Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

PS......TTS.....love the new pup.....did you lose the old one?

Yes. He died on 22 Feb of heart failure. It was very peaceful for him - he remained healthy, happy and continent right to his last minute. A big loss to us.

But the new little fella is showing himself to be a little gem. 11 weeks old today, house-trained, responds to sit, stay, down, bed, come and heel. Even better he pees and poos on command (which is essential when travelling). I get the feeling we've got another good one here.

We did the theatre at Taormina ... And a 360 lesorama.. Need to sort out an upload. Unfortunately Vodafone appear to have cut me off and using ships wifi. Not sure what the problem is. I ported my number a few days before we left and all seems fine. However on the phone the number showing is for the old number. So may be a porting thing... (with a number I've had for 22 years!).... Or maybe a bill thing. I have unlimited data when roaming... However though not being used, im concerned the "smart phone" decided to download something at sea. I was told that was impossible as its calls only no data when at sea.

In the meantime.... I mentioned the banging to one of the ships staff... Who claims he had no idea what it was. But a few hours later and after newd we were expecting gale force 7-8 ... And got moved to a midship veranda on deck 6.

We slept in 638 last night. No banging noises.... But boy did the ship rock! I went back down to the old room and I think its certainly not as rocky down there. Things were falling about in the new suite but everything seemed ok in the old.

Will try to upload the anniversary cake they gave us.... And the gorgeous beef wellington.

Nice panorama shots Les! Hope they figure out the noise issue. And you can fix your phone issue.

Phone can't be fixed until I get home. I just have a nasty feeling I've hit a huge bill and pulled the plug. You would have thought they would text to say that. Our big concern (other than not being contactable) is our arrangements for athens. Thank heavens for whatsapp and wifi.. We've booked a taxi, tour for 90 ins in Athens, walkabout for 4 or 5 hours and forward to the airport. The driver is a friend of a friend.... And looking after our luggage when on our walk about. We were thinking of booking a hotel but needing a room available early and no phone it was a hopeless task.

They are saying they've no idea what the noise is. Im sure I remember Terry saying he got moved from our suite on the cloud... Though it may have been something different.

Only 2 nights to go.... But 2 nights more than the sizzling pig! lol

Edited by les37b

Wir lieben die Schweinshaxen!

We shated an absolutely delicious one at the Fruhlingsfest Monday night in Munich. Even though it's 8am here I am now craving the one that you posted. So unfair! And we are now on our post-cruise intake reduction plan... Das ist nicht richtung!

Edited by jpalbny

Hi JP,

I've never cooked it at home before because no one sells the knuckles. But less than half a mile away is a farm shop selling local pork and they have them. We're so pleased. I ignored all instructions of cooking to 200 and cooked the stelze to an inside temperature of 180 ..... next time 170. It was sublime. The crackling was around 80% crisp crackling with just the small layer of soft pork fat underneath. No carbs today just braised sweet red cabbage and the pork with a Paulaner gravy, some hot horseradish and some Paulaner to drink.

First day in La Cuccina of the season and I bought two very large candle holders this morning.

Jeff

682DCFEA-53E5-479D-A4AE-3B30FD1A814D.jpg

F9B6D163-88D8-456A-A338-3F4E77AB5C5B.jpg

We lived in Nordrhein-Westfalen for 11 years where we came across Schweinhaxe from time to time. The first time was a no choice moment because we were at the home of a senior German colleague whose OH (a lady from Bayern) presented us with this dish with great pride and ceremony. It looked revolting, to be honest. Anyway, it was delicious; absolutely scrummy. It was served with Spaetzle which is blander than a bland thing from blandville.

OH has never cooked it nor would any amount of wheedling persuade her to do so - not because she doesn't like it (although she doesn't, much); she just baulks at the idea.

Pig meat and potatoes with plenty of asparagus in season (Spargelzeit) - that seemed to be the staple in NRW.

Edited by Tothesunset

It really is the simplest thing to cook and much better than any I have eaten anywhere inAustria or Germany on my first go. Beg your other half to have a go.

I simple quartered a few onions, even left the skin on, and put them in a pan to act as a trivet. I put the knuckle on top and filled the bottom with Paulaner until it covered the onion. I cut the skin in lines, and rubbed it with oil, then salt and put it in the fan oven at around170. Left it in for around two and a half hours, topping up the beer every so often. I turned up the heat and cooked it until the crackling looked the right colour around thirty minutes. It was done. How much easier could it be?

I'd make a dumpling next time although wifey wants a plain potato salad and a slaw.

Do try. We're already thinking about the next one.

