Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Hello from Rhodes - Yesterday, our first day, it was rainy all day so we stayed at our hotel and watched the rather eventful Spanish Grand Prix. Today it's blue skies and pleasantly warm so we have walked our proverbial socks off. I started early with a trip into the Old Town - a World Heritage Site - at 6am and found it delightfully deserted. Later in the day it's full of tourists, tourist tat for sale and those awful photographic menus. The beach to the northwest of town has to be one of the grottiest I've ever seen. Our hotel, the Rodos Park Suites, is a rather elegant retreat where a chicken burger costs 35 Euros.

Here's a shot from my 6am perambulation -

IMG_5240_zpsmu3cwvdp.jpg

Edited by Fletcher

Copenhagen is indeed a lovely city, and the Danes are a great people, friendly and helpful (with one or two exceptions in airport security, both male). The airport is not the easiest in the world generally, very few seating areas, far too many shops and cafes, and arrivals and departures crossing each other in the corridors, which is less than efficient. However, I bow to nobody in my admiration of Danish men generally - I was unofficially engaged to one many years ago, the romance sadly dying out when we were simply writing letters to each other (it was many years ago, no emails or skyping). I was not very successful in learning the language either; it is nothing like as easy to learn, IMO, as French, Spanish or Italian. So I ended up eventually with an Englishmen, who are mostly just as kind and loving as Danes!

A lovely shot of Rhodes town, Fletcher, thanks, and of Jeff's shiny sticky satays. We have enjoyed the Corinth canal a couple of times, once in the early evening with the sun setting, which was glorious, especially with a glass or two of something delicious.

Lola

I am getting my morning Cooler quick fix before heading off to work, and am delighted to find Terry's Copenhagen pictures as they remind me I need to finalize my plans for this summer when DH and I will be spending four days there before our Norway cruise. The only thing I have set up is the hotel and a full-day private guide with an interesting complex ethnic background and history training and with whom I have been emailing regarding our interests. Apparently there are also options for food tours of some of the funkier districts, but some restaurants require reservations weeks in advance. Excursions out of town also look alluring, hard to choose.

Everything we do except the food will mostly be oriented to DH having photo opportunities.

As usual, Fletcher posts another striking photo that simultaneosly ( to me anyway) highlights beauty and loneliness and makes me stare as if at a novel.

Appreciate Les' added details and background for his wonderful Corinth video production. Glad you had that small bracket photo and details. I have one similar to what you have shown. I don't think my camera will do such a video at one frame per second, but I need to check more. Clearly today's cameras will do many amazing "things", but we do not always know the "how-to's" or practice making such magic. Great example and inspiration!!

Terry, it is possible to do them using your DSLR and a shutter release device available from ebay for about $15.... However, I wouldnt recommend using your camera to do this. The shutter count will take a good bashing. Far better to use a gopro IMHO.

Fletcher, great shot! I know exactly where this photo was taken...we stood there in October 2014 during our visit on Silver Cloud, and I took the same shot. However, it was later in the afternoon and my lighting wasn't as good. Though I thought I'd done well with only a few people in my shot, yours is much nicer! By way of comparison...a typical tourist shot of the Street of the Knights in Old Town Rhodes.

aKeF2kZ7RGNMKGIXoqKCDxc6DQekatuTnq4wt5OB9ufLOR3OEZMgahK3WLspA7Oy8mF9Zu3wnglun15CrxbdUiSUYV_MQ1TXiGCRGd1x1TCLgo2dyPxr7jol0ck6esmk27Rv8p0UFkPEhdlwZVwTQjYXkcmQ1v-CE5X29wm7bCQzeB3-5aUYMa4ll3euW5h_CavpIiYySqe7DsYfjWl367Lc8QtrsDqf0oS8RBHxXM1oUmawUYsk7tphVr3onBAzvY9sdPNPRWppYCQtsQdX1e1WrgQkSzdpOVzOroPe-hIvxmN1qXZLVe39SJkIvtoEPvhM0tnel8qh_gq3NvFOYlVYLpM-f2qbmfpK_TKZv-VTyypgyC8hEaXGw4aVf-pGRJwokx4PMJexlFkOQj5FwTa7ohDZU8sGFWfBNnrtJ1GP2u8RHdHw7nPWFcXdzrTw4AeCB2HMZ4gqofFtbrtXST13aTnlATPT6k4TxTw0PP-sA6RxJRIjnQDQbSin-SZVNvAs9btCM_KSMxbyZzwnikqueZfdTm1u0h054291xNpwIPE7oEyY0j6nOzISnJmSDqyED9d0ZbYx3lv2rKrc-V0d2MzFdVip=w890-h667-no

Enjoy the rest of your time and looking forward to more photos - any pictures of those expensive chicken burgers? Reminds me of the prices in Oslo!

Catlover54 has done a nice job, I agree, explaining why all of us derive so much enjoyment from the Cooler. Regarding Copenhagen, let us know what you decide to do, and post pictures. It's a place we need to visit.

Lola, my younger sister was married to a Dane at one point. He wasn't very warm and loving...guess he didn't read the job description! That was my first and only trip to Denmark; they got married on the island of Bornholm in the middle of January. My little brothers jumped in the Baltic for fun. Holy wind chill! Some day we must revisit during a warmer time.

One of my brothers now lives in Odense, about an hour from Copenhagen. He's been teaching there for 2 years out of his original 3 year commitment, but he very much likes it and may stay for an extended time. He would agree with you that the language is very difficult. His 3-year-old daughter laughs at his feeble efforts to speak Danish. Of course, being 3, she can pick it up like a sponge at Pre-K. :D

Terry - the endless twilight in Northern Europe is truly special. We have always enjoyed the long evenings in Iceland, Norway, etc whenever we've visited. It gets you energized and makes you happy to be alive! I would be miserable enduring a winter full of the opposite, so I can understand the fervent embrace of Springtime and the increasing sunlight. I think that the short winter days here in New York, at 42 degrees north, are bad enough!

Love you all

Love reading, watching, listening, experiencing, feeling the emotions, the dialogue, arguments, political views, the absurd, the silly, the food, the photos, the exchange and interchange, so much to learn from one another.

Thank you all.

I feel humbled in your presence.

Thanks, Jpalbny. That is a great street in Rhodes, isn't it?

It seems that the economic and migrant messes have hit Greece very hard. Rhodes has escaped the worst of the migrants yet people just think it's a problem affecting every island. Our hotel is virtually empty and last night we dined alone at one of Rhodes Town's best fish restaurants. The owner said this, so far, was the worst season she had ever experienced. Even the Old Town at night was pretty much a ghost town.

Tax increases, forced on Greece by the EU and IMF, has meant a VAT increase on food from 9 percent to 23 percent. At a little unassuming taverna we looked at a menu which had a 'fish special for two' at 300 Euros. You pay that in London for a fancy Michelin joint.

It's all very depressing. The EU project has failed totally and utterly.

spins - just caught up with your Sardinia story. What a fantastic day; one I am sure you will never forget. Thanks for sharing.

jp - I think your ex brother-in-law now works in security at Copenhagen Airport.

I can't help agreeing that the EU project seems to be failing, sadly. DH says we should stay in and try to improve it; I am more selfish and jingoistic, and am almost certain to vote for Brexit.

Regards from deepest Lincs on another glorious morning.

Lola

Terrible Fletch,

The worst thing that has happened to Greece is the EU.

All we can really hope for on the 23rd is a rainy day, something really decent on TV and a very low turnout. I reckon around a 54% turnout or lower will give us a brexxit.

Enjoy Rhodes.

Jeff

Hello one and all......great to know the cooler is being appreciated....it is indeed a place to come and vent, discuss and laugh.

Lola.....your airport tale reminded me of my transit through Barcelona this last time when l was pulled aside for drug testing on my luggage......a bit scary when l realised what they were doing!! DD said it was because I travel alone....who knows ...maybe l looked shady...[emoji6]

Still not sure about the forthcoming EU decisions....I'm not very politically minded these days as I have little trust or faith in anyone or indeed anything that is said....having to deal with our nhs and social services system this last four months hasn't done anything at all to restore my confidence!

Anyway...it's a beautiful day here in Wales so I'm making the most of the garden....with a glass of red while the curry bubbles away.....[emoji16]

Sophia [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good afternoon Coolers!

What wifey really dreads when going through security is them asking me to take my belt off and put my hands in the air. For good reason. :o

Today has been a Julian Bream Day. ;)

Lovely grilled bream with Jersey Royals and English Asparagus with a lemon thyme and lemon hollondaise. All very simple and plain.

Jeff

8EB1EEC4-5404-44C9-9AD3-D33D465D3A35.jpg

A9943963-1429-40D0-8857-EE744168C93D.jpg

2672F4E6-9B5E-467F-8819-3F2407714DBE.jpg

Terry, it is possible to do them using your DSLR and a shutter release device available from ebay for about $15.... However, I wouldnt recommend using your camera to do this. The shutter count will take a good bashing. Far better to use a gopro IMHO.

spinnaker2: Love you all. Love reading' date=' watching, listening, experiencing[/b'], feeling the emotions, the dialogue, arguments, political views, the absurd, the silly, the food, the photos, the exchange and interchange, so much to learn from one another.

jpalbany: Terry - the endless twilight in Northern Europe is truly special. We have always enjoyed the long evenings in Iceland' date=' Norway, etc whenever we've visited. It gets you energized and makes you happy to be alive! I would be miserable enduring a winter full of the opposite, so I can understand the [b']fervent embrace of Springtime and the increasing sunlight. I think that the short winter days here in New York, at 42 degrees north, are bad enough!

UKCruiseJeff: The worst thing that has happened to Greece is the EU. All we can really hope for on the 23rd is a rainy day' date=' something really decent on TV and a very low turnout. I reckon around a 54% turnout or lower will [b']give us a brexxit.[/b]

specialcruisegirl: great to know the cooler is being appreciated....it is indeed a place to come and vent' date=' discuss and laugh. [b']Still not sure about the forthcoming EU decisions[/b]....I'm not very politically minded these days as I have little trust or faith in anyone or indeed anything that is said....having to deal with our nhs and social services system this last four months hasn't done anything at all to restore my confidence! Anyway...it's a beautiful day here in Wales so I'm making the most of the garden. Sophia

Appreciate the wonderful photos from Fletcher, Jeff, JP, etc. Lots of good and interesting thoughts, comments, etc. Keep it coming and rolling along.

Yes, need to do Sardinia, Rhodes, etc. Lots of great places left for exploring. Just need more time and money. Any rich volunteers willing to adopt me and fund my exploring??

Am following with strong interest all that is happening (or not) with the EU, the upcoming vote by the UK, Greece's shaky economic future, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 198,330 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Greetings Coolers!

This venue is indeed a wonderful spot! The sofas are comfy, the conversation delightful and the libations free-flowing! My kind of place!

The bream and sides look delicious J! Myster is working just 3 days a week now and has taken over the job of cooking. I am thrilled! He is a much better cook than I am.

Just in case anyone is interested, here are a few pictures from our over-land to Bagan, Myanmar.

DSC03088_zpsgjptqiir.jpg

DSC03096_zpsobas7qjw.jpg

DSC03124_zps2b96caqk.jpg

DSC03228_zps7ovjfbq9.jpg

Have a great day/evening all!

WOW, great pictures Mysty!

YES, YES!! Super agree. Appreciate these added, wonderful visual images by Mysty. Makes me want to go there and move these fascinating areas up higher on our priority, wish lists. Keep it coming!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 212,931 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

JP - Both Bagan, Myanmar and Bhutan were unlike anything we had ever experienced before. Both were amazing and fascinating places! We would definitely recommend visits to these magical locations!

So why are SS offering it seems all of their portfolio at 50% discount through US discount TA's whilst cancelling it seems cruises wholesale? Some it seems that are waitlisted.

Why is it that when they cancel a cruise they do not have a team properly briefed and with authority who contacts customers to deal with the fallout and ensure they minimise customer impact and dissatisfaction? It isn't enough to leave it TA's and to deal with these things in a hotch potch way that leaves customers feeling that they are all treated differently as though in a lottery.

Any theories?

Jeff

Appreciate those comments Jeff.... I'm very interested to know how this can happen also....I'd quite frankly be mortified......you of all may have a clue here as l know you worked with Manfredi for a long time.

S [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For the removal of any doubt I (we) worked with SS at M's invitation some time ago. It was fun. We mustn't over-egg these things! :D

I find it all counter intuitive. Something has to be happening. If it isn't then they are simply not managing things very well are they?

:(

Jeff

Jeff et al

I did go look at the supposed discounts, not all of them, just a random sampling.

They weren't discounts at all.

I was looking at the site Les spoke about before it was taken down.

I do think it's extremely poor business for silversea to treat customers in such a manner as cancelling voyages.

If however they have an opportunity to charter the entire vessel rather than running partially full, my guess is they will, have and do that.

A few displaced and disgruntled pax are a price they will pay.

As I reported, the discoverer is to be no more in the near future. The cloud will be fitted as an expedition vessel.

I also said the corporate types were aboard the mini cruise, and they were anything but jovial. Silversea doesn't have the market cornered, and with notes on the Muse coming due, I think they are less than liquid.

So, they are getting cut throat.

Too bad that some are getting wounded in the process.

Not a good thing at all.

Hi Spins,

I was confused by what you said so for the removal of doubt, are you talking about looking at a site some time ago - or since I posted as you seem to be making a contradiction. If so, I'm not sure I understand your point about the discounts I posted about a few days ago. The site I looked at a few days ago appears to have hundreds of cruises every one of them at 50% discount. It looked like the whole portfolio. :confused:

With respect to the other point, it isn't that they charter and bounce existing bookings. What is puzzling is the apparent increase in them and that they appear to be doing little or nothing to minimise fallout and dissatisfaction. Most TAs have no loyalty to any particular line. If SS don't manage this well TAs retain their clients by blaming the line and simply switching them to others. Perhaps it is just me, but I find their (lack of) management of cancellations puzzling. We've had a couple or more of really disgruntled people post who appear might be less so if they had simply been "managed" better.

Perhaps it's just me. :)

Jeff