Is Donut Pool on Allure / Oasis Safe?

I know there was that awful accident awhile back in the donut pool (I think the child fell in and Karen weren't around). But generally, if you're with your kids, are they safe? Can kids stand in it?

Obviously it depends on how big the kids are and the depth of the water (which I don't remember).

Edited by time4u2go

I know there was that awful accident awhile back in the donut pool (I think the child fell in and Karen weren't around). But generally, if you're with your kids, are they safe? Can kids stand in it?

Kids can stand if they are tall enough. Not sure who Karen is but if you are watching your kids while they are in the current, they will be safe. If they aren't good swimmers, then you probably should be in with them.

Kids can stand if they are tall enough. Not sure who Karen is but if you are watching your kids while they are in the current, they will be safe. If they aren't good swimmers, then you probably should be in with them.

Oops, must have been auto correct on my phone. Meant to write that the parents weren't around.

Yeah, we'd always be in with our little one. I'm assuming the current isn't that strong?

Oops, must have been auto correct on my phone. Meant to write that the parents weren't around.

Yeah, we'd always be in with our little one. I'm assuming the current isn't that strong?

A google search will show you exactly what you are looking for, here is one of the many videos I found.

You can see the depth in the video and can get a feeling for the force of the current.

A google search will show you exactly what you are looking for, here is one of the many videos I found.

You can see the depth in the video and can get a feeling for the force of the current.

This is very helpful. Thanks!

Just off the Oasis and if this is the same pool I'm thinking of (in the h2o zone) then it has a pool attendant (or two!) watching over it carefully all day long. We never saw it unmonitored unless the area was closed. We had like 1700 kids onboard!

Just off the Oasis and if this is the same pool I'm thinking of (in the h2o zone) then it has a pool attendant (or two!) watching over it carefully all day long. We never saw it unmonitored unless the area was closed. We had like 1700 kids onboard!

Thank you so much for letting me know. That's good to hear (as I thought someone had said that Disney has people watching at the pools but RCL does not)

Thank you so much for letting me know. That's good to hear (as I thought someone had said that Disney has people watching at the pools but RCL does not)

Yes, the one I'm talking about is circular and has a shoulder to feet height requirement. My DD needed me to go with her because she didn't make the requirement to go alone. The attendant was enforcing it. He (and the other guy who sometimes stood with him) had official "pool attendant" name tags. They were dressed like all other staff, not like life guards. The current isn't so strong that you could easily get pulled under - just pulled around. Of course my boys had to "test" it going the other way and they were able to do that too. Many adults were in there too.

I didn't see attendants at other pools watching closely like that, but at peak times of day there are always tons of adults near every square inch of the pool deck. I always kept my kids in sight but didn't feel worried.

I think everyone agrees that young children should be supervised at all times when on vacation whether it is cruise based or land based especially so when swimming in any depth of water. Unfortunately, it is human nature, when we are on vacation we sometimes let our guard down. Accidents can and do happen in the blink of an eye.

With that said, the donut pool that was referenced, I believe is located in the kid based H2O zone. I believe this pool is a bit much(unless directly supervised), given the depth and strong circular current, for young children, especially located in the H2o area of the pool deck with the large number of kids running around, sometimes temptation is too much. That pool would be better suited in another area of the pool deck where there are more adults and fewer kids and less temptation for the kiddos just a quick dip just to give it a try. At least that way the temptation for the smallest cruisers would be out of sight out of mind.

Just my thought...

Edited by game1012

Yes, the one I'm talking about is circular and has a shoulder to feet height requirement. My DD needed me to go with her because she didn't make the requirement to go alone. The attendant was enforcing it. He (and the other guy who sometimes stood with him) had official "pool attendant" name tags. They were dressed like all other staff, not like life guards. The current isn't so strong that you could easily get pulled under - just pulled around. Of course my boys had to "test" it going the other way and they were able to do that too. Many adults were in there too.

I didn't see attendants at other pools watching closely like that, but at peak times of day there are always tons of adults near every square inch of the pool deck. I always kept my kids in sight but didn't feel worried.

