Should Latitude points be forfeitable?

SteveH2508

This is a slightly tongue-in-cheek post to gather opinions as to whether Latitudes points should be able to be removed and in what circumstances.

It was inspired by another thread about people missing the ship at a port and wondering whether they would get their points for their (incomplete) cruise.

It could morph into a discussion about whether the current system is sustainable; should NCL consider the HAL method of getting points for on-board spend; etc..

How about as a starter:

If you remove the DSC for a day, you lose the Latitude point(s) for that day (unless you have a verifiable service issue)?

It sounds like a bookkeeping headache for the cruise.

Of course those who cut their cruise short get their points. They still paid for the points. If they got part of the money back, then maybe they should have to forfeit points.

At the end of the day you don't get much so what difference does it really make?

On a serious note though, I am pretty amazed at how generous the loyalty schemes have remained in the industry. When compared to the aviation and hotel sector where the programmes seem to be the first target in cost saving.

For example, The free drinks on RCL in the diamond lounge surely must lose significant bar revenue. NCL seem to have one of the more reserved and sensible reward schemes.

I can't help thinking that it will just take one of the big boys to move the schemes to revenue based or expiration dates on points. Maybe even different points for lower fares vs more flexible fares?

On a serious note though, I am pretty amazed at how generous the loyalty schemes have remained in the industry. When compared to the aviation and hotel sector where the programmes seem to be the first target in cost saving.

For example, The free drinks on RCL in the diamond lounge surely must lose significant bar revenue. NCL seem to have one of the more reserved and sensible reward schemes.

I can't help thinking that it will just take one of the big boys to move the schemes to revenue based or expiration dates on points. Maybe even different points for lower fares vs more flexible fares?

I believe that P&O have expiry built into their top level tier and HAL have a revenue based extra (1 point for $300 OB spend I think).

NCL reflects the fare point to an extent (extra points for suites).

NCL's scheme is not bad (we made platinum so I am a bit biased I guess:D). They could perhaps look at a higher level (after say 200+ points). Maybe they should think about a better gift at those higher points levels e.g pass X points - get a free UBP or something for the next cruise. Just random thoughts.

Well on my last cruise with NCL the Cruise Consultant said the LAtitudes program was being updated and would show up within the year. He also hinted that it would be similar to oceania cruises. I would not be surprised they will add 2 more tiers and harder to get to :-). I am also a Platinum.

Edited by qtaromar1970

Well on my last cruise with NCL the Cruise Consultant said the LAtitudes program was being updated and would show up within the year. He also hinted that it would be similar to oceania cruises. I would not be surprised they will add 2 more tiers and harder to get to :-). I am also a Platinum.

I'm for that, Oceania even has free cruises for loyal customers!

I'm for that, Oceania even has free cruises for loyal customers!

yes but the point system if not impossible is very difficult to achieve, but agree they offer free cruises when you reach diamond level i think. If that is true then NCL would go back to the point system it used to have. It used to be like this:

1-7 cruises you were bronze

8-13 cruises you were silver

14-20 cruises you were gold

21 and above you were Platinum

but this last system changed to the new one back in 2010 i believe

Edited by qtaromar1970

it might be interesting to add another level.... Palladium, do you think or Diamond... or both?

Quartz - Zero days

Bronze

Silver

Gold

Platinum: 76-99

Diamond: 100-199

Titanium: 200-299

Dilithium: 300-399

Adamantium: 400-499

Tanzanite: 500+

Well, we haven't even reached Gold yet but it might be interesting to add another level.... Palladium, do you think or Diamond... or both?

PS. we will be Platinum after our next cruises... 25 days total, 13 in a suite, think it should do it.

One of your signature abbreviations is amiss. ;)

Quartz - Zero days

Bronze

Silver

Gold

Platinum: 76-99

Diamond: 100-199

Titanium: 200-299

Dilithium: 300-399

Adamantium: 400-499

Tanzanite: 500+

Nah - gold-pressed latinum - it will take to the 24th century to reach that level:eek:.

Oh, I know!

How about issuing "citations" for annoying passengers. And then they have to pay the ticket with their latitude points.

For example...

- Late returning to ship: 1 point per minute

- Caught using your hands instead of serving pieces in the buffet: 10 points

- Caught smoking on your balcony: 25 points

- Getting drunk in public and making an ass of yourself : well, that's just priceless in my book.

There could be a whole chart of penalties and NCL could post them all over the ship, even in staterooms!

How about a special feature on iConcierge to report the heinous offenders?

Oh, then you could reward the people who turn in the offenders with latitude points!! It would be such a fun cruise and it would keep passengers busy!!

Wow, I'm a genius!! I wonder if I could get a job implementing this program on all cruise ships?

P.s. if anyone thinks I'm actually serious, you can find a picture of yourself in the dictionary. Just look under "gullible" :p:p:p

Edited by Misskitty72

Oh no!!! Foiled by my own creation!!

I forgot to integrate an appeals process into the program!!! :D

Good thing some of us don't cruise for the loyalty program anymore because quite frankly it means JACK to the cruise lines. I for one cruise for the itineraries and just plain comfort :-)

Oh, I know!

How about issuing "citations" for annoying passengers. And then they have to pay the ticket with their latitude points.

For example...

- Late returning to ship: 1 point per minute

- Caught using your hands instead of serving pieces in the buffet: 10 points

- Caught smoking on your balcony: 25 points

- Getting drunk in public and making an ass of yourself : well, that's just priceless in my book.

There could be a whole chart of penalties and NCL could post them all over the ship, even in staterooms!

How about a special feature on iConcierge to report the heinous offenders?

Oh, then you could reward the people who turn in the offenders with latitude points!! It would be such a fun cruise and it would keep passengers busy!!

Wow, I'm a genius!! I wonder if I could get a job implementing this program on all cruise ships?

P.s. if anyone thinks I'm actually serious, you can find a picture of yourself in the dictionary. Just look under "gullible" :p:p:p

I actually found this amusing ... How about the brig for the jerks who come on board virulently ill and spread it around. Too many cases of pneumonia to count. Awesome. :cool: