-and-see approach as well because you don't know what you've been assigned until about 75 days out and if you're flying super international (i.e., North America to Asia/Australia - I assume that's yours with so many connections), it doesn't leave much time if any to look for reasonably-priced alternative flights.:(

Edited by ShopperfiendTO

Three weeks ago, concurrently with my beginning this thread I also emailed Oceania asking, for what I hoped, would be an explanation of their logic in deeming B2B cruises as Grand Voyages and thus only entitled to 1 cruise credit. Surely there was demonstrable logic that I, as a mere mortal, just wasn't comprehending and they would set me straight. Apparently the powers that be have deemed my question too trivial for their valuable time and have provided no response.

So I guess I never will find out the answer to the question Why do two sailings become one?

But, at least in my case, my answer is that when two sailings become one, that one becomes NONE.

I know that I am a voice in the wilderness that can easily be ignored but all I can do is vote with my feet and take my business elsewhere.

Three weeks ago, concurrently with my beginning this thread I also emailed Oceania asking, for what I hoped, would be an explanation of their logic in deeming B2B cruises as Grand Voyages and thus only entitled to 1 cruise credit. Surely there was demonstrable logic that I, as a mere mortal, just wasn't comprehending and they would set me straight. Apparently the powers that be have deemed my question too trivial for their valuable time and have provided no response.

So I guess I never will find out the answer to the question Why do two sailings become one?

But, at least in my case, my answer is that when two sailings become one, that one becomes NONE.

I know that I am a voice in the wilderness that can easily be ignored but all I can do is vote with my feet and take my business elsewhere.

Are you cancelling your cruise now because of this? I'm also booked on the same one as you and intend to stay with it despite the 1 cruise credit....it's a fantastic itinerary!

Edited by JVNYC

Are you cancelling your cruise now because of this? I'm also booked on the same one as you and intend to stay with it despite the 1 cruise credit....it's a fantastic itinerary!

No I was resigned to the one credit thing. The proverbial straw for me was my attempt to get the custom air department to assist me in getting my preferred premium economy seats for the transatlantic flights. This past Monday I contacted Delta Airlines directly to make sure that the seats that we prefer were available on the flights that we wanted and learned that yes they were. I then had my agent contact customer air knowing that we would be charged the change fee of $175 per person and whatever difference the flights would cost. The answer we received was that our request would NOT be processed for another month and a half. Since the last two times we had gone through this process with Oceania we wound up with seats not to our liking (in one case not even in the same row) I asked why it could not be done today since it obviously was possible since I spoke with the airline myself. The rather curt reply was that those flights were not in the Oceania computer so in a word TUFF. Now why they could not contact the airline themselves is a mystery to me but what is custom about a custom air department that will not go the extra mile to please a guest?

PS

After canceling this cruise I went to another line and guess what? Their custom air department got me the exact flight and exact seats that I wanted.

We love Oceania and would like to sail with them again but what happened to customer service in this experience is inexcusable.

No I was resigned to the one credit thing. The proverbial straw for me was my attempt to get the custom air department to assist me in getting my preferred premium economy seats for the transatlantic flights. This past Monday I contacted Delta Airlines directly to make sure that the seats that we prefer were available on the flights that we wanted and learned that yes they were. I then had my agent contact customer air knowing that we would be charged the change fee of $175 per person and whatever difference the flights would cost. The answer we received was that our request would NOT be processed for another month and a half. Since the last two times we had gone through this process with Oceania we wound up with seats not to our liking (in one case not even in the same row) I asked why it could not be done today since it obviously was possible since I spoke with the airline myself. The rather curt reply was that those flights were not in the Oceania computer so in a word TUFF. Now why they could not contact the airline themselves is a mystery to me but what is custom about a custom air department that will not go the extra mile to please a guest?

PS

After canceling this cruise I went to another line and guess what? Their custom air department got me the exact flight and exact seats that I wanted.

We love Oceania and would like to sail with them again but what happened to customer service in this experience is inexcusable.

I'm very sorry to hear that you cancelled. Personally, we ALWAYS book our own air. I'm very particular when it comes to my flights and it's easier for me to manage that end on my own. Hopefully you will reconsider Oceania for another sailing in the future...and book your own flights. :)

Something is being left out of this thread, because once the Deviation Fee has been paid, the Air Dept. processes the Reservation immediately, but they don't actually pay for the tickets until after Final Payment kicks in. Some seating (Economy Comfort on Delta, springs to mind) requires a ticket purchase previous to the upgrade process.

At first blush, it sounds like 2onboardagain had not yet made final payment (because she later cancelled).

Do the rest of us want Oceania to put themselves into the position of purchasing Airline Tickets for passengers who still have the option of cancelling?

That could wind up being a pretty expensive proposition.....

Edited by StanandJim

Something is being left out of this thread, because once the Deviation Fee has been paid, the Air Dept. processes the Reservation immediately, but they don't actually pay for the tickets until after Final Payment kicks in. Some seating (Economy Comfort on Delta, springs to mind) requires a ticket purchase previous to the upgrade process.

At first blush, it sounds like 2onboardagain had not yet made final payment (because she later cancelled).