Yes, that's the pool that I mean. And you've answered my concerns....as I wasn't sure as well how strong the current is.

Whether attendants or not, we would always go in with our DS10 and even hold our DD6 as she's just learning to swim. This gives me an idea of the water current. Thanks.

That would be a new one for me. These pools have existed since 2006 when Freedom of the Seas was built, and I have never seen pool attendants watching over them specifically.

That would be a new one for me. These pools have existed since 2006 when Freedom of the Seas was built, and I have never seen pool attendants watching over them specifically.

Yes, it surprised me too. We had a huge amount of kids onboard so maybe they only do it during peak "kid times." I noticed the entire H2O zone seemed to be chained off and closed a lot too. I assumed it was for contamination issues but it also may have been a way for them to not have to have attendants as often.

Here's a pic of that pool and you can see the attendant (wearing white uniform polo) standing right at the stairs. In the 20 minutes or so that we were there, this guy switched off with another guy and occasionally they both stood there. There's s big sign at the bottom of the steps for kids to measure themselves to see if they are tall enough to go in alone.

Sorry if my pic is sideways! New to this!

image.jpg.a5493e89273d63c1a40d31fbbd4667f3.jpg

The video posted does not do it justice. There is a good strong current. I'm a big guy I couldn't just stand in parts of it, it would pull me. Kids regardless of age should be good swimmers and conformable in the water. I got into it with our DD, no way would let her in on her own she is too little. But with her puddle jumper she just floated in circles and had a great time floating. Not a pool to teach her swimming. It also can get busy, so if you have a kid that is not comfortable, you now have a current and kids pushing and jumping, not good.

I think everyone agrees that young children should be supervised at all times when on vacation whether it is cruise based or land based especially so when swimming in any depth of water. Unfortunately, it is human nature, when we are on vacation we sometimes let our guard down. Accidents can and do happen in the blink of an eye.

With that said, the donut pool that was referenced, I believe is located in the kid based H2O zone. I believe this pool is a bit much(unless directly supervised), given the depth and strong circular current, for young children, especially located in the H2o area of the pool deck with the large number of kids running around, sometimes temptation is too much. That pool would be better suited in another area of the pool deck where there are more adults and fewer kids and less temptation for the kiddos just a quick dip just to give it a try. At least that way the temptation for the smallest cruisers would be out of sight out of mind.

Just my thought...

The pool actually is exactly where it should be IMHO. Bottom line if your a parent your responsible for your young one's, end of story...

that's because there are none AH, your observation is spot on....:)

This was the pool where they had a near drowning incident earlier this year so perhaps they added the attendant. Many times before this incident never saw an attendant.

When I was on Oasis in Feb every time I passed that pool I paid close attention to the children in there especially since I was aware of the near drowning. the water can have great force. Actually even if my child could swim I would be in there with them or watch them like a hawk.

Edited by emmy

My kids have loved the donut pool. I have seen small thin kids struggle with the current or fear of the water not really sure.

Only you know your kids limits and only you will watch your child carefully.

My DS started playing the donut pool at 5 and has loved it ever since.....but was already on swim team at that point.

Just last night we where at our pool club and a father left his going to say 3 yo in floating arm vest thing hanging on the side of the pool in 5ft depth, crying for his father as this dad of the year started swimming labs. My DH was close and pulled the kid out of the water. The mom was standing there with her hands full of a baby and 1 YO. Guard was watching the situation unfold could have been bad very fast.

My kids have loved the donut pool. I have seen small thin kids struggle with the current or fear of the water not really sure.

Only you know your kids limits and only you will watch your child carefully.

My DS started playing the donut pool at 5 and has loved it ever since.....but was already on swim team at that point.

Just last night we where at our pool club and a father left his going to say 3 yo in floating arm vest thing hanging on the side of the pool in 5ft depth, crying for his father as this dad of the year started swimming labs. My DH was close and pulled the kid out of the water. The mom was standing there with her hands full of a baby and 1 YO. Guard was watching the situation unfold could have been bad very fast.

So scary. I do hope this was a one time thing (one time too many) and good that your DH helped out. You are right...things can happen so fast.