NCL Vs. other lines drastic changes

rydan

While I can appreciate that, I've listened to investment calls of both Carnival and Royal Caribbean. There is a difference in the way their CEO's speak about the customer. It's much more respectable like something they actually appreciate instead of something just to be manipulated to squeeze more dollars out of. The objectives may be the same but the path is a bit different.

If you value your customer it will be reflected in everything that you say and do regardless of your audience. I get the feeling that Del Rio doesn't value anything but the dollar and sees customers as cows waiting to be milked. That may play in the board room and in discussions with shareholders but customers resent being seen that way (well, at least this customer does;)).

Edited by sparks1093

I don't mind any company making or even increasing profits because profits mean that a company will stay viable and thus available for me. However, if a company makes changes that are mishandled in the way that NCL keep doing makes me worry about communication and capability within the management chain and will kill any company off eventually. Those types of self-inflicted injuries can spell disaster for any company. If I was heading up NCL I would want to know why it is that the changes seem to have been mishandled in such a disastrous fashion when a bit more care, responsibility and professional behavior in the management chain could have stopped them for looking so uncaring of their customers.

It is absolutely vital that management realise that without customers, no amount of spin or sucking up to investors will be any use because there will be no income to pay the shareholders. Both sides of the business coin are vital to the health of any company. There is an old adage that all business schools should remember and that is not that the customer is always right, but the customer must think he is always right.

I don't mind any company making or even increasing profits because profits mean that a company will stay viable and thus available for me. However, if a company makes changes that are mishandled in the way that NCL keep doing makes me worry about communication and capability within the management chain and will kill any company off eventually. Those types of self-inflicted injuries can spell disaster for any company. If I was heading up NCL I would want to know why it is that the changes seem to have been mishandled in such a disastrous fashion when a bit more care, responsibility and professional behavior in the management chain could have stopped them for looking so uncaring of their customers.

It is absolutely vital that management realise that without customers, no amount of spin or sucking up to investors will be any use because there will be no income to pay the shareholders. Both sides of the business coin are vital to the health of any company. There is an old adage that all business schools should remember and that is not that the customer is always right, but the customer must think he is always right.

Well put.

And much better than "If we stop listening to our customers, maybe they'll quit bothering us."

Those are the changes now -- but you can bet that there will more in the future, and they won't be going in the direction most of us want. The last time I sailed on NCL, it was $5 pp for the specialty dining -- this was right before "Freestyle" was started (so yes, a LONG time ago). You could order anything on the menu and there was no additional charge for filet or lobster. Obviously the world changes, costs for everything and everyone have gone up and $5 is no longer reasonable -- I'm not arguing that cost increases should never happen. I'm talking more about the overall concept of change, and specifically how it affects this industry and the fans of cruising.

One of the reasons I didn't travel on NCL the last time is because I prefer the traditional experience of having the same waiter, getting dressed up, etc. Freestyle didn't really appeal to me. It still doesn't in some ways. But I'm not exactly a luddite, so am willing to give it a try. Maybe I will love it when I'm there for our upcoming cruise. I will admit that I've been on a few "traditional" cruises in which the dinner table company was not particularly enjoyable. We were paired with people we just didn't connect with, who were a lot older, stuffy, or whatever. I think the Freestyle concept will work pretty well for us this time, and we have the UDP, so plan on using specialty dining the whole trip as we will be able to do family meals, and romantic tables for two as suits us. i just don't look forward to ever going on a cruise and being presented with a menu that has a price attached to everything. That will be a change that ends my cruising passion.

This is exactly how I feel. I don't mind change, I have been cruising for 25 years and have seen lots of changes, some good some bad. But it's cruising that I love and as it becomes more like a land vacation the less I like it. That is my worry with these changes, that the other lines WILL follow suit and cruising as I love it will be gone.

I am both an experienced cruiser and traveler...I'm also a realist and an investor, and as such I fully understand the changes and difficult decisions cruise lines have had to make to stay profitable in the last few years.

