Additional tips

skedaddle43

CPO Campus Police officer

No chip on my shoulder. No, it is not my responsibility to make sure people are recognized on my vacation.

I get a EPR ( employee performance review)each year which means nothing, no raise, nada.Yes I do get exceeds, I do my job to the best of my ability.

I think it is great that some people go out of their way to recognize staff but I do not go on vacation to worry about how other people are being taken care of I do that all year long.

I don't think it is fair to newbie cruisers reading some of these posts thinking/

worrying about how to tip or recognize staff. Not saying I don't ever tip extra but not my top priority on my vacation.

Reader

Although I may have missed it, I don't remember anybody in this thread saying that anybody should go on vacation to worry about how other people are taken care of. You, I and the vast majority of others going on cruises all do it for the same reason, not to worry about things but to get away from those worries. The original poster asked a question (shown below) and people responded, as did you. I guess the word "responsibility" is where you and I disagree.

If I visit your campus to see a sports event I go there for enjoyment. If something occurs during that time and you do one heck of a job controlling, directing, informing or whatever, then I believe that I have a responsibility to you and to your employer to do something that says "Officer Reader 0108598 did a heck of a fine job last week when she....." so that you (hopefully) are recognized in some way. Conversely if you are rude, insulting, etc. then you should be reported. But if I ask you "Can I park here?" or something similar and you just tell me "Yes, but only for 10 minutes." or something similar, no, I have no responsibility there at all. I guess it just comes down to a matter of degree.

That said, as I look back at what I wrote, perhaps I should not have said that it appeared to me that you had a chip on your shoulder. If you took that as an insult, I do apologize as that was not the way it was intended. I could have worded that much better.

Tom

I plan to tip our steward on first encounter hoping to make an impression on him even though we are minimally demanding cruisers, but not sure how much to tip. We are keeping the automatic gratuity in place and I'm sure he will have access to that information. Any suggestions? It is 7 days to Alaska.
Edited by Pierlesscruisers

But they are easy to exchange on board with the crew purser.

As I said, "at ports of call". ;)

The exchange rate onboard isn't good, even for the staff, from what we were told. So two singles exchanged/spent at a port will offer more bang for the buck.;)

Really? If one pays a daily gratuity, when did it become their RESONSIBILITY to add to that?:rolleyes: Because "everyone" doesn't agree with your tipping habits ( adding more or not) doesn't make them irresponsible. Geez.

Why the need to attack cruisers who have a different opinion? I never get why a differing opinion is seen as some kind of sin. I see different opinions as a way to open my mind. Not make judgements.

I don't believe I attacked anyone, merely expressed an opinion on another's viewpoint. I don't view your comments on what I posted as an attack on what I said, just a different opinion. The original poster asked a question about tipping beyond the auto tip (see below) and people responded. Perhaps the question boils down to where a person draws the line between what is a comment on an expressed viewpoint and what is an attack on an expressed viewpoint.

Tom

I plan to tip our steward on first encounter hoping to make an impression on him even though we are minimally demanding cruisers, but not sure how much to tip. We are keeping the automatic gratuity in place and I'm sure he will have access to that information. Any suggestions? It is 7 days to Alaska.

Strictly my opinion on tipping, and my apologies for the length but I wanted to share our thought process:

{Deleted to save space.}

That in and of itself is like leaving an extra tip for them.

Goodpoints. I certainlly wouldn't want to be a room steward at all. One of the few good points to being a steward is that at least you're not out in the weather and are able to stay warm and dry all the time! :rolleyes: Of course, if you like rainy, cool weather then that probably isn't an advantage! :p

Tom

The exchange rate onboard isn't good, even for the staff, from what we were told. So two singles exchanged/spent at a port will offer more bang for the buck.;)

The exchange rate is excellent.

Can exchange a $2 bill on board for two $1.00 bills.

I don't believe I attacked anyone, merely expressed an opinion on another's viewpoint. I don't view your comments on what I posted as an attack on what I said, just a different opinion. The original poster asked a question about tipping beyond the auto tip (see below) and people responded. Perhaps the question boils down to where a person draws the line between what is a comment on an expressed viewpoint and what is an attack on an expressed viewpoint.

Tom

You were correct when you stated to Reader that your choice of words was questionable. ;)

You set a negative tone (that stands out in this thread) when you admonish adults for something YOU feel their RESPONSIBLITY is. Just came on a little too strong to a few of us.

The exchange rate is excellent.

Can exchange a $2 bill on board for two $1.00 bills.

Gottcha , Caribill:D I was thinking about converting to another currency.

