Change dining preference online??

chill6x6

Hey!

Quick question…. Is it possible to change my dining preference(now 530PM) to ANYTIME(As You Wish??) on line?? Or am I going to have to call HAL?? I can't find how to do it on line if it's possible...

THANKS!

Unfortunately you can not change your dining time on HAL's site.

But you have plenty of time to do it before your November cruise.

Either have your TA do it for you or if you booked through HAL, you PCC can do it for you.

Let us know how you make out.

Edited by Krazy Kruizers

I believe the OP wants to switch FROM early dining to anytime dining. That being the case, there is no rush at all and it can be done on board very easily.

Never heard of a wait list for anytime/open/whatever name is right dining.

I believe the OP wants to switch FROM early dining to anytime dining. That being the case, there is no rush at all and it can be done on board very easily.

Never heard of a wait list for anytime/open/whatever name is right dining.

The reason I suggested changing now was because the early seating often fills up, and changing now opens up a spot for someone else. Also, if you change now, the room key will reflect the correct seating.

Edited by POA1

Personally I would do it now. There is almost always a long wait list for early dining. If you switch now someone can move up the food chain.

Whether you intended this to be a pun or not, thank you for saying this. Early dining seems to fill first, and giving up those seats now would help someone who is waitlisted.

For my upcoming cruise, I was waitlisted for early and got confirmed for early about 3 weeks out. It's a huge relief because now I don't have to worry about boarding early so I can get in the change queue on board. I don't know if someone made a change or HAL simply got around to finalizing their numbers. But if my move was because someone changed out of Early, thank you whoever you are!

This raises a question. Does anyone know how dining time preferences are honored? Do suites get first choice? Is it simply the order of booking? The times we've been in a Neptune suite, we got confirmed Early right away. The times we've been in other cabin grades, we were waitlisted and sometimes could change it on board and sometimes not.

Whether you intended this to be a pun or not, thank you for saying this. Early dining seems to fill first, and giving up those seats now would help someone who is waitlisted.

For my upcoming cruise, I was waitlisted for early and got confirmed for early about 3 weeks out. It's a huge relief because now I don't have to worry about boarding early so I can get in the change queue on board. I don't know if someone made a change or HAL simply got around to finalizing their numbers. But if my move was because someone changed out of Early, thank you whoever you are!

This raises a question. Does anyone know how dining time preferences are honored? Do suites get first choice? Is it simply the order of booking? The times we've been in a Neptune suite, we got confirmed Early right away. The times we've been in other cabin grades, we were waitlisted and sometimes could change it on board and sometimes not.

Normally, booking a Neptune gets you whatever dining time you want. Once we were waitlisted for Early and were in a Signature Suite. We got an upsell offer for a Neptune and when we took it we immediately were told we would now be assigned Early.

I like the advice others have given about cancelling Early and taking Open - that is letting HAL know ASAP so they can assign those on the normal waitlist for Early. It is a very considerate thing to do.

Edited by DaveOKC

I'm one that always did early dining and it meant a lot to have that honoured. There is no upside to waiting but lots of upside for someone that really likes early traditional and will now to be able to have that wish honoured. It's the right and considerate thing to do.

Just be sure you really want to make that change because once you do changing back will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, before you board.

If you really do want to change, call your TA and they'll handle it for you.

I'm curious if you've ever tried open or if you are just going by reviews. If you ask for a two top they will not seat you at a larger table. There may be a wait. I have also requested the same table in open and haven't had a problem. I think it's pretty hard to have a private, intimate dinner with 500 other people :). Ymmv.

I admit that I enjoy the same table/same wait staff each night. And yes, dinner with 500 other cruisers is hardly intimate, but I choose to not have to do a meet & greet every night, going through the same questions, "where are you from, what do you do, what other cruises" etc. etc. I have never used AYW Dining on HAL, but I have on NCL and Princess. Not a good experience for us. And HAL's website says that you must call a number or visit the AYW Dining office between 8am and 4pm every day to make your reservation for that evening. My personal choice is to have a known and proven dining experience, rather than a crapshoot of who I will be bumping elbows with at dinner.

I admit that I enjoy the same table/same wait staff each night. And yes, dinner with 500 other cruisers is hardly intimate, but I choose to not have to do a meet & greet every night, going through the same questions, "where are you from, what do you do, what other cruises" etc. etc. I have never used AYW Dining on HAL, but I have on NCL and Princess. Not a good experience for us. And HAL's website says that you must call a number or visit the AYW Dining office between 8am and 4pm every day to make your reservation for that evening. My personal choice is to have a known and proven dining experience, rather than a crapshoot of who I will be bumping elbows with at dinner.

