Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

A very muggy day here in Wales ...thundering right now with heavy rain and very black outside....my old jalopy due next month for her annual check up.....not too sure about her body parts Jeffers!! [emoji6]

Two days off from visiting now.....Father takes his next step into respite this next week which will make things a lot easier for us all.......have a lovely weekend one and all.......need to comfort furry babe who's terrified of the storm.....

S [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Definitely BBQ weather today... With a high of 76F expected. First of the year.... And of course a few Savanah ciders to cool down.

Hope everyone is good.... Interesting camera comments.... I can't offer any meaningful advice on the subject other than getting the make right first time as you don't want to replace the body AND lenses if you jump ship later! And certainly in some aspects, different manufacturers excel more than others but there is no such thing as one size fits all.

Ok, my Silver Wind trip firmly relegated in my thoughts and I'm aware this is a SS chat thread, but I'm curious if anyone has seen any of this to form an opinion.

Carnival have launched Vista a few days ago and for our sins (and the sake of the kids who would be bored with a SS cruise) we booked to travel in August. Being a new ship, there were no reviews obviously. But having launched, I've been looking out for some info. I don't use Facebook, but I've been made aware of video postings onboard made by a guy called John Heald. I forgave the initial awful filming and cringeworthy comments at first. I figured he was just some OTT excited cruiser trying his best (and failing) to be entertaining and funny. But I now see he is a senior carnival cruise director.

They say there is no such thing as bad publicity. He has proven to me that's not the case. Had I had seen his antics before or know who is is. Apparently he is "a brand ambassador". My gods..... What have I booked!

They say there is no such thing as bad publicity. He has proven to me that's not the case. Had I had seen his antics before or know who is is. Apparently he is "a brand ambassador". My gods..... What have I booked!

You could have done worse by going on Seabourn. Their ambassador is the Donald.

Hi Les,

Yes, we are in real bbq weather here, and Amazon have just delivered a lovely box of catering quality charcoal which I plan to try out with my lamb kebabs later. I wish the cooking took longer as I so enjoy grilling meat.

Re Carnival I think the problem is that your guy being a cruise director feels the need to be the loudest most greparious person alive; the life and soul of the Carnival party. I guess your fear is that he might be an example of the cruisers they are trying to attract and you do not count yourself as one of them. It might be a bum steer but on the basis that the line will have the same vibe cross ships why not have a look at feedback n other similar sized ships within the fleet on the basis it might be much the same? This will either reassure you or alarm you and either response is good.

Jeff

You could have done worse by going on Seabourn. Their ambassador is the Donald.

Oh heck! Lol I have learnt he appears to be popular. It doesn't bode well.

Jeff, had it not been for the fact we've paid in full, not just the cruise, but the flights an pre cruise hotel in Barca for 4 nights for the 4 of us, I would now likely have cancelled and lost our deposits.

Everything I'm now learning puts me off. I now read that on top of the drink prices shown, they add 15% gratuities ( I knew that) and now find they will also be adding 21% VAT to the total price as well.

Not impressed... And full of regrets.

Edited by les37b

Les ... mate .... dear mate!

You are old, experienced, wiley, resourcedul and determined enough to ensure that you convert this concern into a positive frame of mind. You must get your positive head on and ensure that you all have a great time. If you decide it will be a disaster it will be. If you decide it will be a great success it will be .Self-fullfilling prophecies of a clever person.

:)

Jeff

Les...l agree with Jeff..what's done is done so best get into positive mode and I'm sure your kids are excited? Any day at sea is much better than any ashore imho [emoji6]

I stopped sailing Cunard many moons ago due the carnivalisation of the product....in particular their rip of drinks 'policy'......on the very last QM2 trip the bartender even checked that l was with my late DH when he ordered two drinks as one could only order one round at a time!!!!

Not sure if you can take your own booze on board ...maybe check it out....

My offspring are venturing on to their very first cruise this year with P&O ......it's a family voyage and I'm sure they'll have fun....as you will.

Sophia [emoji5]

Sophia and Jeff.... Sound advice of course, and I will proceed with that frame of mind. I'm just thinking back now to comments some friends made a while ago who now refuses to have anything to do with carnival. (They are SS clients and similar) They were invited on a trip with friends and weren't keen but booked anyway to be sociable. They bought the full drinks package despite drinking very little (2 glasses of wine with meal max). Then asked for water to be told that was extra and not covered by the charge they'd paid. That ruling still applies. I just think it's very wrong to tell someone a price and then increase it like they are doing without even intimating there are extras to pay.

Unfortunately you can't take onboard any booze legally - apart from one bottle of wine each over 21 passenger. (I can't even take one for my 18 year old!!!)

I will make sure we make the most, but know this will be a first and last. "fun ship" my backside! lol

I can see them doing what Fletchers last cruise company did when I get back!

Oh well... The BBQ beckons.... Cheers everyone.

I skim read.... Cruises are great ... But you need to have a real life or it's not going to be special. 2 years is more than enough.... Lol

Nothing surprises me with the Police lying. They get away with murder... Or they used to. Ask the Hilsborough 96!

That cannot possibly be real.... Can it?

I wonder what he looks like when he Trumps!

Not sure what is done in the UK and/or for other parts of the world, but today, here, is Mother's Day. It's big and a well-deserved day of recognition in the U.S.. So I wanted to offer sincere wishes for . . . .

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 142,129 views for this posting.

