Princess Formal Nights vs Holland America Gala Nights

trekie69

I'm surprised that I haven't seen a discussion regarding the change in Holland America's Formal Night to Gala Night dress code and whether Princess is contemplating a change (relaxation of the rules?) as well. Yes, yes, I know - dress codes have been done to death :mad::mad:, but gosh, we do seem to love getting mad about it, don't we?? :confused:

I'll be sailing on both lines in the coming months so I thought that this might be a suitable time to raise the red flag and throw the gauntlet out and see what everyone's thoughts are. As usual, everyone's opinion is a GREAT opinion, it's just different from mine or yours :p....

Oh - and I prefer open neck long sleeve (or short sleeve, kinda depends on the weather) dress shirts and a navy or white (weather thing again) jacket for every night in the MDR. I said "prefer", that doesn't mean I haven't worn shorts and short sleeves to the MDR at one point or another. :eek: :) NO ripped jeans or flip flop thingy's though....

We sailed HAL a couple of weeks ago, and felt the dress on gala night was just like Princess formal night . Also, neither cruise line will allow men in shorts any night in the MDR. I saw a couple of men turned away on cruise casual night, just as I have seen on Princess .

I once witnessed a maitre'd truss a man near the entrance to the dining room using his tank top cut into strips to secure him, and then flog him with his own flip fop until he passed out. True story... Or maybe a friend told me about it.

Why must people fight traditions or try and get over on the system? Either conform and enjoy the evening, or go eat somewhere else and enjoy the evening for goodness sake. I don't know, but I assume most of the pushback on formal wear comes from men. I would venture that if these men played along, they would have some pretty darned happy wives. Works for me. I own two dinner jackets that I alternate with different accessories. It was a pretty cheap investment that gets used a couple times per year. I also occasionally break out the Army mess dress. I can tell you it contributes greatly to marital bliss. And sometimes it even feels good to just dress up fancy.

Uh, you do realize, don't you that, unless you are on active duty, you are only authorized to wear that uniform on specific occasions?

Tom

Actually, that is not correct. Retired military may wear the dress uniform of the rank they retired at on formal occasions. There was a retired Marine officer at our table on a world cruise last year and he looked extremely sharp in his dress uniform. Unfortunately mine no longer fits.

Who says I'm not on active duty?

Very true, you may very well be. I was making an assumption (yep, I know about those and what they do :rolleyes:) which certainly may have been in error. If that's the case, my apologies for my error. Which branch? I started out in Inf. and ended up in Aviation. Miss the fun and games of those years.

And thank you for your service.

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

Actually, that is not correct. Retired military may wear the dress uniform of the rank they retired at on formal occasions. There was a retired Marine officer at our table on a world cruise last year and he looked extremely sharp in his dress uniform. Unfortunately mine no longer fits.

No, actually it is correct. Regs for the Navy and Marine Corps may be different but Army regs do prohibit it. I can provide a reference if you'd like.

TOm

I once witnessed a maitre'd truss a man near the entrance to the dining room using his tank top cut into strips to secure him, and then flog him with his own flip fop until he passed out. True story... Or maybe a friend told me about it.
If you read it on the Internet, it must be true. ::: snicker :::

Actually, I find the new HAL dress change interesting and wouldn't be surprised if Princess followed suit. The reality is that "formal" nights aren't anywhere near as formal as they used to be. Gone are the days when you packed a heavy beaded gown (or gowns) for formal nights. The vast majority of women wear "dress-up" clothes, not formal wear. Fewer and fewer men wear tuxes.

No, actually it is correct. Regs for the Navy and Marine Corps may be different but Army regs do prohibit it. I can provide a reference if you'd like.

TOm

Thanks for setting me straight. I just looked it up - Army Regulation 670-1 dated 10 April 2015.

I'm surprised that I haven't seen a discussion regarding the change in Holland America's Formal Night to Gala Night dress code and whether Princess is contemplating a change (relaxation of the rules?) as well. Yes, yes, I know - dress codes have been done to death :mad::mad:, but gosh, we do seem to love getting mad about it, don't we?? :confused:

Why would there be a discussion? It has nothing to due with Princess. :rolleyes:

From what I read on the HAL website their Gala Night isn't much different than the Princess Formal Night. It appears they have just changed the name to de-emphasize the word formal, and subsequently the first thought of the tuxedo/black tie and gown concept.

Princess takes lots of formal photos on these nights, and if they eliminate them it would most likely cut into their on board photo revenue.

From what I read on the HAL website their Gala Night isn't much different than the Princess Formal Night. It appears they have just changed the name to de-emphasize the word formal, and subsequently the first thought of the tuxedo/black tie and gown concept.

Princess takes lots of formal photos on these nights, and if they eliminate them it would most likely cut into their on board photo revenue.

HAL has actually removed the requirement for a jacket and tie. Quite the change for formal night.

Ah ha! Now that totally makes sense. So many people like to be remembered for their once or twice a year persona than what is their usual daily life. I love to see people dress up if that is what they enjoy but don't look down on the rest of us who prefer our holidays are casual because....well, that's how we enjoy them best.

Thanks for setting me straight. I just looked it up - Army Regulation 670-1 dated 10 April 2015.

No problem. Only reason I knew about the restriction is that many years ago I wore a military dress uniform to a civilian function that had no connection to the military. Somehow I found out that I wasn't supposed to do that. Don't know how I found out as I don't remember ever having somebody tell me I messed up, but I never forgot it. Of course, if that was the biggest mistake I ever made I'd be really happy but it isn't so...

Have a great cruise.

BTW, you did register for your military OBC didn't you? Not every cruise line offers that, but Princess is one that does.

Tom

HAL Details:

Q: Did HAL change their dress code?

A: Yes, some refinements were made to improve consistency and the policy now reads:

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants.

Q: Why the change from “Formal” To “Gala” night?

A: To many, the “Formal” term was misleading as it implies a specific type of dress (black tie or tuxedo) that has never been a requirement. “Gala” still implies festive or dressy without misleading guests to bring attire the majority of guests don’t wear.

Q: What about ladies’ gala attire?

A: Dressy attire is appropriate. Dresses, skirts, and slacks are all acceptable.

Q: Are a jacket and tie required for men?

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change.

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

Q: Can I wear shorts in the main dining room?

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

Princess Details:

Smart Casual

Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home. (That says it all succinctly)

Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

Interesting. Until I read the HAL policy, I would never have guessed they already allowed men into fine dining rooms without jacket & tie. I always thought HAL was more stuffy that way .. guess I am out-of-touch not interacting with any active HAL cruisers (but I do pick up a lot from the Princess board, mind you). I always thought we could try HAL sometime, and this is one more thing that makes them more approachable to me now.

I think it's cool to have a special night on the cruise, but BT & gowns are not us. But I sure don't mind at all if it's someone else's way to go!!

Edited by steelers36

Interesting. Until I read the HAL policy, I would never have guessed they already allowed men into fine dining rooms without jacket & tie. I always thought HAL was more stuffy that way .. guess I am out-of-touch not interacting with any active HAL cruisers (but I do pick up a lot from the Princess board, mind you). I always thought we could try HAL sometime, and this is one more thing that makes them more approachable to me now.

I think it's cool to have a special night on the cruise, but BT & gowns are not us. But I sure don't mind at all if it's someone else's way to go!!

I think it's only changed in the last two weeks. I'm shocked actually. They were far more formal than Princess. Even their specialty restaurants were formal on formal night whereas Princess is smart casual. Quite the shift.

Why must people fight traditions or try and get over on the system? Either conform and enjoy the evening, or go eat somewhere else and enjoy the evening for goodness sake. I don't know, but I assume most of the pushback on formal wear comes from men. I would venture that if these men played along, they would have some pretty darned happy wives. Works for me. I own two dinner jackets that I alternate with different accessories. It was a pretty cheap investment that gets used a couple times per year. I also occasionally break out the Army mess dress. I can tell you it contributes greatly to marital bliss. And sometimes it even feels good to just dress up fancy.

I agree.......