Breakaway left 3 passengers in Bermuda today

LrgPizza

We nearly missed the ship in Lisbon. We were on a private trip, had asked the people organising it to be back at 4pm, one hour before the ship left. Neither of us were wearing watches ( something we will NEVER do again), the trip was late back, we had to run for the gangway, much to the amusement of the balcony watchers.

Was that our fault, possibly, but we trusted the organisers to get us back at the time we asked!

So to all those who were hard on the ladies, please don't be unless you know the circumstances of the delay.

There is always the chance it will happen to you!

Our legal system classifies alcohol addiction as a disease. Would you make the same comments if the people suffered seizures or any other debilitating disease that prevented them from getting to the ship ??

Think before you post !!

That is a confusing comment out of context. Was there a post about alcoholism that got deleted?

I do remember just 5 years ago on the Captain and crew would call out the names of people who have not boarded on time. Seemed like just about every port the ships were waiting and extra hour or two. Now they don't play the baby sitting games and don't call out the names anymore, they just sail away.

Things do happen and problems can occur but the truth of the matter is, if you treat adults like children they will act like CHILDREN. The babysitting days appear to be over, be on time, or bring your wallet and passport with you when you port. :cool:

Mom is never going to let that go for decades...:eek:

And I also bet the mom reminded them to be on time and was told she was overreacting

And if the girls are old enough to drink they are old enough to have jobs...be it summer or full time....

If they were mine.... i would charge the return air tix on my card which I would have with me along with the passports because moms know to think a few steps ahead..and the kids would be immediately transferring the funds to my account to pay for the tix....including mine since i had get off too...

my kids would not even flinch at this because they know to take responsibility

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

I think it is the passenger's responsibility to make it back to the ship on time. All one has to do is wear a watch or have a cell phone set to that particular port's time and be cognizant of what time it is and how long it will take to get back to the ship.

" Three passengers missed the departing ship" would be a more accurate headline than " Ship leaves them behind".

Of course but then ncl wouldn't look like the bad guy.....which is the whole purpose of the headline

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This was posted: "Two young ladies in their 20s having too much fun at Calico Jacks, the pirate boat, and totally forgot about the time. Mom had to get off the ship and go get them, and by that time the ship was leaving, mom very very mad. Plan to return one hour before departure, taking it to the last minute is not going to do anything for you."

Okay, if I'm reading this correctly the girls were late and partying at Calico Jacks. Mom got off the ship to go get them. NCL knows that Mom has gotten off the ship to get them (an assumption, I know) but, why would they then allow her to leave knowing that the ship is fixing to leave? And then leaves them anyway. I really wish I could put all the blame on the girls. They had no business not keeping track of time and were completely in the wrong on that score. But it sounds like NCL was fully Mom had gone to get them. Am I missing something here? I am not trying to put the full blame on NCL by ANY means, but, come on.

Edited by tarps14

Okay, if I'm reading this correctly the girls were late and partying at Calico Jacks. Mom got off the ship to go get them. NCL knows that Mom has gotten off the ship to get them (an assumption, I know) but, why would they then allow her to leave knowing that the ship is fixing to leave? And then leaves them anyway. I really wish I could put all the blame on the girls. They had no business not keeping track of time and were completely in the wrong on that score. But it sounds like NCL was fully Mom had gone to get them. Am I missing something here? I am not trying to put the full blame on NCL by ANY means, but, come on.

NCL has no culpability in this at all. If Mom wanted to get off the ship close to the time the ship was leaving that's on her. NCL isn't going to detain her.

Okay, if I'm reading this correctly the girls were late and partying at Calico Jacks. Mom got off the ship to go get them. NCL knows that Mom has gotten off the ship to get them so why would they allow her to leave knowing that the ship is fixing to leave? And then leaves them anyway. I really wish I could put all the blame on the girls. They had no business not keeping track of time and were completely in the wrong on that score. But it sounds like NCL was fully aware Mom had gone to get them. Am I missing something here? I am not trying to put the full blame on NCL by ANY means, but, come on.

