Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Jeff I may be looking at another discounter, but what I saw made it look like the cruises were discounted but when you compared with silversea fares they weren't discounts at all.

I agree with you about the posture of silversea management or terrible lack thereof and seeming nonchalant bordering on completely unprofessional treatment of their customers.

Jeff I may be looking at another discounter, but what I saw made it look like the cruises were discounted but when you compared with silversea fares they weren't discounts at all.

I agree with you about the posture of silversea management or terrible lack thereof and seeming nonchalant bordering on completely unprofessional treatment of their customers.

The link I posted previously most certainly were discounted prices which put forward the argument in respect of the ambiguous final price warranty.

Someone posted they tried to enquire but was told the one they wanted was sold out. So I emailed using their enquiry form and was answered almost imediately with confirmed cruise only prices which were 50% less that it WAS STILL BEING SHOWN on SS and offered a choice of balcony suites to choose from.

I did post the confirmed details but all reference to the discounter was removed. (Which is crazy until you appreciate the site earns referrals and promotes within.)

I've decided for next year to take that route and hopefully blag a bargain with SS, Seaborne, Regent, Oceana, Azamara or any of the others who use them to clear cabins.

It was noticeable that some of the discounts they were claiming were imaginary as youve said. (Ie starting price shown being way out) but it's not difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Meanwhile avoiding VAT on EU only cruises for Brits is another reason to be voting out out out. (So we can claim any tax back and enjoy duty free once more)

Les,

When you posted that link weeks ago, or was it months ago, I did go on the site and there were cruises with the actual discount.

However when I recently went back to that site after Jeff's post, and did the comparison, there weren't any discounts.

I don't know what happened.

Perhaps I need to fill out the enquiry form?

The rules on cruise critic prohibit naming any travel agency or agent so undoubtedly that's why your posts were removed.

I don't understand why some TA's can offer such huge discounts, but I am convinced it does happen.I believe the mini cruise I was just on was heavily discounted. I was told by reputable source that the cruise was fairly empty just a few weeks prior to the voyage. Then it filled quickly.

When you try to get the discount thru that TA I hope you will let us know if it works.

Les,

When you posted that link weeks ago, or was it months ago, I did go on the site and there were cruises with the actual discount.

However when I recently went back to that site after Jeff's post, and did the comparison, there weren't any discounts.

I don't know what happened.

Perhaps I need to fill out the enquiry form?

The rules on cruise critic prohibit naming any travel agency or agent so undoubtedly that's why your posts were removed.

I don't understand why some TA's can offer such huge discounts, but I am convinced it does happen.I believe the mini cruise I was just on was heavily discounted. I was told by reputable source that the cruise was fairly empty just a few weeks prior to the voyage. Then it filled quickly.

When you try to get the discount thru that TA I hope you will let us know if it works.

I logged back in to post that I'd seen that they have put a blanket "50"% off all prices. Its a big fat lie this time. They are actually more expensive than the prices shown on Silversea.

I did email them and have just got a reply. He's trying to say they would be a 50% discount on the original brochure price.

I've emailed back stating they dont put their prices in any brochure and the price online is the price it is - its never been higher.

I said (of the Tower Bridge cruise I enquired) that I would be interested at 50% off, but not at 105%

I doubt I will get a response. Its out of order though what theyve done. About a month ago they NEVER used to list silversea original prices - and just showed them as - for the discount. (Apart from the ones they really did get with big discounts.)

No wonder they can boast 82% discounts...... They make up their own prices to suit!

Les,

I'm afraid on this one I disagree with you and think it a little harsh to call it a "big fat lie" if it is a blanket 50% off SS's full brochure price list. To me that is a reasonable base point to base the base discount on as any other prices move on a day to day basis, and it is what I expect it to mean. I always take such claims with a "pinch of salt" and as probably meaning the maximum price it has been offered at. It doesn't imply to me that the discount is unique to that site or that it isn't available on all or some sources at comparable prices or indeed that it is even a "good deal" that cannot be bettered.

