Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

If there are any Canadian Coolers who are or have loved ones who are affected by the fires my thoughts and prayers are with you. As an Aussie I am well aware of the damage and devastation caused by fire. I personally have been affected and my heart goes out to you.

I originally wanted a smaller and lighter camera than Old Faithful Betsy. I suggest that there are options for great pictures without necessarily using a DSLR. However, anyone interested in a new camera really needs to do a "test drive" to determine what will give them the kind of image they want to end up with.

UKCruiseJeff: And simply for the sake of completelness this is why as an ex dslr owner (a new Sony and unused kit) who has gone the quality compact route and why I am totally sold on having a decent (expensive) point and shoot that fits in the pocket.

Fletcher: I am a very parsimonious photographer' date='[/b'] a hangover perhaps from the 35mm film days - on a major trip I'll still take only about 400-500 shots.

jpalbny: I am decidedly not a fan of changing lenses on my DSLR. It takes too long and lets dust in. So I am much happier to spend about $500 on a decent-range all-purpose lens such as an 18-250 lens. Remember almost all low cost DSLRs have a small sensor which makes the lens deliver more of an effective zoom than its rating. So an 18-200 is effectively a 27-300. It increases the zoom by a factor of about 1.5. Browse Amazon and B&H Photo for some ideas on pricing. One money saving tip - consider a knock-off lens such as Sigma or Tamron. They cost about half to 2/3 of what a Nikon lens does and compatibility is quite good. I'm a cheapo so I only use Sigma' date=' and have for 10 years. [/quote']

As wisely note by mysty and the others that I have quoted/highlighted above, there are many, many very good to excellent options to consider. There is no one, exact, right or wrong answer!!

Remember this long-standing phrase: One size does not fit all??!! It's especially true regarding cameras. You need to consider YOUR uses, personal style, interests, size/type of photos needed, etc. No one, yet, has mentioned the newer "mirror-less cameras" that are getting high ratings and consideration. These lighter cameras are worth considering, maybe!!

On J.P.'s comments, we had been warned on dust challenges, but that did not happen to be a problem for us during our four weeks of travels in southern Africa earlier this year. Changing lenses was not a big problem for me. Much depends on your camera bag set-up, your personal way in doing photography, etc. I have a a 10-20mm Sigma wide angle that is great for church and building interiors, etc. That lens is of excellent quality and has worked well for my needs, even if not a Nikon product.

Fletcher outlined a very different way in approaching his photographic efforts through the number of photo shots that he takes. He gets super excellent results! My approach, however, is very different in the number of pictures that I will take. Each method/approach can work very well and yield some nice results.

KEY POINT?: Get better equipment! Things technically have really improved in recent years and that can help significantly your creativity and improve visual results dramatically. Do not get too distracted by too much "technical talk". The biggest mistake would be in "doing nothing" and/or delaying. Keep asking good questions and sharing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 141,981 views for this posting.

I think I will eventually move to the mirrorless camera system. I've looked at them for a few years. So far, the issue (for me) has been the lens options. I like a decent zoom (200mm or more), and they are beaucoup $$! Plus, adding a big lens to a smaller camera defeats the purpose somewhat. It might work if I rethink my priorities. Not there yet...

Maybe I need two cameras. A mirrorless with 24-120 or thereabouts would be a nice compact vacation camera that would do most of what I want, and would take better pics than the cheap p&s that I have now. It's ok but I'm getting less enthralled with the picture quality over time. Then I could bring the DSLR when I need big zoom power. Hm...

Edited by jpalbny

If there are any Canadian Coolers who are or have loved ones who are affected by the fires my thoughts and prayers are with you. As an Aussie I am well aware of the damage and devastation caused by fire. I personally have been affected and my heart goes out to you.

Lovely thoughts Joc...it's such an awful time for those affected in Canada...

Sophia [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like a decent zoom (200mm or more), and they are beaucoup $$! Plus, adding a big lens to a smaller camera defeats the purpose somewhat.

In my view, and that of every camera magazine, people should avoid buying the so-called SuperZooms - 28-300mm for instance - as they offer terrible distortions.

Sadly not so hot in Shrewsbury - thick cloud all day - our micro climate strikes again. Being in the lee of the Welsh hills seems to do it.

Six weeks today we get on the Whisper yeeeeeeehiiiiiiii

Mary

Really strange Mary...it's been cloudy here in Wales... Yet l was over in Ellesmere this morning and it was beautifully warm and sunny!

Glad to hear Cruise Fever setting in for your forthcoming voyage.....[emoji6]

S[emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In my view, and that of every camera magazine, people should avoid buying the so-called SuperZooms - 28-300mm for instance - as they offer terrible distortions.

Can't disagree; my Sigma 18-250 isn't perfect...but it works well enough for me. I don't print or do post-processing and my photos are only looked at on-screen, so the imperfections are minor enough. Though I love taking pictures, I'm not willing to fork over more for a better quality lens. The 100-400 that I have is awesome but I didn't buy it (and when I saw the cost, I reaffirmed that sentiment).

Edited by jpalbny

Good afternoon all ...... a lovely hot day here in the UK. Hope the fires stop soon in Canada .... Jeff

specialcruisegirl: Originally Posted by Joc123: "As an Aussie I am well aware of the damage and devastation caused by fire. I personally have been affected and my heart goes out to you."

Lovely thoughts Joc...it's such an awful time for those affected in Canada.

Sorry until this afternoon that I had not really focused on these fires in Canada. Saw some of the footage on TV today' date=' plus then checked for exactly where this is happening. [b']WOW![/b] Serious dangers, plus Fort McMurray/Alberta is a town that is at a significant distance from many major services, safety forces locations, etc.

