Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Hi everyone

Sorry about your tendering, les - Seabourn Quest is disembarking everyone today, and then off for 8 days dry dock until she gets back in MC next weekend. She is having alterations to galleys and one restaurant following the much hyped menus and dishes of the new 'celebrity chef' Thomas Keller, who will apparently be on board about 1st May to oversee the proper opening of his baby. So far the soft opening has had mixed reviews from the Seabourn fans.

Eddy Jordan is currently around, unlike the rest of the current F1 outfit who are in China for this weekend's GP. Eddy was not taken on by Channel 4 from the BBC for the TV coverage of F1. Many aficionados are not too sorry, he is a true pontificator.

Pleased to hear you actually had a request for your donation to the 'charity', I think usually you had to actually go to the desk and ask for it to be removed? I am afraid it was one of the reasons, among others, why we stopped travelling with Silversea, it was impossible to discover what good work this 'charity' did. Maybe you know, Jeff.

Apologies for being in a bit of a cynical mood today. Did not sleep too well, that is probably why. I will try to be nicer next time!

Lola

Lola - now that's the name of a historic racing marque!!!

Eddie Jordan is in fact part of C4's Formula One racing team. He is a pontificator but as a former driver and team owner he does know his stuff and I'm pleased he has gone over to C4. I'm not pleased about the truly disruptive advertisements (though not during live race coverage) and I rather miss Suzi Perry as it's too blokeish now.

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/channel-4-unveils-expert-formula-1-presenting-team

We opted out of that on-board charity donation as well.

Edited by Fletcher

Thanks Fletch - I thought he was just going to be on the 'new Top Gear (!!) I, even being female, preferred Suzi to the present incumbent, and of course they are not live this weekend in China. Did you know the popular nickname for EJ is Wiggy? For obvious reasons.

Lola - yes, we both remember the cars well - just came about with fiddling about with my CC initials - LL - and we decided I was more like the one with the doubtful gender than the showgirl, sadly. Actually not like either in real life.

P.S. I hope Sophia and Spins are having a ball. And, mysty, thanks for the lovely pics. I note you have still a fortnight to go on board, via Crete, Corfu, lovely Kotor and Dubrovnik. Sailing into Venice is always lovely - hope it is not too early in the morning.

In a better mood now,

Lola

Yes, shame about Suzi Perry. I like a fresh input and was mightily impressed with Maggie Alphonsi in the world cup and six nations presentations on TV.

But mostly I like the BBC's continued employment of Denise Lewis for athletics coverage. However this is more to do with her being hotter than a professor of hot from Hotsville University! How can such a hot lady be so cool?

Good Morning all .... from a rainy Seaside!

I must admit I enjoy the banter between David Coultard and EJ. I think the perspectives from those different parts of the same industry is always illuminating, and EJ takes himself so seriously. I posted some while back that wifey had a long chat with DC at Nice airport once without knowing who he was. She had tripped on her carry on when leaving the flight and he had helped her and carried on chatting with her all the way to baggage. I had gone on ahead as I always do. He was a charming man! When I explained to her wh he was, she was still clueless until she saw him on TV.

I really enjoy the female experts, they seem so knowledgeable and have an encyclopaedic memory. I also like that they appear to be in charge and put the blokes back in place. Suzy was exceptional.

Three back to back nights of delivered curry and tandoori here .... tonight we'll have something else delivered.

I hope all coolers are enjoying their travels.

Jeff

That's interesting if the Quest is going in for a minor refit. Looking on the outside the Wind looks very shabby compared to the Quest. I have to admit I'd happily have a trip on it.

You are probably right about the "donation" Lola. I expect I will have "spend" money left - they can have that. Im none to keen on "forced" donations either and I have no idea what wonderful work it does.

I've not asked yet who else was in le champagne last night but we are booked in tonight. I will try to find out.... And have the same table the prince did.

I had a look around again but no sign of Eddies boat. There are 2 particularly big vessels here (Lady Moura and Atlantis)

Came back on the ship to video docking on board, And just watched to A holes in their supercars trying to get into the berth area so they could take photos of their cars with the Wind... Despite being told to clear off. They eventually parked a bit further down blocking the road and just getting out to do it. When you are wealthy you can do what you like I guess.

Didn't get the helicopter ride in the end, but maybe another time. Monaco is a bit of a surreal place but I saw enough jerks to put me off.

Livorno next ... We depart at 2300

Hi all,

Having a great time, wish you were here!

les

Can't wait to hear more about your trip.

Posted on other thread with photos, hope that Jeff won't complain there are too many, in his curmudgeonly manner ;-).