While I'm not loyal to any cruise line, my preference recently has been Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. I currently have a Princess cruise booked, and was also booked to try NCL in November of 2016. My first Norwegian cruise will probably never happen now. Although I can somewhat understand the massive redeployment of sailings that have been open for booking at least seven months, I think the way the cancellations were presented and the options offered are pathetic and show a total lack of interest in or consideration for the customer.

The only option I have in order to get price protection is to move my cruise up at least nine months, which isn't possible. We have a land vacation, a one week cruise, and an 11-night cruise booked between November and March, and that's simply all my husband's vacation time will allow. In addition, when I looked, it appears that availability for the type of cabin I reserved is extremely limited.

If NCL truly cared about the customers whose cruises were cancelled, they would offer some more viable options. Moving my cruise 9-12 months in order to obtain pricing comparable to that which I paid a deposit for seven months ago is, to me, an indication that what the decision makers really want is for all of us who booked early to get lost because they're on to bigger and better things. $100 OBC to book any other ship at the prevailing rates? That's an insult, not an offer.

I've been out of town for a family emergency, so I haven't had a chance to deal with the Norwegian end of this cancellation yet. I'm already booked on the Liberty of the Seas sailing from Galveston the day after the Jade cruise was to depart, and I will be requesting an immediate refund of my deposit when I contact NCL today. They've had the use of my money for 7 months, and that's long enough.

Edited by Cindy

And because we have to burn a higher grade fuel in the mean time, we will shorten the time time in port and go slower - for your convenience.

Yup. ;)

Another customer enhancement! LOL

You betcha'. ;)

...and I totally agree with the CC'ers who have said it's not the charges, or lost time, etc...but rather the lack of (or poor) communication.

I am not loyal to any cruise line. Do I prefer some over others...of course. But that doesn't mean I'm not willing to try others. When I choose a cruise, it is based on what we want out of our vacation, regardless of the cruise line. I try to find the ships that meet our wants the best for that vacation and then compare prices for what I am willing to pay for it. That is all based on what is being offered today, not yesterday. All cruise lines make changes. Change is a normal part of life. It is up to the consumer to decide if what the ship is offering today is something they want at that price. It is so simple. If it is not what you want, then don't buy it. Go find what will make you happy. The cruise lines can not please everyone. That is impossible. We all want different things. It is not the cruise lines job to make you, specifically, happy...that is up to you.

I agree, the cruise is what you make of it. Also no favorite line.

Halos,

Having two cruises cancelled would piss me off as well. I think despite the situation, your post was extremely diplomatic.

Well, I understand that you have to also put yourself in the shoes of a business..and I try. Like I said, I can deal with my cruises being cancelled (it is over a year out...so it's not a disaster by any means) it was only the fact that they offered me ONE sailing with price protection.

We actually had two cruises cancelled on us last year. One was the NCL and the other was a Royal Caribbean....our cruise had been a 9 night Mediterranean and they gave us a list of about 7 or 8 other options once they cancelled it on us. FOUR of those options were cruises longer than 9 nights. Well, needless to say we jumped on a 12 nighter and there were NO additional fees. On top of that, Royal gave us $200 extra OBC for the 'inconvenience'

OK...that was WAY above and beyond...but seriously NCL could have done better than offering me one other cruise with a totally different itinerary, in a toally different calendar year and a totally different season and $50 OBC :rolleyes:

Wouldn't any sane person start booking with Royal after that???

I love NCL and I would like to stick with them. I am praying they work out their 'bugs' under new leadership and get their act together.

Edited by halos

The OP started a lovely thread - it was a pleasure to read (until it changed into another complaining thread). I want to add two comments:

1) Some cruise lines cancel cruises and do not offer or suggest anything for a replacement. Smaller ships in particular will cancel a cruise when a company wants to charter the ship. There are many reasons for cancelling cruises -- why should we think that it is done simply to inconvenience passengers?

2) Freestyle Dining - For passengers that want the same server every night - simply ask to be seated in their section (may have to dine early so you know that the server has availability in their section).

