Oosterdam Cabin next to glass elevators

Chrome Diva

We just returned from a cruise on Oosterdam Jan 2017. We had a guarantee room and were assigned Cabin 7073 the week before we embarked. This is right next to the outside elevator on aft starboard side. I will try to clear up some misconceptions about the elevator rooms.

First the bad: yes, you can very clearly see onto the balconies (verandas) of the 2 adjacent cabins next to the elevators. Also when there were no elevators at our floor (which was most of the time), the balcony across elevators and ours may as well been connected... we could clearly see their entire balcony and they could see ours. For those saying that most people on elevator are only interested in looking out at water, this is not true. People look wherever they are facing, especially when there are 4-5 people on board. When elevator stops on your deck, if there was someone looking out the side, they most definitely will be looking at you. Most people would look over and look away. But it is only natural to look out.

In my opinion, this is a terrible design flaw by HAL that could easily be remedied by extending the black glass between elevator and the adjacent balcony by about 2 - 2.5 feet. I guess cruise line was concerned with aesthetics and that is why the current design exists (?).

Now the good: There is no visibility AT ALL at night from the elevators onto the balcony. We tested it several times... like the room itself, as long as the balcony is unlit, you cannot see anything which is a huge plus! Second, the elevator made absolutely no noise whatsoever. No bings, whistles, noise from crowds, etc. Husband is very light sleeper and he had no problem, nor did I. I thought neon elevator lights going up and down would be issue at night, but we never saw them. We had 2 heavy smokers on our other side - both hacked like they were coughing up a lung. The smell carried over horribly so we were grateful to have no occupants on elevator side. We were close to elevators midship which was very convenient for access and for quickly finding cabin. No issue with losing a small corner of the balcony for elevator cutout.

The Fix: Not recommending this fix for everyone... but my husband and I value our privacy very much. It was really awkward sitting on our balcony during the day or with a glass of wine at sunset and watching people gawk from elevator. I'm sure they were embarrassed too. After 2 days of this, I resorted to my pre-planned fix. I had stopped at Dollar Store before cruise and bought 2 things: 1) a $1 plastic table cover (I chose solid black for aesthetic reasons) and 2) a $1 roll of black duct tape. When we were in port, I very hastily and awkwardly taped the double thick table cover (folded in half) up to a steel flange at top of balcony and down side and bottom. The bottom hung inside balcony glass. Voila - no one could see in our balcony from elevator and we could not see them. We did not need plastic to go out more than about 2-3 feet and we only had to angle the top portion. I attached a photo - this pic was taken after a few days of sailing so it's a little ragged but you get the point. We only needed this much coverage to block our seating and table areas from elevator view. (Again, I am so confused why HAL would not have installed something like this permanently on the end balconies.) I was concerned the plastic would have been removed by staff after first day, but no one had any issue with it whatsoever. I removed when we got back into port on last day.

Bottom Line: the cruise line and cruise was nothing short of fantastic! The privacy issue was there but the good outweighed the bad... by a long shot! The cabin was absolutely gorgeous and the staff was very very good. If you happen to get a cabin next to elevator and it bothers you, consider the $2 for tape and plastic table cover as a blocker. Just be safe about hanging it!!! We had 2 people to hang when we were in port and we never reached over the rail itself. You can hang by placing chair against wall, not rail. (Chair in picture was unintentionally placed where it is.)

Hope this info is helpful!

CameraZOOM-20170104184255549.jpg.aa751f901facad4835f0dc03ddce3502.jpg

Or, HAL could simply install privacy partitions for the very few affected balconies and keep the external glass elevators for those of us who enjoy them.

igraf

Thanks for the photos.

That is how I remember it from the ship. I always wonder if those cabins are "guarentees" mostly. Can't imagine booking one! I guess this is another good reason for HAL dropping these elevators on the newbuild.

I would not want that verandah. I've been in that elevator so many times and there is little privacy. It isn't I'm doing anything private on the verandah but I'd feel like a lot of sightseers were peering at me. :D

Having ridden those elevators many times I never had an urge to look at the balconies when I had the wide, open ocean to look at. :)

OK, once I looked and took pictures because of what I have read here but the elevator moves so fast you don't see much.

If I had a choice, I would not choose one of these staterooms. That's just me. Some who have stayed in these staterooms seem quick to defend them, which is fine. I just prefer the privacy which the majority of other balcony staterooms offer.

