Bluetooth speakers

First time cruise in over 10 years so things change.

We like having music in our room / balcony, was wondering if anyone had experience with either wired or wireless speakers. The plan is to play music off a phone or tablet, there are some nice bluetooth speakers available now but we're unsure as to interference, range, etc. since ships are metal and all.

Thanks!

We took our Bose SoundLink speaker on our last cruise and it was perfect. It came in so handy when getting ready in the cabin or on the balcony (being mindful of volume and neighbors, of course.) It is the perfect size and easy to pack.

I have a lot of experience with Bluetooth speakers, although mostly at the cheaper end. I have one I like that I got from Amazon for about $15, it's waterproof and has a suction cup (designed for shower use), and the sucker has survived 18 months of shower use for me and dropping it many many times. Upside of getting a cheapie is that it is unlikely to get loud enough to bother your neighbors much, is very light, and can take a beating and water exposure during travel.

Sky's the limit on price from there, but I wouldn't spend more than $50 on one in these circumstances, especially in the interest of not sharing your music with the whole deck. :)

Price has nothing to do with how loud it will be and everything to do with sound quality. If you're listening to talk radio, by all means grab a $20 speaker. If you want depth, I'd look at the Mini Jawbone from Jambox or the JBL Flip 2. I own both, and they're both great, but I prefer the JBL.

Never got any complaints from my neighbors on the train (we were in a sleeper) or on the ship and we used it regularly.

We brought our Bose Soundlink Mini and the kids each had their Bose Soundlink Color. All worked perfectly and everyone was happy enjoying their own music. We enjoyed music on our balcony as well as when we were getting ready for dinner. We even brought our Bose Mini to the Solarium with us and played some music quietly near our chairs which were located mostly away from the rest of the others.

Bose Mini: https://www.bose.com/products/speakers/wireless_speakers/soundlink_mini_ii.html?mc=K2861305

Bose Color:

https://www.bose.com/products/speakers/wireless_speakers/soundlink-color-bluetooth-speaker.html?mc=K8031452

First time cruise in over 10 years so things change.

We like having music in our room / balcony, was wondering if anyone had experience with either wired or wireless speakers. The plan is to play music off a phone or tablet, there are some nice bluetooth speakers available now but we're unsure as to interference, range, etc. since ships are metal and all.

Thanks!

We use a Bluetooth speaker made by Pyle. The sound and signal range is quite good for what you would need in this setting. It is also splash proof (I think they advertise as marine- grade water resistance). I know that this model only charges via USB which may be something to consider. I wanted to try plugging it into the side of the television set's USB port for attempted charge but forgot and just used the laptop instead.

They have them on Overstock for less than $60. We also use it when in the garden or at tail gates.

Perfect timing for this post!...I was thinking the other day about taking my JAM Bluetooth speaker on an upcoming cruise and wasn't sure if it would work properly. Now, it is definitely coming with me. I like low volume music while getting ready in the mornings and winding down at night. I'm always cognizant of the people around me when traveling regardless if it's a cruise or hotel and am respectfully quiet not to disturb my fellow travelers. I'm hoping they will be just as respectful of me in return.[/size][/size]

Sorry, but I just don't understand why people think that keeping their music low on the balcony is fine. If I'm on the balcony next to you and you can hear your music then so can I. Your tastes my not be mine. I am respectfully quite when I'm outdoors and really only want to hear the sound of the ocean.

Sorry, but I just don't understand why people think that keeping their music low on the balcony is fine. If I'm on the balcony next to you and you can hear your music then so can I. Your tastes my not be mine. I am respectfully quite when I'm outdoors and really only want to hear the sound of the ocean.

I agree. Use earphones. Just because nobody complained doesn't mean they are not annoyed. Lots of people just try to avoid confrontation while on vacation.

I agree. Use earphones. Just because nobody complained doesn't mean they are not annoyed. Lots of people just try to avoid confrontation while on vacation.

Thank you - that is as it should be. I believe you have the right to enjoy what ever you want to listen to in your cabin or on your balcony. Using earphones or buds is the only polite way to go on a balcony.

I have been on a cruise or 2 😁. I always take our Beats Pill and play it outside. The really have to crack it up to overpower the sound of the ocean. I do try and be mindful of my music as some is mature. Just remember to keep it changed. Of all the cruises I been on I have never heard music on my balcony.

Thanks for pointing this out. Music genre is a personal choice. So, why would anyone subject others to their selections?

Want music on your balcony? Use earphones and a splitter from the source. You can still have the sound cube. Just keep it indoors.

Thank you for the replies everyone, even the crabby ones, especially concerning the waterproof models. Have 2 months until sail so will shop around.

About all the noise concerns, of course keeping it down is expected but to what extent? One replier indicated that if he didn't have absolute silence but for waves he was unhappy, what about ppl talking in the balcony next to you? At what point does it transition from "I'm King of the World" to "I am sharing this boat with 3000 other people"?

Anyway all good, gonna ask more questions about excursions elsewhere, thanks everyone!

Knew this was coming sooner or later.....I love the fact that suites come with the Bose surround... Crank it up!!

Edited by CaribSailor

Knew this was coming sooner or later.....I love the fact that suites come with the Bose surround... Crank it up!!

Seriously? We are in Royal Family Suite on Liberty, are you saying there's an audio input?

Thank you for the replies everyone, even the crabby ones, especially concerning the waterproof models. Have 2 months until sail so will shop around.

About all the noise concerns, of course keeping it down is expected but to what extent? One replier indicated that if he didn't have absolute silence but for waves he was unhappy, what about ppl talking in the balcony next to you? At what point does it transition from "I'm King of the World" to "I am sharing this boat with 3000 other people"?

Anyway all good, gonna ask more questions about excursions elsewhere, thanks everyone!

No, not absolute silence - I simply don't want to hear your music on my balcony. And you are quite mistaken if you think my posts indicate I have a "King of the World" attitude. If you read my second post, I clearly indicated that you have the right to listen to what ever you want on your balcony, just use earbuds. If you object to doing that who is being more selfish?