Tender Priority

shoreboy

Are those with Oceania Tours given tender priority. Do we have to wait until all with Oceania sponsored cruises get tendered into port before those with private tours?

Is there just a sue for the tenders or is the "colored card" system in place.

Need to be on a first tender and trying to figure out how.

Thanks!!

If you need to be off early just show up to the lounge & get a tender ticket for independents

If you are with a group make sure everyone is with you

They will call the Oceania tours first but if room on the tender they will also let independents go

there is a card system

They usually run 2-3 tenders depending on the ship/port

enjoy

The way the tender works is if you have a Oceania tour you will have a ticket that tells what time to go to the show lounge, there you will exchange the ticket for a number. You wait till the number is called and meet up with you group on shore by number. If no Oceania tour just go the the lounge when you want and get a color coded ticket and wait till the color is called. They mix and match the numbers and colors in the tenders. I never saw any real bad crowding. The people at the shore excursion desk run the tender business. If you want info go to the desk the night before the tender port and talk to them even if independent. I have found them to be helpful. Have fun.

Are those with Oceania Tours given tender priority. Do we have to wait until all with Oceania sponsored cruises get tendered into port before those with private tours?

Is there just a sue for the tenders or is the "colored card" system in place.

Need to be on a first tender and trying to figure out how.

Thanks!!

*The anchor time will be written in the Currents the nite before so you will have a general idea of when the tendering will begin.

*Arrive at the Marina Lounge as soon as the doors open... there will be an PA announcement that 'the tender process is beginning'...try to get there ASAP.

*a person will greet as you walk in the Lounge, identify yourself as an 'independent' traveler

*they will have you sit in the FRONT row of the MIDDLE section, they will then fill the seats and rows progressively.

*they will call your rows to receive tickets before making your way onto the tender platform.

*Bottled water & beach towels were available before getting on the tenders (you can also ask your room att. for beach towels the nite before)

*I found that the O excursions got off after a first few tenders had left. The O tours gathered in the Lounge and waited in large groups.

*It is much easier to get yourselves to the Marina lounge 'individually' rather than in large groups, get ashore, then sort yourselves out there.

*unless you are super organized you will all eventually find each other either in the Lounge or ashore, not worth the hassle of arranging to meet....each person responsible for getting themselves ashore...there are always the ones who are late or just don't show up...like herding cats!!!

*once you are in the lounge you are told you cannot leave, you cannot save seats for members of your groups...

*there were a few tenders operating so the wait time was not too long

*once on shore you can find your group. Tours hold up signs identifying themselves.

*you can get an early breakfast at the MDR, Terrace or opt for room service.

OP doesn't say if he is on an O or R ship.

It's been a couple of years since I've been on R ship so my knowledge might be dated.

When we were trying for early tender for independent touring I'd show up in the lounge even BEFORE the staff had arrived.

I wasn't directed to a seat/row but always sat down by the stage and when staff was ready I was one of the 1st to receive 2 tender tickets.

We were ALWAYS in the 1st tender ashore.

If you need to be off early just show up to the lounge & get a tender ticket for independents

If you are with a group make sure everyone is with you

They will call the Oceania tours first but if room on the tender they will also let independents go

there is a card system

They usually run 2-3 tenders depending on the ship/port

enjoy

Lyn, this is exacty how it works. Oceania knows that there are many independent travelers and they now accommodate us. I have never had a problem getting on the secon tender out. Sometimes if there is room, on the first one!! Arlene ;)

As an independent traveler, and one who has arranged many small group excursions, I have had all my peeps on a specific excursion meet in Martini's 15 minutes before the tendering is to begin. We all proceed together to the Lounge where sometimes they give each member of the group a colored ticket; sometimes they just give me the number I need. This is probably based on how each various destination group wants to do it.

We have been on the first tender every single time - and then there is no need to meet up on shore. We just walk together to locate our guide and our excursion can begin on time.

This has held true on both R and O ships.

As an independent traveler, and one who has arranged many small group excursions, I have had all my peeps on a specific excursion meet in Martini's 15 minutes before the tendering is to begin. We all proceed together to the Lounge where sometimes they give each member of the group a colored ticket; sometimes they just give me the number I need. This is probably based on how each various destination group wants to do it.

We have been on the first tender every single time - and then there is no need to meet up on shore. We just walk together to locate our guide and our excursion can begin on time.

This has held true on both R and O ships.

This mirrors our experience as independent travelers. No problems getting on the first tender as long as we were there early. We always tell the cruise staff we need to get off ASAP and they are very accommodating.

This mirrors our experience as independent travelers. No problems getting on the first tender as long as we were there early. We always tell the cruise staff we need to get off ASAP and they are very accommodating.

This mad dash to the very first Tender is an unfortunate result of the Tour Guides pandering to the Puritan "up and at 'em" attitude; which suits the Guides just fine because it gets them home in time for a late lunch with their families.

We fell into the same trap for years, but then I began to notice that familiar faces from that first tender would invariably be sitting around the pool or the library with us come 3 pm, and I began to wish that I'd slept in a little later and not bolted down my breakfast.

Some Ports or Expeditions do require the crack of dawn approach, but ALL of them do not. One of the best benefits of using a private Guide is that they tailor the days schedule to you, and believe it or not that includes the starting time. I can tell you from personal experience that the Blue Mosque looks precisely the same at 10 AM as it does at 8AM.

After we stopped racing frantically to "maximize our experiences", we began to enjoy -and remember- our vacations SO much more.

Fishermen have the right idea, they are never disappointed because they haven't been able to catch ALL of the fish. :D

StanandJim,

My dad would disagree with your fisherman metaphor!!

The man was up at 5am in order to be at the fishing hole/river bank before the sun came up but when it was light enough to see!

He claimed that was the best fishing time and usually had the results to prove his point!

fwiw......We get up and get out to do our diy touring because the light for photography tends to be better early (or at that magical golden hour as the sun begins to set.)

I was actually going to post that light for photography does vary throughout the day and early is usually better than late unless it is sunset.

Yeah, I'll go for the artsy photography justification when people stop plonking their spouses in the foreground. :cool:

By the way, the Fisherman metaphor has more to do with pacing yourself (i.e. choose the best and forget the rest) than with early risers.

Yeah, I'll go for the artsy photography justification when people stop plonking their spouses in the foreground. :cool:

By the way, the Fisherman metaphor has more to do with pacing yourself (i.e. choose the best and forget the rest) than with early risers.

LOL, one of my favorite sources of amusement. People taking pictures of fantastic antiquities and beautiful vistas and their spouse is posing and preening in front of it.