What I think is pleasantly surprising about the Carnival brand is how very different the various lines are; they seem to have kept the good and bad points they always had. Anyone who has travelled Seabourn would not believe that it could be related to

Cunard, P and O, or Costa. I will refrain from making comments about these lines, but they are sure not like Seabourn or her competitors. However, friends who have been taking young families on cruises all say that everyone has a better time if there are special facilities etc. laid on for the young generation, and taking them on a luxury line which does not cater for them is not a good idea.

Wonderful food pix again Jeff - yum.

I'm afraid I was taught in Imperial and had huge problems with Metric when it came in (math not being my strongest skill). Fortunately not long after that we went to Bda and back to Imperial so I have spent well over half my life measuring in ft and ins, lbs, etc to say nothing about degrees F. Fortunately most of my contractors are also old school so everything is fine, one of them insists in ordering everything in Imperial which causes no end of consternation at the builders merchants LOL

I'm afraid this old dog can't or more accurately won't learn new tricks.

Mary

Greetings Coolers!

I thought a little levity to start the week might be fun. Our grand adventure came with an added bonus of an education in toilet facilities for women around the world.

DSC04119_zpsdasjxqib.jpg

Ok, just kidding! This picture was actually taken on our excursion to Acre from Haifa. It is the remains of the Crusader Latrines. Not too far off the mark though.

I was familiar with some of the facilities (although calling them "facilities" is a bit of a stretch for some) but there were some surprises. I can laugh now about one such surprise and I certainly wasn't laughing at the time.

On our excursion to Luxor from the port of Ashdod we were taken to a hotel for tea prior to the long ride back to the ship. It was a beautiful hotel and the toilet facilities were wonderful. I hurried to use them. This is where I ran into trouble. I could not find the "flush". I scanned the area and finally found a white lever at the side of the toilet. Standing facing the toilet (big mistake) I depressed the lever. Up came a gush of water from the inside rim splashing onto the floor and of course onto me. I was soaked in an area that would be difficult to explain. I had no change of clothes with me. Who brings a change of clothes on a 13 hour excursion? I looked up and realized that the "flush" was a chrome rectangular box at eye level above the toilet. I depressed the box and things happened as they should. I attempted to dry my clothing to no avail. I walked back to the table in the restaurant to be greeted by Myster's "What did you do?". I had to attempt to explain to him and our two table mates. Laughter ensued! I can appreciate the humour now but I did not join in at the time.

Have a great day all!

Thanks J! As I get older I am finding I can laugh at my misadventures (although not necessarily at the time they occur). :)

They misadventures make for better stories, too! Everyone has the same old boring stories about the routine stuff.

Hi Coolers.......all rather quiet here!!! Mysty...do tell us more about your adventures....have you come back down to earth yet..[emoji6]

Jeffers...the C must be heating up now with this glorious weather?

Finally after fourteen very long weeks in hospital my father goes into a residential home tomorrow...it's been such a long haul and I've spent the last few days trying to make his new home somewhat familiar for him with all his personal stuff so hopefully he'll be happy......

Hope all in the UK are enjoying the sunshine....let's hope it lasts!

Sophia [emoji5]

Greetings Coolers!

Sophia - so glad to hear that your father is doing better. Wonderful of you to make his transition easier for him!

Another humourous story from our grand adventure..... One night toward the end of the cruise there was a "costume" dinner on the pool deck served family style at long tables. We were asked to don Arab or Indian attire. Not wanting to miss out on the fun I cobbled together a costume. I wore my black long sleeve, knee length, jersey beach cover-up over black palazzo pants and wrapped a plain red scarf over my head and neck. I guess the outfit was credible because as I stood waiting for the elevator to deck 8 I heard whispers from my right hand side near the door to the deck. I looked over and there were about 3 of the suite attendants from our deck. When they saw who I was they collapsed in gales of laughter. They had not recognized me! Soon all 4 of us were doubled over in giggles. Priceless moment!

Have a great day/evening all!

Good morning Coolers.

Something weird going on ..... :confused:

I just received a mailing from a "well known US discount cruise TA" offering roughly 500+ different Silversea cruises (not suites ... but cruise dates) all at 50%+ discount plus $200 credits and a fruther 10% for payment on later cruises for payment now. Is this virtually all their cruises at 50%+ off? This to me seems concerning.

Some nice kebabs today and playing around with my Lékué bread baking bowls and some new flours and mix combinations.

Have a good day all

Jeff

C7E5E3B0-030E-483E-8332-6B34F2D45708.jpg

9ED4E4CE-DBF8-4234-AC7F-4DE957DDCCDB.jpg

Hello Jeff

Food looks yummy.

As for the discount cruises, I think this is the same outfit Les was talking about.

If you actually go to the specific cruise and compare (i.e., the discounter prices) with Silversea, is it the same or really discounted?

I know that Silversea does dump some of their less than stellar selling cruises to dis counters. My six day mini cruise was an example of that practice.

I also know that Silversea will bump people if they can get a charter to buy up the whole cruise. It's a business practice to fill up the ships...

I don't know if it's a good practice to bump people, but they must figure that a few disgruntled pax won't matter much in the long run.

I also heard on my last cruise that the Discoverer is going to be sold or its lease terminated. Not sure if the trips aren't profitable or the ship just too old and grumpy and requires lots of fixing.

On another front, DD was staying with us for awhile and doesn't eat bread. So I have been experimenting. I had heard of the cauliflower pizza crust, and I made a pizza last night with a cauliflower crust. Ok, don't turn up your nose. It was actually quite good, and I am sure the fresh tomatoes, mozzarella and basil didn't hurt.

Now I wish I had taken a photo for you. Next time. :-)

Enjoy the day all.

Edited by spinnaker2