NO change in dress code

FLsealegs

Hi

Are they doing away with the balls also. I was on the zuiderdam ato Pamana Panal It was up in the crows nest. I would bw disappointed if the drop these. Also does cruises to Caribbean have balls. I was on the 10 day cruise in November 2013

Mary

If we are going to "dress to impress" on Gala Nights, DH is certainly wearing his tux and I'm wearing my sparklies. Somehow a shirt & pants for DH and a plain skirt/blouse or pants/blouse outfit for me just doesn't cut it. Just my take on this well worn (pardon the pun) topic.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

It is, indeed, correct, that the technical meanings of "appropriate" and "required" differ.

It should be pointed out, however, that the opposite of "appropriate" is, "inappropriate".

Inappropriate

[in-uh-proh-pree-it]

adjective

1. not appropriate; not proper or suitable:

an inappropriate dress for the occasion.

I should hope we can all agree that this puts things in perspective, in terms of what the new wording implies.

It has long been a given, amongst polite company, at least, that, "appropriate", or, "requested", is the preferred manner by which a good host would suggest that something is, in fact, fully expected, without being so gauche as to "demand" or "require" it explicitly.

Bear in mind that this is coming from the highly unorthodox, cut up heavy metal band t-shirt and boots wearing, cigar smoking, heavily pierced, tattooed, queer, biker, and altogether non-conformist metalhead chick. Surely, if I, (someone who is regularly looked upon by much of the "civilised" middle and upper classes with scorn) can manage to wrap my head around such concepts as good manners and civilised etiquette, it should not be too difficult for others to do so as well!

Bottom line/TL;DR

If your host says something is requested, preferred, appropriate, or any similar term, then bloody well do it, or graciously decline the invitation and go elsewhere!

The End*

*No, I am not actually so naive as to believe this will really be the end of the topic.

It has long been a given, amongst polite company, at least, that, "appropriate", or, "requested", is the preferred manner by which a good host would suggest that something is, in fact, fully expected, without being so gauche as to "demand" or "require" it explicitly.

I agree completely, and it's an argument I've used in dress code threads for many years, as a defense against those who said that "dressing up" wasn't "required" or "enforced".

And if HAL had simple said that certain dress was appropriate, and STOPPED THERE, then I'd go to the ramparts with you. But they didn't. They went on to say what was "required". That becomes the bottom line.

In polite society, by the way, if you behave inappropriately then you are not invited back. Not gonna happen in the MDR.

Topsham,

I contacted HAL again via Chat to ask what exactly was meant by Lido Deck for Gala Nights. (For those just reading, the new e-Docs and updated Know Before You Go information says, referring to Gala Nights, "For gentlemen, jacket and tie are appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are required in all restaurants except those on Lido Deck which permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts".)

I asked the agent to check and here's the reply:

"I spoke with my ship services and they advised the Lido Marketplace allows shorts, however, the Canaletto does not allow shorts since it is a specialty restaurant."

Happy Travels!

Edited by syesmar

Topsham,

I contacted HAL again via Chat to ask what exactly was meant by Lido Deck for Gala Nights. (For those just reading, the new e-Docs and updated Know Before You Go information says, referring to Gala Nights, "For gentlemen, jacket and tie are appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are required in all restaurants except those on Lido Deck which permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts".)

"I spoke with my ship services and they advised the Lido Marketplace allows shorts, however, the Canaletto does not allow shorts since it is a specialty restaurant."

Happy Travels!

And, of course the HAL agent (a contract employee who isn't in Seattle) is never wrong.

I'll go with the written docs, myself, but you're free to believe whatever you like.

Topsham,

Happy Travels!

But located on the Lido Deck. I do wish that HAL would actually think about what they say and what they mean before making changes to the website, e-docs and the like. So often they are open to various interpretations or, as in this case, contradictory.

But located on the Lido Deck. I do wish that HAL would actually think about what they say and what they mean before making changes to the website, e-docs and the like. So often they are open to various interpretations or, as in this case, contradictory.

Has anyone in HAL's marketing group ever BEEN on one of their ships??????

sigh...

I know. I would imagine that, based on the documents, people now will show up on Gala Night to the Canaletto in shorts and a T-shirt. And, at this point, there’s nothing written down in these documents that says they couldn’t. They need to clarify this to prevent further confusion.:rolleyes:

Happy Travels!

Thanks Syesmar.