You say "they make up their own prices to suit!!" but the original brochure prices are not "made up" prices by the agent, but they are SS's original list prices some of which are still probably current. Most people start with a cruise in mind and then see where they can source it safely to their best advantage. I think it unreasonable that you expect them to mean that they have discounted an already 50% price you currently see by a further 50%. If they say 82% discount, and I have the brochure available I think I know roughly what they mean and I do not think for a moment it is for example 82% off of a current 50% discount for example ie it is being sold at 9% of the original brochure price. That expectation to me seems a bit naive and wishful thinking! ;)

I suspect that in their list their are some bargains if we had the time to check all 500+.

:)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Jeff,

Calling it a big fat lie may be extreme, but if a product is actually never sold at the list/brochure price, it is questionable. To me, it's kind of like the furniture companies that advertise 50% off when the product, when it's not on sale, regularly goes for 40% off.

I'm still in Rhodes and leave tomorrow. It's not a place I want to return to. It's a rather downmarket place and we took a look yesterday at the main hotel strip - a row of ghastly high-rise hotels overlooking a simply awful beach of builder's scree which is permanently wind blown. Inside the Old Town it's a one vast tourist trap with one or two decent but overpriced tavernas. There were four cruise ships in town the other day so we took a day trip to the nearby island of Symi which I hadn't ever heard of until Rick Stein based a TV show there. It was simply one of the most gorgeous places I've ever seen.

IMG_5390_zpsxh8b30ru.jpg

Yesterday we went up to Lindos. This was another tourist trap village though we did have a fine lunch. We also walked up to the ancient Acropolis to see the Greek ruins which I first saw in the movie The Guns of Navarone. They have been restored of late and I really disapprove of the way it has been done. Not so much a restoration as a complete rebuild so everything looks brand new. This does nothing for history but everything for mass tourism and I can't understand why UNESCO allows it to happen.

By the way, everyone we meet asks about the EU Referendum. We say we haven't a clue what will happen. Does anyone? Here's a shot of a big EU building in Rhodes which I thought sums things up quite nicely. Sorry about the language . . .

IMG_5496_zpsdlcnuun1.jpg

Edited by Fletcher

Thanks for the lovely picture of Symi, Fletcher. We anchored off and had an easy tender in last year, from a Seabourn ship. I don't think many cruise ships stop there (thank goodness) and it is truly exactly what a small Mediterranean island should be like in our imaginations. Some people do not like Rick Stein and his programmes, I find them delightful.

EU infighting is getting more and more unpleasant; I wish they would all just shut up and someone would give us genuine facts, if it possible to unravel them.

Lola

Fletch, lovely pictures of Symi. Really sorry to hear that Rhodes was such a dissapointment. This week I've received several decent offers for trips to Rhodes and I must admit I'd been thinking. Hope you tell us about the decent food you ate.

Lola, for what it is worth, you might not be able to learn much about exit or remain but one thing I can tell you for sure that you can learn a lot about the integrity of the people. If they tell you that anything they say is a "fact" then they are being untruthful. No one knows what will happen exactly either way. They can only put their shine on whatever it is they want you to "believe".

For my part I am more content with the uncertainty of leaving than I am about the "certainties" of what remaining means to us. I thought the Paxman programme caught the tone of how hopeless it all is.

Jeff

Hi Mark,

If it had never been offered at the price I'd agree. But it has been and I have no doubt offered and bought at the list prices.

All the best,

Jeff

Jeff, where are you seeing prices that are 100% more than SS show on their website?

It reminds me of Sports Direct! I'm not sure which company is guilty of inflating the prices to offer "50% off", but......

They are adamant that they are using SS list prices, however, this is new. Only 2 or 3 weeks ago they always claimed there were no brochure prices and the discount was always shown as 0% (apart from those that had been dumped on their doorstep to sell)

I have to say the TA were actually very polite and eager to please. Surprising since I did suggest they had doubled the list price to offer fake 50% reductions! lol

Most people will check prices and draw their own conclusions on whats a good deal and what isn't after researching. Some will see that and take it at face value.

Les,

I didn't say that I saw anywhere that was offering prices double SS's original prices.

Equally, I don't think anyone reading CC will believe that the TA was offering an 82% reduction of 50% reduction eg a cruise originally priced at £10,000 for a discounted price of £900.

Anyway, onwards and uwards!

Jeff

Today is our last day in Rhodes. I think maybe two days too many. There is a big cruise ship in town today, the Carnival Vista, with about 4000 pax trudging around the old town in grey and rainy weather. The ship completely wrecks the view down the Street of the Knights.

IMG_5511_zpswz776xyf.jpg

Fletch, for a moment I thought that ship was making it's way up the high street.

That gourmet cruise on the Explorer on the other thread sounds dire. The wrong ship not going to the places paid for. Us Brits wouldn't stanbd for those shenanighans would we.

:(

Safe trip home.

Jeff

Hi All.....great pics Fletch albeit you don't like Rhodes....your pic of the cruise ship almost on the high street reminds of a port in Norway where we docked on the QV some years ago.

Looking at recent photos of the new largest vessel "Harmony" makes me shudder at the thought of being on board....it will never happen of course..[emoji15]

Quiet day today after a re union dinner with very old friends last night, we all didn't look any different...just a tad older!!

So hair of the dog it is right now while lunch sizzles away....

Happy weekend all

Sophia [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Today is our last day in Rhodes. I think maybe two days too many. There is a big cruise ship in town today, the Carnival Vista, with about 4000 pax trudging around the old town in grey and rainy weather. The ship completely wrecks the view down the Street of the Knights.

Yes, Fletcher, loved your one earlier picture of Rhodes that was so super wonderful. BUT, seeing this large MEGA ship takes away from the fun and enjoyment. Having ships of 3,000, 4,000, 5,000 or 6,000 passengers hitting such smaller port not designed to absorb these large crowds takes away from the character and charm of these historic islands and areas.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 39,338 views for these postings.

OK, since this a water-cooler site, I have just the question: Will be spending the month of July in the Europe area and will be using a large variety of car services. Some are pre-paid and others we have pay onsite. Wonder what the expected minimum and or maximum tipping would be for the following trips if the service was very good?

1) Paris airport to hotel?

2) A car and driver for six days driving from Scotland to London?

3) London hotels to Airport and or to ship dock?

4) Eight hour car driver & guide in Copenhagen, Denmark?

5) Eight hour car driver & guide in St. Petersburg, Russia?

6) Eight hour car driver & guide in Berlin, Germany?

7) Four hour car driver & guide in Amsterdam?

Don’t know if it’s proper, but since I travel so much, I usually tip in American dollars and haven’t had any complaints. Would try to make a gallant effort to secure more kinds of currency if that’s what one should be doing?

Edited by carefreecruise

OK, since this a water-cooler site, I have just the question: Will be spending the month of July in the Europe area and will be using a large variety of car services. Some are pre-paid and others we have pay onsite. Wonder what the expected minimum and or maximum tipping would be for the following trips if the service was very good?

Don’t know if it’s proper, but since I travel so much, I usually tip in American dollars and haven’t had any complaints. Would try to make a gallant effort to secure more kinds of currency if that’s what one should be doing?

Wlecome to Europe!

May I suggest that you might wish to google tipping in each of the countries first, and then if that poses any questions, you then ask? Otherwise we'll simply be repeating stuff that is readily and very easily available as a result of a very simple search. Tripadvisor also has searchable forums for each country and these questions come up daily and there is normally advice already posted and a click away.

With respect to the currncy question, unless I have misunderstood you, I think you are asking whether when offering tips should offer tips in local currency? Yes!

Read and then ask away!

Jeff

Most of the countries you've listed use the Euro. I doubt anyone would be upset if you tipped in US$, but if you can, id use the local currency. For the UK and Eurozone I cant imagine you'd not have local. St Petersburg I expect they'd be happy with dollars. Denmark uses Its own currency.... But again, local would be better IMHO.

Tipping generally un Europe is not expected like is the customs in the US..... But, I half expect that knowing you are American are probably accustomed to receiving.

Tipping is discretionary. If you've had good service, reward them, if you haven't, then don't. As to amounts, that I would say is not advisable without knowing what you've paid. I expect the charges you're paying, the drivers are already paid handsomely. They are not waitresses paid marginally more than nothing so you really need to remember that mindset. However what you give is entirely down to you.

What sort of prices are these fares? And how many with you? I expect a driver for 6 days in the UK wouldn't be cheap! Knowing that cost amd what you feel is worth it to you is probably a better way of achieving your answer.

Chilcot will savage Blair and generals

‘Brutal’ verdict on MI6 chief and Jack Straw

The source said the report will also:

• Raise questions about the special relationship by saying diplomats in Washington, including ambassa*dor Sir Christopher Meyer, were “not plugged in” and were “bounced along behind the Americans”, who kept them in the dark over plans for the post-invasion period.

• Criticise the decision to disband the Iraqi army and the lack of a reconstruction plan, leaving the country in chaos where extremists could thrive.

• Criticise Blair for telling Bush a year before the war that he would support military action. “It is clear that he did commit himself to Bush at an early stage and didn’t want to be seen as letting Bush down,” the source said.

• Find that “the gloss given to the intelligence assessments before the war was political and the intelligence community should have resisted that”.

• Conclude that the cabinet did not have “the full picture” of what was going on before the invasion as a result of Blair’s informal “sofa style” of government.

• Criticise senior civil servants, in*clu**ding the former cabinet secretary Lord Turnbull, for allowing a situation to de*velop where officials were not pre**sent to take notes when Blair’s inner circle were making key decisions.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/chilcot-will-savage-blair-and-generals-bjwhg9c69?shareToken=83d52a6ed5bee3b8e922fbd40ad19377

I've shared this article from The Sunday Times for you to read. Times Newspapers Limited, publisher of The Times and The Sunday Times websites, is not responsible for the content of this email. Use of the article and the website is subject to the website terms of use.

Jeff

Happy Sunday Coolers. In deference to Fletch and missed eating opportunities in Rhodes (he must be on his way back ....) today in Jeff's Taverna we had moussaka, Greek salad, vin du boite and other suitable stuff. Jeff

Appreciate these super wonderful food pictures from Jeff. Really makes me hungry!! Looking very excellent and tasty!!

On the upcoming UK vote about the EU, the New York Times this morning had this headline on a long reporting "analysis": "‘Brexit,’ a Feel-Good Vote That Could Sink Britain’s Economy" with some of these highlights: "Not since the fall of the Berlin Wall has Europe confronted such a profound question about its future course. The vote throws open elemental questions about the lines of regional power and the spirit of collective interest that has prevailed since the end of World War II. The war yielded an understanding that people would feel less inclined to murder their neighbors if their livelihoods were dependent on trading goods with one another. That idea brought the European Union into being and propelled its expansion, even as bitter differences emerged over its mission: Was it an economic confederation, or a political creation that required central authority? If Britain leaves, it could presage the disintegration of the European project. That Britain is even contemplating an exit speaks to the ferment shaping politics in much of the world, as people grapple with the effects of globalization, automation and immigration. With the vote, Britain is determining its place in the world. If Britain opts for a so-called Brexit — and polls show the electorate roughly split down the middle — that would set up the mother of all divorces. British leaders would commence negotiating with the European Union on the particulars of a separation agreement. Should they fail to strike a deal within two years, British exporters could confront tariffs slapped on the goods and services they are now able to sell duty-free in the 27 other countries that make up the European Union’s vast shared market."

This NY Times writer and the examples cited seem to reflect a viewpoint or leaning against this split. Lots of important aspects, questions and details, however, are cited including the anger pushing for "Ditching the Pencil Pushers" in Brussels and economics about the "Price of Sovereignty".

As we get closer to this later June vote, I look forward to more insights, analysis and predictions for how this issue is headed in the UK.

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/business/international/brexit-referendum-eu-economy.html?hpw&rref=business&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 198,494 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923