Jeff

You guys are killing me! First the Schweinshaxen cooked in beer, then the Spargel? And now you have to talk about potato salad, cabbage, and dumplings?

BTW, Spätzle are delicious when buttered, and they are a perfect medium to soak up all of the delicious sauce from whatever main course you're eating. Or better yet, Käsespätzle!

I am drooling with all this food talk and I am bummed that we're not in Germany anymore. We were happily eating all of this good food just a few days ago. And to add insult to injury, we are stuck eating yogurt for lunch today. All this just to try to keep fitting into our clothes! :mad:

Edited by jpalbny

I feel your pain JP :D

I must admit, I know they're pretty much identical but I like to boil gnochi then let them dry a little and fry them in butter and oil and sprinkled with course grain sea salt for that bit of salty crunch. That would be nice with the stelze.

The beer and onion remnants made the base of a lovely gravy. There was only a little but I added some veg stock and a knob of butter.

EDITED: A few years back I split some fresh horseradish and planted them in the garden, and I'm hoping to find some next time I do this. I wish you could buy fresh horseradish more easily in the UK.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

It really is the simplest thing to cook and much better than any I have eaten anywhere inAustria or Germany on my first go. Beg your other half to have a go.

Not a chance. You have no idea the depth of the poo I would be in if I had an opinion or request on a food-related matter!

The fresh stuff is awesome. Bought a root a few years back and couldn't grate it by hand, as it was too strong. Just bending over the grater, our faces were too close to the fresh stuff and our eyes were watering! So I chopped it in the food processor and packed it in jars. It lasted forever.

Chris loves the stuff. I do too but she can tolerate it better than I can. Funny how that works...but I can eat hot peppers that she won't touch.

Edited by jpalbny

After my last post I went on line and ordered 15 thongs. I'm hoping to clear an area that is wild and plant them there and let them run riot! May have to wait until winter for the first lot, but I'm really looking forward to it.

I use to live and work in Cambridgeshire and kept a spade in my boot. The number of times I nearly crashed because I was looking at the verges rather than the road.

I have a feeling the area I need to clear is going to be my undoing as it's full of brambles and god didn't build me for physical exertion. Still a lifetimes supply of fresh horseradish is a motivator! :)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Lovely BBC programme this evening for the Queen's 90th birthday. I wasn't optimistic, but what a gem it was. Full of previously unseen private footage of the family, with the Queen and the rest of the royal family watching it and talking about it.

Lovely. :)

Jeff

I too enjoyed that programme. There is quite a palpable shift in the Royal approach to the media with Charles obviously calling all the shots. I was struck by how Andrew and Edward are being airbrushed out (and a good thing, too) and I was pleasantly surprised by how much airtime Sarah Chatto received. A lovely, bright woman.

I am not enjoying Britain's Treasure Islands, a trawl around the British Overseas Territories - that kind of cosy nature show with a smug presenter in just about every shot just doesn't cut the mustard these days.

Mm tasty! We still haven't gone grocery shopping since we arrived home, so it was take out Chinese food for dinner yesterday. As a bonus we have leftovers for lunch today. No kofta for us... :(

Hoping to get to the grocery store tonight before we get too hungry!

Have been spending some time on my blog about this past trip. Slow progress. When I wake up more, it should get easier.

Thanks JP,

I bet you and Chris cannot wait to get back to some serious cooking.

I'm so much looking forward to summer and some lovely leisurely lunches.

I don't know what experience you have of real English cider, but today I bought some lovely cloudy still dry very strong cider and this afternoon I slept some of it off.

:)

Jeff

:eek::eek::eek:

Having had a congenial lunch with The Queen and The Duke, Obama tells the British people that they will be at the end of the queue when it comes to trade deals with the US if they vote to leave the EU.

Do I hear a backfire?

:confused:

Jeff

Greetings Coolers! Hope everyone is doing well! Food pictures are awesome J! Looking forward to reading your blog JP! Hope all those on ships currently are enjoying themselves!

We spent Thursday and Friday in Israel. I was a little nervous about being there because of the bus that had been bombed in the Jerusalem area a couple of days ahead of our visit. I need not have worried. Israel is a beautiful country and we loved our time there. Security is definitely tight and very visible.

On Thursday we took the Day in Jerusalem tour from Ashdod. Here is a picture from King David's Tomb.

DSC04072_zpscbktx7hz.jpg

On Friday we took the Acre and Crusaders' Kingdom tour from Haifa. Here is a picture taken on our 2.5 hour walking tour through the old city area of Acre.

DSC04187_zpsmlp1yfyj.jpg

Have a great day/evening all!