Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Do you know what Spins ..... that is a dilemna you are so close. So I reckon on the basis of fairness I ought to concede defeat! One point less for not being spot-on but close.

Let's review. :)

Cryptic Clue: If they broke the wicket during a delivery stride they might have qualified to live here.

We are looking for a person. If you google broke the wicket during a delivery stride you might come up with a "No Ball". So what type of person might this suggest? A eunuch perhaps? He has "no ball". Where does a eunuch live?

And the picture. An islamic carpet with an Ottoman window?

Answer: The Harem at Topkapi.

I hope this is justifiably crypticism. Hope you enjoyed it.

Jeff

Cryptic Clue: If they broke the wicket during a delivery stride they might have qualified to live here.

;)

Jeff

P1000737.jpg

Camera

DMC-FX7

Focal Length

5.8mm

Aperture

f/2.8

Exposure

1/250s

ISO

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Very lovely lunch Jeff.

It's Saturday here in south Florida.

Grey and temperature is 72.

Weekend lawn jockeys out doing yard work.

Machines were humming about 8 am.

After those brain exercises from you Jeff, I am exhausted.

There are so few functioning neurons left they are easily overtaxed.

Greetings Coolers!

We have just spent two days in Cairns, Australia. It gave a whole new meaning to the concept of a sweat box! Temperatures around 36 C and humidity at 88%. Walking just a few blocks from the ship left us bathed in sweat!

The first day in port we did the Kuranda Skyrail/Scenic Train trip. We had arranged it with a private tour company and we had to walk to Pullman International Hotel for our pick-up. Thankfully the tour bus came early and we were able to cool off in the air conditioned coach.

The Skyrail trip to Kuranda was broken into three segments (2 stops along the way). The first stop named Red Peak had a boardwalk through the rainforest. Here is a picture.

DSC01001_zpskretjlth.jpg

The second stop was named Barron Falls. Here is a picture of the falls.

DSC01023_zpsqe8obkt5.jpg

We are now sailing between the Great Barrier Reef and the east coast of Australia to Thursday Island.

Have a great day/evening all!

Loved Cairns, though I expect its very much different to when I was there. Think it was the Whitsunday's that was my favourite place.

Just returned from the London Cruise show. Was smaller than I expected. Not convinced it quite lived up to what I was hoping for..... and Silversea was probably the most disappointing. I just had one question to ask... which may have been a little too specific but didnt expect the lack of interest and answer. All I was trying to find out was if Silversea laid on a coach in the port of Livorno and where it went to. I was first told "yes to the city", then, "no we stop near te city so dont lay enything on". I left none the wiser though I expect they do but only as far as Piazza de Republica.

The reason for wanting to know is dependant on needing to book a taxi to train station or not, I will be either just taking the train, or prebooking a private trip departing from the ship to Florence so hence wanting to know in advance.

It wasant as if they were busy either. We were the only ones on the stand at the time. Ho Hum

Edited by les37b

Many of these shows are quite dissapointing, and I guess with the increase in the use of youtube, forums etc who really needs them? The industry needs them more than the punters!

Being bored i was watching a one hour programme about the Paul Gauguin and whilst it is clearly not a ship pr a cruise for us, what was impressive is the autonomy and passion the chef's have to get off the ship and buy local fish and food. The anxiety they had about ensuring that every port brought with it fresh excellent food I thought places some other lines that will remain nameless in poor light.

Excellent series on Netflix called "Cooked" if anyone is interested. More about foof preperation in society than about cooking but fascinating.

Lovely piccies M!

Spins, I am sure you will love meeting Soapy Gal, she will be extraordinary company. She a kind, thoughtful, fun, loyal, brave, determined, interesting and has some stories to tell that will keep you captivated I'm sure! ;)

So looking forward to Summer, The Balcony at Seaside, La Cucina here ..... and it isn't really too far from our Singapore trip and all that that will entail.

:)

Jeff

Les,

I will be in Livorno before you are. I was told there is a bus to Firenze and its about $79 us dollars round trip pp. The motorcoach drops you off about 15 minutes outside of Firenze and one must walk. I am debating taking a train to town from Livorno. My concern is that sometimes the trains are subject to strikes by locals, and at least with the bus arrangement I will have a definite plan.

My daughter lived in Firenze and I was fortunate to spend a good deal of time there. I am just looking to walk about, rekindle my ardor for the city and eat at a favorite restaurant. If I were looking to see the sights for the first time, I would probably go for the private car, although I wonder where they have to park, at least they may be able to drop you closer.