We were on the Oosterdam in December. It might have been a fluke but it seemed like we were the only passengers taking the glass elevators. We would hold the elevator for other passengers and they repeatedly declined. They did not want to take the glass elevators. It was great for us.

We were on the Oosterdam in December. It might have been a fluke but it seemed like we were the only passengers taking the glass elevators. We would hold the elevator for other passengers and they repeatedly declined. They did not want to take the glass elevators. It was great for us.
We were on the O'dam on the cruise after you and many times had full glass elevators! :) We like to ride them, and missed them on the K'dam in Nov.

Edited by jtl513

We've had those cabins many times. Never a problem. Do you have something to hide? Some see's us on the balcony. Do I care?

That's awesome that your privacy is not important. These cabins then suit you perfectly. Carry on.

But for those of us that do value privacy, it doesn't mean we're "hiding" something. Whether someone is stargazing, chatting, reading, or just sitting in boxers smoking a cigar on their balcony, it's their prerogative what they choose to do and there's an expectation of privacy in their own space. (Every balcony of every cruise ship we've been on is made private with solid side panels, so I think cruise lines get this concept as well.)

I was thinking about the elevator riders too, it must be really uncomfortable to be riding and staring out into space one minute then you're staring at someone in their pj's on their own deck the next, like you're a voyeur jettisoned into the scene. It's just plain awkward for everyone. :cool: We did not ride the outside elevators for that reason. You never know what you're gonna see.

That's awesome that your privacy is not important. These cabins then suit you perfectly. Carry on.

But for those of us that do value privacy, it doesn't mean we're "hiding" something. Whether someone is stargazing, chatting, reading, or just sitting in boxers smoking a cigar on their balcony, it's their prerogative what they choose to do and there's an expectation of privacy in their own space. (Every balcony of every cruise ship we've been on is made private with solid side panels, so I think cruise lines get this concept as well.)

I was thinking about the elevator riders too, it must be really uncomfortable to be riding and staring out into space one minute then you're staring at someone in their pj's on their own deck the next, like you're a voyeur jettisoned into the scene. It's just plain awkward for everyone. :cool: We did not ride the outside elevators for that reason. You never know what you're gonna see.

[bold is mine] The largest window is the one facing the ocean. Even if you're at the side, you don't HAVE TO look out at balconies. And I hope that nobody is smoking a cigar in boxers or anything else, as balcony smoking is no longer allowed. (You should have reported the heavy smokers near you--or was this before the ban took effect?)

I'm surprised that the ship didn't make you take down your makeshift privacy screen. You say it was getting "ragged," which means bits could blow off.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I'm not sure what would be worse for these cabins, people peering at your balcony or the noise from the very busy area just metres from your doorway. Six elevators, a staircase and the four corridors leading to it generate quite a din. Plus the crew staircase across the hall from you, which would be REALLY noisy as they hauled out baggage overnight prior to disembarkation.

We love these cabins. As for noise, NONE. We have never been awaken or heard any noise. As for "peering" into the veranda. These elevators go by so fast you may get a glimpse and when it stops you have to be in the corner of the elevator to see what the photo shows. I hate to brag on these cabins because we like booking them for the quiet place. OH, and you don't have a next door neighbor to worry about.

Its a matter of taste.

So glad many like those, that there are few left to foist on guarantee appointments.

To have hundreds during the day that fleetingly espy you, as the other balcony across the elevators, just sounds ghastly.

To each their own :)

Edited by OceanTraveller4ever

To :

Good to know. Thanks. :) Smoking comment is definitely one to remember!

And 3rdCunardor : «And I hope that nobody is smoking a cigar in boxers or anything else, as balcony smoking is no longer allowed. (You should have reported the heavy smokers near you--or was this before the ban took effect?)»

And Stratheden : « and 50% less chance of having a smoker next to you…»

STOP blaming the smokers ! (Wrong thread anyway…)

Have fun and pleaaaaaase (sic) let live the people who doesn't act like YOU ! You are not ALONE for sake !

And, believe it or not, I dont wear boxer shorts…

Holacanada from Quebec City

Edited by holacanada

Just booked 8073 on the Westerdam next to the Glaselevators.

We discussed a long time the pros and cons...

First of all the cabin is in a central position, you don't have to walk a long way to get to your room... we don't care about Noise cause we Never read anything about it ... and privacy... we had neighbours on other cruises hanging over their balcony so they can see what we are doing...

The privacy was lost here also and we used theses elevators on the Eurodam and never looked at a balcony... so we booked it :)