I strongly agree with posters that state that change is inevitable...... we either accept it or complain about it endlessly - it really is our own choice!

Edited by Travelcat2

1) Some cruise lines cancel cruises and do not offer or suggest anything for a replacement. Smaller ships in particular will cancel a cruise when a company wants to charter the ship. There are many reasons for cancelling cruises -- why should we think that it is done simply to inconvenience passengers?

I strongly agree with posters that state that change is inevitable...... we either accept it or complain about it endlessly - it really is our own choice!

If that is so, I can't imagine why anyone would opt to choose that line when there are lines that give you options for replacement IF they cancel your booking.

That's the point....there are lines that do. NCL used to, now it seems they don't.

It's very easy to cruise another line. Not so easy to consistently have to change your vacation plans with a cruise line that is becoming notorious for pulling your vacation out from under you.

Change is inevitable and I am fully prepared to pay more as costs increase and I am fully prepared as a cruiser for changes in itineraries and possible cancellations...but not when those changes are more often than not and not if the cruise line offers me no replacement or worse, has the absolute gall to offer me a replacement but not tell me where it's going.

What kind of business model is that??

My patience only goes so far.

Edited by halos

If that is so, I can't imagine why anyone would opt to choose that line when there are lines that give you options for replacement IF they cancel your booking.

Are you sure there's only one alternative for your Oct., 2016 cancelled cruise? In all the other cancellation threads people are complaining about a few things, including:

1. They realize their cruise is cancelled but NCL hasn't notified them yet.
  2. NCL has notified them about a cruise cancelled in early 2016, but has not yet provided the alternatives. They have to wait until August 17th to find the alternatives.

Are you in the first group? If you noticed your cruise is cancelled due to the press release about new itineraries, and you called them, there may be only one option right now. Check with them after the 17th and you may have many more options.

If NCL has officially notified you then I would escalate the issue with your TA or PCC and see if you can get more options after the 17th like everyone else is reporting on Cruise Critic.

Edited by fshagan

That's the point....there are lines that do. NCL used to, now it seems they don't.

It's very easy to cruise another line. Not so easy to consistently have to change your vacation plans with a cruise line that is becoming notorious for pulling your vacation out from under you.

Change is inevitable and I am fully prepared to pay more as costs increase and I am fully prepared as a cruiser for changes in itineraries and possible cancellations...but not when those changes are more often than not and not if the cruise line offers me no replacement or worse, has the absolute gall to offer me a replacement but not tell me where it's going.

What kind of business model is that??

My patience only goes so far.

There are two kinds of people in this world.

Those who expect to be treated like human beings.

And those who gobble what gruel they're ultimately offered to say "please Sir, can I have some more?"

Of course change is inevitable--but I agree with you: my patience only goes so far as well. NCL needs to see its customers as people, not simply cash machines.

There are two kinds of people in this world.

Those who expect to be treated like human beings.

And those who gobble what gruel they're ultimately offered to say "please Sir, can I have some more?"

Of course change is inevitable--but I agree with you: my patience only goes so far as well. NCL needs to see its customers as people, not simply cash machines.

Exactly. Well said.

Are you sure there's only one alternative for your Oct., 2016 cancelled cruise? In all the other cancellation threads people are complaining about a few things, including:

1. They realize their cruise is cancelled but NCL hasn't notified them yet.
  2. NCL has notified them about a cruise cancelled in early 2016, but has not yet provided the alternatives. They have to wait until August 17th to find the alternatives.

Are you in the first group? If you noticed your cruise is cancelled due to the press release about new itineraries, and you called them, there may be only one option right now. Check with them after the 17th and you may have many more options.

If NCL has officially notified you then I would escalate the issue with your TA or PCC and see if you can get more options after the 17th like everyone else is reporting on Cruise Critic.

Attached is the PDF we received from our travel agent on Tuesday, 08/04/15. Which is well after we heard of the pending possible changes here on CruiseCritic. We were booked on the Star out of Tampa on Oct 13, 2106. We were given one choice (Jade on 01/15/2017) and the exact itinerary of that one choice is not yet available, (but it is an Eastern Carib, not a Western, so it is obviously totally different). The letter failed (IMHO) to put any positive spin on this for me as a customer. It failed to mention what would happen with the perks/amenities for my existing cruise. It only gives us 1 week to research and book our replacement cruise. It fails to mention what would be done for anybody that already booked airfare.

The 01/15/17 date for the Jade will not work for us (to close to another cruise, which is our problem, I guess), but until August 17, we cannot even begin to consider our alternatives, if any, with NCL. And somehow, I bet all the travel agents and all the NCL phones are going to be very busy with long hold times the week of the 17th to the 24th, so I am inclined to just book on a more accommodating cruise line.

I realize that change happens. We were also recently affected when Celebrity changed our itineraries on two cruises and added overnight port calls. IMHO, both cruise lines did a very poor job of communicating and accommodating their already booked passengers.

Cancellation Notice 10.13.16 NCL Star.PDF

Definitely not much of an option. That's really too bad.

I had two options, stay on Jade TA and lose 2 days, move to Epic TA and lose 3 days, but I get to pay the same amount as I would in the Jade's DOS for 16 days, which was a huge splurge.

I don't think my "price protection" is worthwhile in the least under these two scenarios, so I will be losing my perks.

Hopefully in the next week they'll figure out something a bit better, but we probably shouldn't hold our breath.

Minor issues such as no grats on UDP, then grats on UDP but who knows if its covered, then its covered, then its not covered, then room service charges.... All I wanted to know was what the heck I was responsible for and what was covered. All of those changes happened in a short time span. I didn't mind the changes so much but what i found so frustrating was failure to update their website and update terms and conditions. I mean if you're going to make a bunch of changes in a short time span at least inform the customer. Despite the frustration i still had a wonderful two week european cruise this summer and was really looking forward to my next cruise in Europe which i booked a year and a half ahead of time.

So now they are rolling out a massive redeployment of a third of their ships accompanied by an email giving me basically the option to price protect if I sail over a year early. Even if the time frame offered was an option, the staterooms left in my category are not available. And selling me the cruise of my dreams in the Haven at a great price and the very next day canceling the cruise - that's bad business.

I am now really hoping the email i received is a communication error and the options I was given are not going to be my only options because i was offered virtually an impossible alternative to my canceled cruise.

I've been looking at alternative sailings just in case. If I am not given a fair trade booking come the 17th I'll probably end up sailing the Holland America Koningsdam. If NCL steps up on this redeployment rebooking with viable alternatives I will sing their praises. That's what I'm hoping for anyways. If they don't offer me a viable option ill be kicking myself for letting them hang onto my $1500 for the month.

NCL chose to selectively inform us of changes and errors as they see fit, like this minor one about Shore Ex. credits as part of the August promotion. It's not even a big deal.

uploadfromtaptalk1439066855035.jpg.23b8f0476344d70fca2f21a431c20dad.jpg

... maybe, captive audience ? still continuing to cheer for NCL, but not here among us. Got the deposit & prepayment & looking good from the last quarter on booking trends - selling the story to please Wall Street. Pissed off pax going elsewhere are collateral damages, they think & believed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288

I'm in the same boat. The only reason I haven't cancelled our Epic cruise is I have the promotion of a lifetime and a FCR to burn. As of right now, I won't be buying a new one on the next cruise. That may change by the time we cruise, but I'm not feeling it right now.

Actually, there is a way of doing this without impacting anybody. NCL only releases their itineraries about two years out. Right now, that's about April 2017. You schedule changes like this after your currently released options.

Yes, the RIGHT way to do this was to redeploy and *THEN* announce the new itineraries as a bunch of great new opportunites.

Should have been/COULD HAVE BEEN easy!

We had just reserved (a few days ago) two expensive NCL cruises, both longer than any we've previously taken, and both in the top suite on the ships.

And then we get an email, one after another, that Ooops, cancelled, and your "choices' are at totally different times, totally different itineraries...

... and $150 for each, when each cruise cost was nicely into 5 figures!

That's more of an insult than anything else.

We made reservations around the holidays because that is when we are able to travel for lengthy periods of times.

"Telling us" when we are to go instead (and where)!? HOW BAD CAN SERVICE GET?

We have about 10 cruises reserved with NCL, and two others where we are bringing friends with us.

Uh... no more...

We've already booked a top suite on another line for a longer holiday cruise with a very similar itinerary to what NCL canceled out from under us. (Thank goodness we acted quickly; we got the last one.)

What have we learned?

That planning ahead, which is critical when one prefers a cabin/suite category that has very limited supply, AND when one is limited in travel dates, is apparently extremely risky on NCL; they are likely to change it with almost no compensation, and without sufficient notice, when other similar cruises (on other lines) have little or no availability left.

Better to start off with the others.

And just when we had fallen in love with the Haven... what a shame.

And for our Hawaii cruise? We may spend the entire 2 weeks there on the "ground", and pack an overnight bag to hop over (by air) to a couple of the other islands, leaving most of the luggage behind. That makes it rather easy. And we know the hotels aren't going to cancel us and offer us totally different dates instead!

And it turns out it will save us money, too, even at top hotels. Interesting.

/end rant (but we *are* mighty angry at how this was (mis)handled.

GeezerCouple

Edited by GeezerCouple

You are smart to have booked a suite desired on alternative line. I've never been on a Hawaii cruise but we frequent the islands often and you most definitely can stay at some of the best resorts and island hop for the same or less $.

I can understand deployment of new itineraries and needing to bump cruisers but why they are given such ludicrous options is beyond comprehension. If the customer is doing what NCL prefers by booking early then they should at minimum be given an option to price protect rebook on a similar itinerary at a time convenient to the customer. Again I can only hope their option letter was a poor mistake and this will be made right on thee 17th. Here's hoping they do the right thing come the 17th.

I'm sure they've factored in the cost of redeploying 1/3 of their fleet and concluded that it's in their best financial interest to do so. I just hope they've also factored in some viable options for those who have canceled cruises with no viable way to switch to some of these out in left field offers. You can't tell me $ are lost by letting someone pick an available sailing in their category booked and in many cases paid for or at least a hefty chunk anyway.

I'm sure they've factored in the cost of redeploying 1/3 of their fleet and concluded that it's in their best financial interest to do so. I just hope they've also factored in some viable options for those who have canceled cruises with no viable way to switch to some of these out in left field offers. You can't tell me $ are lost by letting someone pick an available sailing in their category booked and in many cases paid for or at least a hefty chunk anyway.

I imagine they factored in losing at least half the business of those who were cancelled. I don't think they care. They figure that Asia and Australia as well as higher prices will cover the loss. I speculate that Bliss will head there upon completion.

Agree. N America is a mature cruise market with little room to grow and full of competitors. Asia especially China is an emerging cruise market full of potentials, new rich and 10 times the size. It is not hard to see why N American cruisers are suddenly considered disposable and demoted to substitute player status at NCL Corporate in its search for new profit.

Edited by sfaaa

What I dislike very much about NCL is that they don't mind changing things retroactively for guests who signed up for cruises early. I've been away from the NCL board for a while and just found out that (1) the first night is no longer free for the dinner magic show on GA (2) the gratuities have been raised...again (3) no fireworks (I've cruised Disney and loved them!!) (4) gratuities on ubp and udp (I'm in a suite so I think I'm excluded). I'm sure the more I read the longer the list will get. These things are not even communicated by NCL. It's usually someone on cruise critic who reports it durning their cruise and are met with skepticism and criticism by "loyal" NCLers only to find out later that it's the truth ( I remember this happened with the fee for room service and drink menus). I really don't know what I'm going to get when I cruise but hopefully a fun trip will make these trying times distant memories. One can only hope!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk