Princess fans just off the QM2

kendon

After two dozen Princess cruises, we just got off our first Cunard last week (QM2). It's difficult to compare the two cruiselines since that would be comparing apples and oranges. Totally different demographic and cruise experience. However, the most noticeable difference would be that the passengers on the QM2 were mostly European and never complained! As a result of their restraint to whine, their main comment to everything was "lovely". How refreshing! Overall it was a great experience that we would do again.

However, I am really looking forward to my next Princess cruise ;).

After two dozen Princess cruises, we just got off our first Cunard last week (QM2). It's difficult to compare the two cruiselines since that would be comparing apples and oranges. Totally different demographic and cruise experience. However, the most noticeable difference would be that the passengers on the QM2 were mostly European and never complained! As a result of their restraint to whine, their main comment to everything was "lovely"...

I have heard that both passengers and staff on Cunard can be snobbish, by U.S. standards anyway. Did you find that to be the case, or was it simply good manners that some Americans mistake for pretense?

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

After two dozen Princess cruises, we just got off our first Cunard last week (QM2). It's difficult to compare the two cruiselines since that would be comparing apples and oranges. Totally different demographic and cruise experience. However, the most noticeable difference would be that the passengers on the QM2 were mostly European and never complained! As a result of their restraint to whine, their main comment to everything was "lovely". How refreshing! Overall it was a great experience that we would do again.

However, I am really looking forward to my next Princess cruise ;).

It would be" refreshing" if you posted some photos.

I have heard that both passengers and staff on Cunard can be snobbish, by U.S. standards anyway. Did you find that to be the case, or was it simply good manners that some Americans mistake for pretense?

Crew on Cunard is very polite but to those expecting the effusiveness that most Princess crew tailor toward their USA audience Cunard will seem clipped and maybe just a little cold. Only friendly banter you will encounter will be from the bar staff; Purser's desk especially avoids the cloying pseudo-sympathy one has come to expect when reporting a problem issue. I wouldn't call it pretentious but it is a noticeable cultural difference especially when considering Cunard's staff is mainly from eastern Europe unlike Princess' from south Asia where deference and respect for older people is more ingrained. In Cunard's defense I can report you are much more likely to get a response when requesting to be contacted by a higher-up from a specific department than you are on Princess.

Totally different demographic and cruise experience. However, the most noticeable difference would be that the passengers on the QM2 were mostly European and never complained! As a result of their restraint to whine, their main comment to everything was "lovely". How refreshing! Overall it was a great experience that we would do again.

I presume you were on a crossing, as having taken two QM2 crossings and two "regular" cruises on Cunard it is clear those on a crossing are among the most seasoned cruisers you will encounter, know exactly what to expect and wouldn't find much to complain about even if challenged to. But I too would easily choose Princess over Cunard for any port-intensive itinerary.

But be careful when referring to the Cunard clientele as "mostly European" without making any distinction between the British (and Irish) and those from the Continent. My non-crossing on QM2 had a breakdown of 60% Continentals, 30% British Isles, and 10% US/Canada/rest of the world. The Brits were for the most part thoughtful, patient, and easy to chat with. The other Europeans--aside from lacking the ability to queue and even the most rudimentary elevator etiquette--were standoffish, cliquish and constantly demanding to be kowtowed to; even those who spoke passable English would repeatedly demand a crew member who speaks their native tongue be produced on the spot. (Thankfully, when speaking with a Brit, if you make a generalization about 'Europeans' they assume you are not including them :D)

Edited by fishywood

I think the Cunard clientele actually own their tuxes while the Princess clientele rent theirs....;)

I think the Cunard clientele actually own their tuxes while the Princess clientele rent theirs....;)

We love QM2,and Princess equally, and frequent both. Incidentally, DH owns his own tuxedo as it packs more easily and I love how he looks in a tux!

Last year, we did a RT Southampton on Emerald Princess which was our most fun cruise ever. (Well, the itinerary was fabulous, too) There were some Australians, Europeans, and others, about 100 Canadians, and only about 90 Americans on board. The other 2,000+ were British!!! Very lively, very friendly - what a wonderful experience that was!!!

My suggestion to those who perceived a cold reception is to remember when initiating any conversation to precede with a pleasant "good morning" or "good afternoon".

Crew on Cunard is very polite but to those expecting the effusiveness that most Princess crew tailor toward their USA audience Cunard will seem clipped and maybe just a little cold. Only friendly banter you will encounter will be from the bar staff; Purser's desk especially avoids the cloying pseudo-sympathy one has come to expect when reporting a problem issue. I wouldn't call it pretentious but it is a noticeable cultural difference especially when considering Cunard's staff is mainly from eastern Europe unlike Princess' from south Asia where deference and respect for older people is more ingrained. In Cunard's defense I can report you are much more likely to get a response when requesting to be contacted by a higher-up from a specific department than you are on Princess.

I presume you were on a crossing, as having taken two QM2 crossings and two "regular" cruises on Cunard it is clear those on a crossing are among the most seasoned cruisers you will encounter, know exactly what to expect and wouldn't find much to complain about even if challenged to. But I too would easily choose Princess over Cunard for any port-intensive itinerary.

But be careful when referring to the Cunard clientele as "mostly European" without making any distinction between the British (and Irish) and those from the Continent. My non-crossing on QM2 had a breakdown of 60% Continentals, 30% British Isles, and 10% US/Canada/rest of the world. The Brits were for the most part thoughtful, patient, and easy to chat with. The other Europeans--aside from lacking the ability to queue and even the most rudimentary elevator etiquette--were standoffish, cliquish and constantly demanding to be kowtowed to; even those who spoke passable English would repeatedly demand a crew member who speaks their native tongue be produced on the spot. (Thankfully, when speaking with a Brit, if you make a generalization about 'Europeans' they assume you are not including them :D)

That's because we class ourselves as British, and NOT European. Apart from the few minority.

We love QM2,and Princess equally, and frequent both. Incidentally, DH owns his own tuxedo as it packs more easily and I love how he looks in a tux!

Last year, we did a RT Southampton on Emerald Princess which was our most fun cruise ever. (Well, the itinerary was fabulous, too) There were some Australians, Europeans, and others, about 100 Canadians, and only about 90 Americans on board. The other 2,000+ were British!!! Very lively, very friendly - what a wonderful experience that was!!!

My suggestion to those who perceived a cold reception is to remember when initiating any conversation to precede with a pleasant "good morning" or "good afternoon".

Contrary to popular believe, Brits do like to chat. We just don't want to know your life story in the first five minutes of talking to you...

Absolutely true, the Brits like to chat and DO make great conversation but are slow to start. Very little extraneous chatter...which I liked alot.

As for the poster that said they'd prefer Princess for a port intensive cruise, I'd have to agree with that. The eastern TA crossing we did was just perfect on this fabulous ocean liner and I'd recommend it. However, teens may be bored. The purpose of our cruise was to just relax.

Someone else did mention the crew and how aloof they were. That would be my disappointment...they were less than enthusiastic in all areas (except the pub). Many just seemed to be unhappy with their jobs. Tables took too long to be cleared in the buffet area finding seating difficult, and no one is there to get you beverages while you are seated. Princess service wins big!

As for photos, you can't beat youtube for QM2 tours.

But not women's cricket or netball (hey I take my victories where I can find them).

Being completely sexist and politically incorrect, I will go as far as saying that woman's sport doesn't count as they couldn't possibly be able to play them correctly.....😜😜😜😜😱😱😱😱

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Contrary to popular believe, Brits do like to chat. We just don't want to know your life story in the first five minutes of talking to you...

Absolutely Correct…i could not have said it better, and heck, i am from florida!

Fair one - the Rugby World Cup starts soon - that will be interesting.

Was watching Sammy Burgess with great interest last night. (I'm a massive South Sydney fan) part of me was hoping he'll flop so he comes back to the Bunnies.

Finally, a topic I can speak on. DH and I did a Regal Princess TA in April and then, for the first time, took the QM2 back to NYC. Wow, what a contrast. We much much prefer Princess but maybe the contrast between these two ships wasn't totally fair. We had just spent a great 17 days on the Regal with the biggest and best buffet on the seas where you actually have great table service, plenty of seats and choices. Comparing this to the QM2 was radical to say the least. Very inferior buffet with few seats and no table service to speak of.

After a day or two we named the QM2 the "Ghost ship" because it felt like we were on an empty ship. No people out and about all day, no activity in the atrium and no one ever on the elevators. (can you imagine, no one pushing to get on the elevators? lol) Room steward was friendly enough but the absence of humans wandering around during the day was the strangest thing we had ever seen. It wasn't a bad cruise and sure beat flying back to the US but we were not prepared for the huge differences. Think we will stick to our Princess ships. They seem to fit our personality a bit better.

Judy from SW Florida