Do the rest of us want Oceania to put themselves into the position of purchasing Airline Tickets for passengers who still have the option of cancelling?

That could wind up being a pretty expensive proposition.....

The OP simply wanted her ticket reserved. Absolutely nothing was stated regarding the OP wanting the ticket purchased. The O air desk would not consider the flights the OP wished to be booked on even though she checked with the airline and the flight/seats were available and in fact she booked with another cruise line who welcomed her and booked the fights as a deviation that she wanted. Your post as they usually do is trying to support the cruise line even though they obviously did not take care of the OP. Many of us are aware of the fact that the Oceania contract with the airlines allows O to reserve seats and then pay much closer to the flight date which is something that the average person can not do. Understand that in order to upgrade to the Economy Plus seats, the flights have to be reserved and paid for as others have done in the past and if that was the case, sure the OP would have paid the flight costs up front to get the seats but, O didn't provide that option, they simply would not even look at that flight because they said the flights were not in the O computer???? and that they would not process for another monh or two. The Air Dept. would not go the extra yard and get the flight and thus lost the sale. Penny wise and pound stupid.

Going back to the OP's original post- the cruise they were booking is for July 2016. That still as of today is not, and will not be for another 45 days, within the standard terms for booking a deviation on Oceania Air which states 270 days ahead of the sail date. I propose that is why Oceania would not reserve the tickets...and then the comments regarding that actual purchase of the tickets would kick in- that depends on final payment.

I always get a fast response from Oceania Air when I submit my deviation request at just within the 270 day requirement. Then I've paid in full early and requested immediate ticket purchase so that I could change to economy comfort on Delta- 24 hours or less from time I request actual purchase of tickets to when I've been able to upgrade. Of course, if I cancel or change flights, the costs are on me.

Edited by arima22

Going back to the OP's original post- the cruise they were booking is for July 2016. That still as of today is not, and will not be for another 45 days, within the standard terms for booking a deviation on Oceania Air which states 270 days ahead of the sail date. I propose that is why Oceania would not reserve the tickets...and then the comments regarding that actual purchase of the tickets would kick in- that depends on final payment.

I always get a fast response from Oceania Air when I submit my deviation request at just within the 270 day requirement. Then I've paid in full early and requested immediate ticket purchase so that I could change to economy comfort on Delta- 24 hours or less from time I request actual purchase of tickets to when I've been able to upgrade. Of course, if I cancel or change flights, the costs are on me.

You are exactly right about them quoting their 270 day rule but my question remains why use that rule to bludgeon my attempt to purchase airline tickets through the Oceania Air Department. I had no problem with fully paying for them at the time I made the request (just as I wound up doing with my alternative cruise choice). This was just the final straw in my facing these arbitrary hard and fast rules where the guests' needs and wants must take a back seat to Grand Voyage definitions and 270 days vs air arrangements directly with airlines. As I mentioned that 270 day window has in the past caused us to miss getting our choice of seats several times because those seats disappeared while we were waiting to reach the magic Oceania 270 day window. I admit I have been slow on the uptake to realize these built in constraints but our experiences on the Oceania ships has been nice enough to overlook them until now and the pattern of indifference is all too obvious when no attempt was made to address my concern by the front office.

You are doing what most reasonable people would do - vote with your wallet and your feet.

If you are not happy with the product - for whatever reason - you should move your business to a product that fits your needs better. Otherwise you would likely pay a lot of money and still be unhappy with the cruise.

Good luck.

Maybe the 270 rule has to do with the contract O gets with the airlines

just a guess

I tried to get my favourite airline but even at 260 days they did not have the contracts in place yet so took another air carrier just to be sure I had EC seats :(

Edited by LHT28

Maybe the 270 rule has to do with the contract O gets with the airlines

just a guess

I tried to get my favourite airline but even at 260 days they did not have the contracts in place yet so took another air carrier just to be sure I had EC seats :(

Whatever the reason for the 270 day rule the result is that Oceania is putting its guest at a decided disadvantage with guests on other cruise lines especially in a heavily trafficked sailing date as we had from Civitavecchia this past May when there were 8 ships in port. The Airlines release their seats at day 330 but Oceania will not begin to assign seats until 60 days later. I would submit that this is hardly living up to their slogan of "Your World Your Way"

Their brochures and web site claim:

"Oceania Cruises' exceptional service begins long before you step aboard! Your personal vacation consultant will help you or your travel agent plan your next cruise vacation. Our experts provide turn-key services that will help you select your perfect cruise, customize your air schedule, reserve pre- and post- land programs and help you plan your onboard experience."

I hope that they have reread their own advertising by the time I book a future cruise on their amazing ships. The ships are wonderful its the getting to them that is the problem!

Whatever the reason for the 270 day rule the result is that Oceania is putting its guest at a decided disadvantage with guests on other cruise lines especially in a heavily trafficked sailing date as we had from Civitavecchia this past May when there were 8 ships in port. The Airlines release their seats at day 330 but Oceania will not begin to assign seats until 60 days later. I would submit that this is hardly living up to their slogan of "Your World Your Way"

In some cases it is better just to do the cruise only & book your own air

We have done that when we wanted specific airlines or times