NCL are blameless in this scenario. Mum and kids knew the time - that last drink has cost them big-time. They are adults - they take responsibility for their actions/omissions. It is not an intellectually challenging feat to return to the ship in time to sail with the ship.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for them.

I guess none of the details really matter. They were late, missed the ship, end of story. Black and white. Except nothing in life is black and white. We'll never know the entire story so no sense in speculating (which is what I and everyone else is doing). Three sides to every story. The three people, NCL's and the truth.

Edited by tarps14

I guess none of the details really matter. They were late, missed the ship, end of story. Black and white. Except nothing in life is black and white. We'll never know the entire story so no sense in speculating (which is what I and everyone else is doing). Three sides to every story. The three people, NCL's and the truth.

Huh?? How could it be any simpler? You said it yourself! They were late, missed the ship, end of story.

Is it your contention that NCL should have known why mom was leaving the ship? Should NCL be the nanny and hold everyone's hand?

Sorry, but there are NOT three sides to this story. Just one. They were late, missed the ship, end of story.

NCL has no culpability in this at all. If Mom wanted to get off the ship close to the time the ship was leaving that's on her. NCL isn't going to detain her.

And I bet NCL gang plank people told her it was not a good idea to disembark .

I would assume any responsible mother would not leave her children (regardless of their age) behind in a strange port.

Exactly. If it were my children no one would be able to stop me from getting off and looking for them. I think some are suggesting that the ship should have waited since they may have known where Mom was going. Doesn't it cost the cruise line more in docking fees if they don't leave on time though? I thought that was true but maybe not. In any case, how long do you wait. 30 minutes, 45 minutes, you have no way of knowing when the missing passengers are going to show up.

The pirate ship bar in Bermuda is even closer to the ship than Señor Frog's is in Nassau. It's incredibly close. I can't believe that they didn't realize that the crowd there had to be dwindling as sail away time neared.

It would have dwindled but maybe not enough to notice. There still would be passengers there from Summit which leaves at 4:30. I was on Summit a few months ago and almost stopped by there for a drink at 2:30 since that would have been plenty of time. As you say it is incredibly close. Those who have not been to Bermuda or Bermuda this year might think it is an exageration how close. I was wondering how they got permission to dock the Pirate Boat there. Those girls most have been tipsy.

Edited by Charles4515

It would have dwindled but maybe not enough to notice. There still would be passengers there from Summit which leaves at 4:30. I was on Summit a few months ago and almost stopped by there for a drink at 2:30 since that would have been plenty of time. As you say it is incredibly close. Those who have not been to Bermuda or Bermuda this year might think it is an exageration how close. I was wondering how they got permission to dock the Pirate Boat there. Those girls most have been tipsy.

It would not be unreasonable to think that someone may have slipped a drug into their drinks. We really don't know the reason, and will probably never know, so the matter should be put to rest. At least, their mother made a typical responsible "mother move" to take care of the problem.

If it's that close you think they would have held up 10 minutes knowing the situation. They changed the departure time to leave to save on fuel costs, as they've done with almost all of the other ports ahead of the long haul back to the departure port, so there shouldn't be an issue with port charges.

Too bad Mom didn't leave to get the girls at the all aboard time instead of the sailing time.

I agree it's their responsibility to be back on time, just hearing how close the pirate ship is makes the call to wait easier under the circumstances.

I guess I'll see it for myself on Sunday :)

I was watching the webcam yesterday and saw 2 runners (man and woman) running frantically on the pier...Lucky for them they made it on but not without some cheers and jeers from the other fellow passengers watching..lol.

I watched for a few more minutes and at about 3:12pm Bermuda time the gang way was removed. I stopped watching after that. Now I wish I had kept watching!

I love watching "runners!"