Weather right now in Central Ohio is a perfect sunny and 68F or 20C. What could be better right now than sitting on our screened porch with nice ravine views, etc.??

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 197,910 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

my Sigma 18-250 isn't perfect...but it works well enough for me. I don't print or do post-processing and my photos are only looked at on-screen, so the imperfections are minor enough.

Fletcher: In my view' date=' and that of every camera magazine, people should avoid buying the so-called SuperZooms - 28-300mm for instance - as they offer terrible distortions. [/quote']

jpalbny: I like a decent zoom (200mm or more)' date=' and they are beaucoup $$! Plus, adding a big lens to a smaller camera defeats the purpose somewhat. [/quote']

As noted above, there are various, serious pro/con questions and trade-offs with certain types of longer zoom lenses. These "super-zoom" have gotten better and lighter. Some are of better quality, but others are not so much so what might be acceptable. As J.P. noted, much depends on the desired uses and level of "quality" needed. Personally, I got a Nikkor 18-140mm zoom when I bought my Nikon D7100 a little over two years ago. That lens has worked very well and given me a nice combination of quality, speed and range.

KOSOVO?: Know where it is located and that it is in the Balkans? It has only been a country since 2008. Anyone been there? Its creation did not make some of its neighbors very happy, especially folks in Serbia. A group of government and media leaders from Kosovo were visiting Columbus this week and I set-up a couple of meetings for them. This including doing a tour at the local NBC-TV station in Central Ohio. See the pictures below. It's always interesting to meet and talking with these various international visitors. Adding to the interest was that about a year and a half ago we had two Parliament members from Serbia staying at our home during their visit to our state. That gave us keen insights and details about the "tensions" that still remain in the Balkans among the various groups, religions, peoples, etc.

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 28,769 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Where's Kosovo? The below map shows where it is located as shown by the medium blue area in the middle of this web map. One of the group members is touring the television news studios and is talking with their weather forecaster, testing out the technology, etc. In the second picture, the long-time station news anchor was answer their questions about public records, open meeting, etc.:

April2016Pis1%202_zpsj1kyrmyc.jpg

April2016Pis2%201_zpsmpxyuxut.jpg

April2016Pis1%201_zps2s0nfyal.jpg

I must stop drinking late at night. I could have sworn he said Costco.

:)

In the Balkans? Lol! No worries - have another one for me. On-call tonight and can't have it myself...

Edited by jpalbny

Wonderful record Jeff. Makes us of a "certain age". Memories as I did my final teaching practice in Balham. Not gentrified then!! Also at college in Tooting, home of our new London Mayor.

Two nice versions for you ..... the Peter Sellers and the spoof film!

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

61F here today and yep we still have the thick clouds - it was actually 65F when I went outside to feed the birds early this morning.

Yes S although Ellesmere is only 20 miles away it seems we live in a different country! Mother always complained to me about how bad the weather was here but the 60's always seemed attractive to me when we were sweltering in the upper 80's with 99% humidity. Can't say it's attractive to me now I'm stuck here!

Oh well off to assemble clothes for trip!

Mary

From the London/UK Daily Mail yesterday, they have this interesting headline: "Venice to install giant aerosols that spray 'seagull repellent' in St Mark's Square".

Here are some of the story highlights: "Officials in Venice are set to install giant aerosol devices to deter hundreds of highly aggressive seagulls that are attacking tourists and locals and swooping in to steal food from restaurant tables. The brazen birds have become so menacing that waiters in popular St Mark's Square are now forced to place covers over food before carrying it to their customers. There have also been numerous incidents of greedy gulls - which have a wingspan of up to four feet - nose-diving tourists to snatch food from their hands."

This story also notes that previously they had tried playing recordings of falcon calls last summer and flew remote-controlled falcon-shaped balloons, Both efforts, however, had failed. They will use a company that has developed a "seagull repellent" to be diffused throughout the square to keep the birds at bay. Their "system" supposedly works by releasing an aerosol of oils into the air. They say that the oils are not harmful to humans but birds don't like them. Will this work and also reduce the birds' desire to reproduce, as claimed and hoped? Will the number of seagulls and pigeons will fall?

Venice is one of my top, all-time favorite locations in the world. Such great history, architecture, character, style, etc. Too many tourists, however, during the main parts of most days. Look forward to hearing from cruise visitors this summer doing reports as to how this new system works . . . or NOT??!!

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3576841/Venice-install-giant-aerosol-sprays-stop-hundreds-menacing-seagulls-attacking-tourists-stealing-food.html

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 59,538 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Washing-the-car-and-finding-the-integral-front-foglight-glass-smashed weather here. £20 for a new unit from ebay and an afternoon of spanners, skinned knuckles and profanity sometime in the coming week. Or take it to the garage and get royally ripped-off. At least it's the Ford and while their prices for parts and labour are just a bit naughty had it been the other car I'd now be whimpering inconsolably in the corner.

Helga went in for it's service three days ago.

Her brake fluid needed replacing on this service and it should have been straightforward but unluckily her nipples had seized. I am told they needed to bleed her. Poor girl. So in trying to remove her nipples the engineer had to drill them out. This resulted in them needing to replace her callipers which I didn't know she had.

She had also been a bit shy recently and been unwilling to get her top off in sunny weather because the battery was not willing to allocate itself to this task. I was a bit surprised to be told that my car had two batteries, one in the front and one in the boot and they needed replacing.

So this mistress of mine, Helga, ("She who must be obeyed") has become an expensive old girl but she has come back today all clean and purring with new nipples, callipers, two new heart transplants and it is just the credit card that is unhappy.

Jeff