Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Great shots of Cape Town. Making me feel like it's going to be difficult to wait another 9 months until we're there... Terry, keep on enjoying yourself!

tgh: Super pics Terry..keep it up. Perhaps a bit lost here as not everyone reads this thread. Suggest you start another thread where most folks will find it

spinnaker2: I think that the photos of cape town are dramatic.

Appreciate all of the interest and the nice photo comments. As the old saying goes' date=' "the best is yet to come". We've been so super busy enjoying Cape Town and nearby. Lots and lots more photos to share. Those Cape Town area visuals will really cause J.P. and others to want to reach this great area with much more intense desires.

Will be starting the official, more-detailed [b']"live/blog"[/b] either later today or tomorrow during our sea-day. Yes, the Silver Cloud has arrived!! You can see below using the key web source Jeff used to verify.

Glad things are going well with misty for Moorea, Papeete and Bora Bora.

Yes, Jeff, that reading was very interested with the orbituary of Michael Naylor-Leyland and he was a true "British eccentric".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 193,537 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Per the website "MarineTraffic.com", below is the position of the Silver Cloud (shown in blue) around 3 am today, Cape Town time at it is approaching the port/docking area. This visual map also shows some of the Somerset West and Stellenbosch Wineland areas that we visited on Sunday. Yesterday, we headed down to the Cape of Good Hope and traveled through certain locations shown such as Hout Bay, Fish Hoek and Muizenberg. Sound Dutch? Then you see their 7:45 am web position showing where the Silver Cloud (in blue) is now docking as we get ready for our boarding early afternoon.:

Africa2016PixsA30_zpsktmspqwd.jpg

Africa2016PixsA29_zpsxbdoprgd.jpg

From yesterday, here are a couple of quick views of the amazing and so super cute African Penguins at Boulder beach near by the Cape of Good Hope. First, is one penguin doing its walk from the water. Second is an up-close view for one of the penguins sitting on an egg on the beach.:

Africa2016PixsA22_zpsc84svmew.jpg

Africa2016PixsA21_zpse8p9cuol.jpg

From visiting Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens yesterday afternoon, here is just one quick example of both flower and bird action. Our guide told us the bird name, but I cannot recall right now. Any help on the specific bird name?:

Africa2016PixsA31_zpsth8v9msc.jpg

Last night, we had dinner at Gold for a variety of African dining tastes, plus lots of fun music and dancing. You can see my wife after a little face painting has been done. More pictures to follow. Others been there?:

Africa2016PixsA19_zpsyr2baj6j.jpg

Another grey morning here .... we share your temperature here JP and hope for a morning walk. Jeff

In Cape Town right now, the skies are perfectly clear and sunny. Things are look great!! The heat and humidity have dropped down nicely after Sunday being rather warm near 90F.

Sunday, we were busy in visiting:

Vergelegen, old early Dutch settler/supplier's historic wine estate in Somerset West.

Stellenbosch, the cute town in the center of this wine region

Stark-Conde, that had an interesting pond and castle above the vineyards.

Dustenberg, with its cows & gardens, plus wine and historic architecture

Lunch at Delaire—Graff that has been super upgraded since a rich German-UK jewelry store owner took over.

Boschendal, the original Cecil Rhodes fruit farms

La Motte, near Franschhoek

Grande Provence, for tea & art

Mandela's last prison location before his release

And at Paarl for Grand Roche, the elegant, top dining location and wine estate.

Any others been to any of these various wine locations? What are your favorites from visiting here?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 35,603 views for these postings.

From our Sunday visit to Winelands, here are a few visual samples, including, in the first picture shown, at Grande Roche, where we concluded the busy day. Second and third are two of our lunch dining treats at the ultra lux Delaire—Graff wine estate. Fourth is one of the scenic mountain views while visiting in this wine area east of Cape Town. Finally, are two views at Vergelegen, the estate of the old early Dutch settler/supplier and early Governor of the Cape, Willem Adriaan van der Stel. This includes my wife and super guide Glen Christie in front of the historic Camphor trees on this estate.:

Africa2016PixsA26_zps1ltvbvdg.jpg

Africa2016PixsA24_zps6pfzriig.jpg

Africa2016PixsA25_zpsbowwfspx.jpg

Africa2016PixsA23_zpscwr4s5vn.jpg

Africa2016PixsA27_zpsbisv7vxx.jpg

Africa2016PixsA28_zpsjcfhiolb.jpg

I get daily email updates for the cloud and the wind, so saw the cloud had arrived in Cape Town. Glad to hear its going well Terry and look forward to the blog.

At work at the moment - so not able to view the photos (imageshack and alike are blocked) so will have to wait until I'm at home to enjoy your photos.

