Carnival needs to change their CHEERS package

KevinsCruising

I agree the program needs to be revamped. Not so much with the limit of 15 but with requiring anyone in the cabin purchasing the program. My wife does not drink much at all, maybe a glass of wine at dinner and one at a show. She might also have 1 by the pool during the day. Just a shame unlike other cruise lines she would be forced to buy the program.

Next, what if a woman is breastfeeding and not drinking at all, or possibly only 1 drink at night? What if a woman is pregnant? OR just simply someone who doesn't drink?

Yes, I know some will say don't buy the program etc etc But If I drink 10-15 drinks on sea days, and 10 or so on port days it would be really nice for Carnival to allow just me to take advantage of a package.

I would love to see a mini drink package. Pay for a set number of drinks at one set cost, and let those drinks spread out over the whole cruise. So, a package of 10 drinks could be bought for $50 or something, and those 10 drinks can be bought at any time during the cruise.

Wonder how they get the bar to balance on an audit? They know how many pours and waste there is from each bottle. They must have some bartender discretion built in.

from what I can tell, there's few checks and balances on liquor. Just think of the number of substitutions of one liquor to another. I had them change out vodka for rum on all drinks I ordered, I can't stand vodka. Reciepts all still had the same name of the drink on it. clearly there's a lot discretion for the bartender.

Wonder how they get the bar to balance on an audit? They know how many pours and waste there is from each bottle. They must have some bartender discretion built in.

That bartender described in the post you responded to was risking his/her job. I think the person who made that post wants us to believe that he is such a smart guy that he can get bartenders to game the system. In reality, I think he was so drunk after the 15th drink that the bartender was really feeding him soda, and he did not even know it.

I've never bartended on a cruise ship, but have bartended for a living in a past life. There are plenty of ways around a liquor count, which isn't even an exact science anyway. Comp tab, spill tab, under pour etc.

Norwegian Cruise line is offering the drink package for free and its unlimited amount ............ seems like a no brainer :rolleyes:

Yep, a no brainer to avoid Norwegian. :D I much prefer that the heavy drinkers pay for their alcohol, and the non-drinkers and light drinkers cruise cheaper.

They should offer an option for sharing a package.

Might as well just sell a punch-card then.

Carnival isn't selling you 15 drinks per day. They are selling you the opportunity to consume 15 drinks per day. Sharing the package (especially since you get unlimited soda) just means their profit margin drops.

I do wish they would let just one person in a cabin buy it; but with all the getting around the rules posted on this board, I totally understand why they don't!

I'm not usually a fan of "unlimited" but I really do think that if Carnival chooses to sell a program that incorporates "all" types of alcohol for consumption they need to weigh the fact that 15 drinks doesn't equate to "X ounces" of alcohol. How do you compare a Long Island Ice Tea which is basically 100% booze measured at 40% alcohol with a bud light which is at most 5% or a glass of red wine which averages 15%. And how does Carnival really justify telling a purchaser that they can have $150 worth of fru-fru drinks but only $75 worth of beer while they are charging the same. (I know, I know its Carnival, go figure).

I'll bet that the guy drinking 15 Long Island Ice Teas per day is very rare but the guy drinking 15 bud lights with room to spare is much more the case. I also suspect that the amount of people who would consume more than 15 full strength drinks if the limit would be raised would be pretty negligible. A drunk is a drunk is a drunk and limiting their alcohol content really can't be controlled....15 cheers drinks and a bottle of smuggled vodka is more likely.

I agree with many that Carnival needs to rethink their beverage policy. I would be the 1st in line to buy a card that would cover a couple of fru-fru coffees, a few glasses of wine, and a few shots of baileys along with that DOD while lounging in the sun.

They should offer a second cheers package (call it the cheers lite program) at $22.00/day in price for a qty of six (6) beer and/or wine only for those who would like to drink, but not get totally wasted.

Great idea, or have a lite program of 25.00/30.00 a day for 7 or 8 drinks, not just including beer and wine. Probably would make more money by leaving things as they are though.

Alcohol pours were not audited in the past, perhaps that has changed.

My sister & I bought the Cheers Package on our recent Conquest cruise (first time for me). I wanted to try different drinks and since I was celebrating a birthday while onboard, I thought it would be well worth it. We were also staying onboard in most ports as we had been to the ports and wanted this cruise to be all about relaxing.

Well, I never even came close to 10 drinks, much less 15. I got most of my drinks at the adult pool bar and I was adding a couple of extra $$ each time I ordered from the bartenders, and was getting top shelf liquor. I don't know if this had anything to do with it or not, but after 3-4 drinks I was on my butt! I'm not a real heavy drinker in my normal life, but I do drink so I'm not a light-weight.

So, it wasn't worth it for me, but I'm glad I did it. I too would like to be able to get specialty coffees and it would be nice if everyone in the cabin didn't have to purchase it. I don't really see how they think this stops sharing - I've seen many people sharing by using tervis tumblers - order a drink, walk off and pour it into their friend's tervis, wait 5 or 10 minutes and go to another bar and order again for themselves. Not real difficult.

We generally opt to buy booze packages whether aboard Carnival, RCCL or NCL. Our goal is not to get drunk; we're far from college age these days (though on the occasion it does happen, don't judge!). We realized at the end of our cruises, the bulk of our on-board charges are from cocktails and beer. We learned we simply can't be bothered with keeping track of bills at the end of a cruise anymore.

When we first cruised Carnival and opted for the package, I was a bit concerned with the 15 limit, but only because there are a couple of days each vacation we do tend to have more than on others. Be that as it may, any concern was pointless. We never hit that limit. I'm a 6'4", 200lb guy; I've learned 15 is plenty on a good day.

My one thought are those that feel they absolutely must hit that limit daily. "I paid for it so I damn well drink it." Seriously? But, it is what it is. I may not understand it, but I'd definitely drink with you.

If you are consuming more than 15 alcoholic drinks per day you have problems....holiday or not. Its still tricky to get up to even with other drinks.

However the Guest Service manager on the Legend told us it was a way to try and limit sharing one package.

Way to cast judgement upon others.... not to mention with completely flawed logic. I get cheers on every cruise and I can easily hit the 15 maximum without even getting a buzz. I like to drink the Miami Vice's which are extremely watered down and lack much alcoholic content. If you drink around 5-7 of those from late morning to late afternoon, you have already burned through half your drinks and you are far from a buzz. Next time think a little before you cast judgement.

I agree you should be able to pre book the Cheers package. I like having most everything paid for before I sail. I also wish Carnival would offer in addition to the Cheers pkg. drink vouchers like MSC. I'm sailing on Breeze with 4 days in port. I'm gonna have to play catch up on those days to break even.

Ncl may do unlimited but their fares are more expensive!

This is not always the case. I booked with NCL back in Feb for an upcoming cruise in Nov (Mex Riviera). At the time the price difference between NCL, CCL, and PCL was only with in $15-$20 of each other. NCL was the clear choice for me on that because it included their version of cheers.

As of now, the price difference for the cruise for NCL and CCL is $177. NCL being the higher priced. If I were to go with CCL I would then need to factor in an additional $800 for the cheers package, so CCL would cost me more. Now, if I were not interested in drinking at all on this particular cruise, I would def go with CCL as I had a great time on the Miracle, and great experience with CCL in general on my two trips with them.

As long as they are meeting their goal in terms of sales, no reason to change it. If the number of people who would switch to another cruise because they want more than 15 drinks per day gets high enough, then maybe Carnival makes a change.

This sums it up.

If you are consuming more than 15 alcoholic drinks per day you have problems....holiday or not. Its still tricky to get up to even with other drinks.

Not on a full sea day when you are only drinking beer. I have friends who will go through a 12 pack of light beer in a day out on the boat and barely have a buzz.

Carnival needs to change their CHEERS package from 15 drinks to unlimited. Too much competition with other lines like Norwegian, MSC that are offering unlimited. I don't mind paying but I don't want to worry about the limit of drinks I had.

I really don't understand these types of threads. Does anyone truly think a thread here will impact how any business does business? Carnival will do what they want (and personally I think 15 drinks on the Cheers package is very generous except for the most severe alcoholic) and if someone is unhappy with how Carnival does business, there are other lines to go to. Don't worry, someone will be standing behind those that leave to take their places.

I agreed wish unlimitid drinks. I drink moar then 15 drincs per dae and it don't effect me none at all. Carnival needs to get with it and let ush drink as mush as we wont to.

You already can. Don't get the Cheers package and pay for as many drinks as you want. Problem solved. Next? :cool:

I really don't understand these types of threads. Does anyone truly think a thread here will impact how any business does business? Carnival will do what they want (and personally I think 15 drinks on the Cheers package is very generous except for the most severe alcoholic) and if someone is unhappy with how Carnival does business, there are other lines to go to. Don't worry, someone will be standing behind those that leave to take their places.

Amen...I always shake my head with the high tolerance remarks. People have a high tolerance because they have built up that tolerance . I personally could care less what anybody's drinking habits are. It's their dime, and their business.

And to a sober person, it is very easy to spot an intoxicated person, whether they think they are or not. I like a few drinks, but not every day, and not more than a couple, so Cheers doesn't work for me. And as I've gotten older, I tend to focus more on healthy habits. Now 30 years ago, it was a different story. LOL

But back to the thread. These are Carnival's rules and if you want to drink more than allotted, then buy a bottle from Bon Voyage or go to an AI.

Edited by crzndeb

Why is there a need to understand the thread, and not just take it for what it is? A person expressing their opinion, and others agreeing, or disagreeing.

Your belief that it is very generous is not necessarily agreed upon by all, but that is your opinion (and I can respect that).

Just because someone thinks something could be better if tweaked, it does not mean that people don't like the product as a whole. So why would these travelers need to go to another line?