Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Don't leave it too late or the queues will be horrendous

It's $2.50 sunday on all transport with an Opal card. Big day put for families so the ferry is very popular, its usually around $15 return for an adult.

If the queue are huge go to the fast ferry counter, it's about $17 but no where near as popular (not part of the opal network)

Edited by MrsWaldo

Glad you arrived safely M. Enjoy the fish at Manly!

Mrs W .... I was rather hoping she'd be able to take the one I have a soft spot for ... Collaroy!

Piccy of todays Shanghai Pork which was lovely.

Jeff

ps .... if anyone is interested in the method or in trying it I took some staged piccies just to be really boring ... and I'm happy to,post them. I like to keep a record when trying something new! :D

C3097568-6CD7-4C71-82AE-31010D47F628.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Well, it's really changed over the last three years or so.

We use to stay at Grand Quay every year for 4 weeks or so on Circular Quay overlooking the ferries and apart from days when there was a surfing competition ( they use to put on an extra ferry) I never saw or encountered queues. If she does get on I hope she avoides going through the doors and sitting at the front. The number of people I've seen getting soaked.

M, don't be put off of going to Manly ... hopefully you will be fine.

Jeff

Jeff it's just Sunday's and it's only been for a few years

They have a special fare deal which lets you travel on all public transport for the whole day for $2.50. For a family to Manly that's a saving of at least $30. Because the ferry is the most expensive trip on the schedule it's the most popular quickly followed by the river cat up to Parramatta. The trains become quite crowded as wel. They won't run extra services as the discount was aimed at getting people to use public transport on weekends and make it cost effective

Not trying to put M off, just give a heads up, often the queues coming back can be worse as everyone is aiming to get home at the same time.

Mrs W...you were spot on! We started our day at the Chinese Garden of Friendship at around 10:15. It was beautiful! Next we went to Paddy's Market to see what that was all about. Much like the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul but without the smoke. We got on the Hop On Hop Off bus and made our way to Circular Quay arriving at about 12:00 pm. Went to Pier 3 for the Manly Ferry and ran into a solid wall of people! We backtracked to the Fast Ferry to Manly. We got on the next ferry available and arrived Manly at about 1:00 pm. This is where the story gets embarrassing for me.

J......I messed up! In my haste to leave the ship this morning I forgot the map I had dowloaded with the name and address of the suggested fish and chip place! Red face here!!!!!!! We went for a draft at Hotel Steyne Courtyard first and then I attempted to drag from memory. Unsuccessfully! We ended up getting a picnic meal (shrimp, calamari, a crab stick, fish and chips and headed to the beach to dine. The meal was good but I'm sure it was not as good as the place you suggested. Sorry to disappoint you after all your gracious help! Pictures will follow.

We took the ferry back at around 3:40 pm. We got on the Hop On Hop Off bus and got off at Darling Harbour where we got the ship shuttle bus back to White Bay arriving at 6:00 pm. We are now collapsed in our suite with no energy to go to dinner.

It was an awesome day (except for my big goof up)! Have a great day all!

Edited by mysty

You had perfect weather day

Well for an Aussie, even nasho. (Aka Royal national park) was filled to the brim and entry to some areas closed about 10am

Hopefully you are getting the wonderful sunset we have here..

Would be a perfect night in la terrazza..

Just finished a moules frites and Sancerre with a Ginger nut and orange cheesecake

Morning Coolers! Just pulling into Newcastle. We have a wine and cheese tour today.

Mrs W......There were oodles of couples on the ferry and walking about Manly. And we did enjoy the experience of having a picnic lunch!

Have a great day/evening all!

We did a cheese and wine tour to the Hunter Valley from Newcastle today. It was spectacular! We visited the Hunter Valley Cheese Company, Tyrrell's Wines, Saddler's Creek Winery and then Margan for lunch and a wine tasting.

Here is a picture of the cheese tasting.

DSC00891_zpslpedijxz.jpg

And here is a picture of Margan winery.

DSC00927_zpsaubl8dnc.jpg

For the foodies here are some pictures.