Have fun!

Thanks Mary ... much appreciated. Plain simple cooking. :)

Soapy Girl has asked me to pass on her best wishes to all her cooler friends and she apologises for her current absence.

She mentioned her dad isn't in good shape earlier, and he has just been admitted to hospital and it sounds serious. I'm sure all coolers thoughts and best wishes are with her at this difficult time.

Jeff

Once again the swells have prevented us from going ashore on Rarotonga, Cook Islands. We are a wee bit disappointed, however safety must come first.

Here is a sad little picture of the island. Sorry about the quality as I was shooting into the sun.

DSC00602_zpslniurylb.jpg

Sophia....our thoughts are with you and your family!

Morning Coolers! Partly cloudy this early morn but it is warm! :)

J......In the grand scheme of things, missing a few ports out of the 51 on the itinerary is not making any dent in our joy and enjoyment. :) Myster and I are getting the opportunity of a lifetime to see the wonders of the world and to spend time together. The rest is gravy!

Have a great day all!

That looks scrumptious J! Yummy, yummy! We are due to arrive in Tauranga, New Zealand on February 7. We will lose February 4 as we cross the International Dateline. We have 3 sea days ahead, counting today. I'll see what I can come up with for food pics. :)

Hello all! I've been lurking here for awhile, trying to soak in all of your advice! We leave on our first SS cruise on the Wind in a month. We love cruising and have been on 15 or so, primarily on the larger lines. But after getting a taste of European river cruising, we've come to enjoy the smaller ships.

The butler concept is new to us (though looking forward to it). My question is about in-room dining. We have booked several nights in the specialty restaurants and always enjoy dining in the main restaurants. We've never tried dining in the room for dinner. How is it done on SS?

Liz,

Welcome.

You can order off the room service menu or the main dining room menu.

You can have it served all at once or course by course.

The breakfast menu is left in your suite at turn down.

Just check off want you want...or write it in. Hang it outside your door before 2 am, I think.

For special requests, you will need 48 hours notice.

I knew I came to the right place - thank you!

If you order dinner course by course - how do they set it up? Do they bring a table, or is there a way to serve it in the suite?

We've often ordered breakfast for the room, but have never tried dinner. We thought it might be romantic one night!

I knew I came to the right place - thank you!

If you order dinner course by course - how do they set it up? Do they bring a table, or is there a way to serve it in the suite?

We've often ordered breakfast for the room, but have never tried dinner. We thought it might be romantic one night!

Welcome to the cooler. We've done dinner in our suite aboard the Cloud and Wind. They have a smallish rectangular table top that fits over the round glass top of the coffee table to make it a usable size for dining. Its stored behind your sofa when not in use. Then a tablecloth is placed over that to make it look pretty.

We've requested specific wine with our meals and they've always found a nice bottle for us.

We don't do in room dining all that much but it's always been pleasant.

Liz

On the Spirit there is a tabletop stored inbetween the living and sleeping spaces if you are in a verandah.

It fits perfectly on the oval table in front of the couch.

The butler will prepare all the napery, silver and crystal just as if you were dining in the MDR.

You may also eat outside on the verandah.

If you are in a silver suite or higher, there is a dining table in the suite with chairs.

Last cruise which was a crossing, we ate in our room quote often.

It was lovely. Quiet, romantic yes!

Liz,

Can I add my welcome to you on your first cooler post.

Just to add the observation that if you plan a day or two ahead you could specify something you fancy. For example perhaps a fish course followed by a large shared sea food platter on the verandah with a bottle of frozen champagne or sauvignon in an ice bucket might be a lovely leisurely way to spend a relaxed evening on your own.

Don't be stranger ...... do join in the chat.

:)

Jeff

Great food talk and pictures, thanks.

Query, can someone please advise how you go about requesting something special when you dine at a restaurant on board - we asked for lobster to grill at Hot Rocks (we asked a day before we dined there) but were told we couldn't have it when we arrived. (This was about 14 months ago.)

I've read of people requesting banquets to be prepared and we couldn't get a simple lobster tail.

Any tips, advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Karin

Karin, Im surprised at that. It wasn't exactly asking for something they must have on board! Funnily I asked the same thing a couple of weeks ago as our next trip we celebrate 20 years in a ball and chain! I actually contacted guest services here in London who in turn contacted head office in Fort Lauderdale. Not heard back yet... But as everyone has said, just ask your butler when on board.

Meanwhile..... In Port Elizabeth a silver cloud has arrived......

I have been following the cooler since day 1 and although I don't contribute often, I do feel I know the regulars. I'm so sorry Sophie is going through a tough time. Please let her know people all over the world are thinking of her.