HORRAY!!!! A win for the Canaletto. OK... Canaletto will become the new FORMAL DINING ROOM! :)

Good travel for you too!

Stephen

Thanks Syesmar.

HORRAY!!!! A win for the Canaletto. OK... Canaletto will become the new FORMAL DINING ROOM! :)

Good travel for you too!

Stephen

I fail to understand how something that doesn't even meet the standards of Olive Garden (maybe Buca di Beppo?) could become the new formal anything...

It's too bad that they don't send out hard copy cruise documents any more. They could enclose a handy laminated card for each of us.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/31/Male_dress_code_in_Western_culture.png/440px-Male_dress_code_in_Western_culture.png

It's from Wikipedia, so you know it's true.
I salute the proper use of "informal" and "semi-formal".

Now, please can we have some real "formal" nights on board?

;)

Unfortunately I believe that HAL's attempt at subtlety by saying what is "appropriate" vs "required" is being taken literally. There is another thread where people are singing "ding dong the witch is dead" regarding jackets and ties, let alone formalwear.

Unfortunately I believe that HAL's attempt at subtlety by saying what is "appropriate" vs "required" is being taken literally. There is another thread where people are singing "ding dong the witch is dead" regarding jackets and ties, let alone formalwear.

Over the last year or so, tuxes, dark suits and dinner jackets have been dropped completely from HAL's dress policy, so I'm not surprised that the exclusion of jacket and tie from the "required" list is being is being interpreted as it is.

And if HAL had simple said that certain dress was appropriate, and STOPPED THERE, then I'd go to the ramparts with you. But they didn't. They went on to say what was "required". That becomes the bottom line.

I believe that does not excuse people who make a choice to be inappropriate. It simply sets an absolute minimum, below which you will not even be admitted. Certainly, that does become the "bottom line", but those who choose this route are perhaps "showing their... bottom" to all and sundry. It's their choice, and HAL's to permit it, but it doesn't mean I have to approve. (or that anyone has to gave a rusty rat's bottom about my approval or lack thereof ;) )

In polite society, by the way, if you behave inappropriately then you are not invited back. Not gonna happen in the MDR.

Quite so, on both counts.

I do wish that HAL would actually think about what they say and what they mean before making changes to the website, e-docs and the like. So often they are open to various interpretations or, as in this case, contradictory.

That would be quite the lovely novelty, wouldn't it?

LOL. I haven't even sailed yet, made my booking after the final payment window, and already, there have been 3 significant changes in the wording of the dress code policy, without much clarification, and without bothering to change the wording to match on other parts of the site or on my e-docs. Personally, I'll be going with "formal" (actually semi-formal - I decided not to pack my crinolines and corsets) on the Gala/Formal/Whatever they are calling it by my sail date nights, and smart casual to fancy, almost semi-formal on the other nights in the MDR, and I'll enjoy the dressing up as part of the adventure!

I believe that HAL's attempt at subtlety by saying what is "appropriate" vs "required" is being taken literally.

Why would we not "take it literally"? Do you think they are joking?

I suspect that what JPH814 is trying to say is that certain people are deliberately ignoring what is "appropriate", in favour of what is "required", so they can get away with the bare minimum, rather than putting forth any effort to be appropriate. It is, indeed, unfortunate, if not unexpected.

I suspect that what JPH814 is trying to say is that certain people are deliberately ignoring what is "appropriate", in favour of what is "required", so they can get away with the bare minimum, rather than putting forth any effort to be appropriate. It is, indeed, unfortunate, if not unexpected.

The cruiseline sets the baseline, but anyone who meets the baseline isn't being appropriate? What a laugh:rolleyes:

The cruiseline sets the baseline, but anyone who meets the baseline isn't being appropriate? What a laugh:rolleyes:

Yes, if you read what HAL has put out, that's the literal interpretation. Jacket and tie are "appropriate." Long trousers and collared shirt are "required."

HAL's marketing dept (or whoever writes their blurbs) needs a good copyeditor. Someone who will read their copy back to them, translate it into normal language and ask "Is this what you really mean?"

My take is they would like people dress up (jacket and tie for men) for gala nights, but as long as you hit the baseline (trouser and collared shirt) they won't turn you away from the MDR. Whether people go for baseline or above remains to be seen.

I find it interesting that there is no mention of what's required or appropriate for women. Do they think we'll just match our level of dress to that of our husband/partner/traveling companion? I can't speak for the other women on this forum, but I can tell you that DH is not the arbiter of fashion in our house. :D