Jeff,

I am looking forward to meeting Sophia. The trip looms large on the near horizon.

I can understand your longing for the Summer. You are fortunate to have the seaside place!

Livorno......a mere taxi ride away form Pisa if that's your goal Les.......last time I was there l did the guided tour and hated it...but l did love Pisa and am keen to return....if only for the shops l missed!! [emoji6]

Florence seems such a long way....but one must decide...!

Spins....so looking forward to seeing you on board....and thank you Jeffers for those kind words.....

S [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Les,

Just an alternative idea for you to ponder.

Taxis are waiting a few feet away from the ship in Livorno, and for what it is worth my advice is to hire a taxi, but perhaps unlike others if you are also considering Pisa but not to interested in the shops, I suggest just half an hour in Pisa to take the obligatory photograph, whilst the taxi waits but then drive on and spend the bulk of your time available in Lucca, a delightful walled town with great walks. Simply haggle with a taxi driver for this trip. This is just another alternative to consider. I say this because Florence is an easy place to get to from the UK for a long weekend and may be a big bite for a short visit, but Lucca is a lovely place for a few hours and in my view a place worth going to. There is a wonderful Leonardo museum in Lucca with many of his inventions actually made in working order! Perhaps save Florence for a longer visit?

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Agree with Jeff that Lucca is wonderful.

So much to choose from.

Ship also offers tours to Lucca as well.

I know one may also retain a car service in advance of arrival.

May be a consideration to avoid worry at last minute especially because of limited time and those constraints.

I plan on using my cc cooler points.

I just need to find out where to exchange them for euros.

I guess a coach trip is tempting if free ... but it is likely to spend too much time in Pisa and too little time in Lucca if it takes in both. Personally apart from the picture of wifey propping up the tower I found Pisa a waste of time that we could have spent over a pasta lunch in Lucca. Pisa just seemed trash and trinkets.

Lucca was pretty and peaceful and nice not to be with a coach crowd - I just was not designed for charabancs!

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Pisa is fun if you can climb the tower. Hard to do unless you're in low season, because there's usually a few hours' wait to climb. We went on a ship's tour and talked to the guide, who told us where to break off from the group and go grab tickets. Hit or miss, depending on how busy it is.

It's pretty mind-bending to climb up the stairs (which are quite enclosed) while feeling the extreme tilt of the tower. It's a little disorienting, actually, but fun! But agree, not too much else to do.

We knew nothing about Lucca when we visited on a ship's tour years ago. We were enamored of the town and have wished we could go back ever since. Definitely worth the stop.

Florence...yet another city on our list to revisit. Too little time!

We cooked duck for dinner tonight. We've been away for the past few weekends so it was nice to be able to eat a nice meal at home for a change!

Tried a new recipe that had a spice rub (coriander, cumin, mustard powder, ancho chile, salt, and pepper) for the duck breasts. They were then pan-seared and served with a simple sauce of reduced balsamic vinegar, and blackberries that were cooked in the reduction. I kept some whole for a garnish, and mashed the rest into the sauce. It was so tasty.

Here are the cooked breasts, resting near the stove, waiting to be served:

upload_-1.jpg

And a few shots of the plated dish. I served it with a simple side of farro and some haricots verts:

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

Probably could have cooked them a touch less but they were nicely medium so tasty enough.

Tonight's wine pairing from our favorite Finger Lakes winery. I went to the top shelf for a reserve Cab Franc:

upload_-1.jpg

Sipping the last of the Cab Franc now, while the duck legs are braising in the oven for a duck ragu that we'll finish cooking tomorrow. I'm trying to decide whether to bother saving the liver to make a nice pate...hate to throw it out, but not sure I want to make the effort! Much easier to relax, plan trips, and sip wine!

Have a great evening all!

Edited by jpalbny

JP, I'm confused! :D

The only interesting thing to see in Pisa imho, is the tower. But if you climb the tower you cannot see the only decent thing to see in Pisa! Non?

:D

Jeff

Just a different perspective. Absolutely loved climbing up, because on one sde you were climbing stairs, but the tilt of the tower made it feel like you weren't gaining elevation at all. Then on the other side, the climb felt crazy steep!

Fun either way!

Edited by jpalbny

I think you are a health nut that likes to keep fit, partly because your day is filled with seeing unfit people. A situation made worst when you are on a cruise when the constant feeling of guilt because of the calories, compels you to ascend towers merely so you can descend the tower when the ascent has been completed.

Just a theory!

:D

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff