Breakaway left 3 passengers in Bermuda today

LrgPizza

Folks on the front page of your Freestyle Daily is column with all important information, including emergency contact & port Agent information. Take it with you. Run into a problem, follow the instructions & you are less likely to be left since the ship will know where you are.

Yes I'm sure Mom wanted to help, but these are adults & they need to be responsible. If they were late for work because they were drinking, what would happen? Fired perhaps? This may be a cheap lesson in the long run.

Mistakes happen, but you have to live with the consequences.

I love watching "runners!"

Me too, we call it the show and we make sure we're on our balcony with a drink in hand to watch it if we're docked on our balcony side.

I like watching them run for it, but would feel awful if I saw someone left behind.

Is it that hard to look at the time on the daily what sailway time is and to get there before the ship leaves one behind? I could had sworn Bermuda's departure time was 3pm and one need to get on board at 2:30-2:45pm - if you can't keep time and stay with a schedule, cruising is not for you.......

If it's that close you think they would have held up 10 minutes knowing the situation. They changed the departure time to leave to save on fuel costs, as they've done with almost all of the other ports ahead of the long haul back to the departure port, so there shouldn't be an issue with port charges.

Too bad Mom didn't leave to get the girls at the all aboard time instead of the sailing time.

I agree it's their responsibility to be back on time, just hearing how close the pirate ship is makes the call to wait easier under the circumstances.

I guess I'll see it for myself on Sunday :)

We know that the mom got off to look for or be with the girls. We do not know that she knew that they were late because they were at Calico Jacks. We certainly don't know that the ship's crew knew that they were at Calico Jacks.

I guess none of the details really matter. They were late, missed the ship, end of story. Black and white. Except nothing in life is black and white. We'll never know the entire story so no sense in speculating (which is what I and everyone else is doing). Three sides to every story. The three people, NCL's and the truth.

Well, ...... no. This is bad info.

I do remember just 5 years ago on the Captain and crew would call out the names of people who have not boarded on time. Seemed like just about every port the ships were waiting and extra hour or two. Now they don't play the baby sitting games and don't call out the names anymore, they just sail away.

Things do happen and problems can occur but the truth of the matter is, if you treat adults like children they will act like CHILDREN. The babysitting days appear to be over, be on time, or bring your wallet and passport with you when you port. :cool:

Not true about them not calling out names anymore. I just got off the Dawn yesterday. They called out at least two names before we left Bermuda.

Okay, if I'm reading this correctly the girls were late and partying at Calico Jacks. Mom got off the ship to go get them. NCL knows that Mom has gotten off the ship to get them (an assumption, I know) but, why would they then allow her to leave knowing that the ship is fixing to leave? And then leaves them anyway. I really wish I could put all the blame on the girls. They had no business not keeping track of time and were completely in the wrong on that score. But it sounds like NCL was fully Mom had gone to get them. Am I missing something here? I am not trying to put the full blame on NCL by ANY means, but, come on.

My take is the mom knew all 3 would be missing the ship and had the needed docs with her and then some...the ship knew she was getting to basically "rescue" the girls and wasn't expecting her back

Mom did the right thing and it actually is quite logical that ncl may have been well aware that she was not leaving her daughters stranded without docs etc.

Since everyone here is so seasoned a cruiser then you would know that it is not at all unusual for a family member to stay behind and wait with docs clothes money etc

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

We could hear the party from our balcony the bar is that close. To bad it happened, bad way to end a great cruise!

1440286481849.jpg.564e0c4d5ada287338a0ec361e3d3941.jpg

Edited by gmazz

This is free advertising for Calico Jacks! Never even knew the placed existed. Do they have good sandwhiches? Could be a good place to chill out at after 18 holes of fungolf

I don' t think they serve food. It is a bar, a party boat. They have loud music and a platform from which people were jumping into the water.

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

We could hear the party from our balcony the bar is that close. To bad it happened, bad way to end a great cruise!

Oh....They really don't have an excuse for missing the ship - I just looked at the Facebook of Calico Jacks and it shows the Breakaway in the background from the front on the docks :https://www.facebook.com/CalicoJacksBermuda

How do you miss that?

Seems like poor parenting to let the kids go to a bar like right before the ship is leaving. I wonder if the parties involved are CC members it would be interesting to read their account of what happened.

Kids should have been supervised and somewhere like the Royal Naval Dockyard museum learning about Bermuda's rich culture. Also, the ship has plenty of bars as well that would have been a better alternative.

Finally, though we have a topic to divert ourserlves from DSC increases etc... which is a good thing!

Seems like poor parenting to let the kids go to a bar like right before the ship is leaving. I wonder if the parties involved are CC members it would be interesting to read their account of what happened.

Kids should have been supervised and somewhere like the Royal Naval Dockyard museum learning about Bermuda's rich culture. Also, the ship has plenty of bars as well that would have been a better alternative.

Finally, though we have a topic to divert ourserlves from DSC increases etc... which is a good thing!

I expect they must have been at least 18, that is the drinking age in Bermuda so I would not call them kids.

Edited by Charles4515

I knew it! I was watching the web cam yesterday and wondering why the gangway was still down at 2:50, 20 minutes past all aboard, and said to another who was watching with me "there must be people still missing from the ship or that gangway would be up and the door closed." Shortly after that the gangway came up and the ship left. I figured someone was left behind. May that never be me! :eek:

They are in their 20s for corn's sake. If they were mine, I would have left them a bag, passports and a credit card on the dock. Real consequences. Now that is parenting.

They are in their 20s for corn's sake. If they were mine, I would have left them a bag, passports and a credit card on the dock. Real consequences. Now that is parenting.

Right....great idea....leave your 2 young vulnerable and probably drunk 20 something daughters stranded with a bag and have them figure a way home

It is obvious you do not have 20 year old daughters

Regardless of what you or anyone thinks of these 2 girls.....your suggestion is a BAD one

Momma bear getting off the ship was the right thing to do

And the teaching of the lesson is that the 2 girls cover the return home costs for all 3 of them

Disclaimer: no one in my family ever stops at these kinds of bars...including my 19...20 and 24 year old daughters....

But a parent DOES NOT leave daughters these ages behind to teach a lesson. That is plain idiocy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our very first cruise, the Captain said, "If you're late back this afternoon, make sure you have your camera, because you can get a beautiful shot of the ship while it's sailing away." That was a good enough warning for me.

Only if the person actually sailed with one. They aren't required, and many still choose to sail without them.

Regardless, the ship will send ashore whatever documentation that was in their possession. U.S. citizens who choose to sail without a passport must also travel with some form of ID (drivers license, etc.) AND a proof of citizenship (birth certificate, etc.).

It is no coincidence that those two items are exactly what the U.S. Embassy or consulate needs to grant a quick temporary passport for return to the states.