I applaud you for going with a table for two. It's very uncomfortable to be sitting with folks that are not interested in talking at all. There is nothing wrong with wanting a table for two. You absolutely do not have to call every night. I've rarely had a reservation. I used to say not getting early traditional was a deal breaker for me until I was "forced" into the open. Now that is all I pick. I think a person needs to try things first even though they think they won't like it. I'm living proof of that. I'm not saying it's for everyone.

The reason I suggested changing now was because the early seating often fills up, and changing now opens up a spot for someone else. Also, if you change now, the room key will reflect the correct seating.

My post wasn't directed to you, but that is a good point and worth discussing.

I don't see a big deal in switching to any time dining.

The only negative with it is if the OP does it now, they might not be able to get their fixed dining back. Should they choose to wait until they are on board, they can try it, see if they like it and then change.

there is no correct table for open dining ;) so there is no advantage for the OP to do it early unless they are positive this is what they want.

Just some passing thoughts.

The only negative with it is if the OP does it now, they might not be able to get their fixed dining back. Should they choose to wait until they are on board, they can try it, see if they like it and then change.

there is no correct table for open dining ;) so there is no advantage for the OP to do it early unless they are positive this is what they want.

I thought once you opted out of fixed dining, they wouldn't change you back? Especially early, where someone on the waitlist would likely be given the fixed time vacated by the move to open.

I thought once you opted out of fixed dining, they wouldn't change you back? Especially early, where someone on the waitlist would likely be given the fixed time vacated by the move to open.

I believe she meant try out fixed seating before deciding to switch...

I have always been one for Early Fixed dining times. On our last cruise we decided to try Open (even though we could have gotten Early). We ended up liking the flexibility of the Open dining, especially not having to be "rushed" to get to dinner on time and to be able to stay late in a port and still make dinner.

Further, we met some very nice people at dinner and ended up dining with them several other times, as our schedules worked up.

One more thing - we like having dinner on our balcony during warm weather cruises and this way we do not feel guilty for "running out" on our tablemates if we decide to do this a time or two at the last minute.

EXCELLENT idea and thanks for helping be think it trough! That's EXACTLY what I am going to do! 5:30 IS a little early but we are going to give it a try. Will probably stick with it thru the first formal night at least.

I have always been one for Early Fixed dining times. On our last cruise we decided to try Open (even though we could have gotten Early). We ended up liking the flexibility of the Open dining, especially not having to be "rushed" to get to dinner on time and to be able to stay late in a port and still make dinner.

Further, we met some very nice people at dinner and ended up dining with them several other times, as our schedules worked up.

One more thing - we like having dinner on our balcony during warm weather cruises and this way we do not feel guilty for "running out" on our tablemates if we decide to do this a time or two at the last minute.

I find there is way more upside than downside with open. I'm not particularly picky so I don't care if the waiter knows my preferences. I don't like going to specialty restaurants several nights if I have traditional. I don't like to hold a table when I'm not there. I've met people that I've eaten several meals with in open because they were enjoyable. I had too many strange tablemates in traditional.

EXCELLENT idea and thanks for helping be think it trough! That's EXACTLY what I am going to do! 5:30 IS a little early but we are going to give it a try. Will probably stick with it thru the first formal night at least.

I have seen reports that the dining room staff compares fixed dining, cabin numbers and open seating. When a guest "tries" open seating dining for a few nights, some people say that your fixed seating reservation is cancelled and a waitlist request is accommodated. So, by trying open seating, even for one night, you may lose your fixed, early table. Check with the maitre'd onboard before you do it.

I have seen reports that the dining room staff compares fixed dining, cabin numbers and open seating. When a guest "tries" open seating dining for a few nights, some people say that your fixed seating reservation is cancelled and a waitlist request is accommodated. So, by trying open seating, even for one night, you may lose your fixed, early table. Check with the maitre'd onboard before you do it.

I believe the op is going to try traditional for a few days not the other way around. The chances of being able to "try" open for a few days would be slim to none and very unfair to people in open and traditional.

• 7 years later...

DH and I will be in a Neptune Suite on the Zaandam.  We booked a September 2024 cruise in March 2023 and have been waitlisted for early seating.  So much for Suite preference 🙄 

We are also considering switching to Anytime (Is that the right name?) Dining for convenience. Most of our port calls depart by 5 PM, but several are later.  Although I enjoy having the same waitstaff and table-mates every night, I would not like to have to rush back to the ship to get ready for early dining.

Is early seating at 5:30 PM?  What time is late seating? 

Edited by islandwoman