At least I am not bothering Terry to post them for me.

Hey Coolers.....just sailing away from the beautiful island of Bermuda.....clear skies and crystal blue sea...life is good.

The lovely Spins and l have met up along with others and its all rather wonderful as we head out into the mighty Atlantic Ocean...

Sorry it's raining over in Blighty...[emoji6]

S......[emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi all, Having a great time, wish you were here! Posted on other thread with photos, hope that Jeff won't complain there are too many, in his curmudgeonly manner ;-). At least I am not bothering Terry to post them for me.

As I had posted, am loving the pictures and reports from this trans-Atlantic cruise. It was not a "bother" to help Candy on her past picture posting. BUT, this past week has been kind of busy on my schedule so it is good that have been able to work out things for that important photo sharing. Look forward to seeing lots more on these CC Boards. Keep the fun flowing!! Never too many pictures being posted.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 140,240 views for this posting.

Good to hear from Sophia and spins that they are having a lovely time - and with good weather. We had snow first thing, now quite warm with sunshine!! We are off soon, and currently wondering whether to travel in a winter coat, mac, or light jacket or even tee shirt!

Spins, your sky photos are absolutely lovely - a reminder that you do see some wonderful skies and sunsets from a ship. I hope you do get to the Azores, well worth visiting once; slightly different from everywhere else.

Lola

I plan to spend a few days in Lisbon before a cruise in September and am looking for a safe, air-conditioned 4 or 5 star hotel near the key central tourist areas for walking, and preferably with nice soft beds. A view and pool would be nice but not mandatory. Has to have an elevator if more than one floor to climb.

Other than the Four Seasons, any luxury traveler here have preferences or redommendations?

Catlover54,

Last year we had good stay at the Olissippo Lapa Palace. The only box it does not tick for you is it's a bit out of the centre of town.

On the other hand If you enjoy sea food, the Sea Me fish restaurant is a definite for a visit and it is near the centre of town.

R.

Good to hear from Sophia and spins that they are having a lovely time - and with good weather. We had snow first thing, now quite warm with sunshine!! We are off soon, and currently wondering whether to travel in a winter coat, mac, or light jacket or even tee shirt! Lola

YES! We need lots more picture postings from Spins!! Does she think she is on vacation? On weather, below is what today and the next couple days look like here in Central Ohio. It's been this wonderful way during the fast few days. Very enjoyablel!!

Below are a couple of visuals from being at a college football practice game. It is not just the fall for football in America. Getting 100,000 people there for just a practice, intra-squad game is pretty amazing and a national record crowd.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 197,088 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Central Ohio and many parts of the Midwest, it has been nice and sunny for the past few days. Here is the AccuWeather outlook for today and the next two days. Like??:

April2016Pis3_zpsfvjecsdb.jpg

Yesterday, Ohio State had its Spring Game with over 100,000 attending in Ohio Stadium. Here I am pictured with Buck-I-Man in his full cheering uniform with the field and part of the large crowd in the background. Second, there was recognition for former Ohio State and Saints NFL player Will Smith who was tragically killed in a New Orleans road-rage shooting.:

April2016Pis1_zpsudr1jiaq.jpg

April2016Pis2_zpsh06k2ok7.jpg

For those who might want to complain and/or worry about the long, long distances to reach locations such as southern Africa and/or Australia, this profile reporting from the London/UK Daily Mail today might offer some "perspective".

They have this part of a headline: "12-day flight to Brisbane in the 1930s to the digital age" with these highlights: "Almost 100 years' worth of rare British Airways maps have been compiled into a fascinating new book. Mapping The Airways reveals the intriguing charts that guided aviators. From early advertisements for routes from London to Paris to state-of-the-art on-board moving maps, the 160-page book reveals 92-years' worth of intriguing aviation history."

This story has this key summary: "This map demonstrates two of the furthest Imperial Airways routes in the 1930s. London to Brisbane, for example, a trip that today takes around 24 hours to complete, took 12 and a half days and stopped off 11 times along the way. Another lengthy trip was London to Cape Town, which took at least nine days - a lot longer than today's 11-hour flight to the South African capital."

Interesting history, background details from an era when virtually none of us on these current Cruise Critic boards would have had to experience. Since the "jet era" arrived in the late 1950's, things have improved significantly!!

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3535971/From-12-day-flight-Brisbane-1930s-digital-age-Fascinating-new-book-traces-rare-British-Airways-route-maps-adverts-going-dawn-aviation.html

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 211,466 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here are a couple of graphics associated with this Daily Mail reporting and this new book out on this era of international flying. First, shows the map, days required and stops in going either to Australia or Cape Town/South Africa. WOW!! That would be lots of flights and stops!! The second graphics shows one of their late 1934 promotional posters and the potential locations that this British airline could reach.:

April2016Pis1_zpsrbrpau6j.jpg

April2016Pis2_zpspbcd6ecj.jpg

A lot of people might regard that as the Golden Age of travelling.

What irritates me is that it now takes just as long to fly to Brisbane in 2016 as it did in 1966. While some aspects of air travel have seen amazing advances they are all rather cosmetic (more movie choices etc) compared to the speed of travel. In this respect I regard the air industry as regressive rather than progressive.

And am I the only person here who really dislikes the current fad for those business class pods? OK for solo business people, I guess, but surely not vacationers. Coming back recently from Antigua in Virgin's Upper Class we were squeezed in like sardines, you couldn't talk to your partner, the flat beds were rather uncomfortable and so on. The staff were fab, though.

Edited by Fletcher

What irritates me is that it now takes just as long to fly to Brisbane in 2016 as it did in 1966. While some aspects of air travel have seen amazing advances they are all rather cosmetic (more movie choices etc) compared to the speed of travel. In this respect I regard the air industry as regressive rather than progressive.

Up

And am I the only person here who really dislikes the current fad for those business class pods? OK for solo business people, I guess, but surely not vacationers. Coming back recently from Antigua in Virgin's Upper Class we were squeezed in like sardines, you couldn't talk to your partner, the flat beds were rather uncomfortable land so on. The staff were fab, though.

Fletch..... A lot of the magic has gone. I can remember trips to koh samui... No airport, long sea crossing and train up from malaysia\Singapore or bangkok... Prices were crazily cheap... People were travelers... No one knew what 6 star was let alone 4*... And great value. I think we grow accustomed to our creature comforts. Its something I would trade. The world has shrunk. It was better (IMHO) before. Only Antarctica doesn't have the crowds'.... yet

Just had my first lemoncello...... Alcoholic lemsip - sound about right?

Edited by les37b

Fletch..... A lot of the magic has gone. I can remember trips to koh samui... No airport, long sea crossing and train up from malaysia\Singapore or bangkok... Prices were crazily cheap... People were travelers... No one knew what 6 star was let alone 4*... And great value. I think we grow accustomed to our creature comforts. Its something I would trade. The world has shrunk. It was better (IMHO) before. Only Antarctica doesn't have the crowds'.... yet

Just had my first lemoncello...... Alcoholic lemsip - sound about right?

I remember taking my kids on holiday to Spain (I think it was a 737?) and at the front of the plane we sat in 4 seats facing each other over a table!

:)

Jeff

And am I the only person here who really dislikes the current fad for those business class pods? OK for solo business people, I guess, but surely not vacationers. Coming back recently from Antigua in Virgin's Upper Class we were squeezed in like sardines, you couldn't talk to your partner, the flat beds were rather uncomfortable and so on. The staff were fab, though.

I totally agree. I do not care about the upgraded movies as I usually watch my own on my iPAD, if I want, and bring my own e-books. In addition to the issue of the Pod isolation, I am not a big person but cannot seem to get comfortable in the sitting or lie-flat pods on most airlines, as they are narrower than the older recliner style, hurt and press me, usually have no push-against footrest to relieve my back, and interfere with where I can conveniently put things. I liked the seats about 10-15 years ago which were like big, spacious adjustable recliners with many spaces and things on each side, including DH, so we could easily talk, I could nibble off his plate, and we could watch the same movie on a computer together, with an adapter, and editorialize about it, Cannot do this in the Pods, presumably so we do not forget that "hell is the others" .

Apropos of the current TA, just wondering if there is any etiquette about posting people's photos on the boards. I know lots of people do, usually of themselves, obviously happily, but I would not really like someone putting a pic of me on here, without asking first. Or am I being paranoid?

Apropos of the current TA, just wondering if there is any etiquette about posting people's photos on the boards. I know lots of people do, usually of themselves, obviously happily, but I would not really like someone putting a pic of me on here, without asking first. Or am I being paranoid?

You are not being paranoid. I feel the same. I would have thought that common courtsey mandates you ask the other person(s) whether they would mind you posting it irrespective of whether they are a private individual or an employee.

Jeff

Hi coolers! We've been way too busy to post but we had a great time in Budapest, and then the river cruise. We just finished with one night in Salzburg before spending last night in Munich. All was fun and looking forward to catching up with my blog, as well as all of your travels too!

Best to all!