Never say never

Barrheadlass

When my husband and I did a cruise with Oceania last year, after 4 cruises of 2 weeks each on HAL, we agreed we prefer Oceania. But now he's decided he won't cruise anymore. So here's my dilemma...I REALLY want to do next year's Voage of the Vikings. It will be solo. I've gotten prices from 6 different agencies, including HAL, and the prices are all over the place. In the interest of frugality, I'll go with an inside...which I've never done. This trip is really pricey...will cost me nearly 4 times what my last cruise, on the elegant explorer cost! So what I'm asking is this...should I pull the trigger?

It's a great cruise (I've done it three times). If there is no one to go with you, you might as well go alone.

As one who sails alone, and is used to paying the very high prices that going solo costs, I have learned that it's either pay, or don't travel. When put that way, the choice was easy.

I went on my first solo cruise last summer, because like your husband, my SO was simply not interested, AND I got an inside cabin for the first time because paying the solo cost it just seemed the least I could do to save some $$... and I was VERY pleasantly surprised to find out that the inside cabin (especially when all the space was MINE! :)) was absolutely fine. In fact, you might find you'll be out and about on deck more and find fellow solo travelers (or others) to talk to that otherwise you would miss out on if you sat on your own balcony! I say, go on that trip and have a blast! Voyage of the Vikings will be fascinating and fun. I don't see how you can lose! (IMO) :)

It's a great cruise (I've done it three times). If there is no one to go with you, you might as well go alone.

As one who sails alone, and is used to paying the very high prices that going solo costs, I have learned that it's either pay, or don't travel. When put that way, the choice was easy.

Well said. Thank you.

Assuming you and your DH can agree on your plan, by all means go. Life is short and we don't know if we have a tomorrow to do the things we so want to do.

Go and have a wonderful experience. :)

If you prefer Oceania try to convince him to do another one. Just think of that marvelous food, wild horses would not hold me back if a spouse wanted to go on Oceania. Holland America would not tempt me out of cruise retirement.

O sometimes does a similiar itinerary, I know for sure because we were booked on it as part of the world cruise. It was quite oversold and we took a lucrative move over.

I took a quick look at 2016, Insignia July 1 out of Miami picks up some of the ports minus Montreal including Greenland, Iceland and Norway.

2015 was a rough season for Greenland and iceland and far Northern European ports, lots of canceled port visits due to heavy ice floes. So this itinerary may not be as great as it sounds.

When my husband and I did a cruise with Oceania last year, after 4 cruises of 2 weeks each on HAL, we agreed we prefer Oceania. But now he's decided he won't cruise anymore. So here's my dilemma...I REALLY want to do next year's Voage of the Vikings. It will be solo. I've gotten prices from 6 different agencies, including HAL, and the prices are all over the place. In the interest of frugality, I'll go with an inside...which I've never done. This trip is really pricey...will cost me nearly 4 times what my last cruise, on the elegant explorer cost! So what I'm asking is this...should I pull the trigger?

Only you can decide if you feel the price is too much for you to sail alone.

Would there ever be a chance that your DH would change his mind and sail with you?

BHL--- Hi, I recall when you and I were each planning our cruises to Norway on Hurtigruten... which were grand! I hope to get back to Norway too and it sounds like you may get there sooner ,and I wish you well.

I would love to do the Voyage of the Vikings but it hasn't worked out yet, and yes it is an expensive cruise. If you and DH did it together or if you do it solo it's about the same cost, right? So if you are both ok with that cost and he would really rather stay home than cruise then it seems a pretty straightforward decision.

I did not check which ship you would be on but the S and R class HAL ships (S class = Maasdam, Veendam, (+ Statendam and Ryndam which are being sold); R class = Amsterdam, Zaandam, Rotterdam and Volendam) all have Insides with couches so they are pretty comfortable rooms. The Vista ships (Nor'- Zuider'- Ooster'- and Westerdam) have some large insides with couches, but other Inisides without a couch... same for Eurodam and Niuew Amsterdam. So, for me, if I could get a room with a couch at an Inside rate that would do me just fine - but your desires may be different especially if you've become accustomed to Oceania's suites. I use the bow cam channel on the TV as my window, but only you can guess if you'd be ok in an Inside.

Another location I love on HAL ships is to get a room on the same deck with the walk-around deck (sometimes it's Lower Promenade deck, sometimes Promenade deck depending on the ship... and if I'm wrong on that other's will set you straight) and then I'm just steps away from the "BIG" balcony.

I hope you find a way to do what you want that is ok for both you and DH. Best wishes to you and please let us know what shapes up. m--

I loved all your comments and encouragement! Maureen, yes, seeing Norway with Hurtigruten in December definitely made me want to see it in summer! Lorene, I wish you could go too! So, I've decided to book the trip tomorrow. Now, though, there is a complication. A friend wants to go, but won't know if she can until November. I'm definitely going. I will ask the TA tomorrow, but does anyone know if we'll just be able to add her to the booking later? We'll probably want to get an OV cabin at that point. Oh, first world problems. Again, thanks everyone!

I travel solo and have spent a lot of time on the "S" category ships (Veendam, Maasdam, etc.) and their inside cabins are roomy and comfortable. I agree with another poster. Try to get an inside aft or forward on the Lower Promenade deck (the deck with the outside, covered walking deck). I usually get cabin 400, and then I pop out onto the outside deck easily. (I call it the "world's largest verandah!") Do NOT get an inside on that deck midships because you'll be underneath the galley above, and the crew never stops working up there!

I loved all your comments and encouragement! Maureen, yes, seeing Norway with Hurtigruten in December definitely made me want to see it in summer! Lorene, I wish you could go too! So, I've decided to book the trip tomorrow. Now, though, there is a complication. A friend wants to go, but won't know if she can until November. I'm definitely going. I will ask the TA tomorrow, but does anyone know if we'll just be able to add her to the booking later? We'll probably want to get an OV cabin at that point. Oh, first world problems. Again, thanks everyone!

I'm so happy for you! I don't think it will be a problem to add someone before final payment.

I travel solo and have spent a lot of time on the "S" category ships (Veendam, Maasdam, etc.) and their inside cabins are roomy and comfortable. I agree with another poster. Try to get an inside aft or forward on the Lower Promenade deck (the deck with the outside, covered walking deck). I usually get cabin 400, and then I pop out onto the outside deck easily. (I call it the "world's largest verandah!") Do NOT get an inside on that deck midships because you'll be underneath the galley above, and the crew never stops working up there!

Thank you for that advice! I've been on the lower prom deck twice before and loved it.

Edited by Barrheadlass

I'm so happy for you! I don't think it will be a problem to add someone before final payment.

Thanks! I'm really excited about this. I nearly booked it a couple of years ago during our Baltic cruise and am glad I kept it in mind. The two women who are blogging about the current VOV inspired me to book.

Thanks! I'm really excited about this. I nearly booked it a couple of years ago during our Baltic cruise and am glad I kept it in mind. The two women who are blogging about the current VOV inspired me to book.

I've only seen Elsie's blog. Do you recall the website for the other person? I would love to read it. Thx.

What wonderful, helpful posts! Bareheadlass, glad you may have a solution!

I also had the thought that if I had to pay 100% single supplement, I might well invite a friend who can't afford to cruise. :)