Draft beer at Hotel Steyne, Manly

DSC00885_zpsifly4dmo.jpg

Fish & chips picnic lunch - Manly

DSC00887_zpszucatblc.jpg

Beet root, goat's curd, rhubarb, cocoa and hazelnut salad - lunch at Margan winery in the Hunter Valley

DSC00937_zps60le1snf.jpg

Wagyu brisket, miso, eggplant, cauliflower and black sesame - lunch at Margan winery

DSC00938_zpszjoqptvz.jpg

OMG...

you have me crying with jealousy...

Margan's is awesome food, been eating there since the 90s when they were well out of the valley. We would divert their just to eat if we were heading further up. Some of the "white labels" are really good

We discovered Saddlers Creek in 1996 and have been a wine club member ever since. When they do a good marrowbone chardonnay it knocks your socks off. I guess you wouldn't have gotten to taste any of the equus?

The fish and chips do look a bit ordinary :(

mysty, your lunch at the winery looks divine. I bet you had a lovely day; we did a Hunter Valley tour many years ago, on our own in a hire car, and Australia was just beginning to have wonderful food. I am talking about 30 years ago, I realise! The fish and chips less photogenic, but I bet they tasted good.

Hope you are both continuing to have a marvellous time.

Lola

Echoing what others have said about Mysty's lovely pics......what a great adventure you're having!

Managed to get a free day off today so indulged with a very welcome massage this morning followed by a super Welsh breakfast at our local garden centre....makes all the difference to have somebody else cook!

Turning a tad chilly here now albeit the sun is shining!

S [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just catching up with mysty's great adventure, after a long weekend in Québec. It was frigid! Less than 20 below F at times, and the wind was just brutal on top of that. This morning was balmy, only -10F so we took the ferry across the frozen river to get a closer look. It was more interesting than driving over the bridges. My car looks like it's been stored in a salt mine, but we're home safely and if we ever have a day above freezing, I'll have to wash it.

Edited by jpalbny

I'm flying to Havana this weekend for 3 nights, then Grand Cayman for 3 nights and then I'm joining a ship called Serenissima for two weeks, sailing to southern Cuba, Great Inagua (Bahamas), two ports in Dominican Republic, BVIs, St Eustatius, St Barths, Nevis, Montserrat and finally Antigua where we spend a final week in the sunshine. I got all the final documents from our cruise line, Noble Caledonia, and it seems we have just 66 passengers and 8 expedition staff. Quite a change from the Cloud.

Edited by Fletcher

Sounds lovely, Fletcher. Come back and tell the coolers what you thought.

Lots of Noble Caledonia ads in the Times, usually two pages, with what seem to be all chartered trips, and on the pricy side. But interesting itineraries. They usually seem to include tours, and wine and beer with dinner but are not all-inclusive. They certainly do a great deal of newspaper advertising; presumably it is worth while for them.

66 passengers should be great if they are all fairly easy to get on with!

I'm flying to Havana this weekend for 3 nights, then Grand Cayman for 3 nights and then I'm joining a ship called Serenissima for two weeks, sailing to southern Cuba, Great Inagua (Bahamas), two ports in Dominican Republic, BVIs, St Eustatius, St Barths, Nevis, Montserrat and finally Antigua where we spend a final week in the sunshine. I got all the final documents from our cruise line, Noble Caledonia, and it seems we have just 66 passengers and 8 expedition staff. Quite a change from the Cloud.

Wonderful to hear of your impending adventure. I do so hope you enjoy it and take us with ... although I guess wifi might be a limiter.

Your mention of Cloud reminded me that Terry has rather rottenly dumped his friends here for his own stage and fame elsewhere. Too bleedin' good for us plebs!:D

I was thinking of you when he posted "picture proof" of how good the food was ;) I was speculating about your reaction to the slice of so called "Kansas" Prime Rib, the baked potato with sprig, and stewed veg, and the sponge muffin with mint sprig stuck in! Fine Dining hey ho ......! :)

Have a great adventure!

Jeff