Booking next cruise while on a cruise - Restrictions?

RecoveryDude

Hi - can someone tell me more about booking a cruise at the future cruise desk? Here are my questions:

1. Do I have to know who is going with me? I will be cruising with "someone" but not sure which of my lucky friends will come with me. Can I just book for "two" people but not know the name of the other person?

2. Do I have to stick with the exact cruise I booked ... or can I change it later to a completely different cruise? If I change it is there a change fee?

3. How much of a deposit will be required and does that just get put on my S&S account?

Thanks so much!!

Recovery Dude - aka Jeff

Hi - can someone tell me more about booking a cruise at the future cruise desk? Here are my questions:

1. Do I have to know who is going with me? I will be cruising with "someone" but not sure which of my lucky friends will come with me. Can I just book for "two" people but not know the name of the other person?

I don't know the answer to this question. Sorry.

2. Do I have to stick with the exact cruise I booked ... or can I change it later to a completely different cruise? If I change it is there a change fee?

We always book a "dummy" booking on our cruises. We ask the Future Cruise Agent to find us the shortest cruise, furthest out. We only book using Past Guest rate because we know we won't sail that cruise. (There is no fee to change or cancel, as long as it is before final payment date. Early saver will incur fees if changes are made.) When the right cruise comes along, I contact my PVP who transfers the booking to the new cruise.

3. How much of a deposit will be required and does that just get put on my S&S account?

The deposit amount depends on the length of the cruise you book.

When we were on Legend in July, we booked a three day cruise for April 2017. We paid $150 pp, which was charged to the credit card on file, not our S&S account. We had to pay the difference in deposit when we changed the cruise to a 13 day sailing.

The on board credit received also depends upon the length of the cruise booked. Our obc changed when we switched from a three day cruise to the 13 day sailing.

Thanks so much!!

You're quite welcome.

Recovery Dude - aka Jeff

Starting a cruise with an on board credit is wonderful.

You could book the future cruise solo and pay the supplement (book for one and pay for two)--then add the second person later when you have the name and date of birth.

As far as the Deposit, it is based on number of days for the future cruise…

3days=$100pp

4days=$150pp

5days=$200pp

6&7days=$250pp

8day=$300pp

9+&Europe=$400pp

For booking onboard, you get two Friends and Family vouchers to give to others upon returning from your current cruise. If they also book the same future cruise as yours within 60 days, they also get the OBC. OBC is also based on number of cruise days...

$50 USD per stateroom on a 3, 4 or 5 day cruise

$75 USD per stateroom on a 6 day cruise

$100 USD per stateroom on a 7, 8, 9, 10 or 11 day cruise

$200 USD per stateroom on a 12 day cruise or longer cruise

Single occupancy receive 100% of the on board credit.

Look for the Cruise Loyalty Expert on your current cruise. You book the future cruise thru that person and they can answer other questions about the details of the Loyalty Program.

Here's hoping you have a great cruise and an even greater future cruise. Bon Voyage!

Help me understand, if I book a dummy 3 day cruise with past guest....and then change it to a 7-8 day early saver Does my OBC change from 50 to 100? Or do I have to keep it both Past Guest

Maybe you just answered it. But I got a bit confused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ladygal4.4

Help me understand, if I book a dummy 3 day cruise with past guest....and then change it to a 7-8 day early saver Does my OBC change from 50 to 100? Or do I have to keep it both Past Guest

Once you have the Future Cruise Certificate (it has a unique tracking #) you can change your 3 day Past Guest dummy booking to an Early Saver 7-8 day cruise and get the $100 OBC benefit.

Maybe you just answered it. But I got a bit confused

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry if I confused you.

Once you have the Future Cruise Certificate (it has a unique tracking #) you can change your 3 day Past Guest dummy booking to an Early Saver 7-8 day cruise and get the $100 OBC benefit.

This is correct.

There are no Future Cruise Certificates any more so no tracking numbers. They were eliminated three years ago. You book a "dummy" booking and you get a booking number. You will keep the same booking number when you book your "real" cruise.

You can change to any booking code that you are eligible for and is available at the time you make the new booking. There is no fee to make the change. The amount of OBC is changed to reflect the correct amount for the number of days on the new booking.

Just a word of caution: we booked an 8-day Early Saver cruise while onboard, receiving $100 credit. However, we LOST our $100 credit when we submitted for price drops via Early Saver. Frustrating, and made me realize that booking onboard is not really worth it.

CeleBrat

Just a word of caution: we booked an 8-day Early Saver cruise while onboard, receiving $100 credit. However, we LOST our $100 credit when we submitted for price drops via Early Saver. Frustrating, and made me realize that booking onboard is not really worth it.

CeleBrat

all you have to do is call in and they will give you the 100 back on your sailing for booking on board have had to do this miny times

CeleBrat

The OBC for booking onboard should NEVER be lost through a price drop. That does happen occasionally when they correct the price. The OBC has to be manually added.

Thank you for all the info! Let me make sure I understand:

So I can book a "dummy" 3 night cruise, "for two people" but only give my name and birthday, (leave the other name blank) and but PAY a deposit for "two" people (Which would be $300 total for a 3 night cruise) and book a LATE 2016 or even 2017 date, if avalable - and then CHANGE the booking to a 7 day cruise that's much earlier and the deposit (and NEW corresponding onboard credit) would just transfer to the new cruise? Can I change the rate type? In other words, can I book at a past guest rate while on the ship then change to a different cruise with Early Saver?

Thanks again!

CeleBrat

Just changed to ES on an upcoming cruise on the phone. Waited for the confirmation email and for the numbers to change on my account before we hung up. Like you, found out that the Book Onboard OBC was not there. She had to do something and the OBC was appeared.

The deposit for a 3 night cruise is $100 per person so it would be $200 for two. You can book into 2017 now.

You can change to any date and any available rate that you qualify for and your OBC will change to the correct amount for the length of your cruise. Past guest is a good rate to book under and yes, you can change to early saver when you're ready. If anyone tells you that you lose the OBC when you change, call back because they don't know what they are talking about.

If you initially book under a rate with a discounted deposit or additional OBC, when you change you will be under the rules of the new promotion. So, you might have to pay the balance of the deposit or lose the OBC. Doesn't usually apply to past guest rate. The OBC for the book on board rate is yours and you can't lose it.

CeleBrat

You do have to make sure the phone agent knows to carry over the on-board credit. Some of the agents don't have the experience to do it and they may need to ask a supervisor. Before you end the call you should check your online account to make sure the OBC is reflected in your new cruise.

I've ended the call and checked my new cruise online and the OBC did not get attached. I made a quick call back and the new agent took care of it right away.

Hopefully you did not cruise yet because you can still call and get the OBC added back.

Edited by JohnSpo

So.... I am interested in doing this.

Next week I will be on the Glory.

We plan to do the Alaska cruise next June.

So if I book the Alaska 7-day cruise, I get a $100 room credit for that cruise? And 2 vouchers to give to friends to book the same cruise? right?

So if I book the Alaska 7-day cruise, I get a $100 room credit for that cruise? And 2 vouchers to give to friends to book the same cruise? right?

Correct.

Also, the friends booking on your cruise will also get the $100 credit.

Correct.

Also, the friends booking on your cruise will also get the $100 credit.

thanks, that is what I thought.

my husband and I have friends who might actually book if we do it... everyone keeps saying they want to do Alaska. Maybe we can get a fun group together and share a couple of vouchers.

thanks, that is what I thought.

my husband and I have friends who might actually book if we do it... everyone keeps saying they want to do Alaska. Maybe we can get a fun group together and share a couple of vouchers.

Your friends will have to book the same cruise as you within 60 days of when you book. The F&F vouchers are good for only 60 days.

FYI - I ran into this interesting problem, so be aware.

We booked a B2B2B - 3 cruises and booked them onboard during the same cruise. The plan was for us to cruise for 3 cruises and 2 different couples would join us for each cruise. We booked onboard so we could get (2) F&F certificates for each cruise, so 2 couples each could cruise with us.

When we booked, we were asked which cruise we wanted to F&F certs for. We said all of them and we were told - 2 F&F cert PER CABIN for the cruise. That's right, the exact wording is "up to 2 F&F cert per cabin." That means even though we booked 3 cruises, we would only get two certs for 1 cruise

The mistake we made was booking them together on one cruise. We should have booked each cruise on a different cruise, so we could get 3 groups of cert.

We knew that was wrong and called carnival when we got back. The outcome - the fine print stops your from getting more than 2 per cabin on the cruise. Now if my wife had been in another cabin, we could have received 2 each and covered 2 cruises.

So, keep that in mind there is fine print to the f&F certs. We still got our OBC for the 3 cruises but only had 2 certs, not 6 as we thought.

ALSO - if you cancel the cruise, your friends who booked with your cert will lose their OBC - you have to sail

Edited by Archie796

That's strange. :confused:We booked 3 Vista cruises while on the Breeze in January and got F&F's for all 3. Two of them are b2b.

We did not end up using them as all our friends had already booked these cruises.

I do not have the vouchers anymore as they have expired so cannot read the fine print. All I know is we were given the vouchers for each cruise that we booked.

You do have to make sure the phone agent knows to carry over the on-board credit. Some of the agents don't have the experience to do it and they may need to ask a supervisor. Before you end the call you should check your online account to make sure the OBC is reflected in your new cruise.

I've ended the call and checked my new cruise online and the OBC did not get attached. I made a quick call back and the new agent took care of it right away.

Hopefully you did not cruise yet because you can still call and get the OBC added back.

Again--completely frustrating, as I did call and ask about the initial $100, and was told it was gone due to the ES rules. So, we ended up sailing without that additional $100. Our total ES credit was $180, but it should have been $280.

I definitely won't book onboard again.

CeleBrat

That's strange. :confused:We booked 3 Vista cruises while on the Breeze in January and got F&F's for all 3. Two of them are b2b.

We did not end up using them as all our friends had already booked these cruises.

I do not have the vouchers anymore as they have expired so cannot read the fine print. All I know is we were given the vouchers for each cruise that we booked.

Yes, we have too. You are right, but we ended up with the problem when we tried it again. It is inconsistent, like everything with Carnival. In the end, we won. I got insurance for the cruises, and at our age, no problem coming up with an excuse. We cancelled, and two of the other couples tried to book them. One succeeded in getting a voucher for each cruise and the other did not and ran into the same problem.

So, the fine print is there to prevent it, and it is the luck of the draw.

My point is, if you have the ability to book a cruise then book them separate on different cruise to make sure you get them

I am in my 80's, cruising days are numbered. Therefore, 500 people would post that this isn't true and it does not affect me. For the people who want to store this tidbit in case they run into the same problem someday - it is here for them.

Edited by Archie796

FYI - I ran into this interesting problem, so be aware.

When we booked, we were asked which cruise we wanted to F&F certs for. We said all of them and we were told - 2 F&F cert PER CABIN for the cruise. That's right, the exact wording is "up to 2 F&F cert per cabin." That means even though we booked 3 cruises, we would only get two certs for 1 cruise

The mistake we made was booking them together on one cruise. We should have booked each cruise on a different cruise, so we could get 3 groups of cert.

As a work around, could you book the B2B2B as 3 separate cruises with 3 different booking numbers along with booking 3 different cabins? At a later date could you then change to the same cabin assuming a benefit of a B2B2B cruise is to have the same cabin? Do you think this would result in you receiving OBC and F&F certificates for each of the 3 cruises?:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

one final question: I'm considering booking an "extra" cruise, that I may or may not decide to take. If I book with PG rate, can I CANCEL that dummy booking and get a REFUND of the deposit I paid? This extra booking will be for as far out as possible, so I assume there will be a deadline to cancel, which is fine. Any information you can provide would be helpful. Thanks!!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude