Disembarkation Question, NYC, Gem Cruise

Presbycruiser

I am cruising on the NCL Gem out of NYC, November 23-December 3. When I booked my ticket, the arrival back to NYC was set for 8 am. I figured that gave me plenty of time to get to Newark Airport for my 2:15 flight. After I booked, the arrival time changed to 10 am. I am a little concerned about how long it takes to disembark and still make my flight. The only suggestion from NCL was to take my own luggage off the ship. OK, I can do that, but isn't there some additional way to disembark relatively early?

I also note that while NCL offers a shuttle service to an airport, it only does so to LaGuardia for this cruise ... the smallest of the three major metro airports. Yeah that makes sense. Sigh.

Any suggestions from anyone who has been in a similar situation?

Edited by Presbycruiser

I would buy travel insurance that covers both the cruise and the flights. In regards to getting off early, self debarkation is the ONLY option I've ever heard of to get off earliest. Even if you are a suite guest, to get off early it is self debarkation. Suite Guests get off before everyone else if they self debark followed by all other passengers self debarking. I don't know if you are in a suite or not, but you might consider upgrading if possible. Luckily this is a freestyle cruise so you can pack light to make this as painless as possible. I would make a reservation for a private car from the pier to Newark. I don't think you will have a problem but if you did, that travel insurance should help.

The other thing is at the airport it is helpful to be a trusted traveler.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs

This usually pre-checks you so you go through a shorter line at TSA security.

I would buy travel insurance that covers both the cruise and the flights. In regards to getting off early, self debarkation is the ONLY option I've ever heard of to get off earliest. Even if you are a suite guest, to get off early it is self debarkation. Suite Guests get off before everyone else if they self debark followed by all other passengers self debarking. I don't know if you are in a suite or not, but you might consider upgrading if possible. Luckily this is a freestyle cruise so you can pack light to make this as painless as possible. I would make a reservation for a private car from the pier to Newark. I don't think you will have a problem but if you did, that travel insurance should help.

The other thing is at the airport it is helpful to be a trusted traveler.

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs

This usually pre-checks you so you go through a shorter line at TSA security.

Not in a suite, and way over what I can afford ... I'll just try to beat the rush as best I can. Thanks for the tip about being a "trusted traveler." I'll check that out.

All their itineraries out of NYC show a 10am return. You will be back way earlier than 10. The ship 99% of the time is secured at the dock by 7 or 7:30. Your 2:15 should be just fine.

Our itin in March said 10am return. We were in our car heading home at 8:30.

I don't understand why NCL started using the 10am return time. most of the time new guests are being boarded by noon. That would not be the case if the ship started debarkation at 10am.

Edited by mizlorinj

I am cruising on the NCL Gem out of NYC, November 23-December 3. When I booked my ticket, the arrival back to NYC was set for 8 am. I figured that gave me plenty of time to get to Newark Airport for my 2:15 flight. After I booked, the arrival time changed to 10 am. I am a little concerned about how long it takes to disembark and still make my flight. The only suggestion from NCL was to take my own luggage off the ship. OK, I can do that, but isn't there some additional way to disembark relatively early?

I also note that while NCL offers a shuttle service to an airport, it only does so to LaGuardia for this cruise ... the smallest of the three major metro airports. Yeah that makes sense. Sigh.

Any suggestions from anyone who has been in a similar situation?

Did the 9 night itinerary and was off the ship and in the taxi by 8:30am. Walked off with my own luggage. If you do choose early walk off my tip would be to pick the line that near the shops/theater the line forms in the shops hallway facing the theater right at the "fire doors." It was less hectic than the atrim location which backed up into the elevator/stairwell. However, the walk down to customs is long from there.

Newark airport is not that far and that time of the morning you will be going against the traffic. Sometimes there is a wait for a taxi, might be a good idea to have a car meet you. There are many companies here, Dial 7 sticks in my mind. Have a great trip

We usually do the self-walk off & have gotten off the Gem as early as 0730. They post a 1000 disembarkation time to CTA in case US Customs has a problem which they sometimes do at this POE.

1) Do the walk-off BUT remember you MUST be able to carry ALL of your luggage off by yourselves. No one will help you from NCL.

2) After clearing US Customs walk across the street; there's a cab stand right there. DON'T queue up for a taxi from the pier itself; you may wait for an hour or more.

3) You can take a taxi direct to EWR from the aforesaid cab stand. You can also do Uber; my daughter who lives in NYC uses it ALL the time to get to LGA, JFK and EWR airports.

4) You can also take the cab to NY Penn Station & hop a NJ Transit train to the Newark Liberty Airport Rail Station stop. There's a monorail (called AirTrain) that runs from the RR station to all three terminals plus the parking garages at EWR. This may save you some money but it's a little longer time-wise.

As someone else stated your flight time is perfect so I wouldn't worry too much. You have LOTS of options getting from the pier to EWR. Have a great cruise!

Tom

We've got a 12:30 flight from JFK. Will we make it & what's our best option for transportation?
Self-debark as early as you can and take a cab (use the taxi stand across the street, not the one at the pier) to JFK. About $65.

If your ship is late arriving, this can get tight; if there's traffic, if there's other situations, it can be hard.

I think 12:30 from JFK is aggressive but possible. If everything goes normally, you'll be docked and cleared to depart by 8 am, and from there it's smooth sailing. However, if you end up arriving late, or customs is slow, or there's heavy traffic to JFK, you may have difficulties.

If your flight is international, this is even more dangerous, as the security line can be extremely long out of JFK T1.

We always self debark so that's not a problem. Our flight options were 12:30 or 5:00. I guess we'll just cross our fingers & hope for the best. If we miss our flight, we'll deal with it. It's too late to change our flight so I'm not going to worry about it until we miss it..............

Thank you! That's just what I needed to hear!

Well, Newark is quite close to the cruise port and JFK is further away on much busier roads, and of course, you're not driving through (crosstown!) Manhattan traffic first to get to Newark.

It's almost certainly going to be fine, but a 12:30 departure time is aggressive.

Edited by gergles

Well, Newark is quite close to the cruise port and JFK is further away on much busier roads, and of course, you're not driving through (crosstown!) Manhattan traffic first to get to Newark.

It's almost certainly going to be fine, but a 12:30 departure time is aggressive.

Unfortunately, I apparently made a poor choice & we'll just have to deal with it. I can't think of a worse way to end a vacation than missing the flight home but it is what it is.

It's a short flight & several airlines have flights to Boston so I'm sure we'll get home.......... although we may end up paying an arm & a leg for seats!

Unfortunately, I apparently made a poor choice & we'll just have to deal with it. I can't think of a worse way to end a vacation than missing the flight home but it is what it is.

It's a short flight & several airlines have flights to Boston so I'm sure we'll get home.......... although we may end up paying an arm & a leg for seats!

Sorry, I don't intend to make you worry that much! I mostly wanted to emphasize you should hustle off the ship and over to JFK. You have a good chance of making it, just don't dawdle, and make sure you use the other taxi stand.

Just a thought...Amtrak is much cheaper than flying. More flight options too. We do it all the time.

Sorry, I don't intend to make you worry that much! I mostly wanted to emphasize you should hustle off the ship and over to JFK. You have a good chance of making it, just don't dawdle, and make sure you use the other taxi stand.

Thanks for the clarification. The other taxi stand is directly across the street? Easily identifiable? I don't mean to sound like an idiot but since I need to hustle, I don't want to waste time moving in the wrong direction..........

Thanks for the clarification. The other taxi stand is directly across the street? Easily identifiable? I don't mean to sound like an idiot but since I need to hustle, I don't want to waste time moving in the wrong direction..........

Correct...directly across the street. Defiantly grab a porter, they have express lanes thru customs, and will take you across the street, right to the cabs. You should make the flight without worry.

Safe sailing

Please check the ports forum to info about getting to Newark. My understanding was that taxis do not like to go across the river into New Jersey, and they don't have to take the fare. You might look into Dial777 car service as an alternative, they get very high reviews.

Last time we went form NYC to Newark we had a ship bus transfer which was very smooth... not sure why NCL wouldn't have that option but if they don't be sure or your alternatives.

And as others have said Newark is very close. And you woll likely get in well before 10 am. NCL changed our arrival time form 8am to 10am also, in Houston... a new wrinkle. oh well.

m--