We saw a couple leave a two dollar bill for a server on one of the Carib islands and the server actually asked for "something else" because they couldn't use it.

Edited by eandj

That said, as I look back at what I wrote, perhaps I should not have said that it appeared to me that you had a chip on your shoulder. If you took that as an insult, I do apologize as that was not the way it was intended. I could have worded that much better.

Tom

Thank you Tom I appreciate that.

Reader

Yeah, I get what you are saying. I guess it's not really a problem. For us, while we were working and taking a cruise as a vacation we wanted to make sure that everyone was enjoying the event. We would make sure that we greeted all the cruise staff with a friendly smile, a thank you for doing their job and would take a couple of minutes that did something "above the call". It gave us pleasure to do this and I got to believe it made a difference with them.

Now that we are retired we do this even more because we recognize what these folks are doing to make a living, being away from home for over 6 months or more at a time and doing a job that really sucks when they have to work with some of the arrogant passengers that frequent these voyages.

If you have a minute to recognize good work take that time to write a comment card - can't hurt.

I have been on 26 cruises and I can only remember two that we had terrible cabin stewards........ We have had fun friendly people as our cabin stewards we treat people as they treat us. We always engage in conversations about home, we are very neat and do not add to their cleaning.

I always leave the auto tip on and some times tip extra. I have also filled out comment cards . I just think it is up to the individual how they want to handle this issue ,not about what others think you should do.

Enjoy your retirement, I am sure you earned it! :)

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Really? If one pays a daily gratuity, when did it become their RESONSIBILITY to add to that?:rolleyes: Because "everyone" doesn't agree with your tipping habits ( adding more or not) doesn't make them irresponsible. Geez.

Why the need to attack cruisers who have a different opinion? I never get why a differing opinion is seen as some kind of sin. I see different opinions as a way to open my mind. Not make judgements.

Where is that Like button!! Lol:)

Reader

You were correct when you stated to Reader that your choice of words was questionable. ;)

You set a negative tone (that stands out in this thread) when you admonish adults for something YOU feel their RESPONSIBLITY is. Just came on a little too strong to a few of us.

Darn, still looking for that Like button...:D

Reader

So what is the difference between paying someone off before you receive any services to ensure that you will get better service than the next guy and a bribe. Sounds like the same thing to me.

BTW - do you pay off servers in restaurants before the meal. Do you tip the guys at the car wash before they wash your car? Do you give your barber or hair dresser before they cut or style your hair. Do you pay off the car park people when you part your car instead of when you pick yp your car? Do you tip the dealers in Las Vegas before you start gambling instead of after you win?

So why is it somehow different if you are on a cruise ship? Please explain it to me as I totally do not understand.

DON

No to everything above EXCEPT if it is valet parking, where yes indeed I have received an advantage by providing such a bribe/tip on several occasions. Have you ever been at an event where everyone tries to leave at the same time? If you are in my car, you are likely to wait 5 minutes rather than 55 minutes in the valet line.

I have never tipped up front on a cruise however unless like others it was in acknowledgement of extra/special requests. I tip as I go at the bars because I am always afraid I will not be able to get to everyone on the last day.

Edited by CoffeHound
changed highlight color

Tom

Thank you Tom I appreciate that.

Reader

ou're quite selcome!

Tom

A slight aside on notes.

Always use the persons name, helps show you really have got to know them.

THANK YOU! That simple point makes a LOT of sense to me. It is now sternly noted down on the Cruise Tips Notepad for future reference!

Trying to deal with a pesky "End Of Winter Cold" here, so pretty miserable with a dripping nose. Have noted to start vitamin supplementation at least 3 months before I cruise, so the risks of an infection should be "controlled" as much as possible.. Again, that was a tip on Cruise Critic, something about First Aid Supplies-brain a bit foggy at present! :eek:

While I know your on vacation, but if you leave your do not disturb sign up all day please take 10 seconds to let them know they do not need to service your room that day so they can work 10 hours instead of 15. That in and of itself is like leaving an extra tip for them.

Good to know.

While we always sign up for per-paid gratuities!

I always carry a stack of cash just for "Special Considerations" (Tipping)! On our 14 day Hawaiian cruise, we took $2 bills (they love them), $5 bills and $10 bills. (They know that the $2 bills are not funny money.) I use the $2's for early morning coffee & $5’s with coffee, juice & roll delivery and $5 for two bar drinks. Also using the $5’s & $10’s for porters/luggage handlers, tour guides & tour drivers and use the $10’s for service at specialty restaurants and good waiters in the MDR. (When & If I tip, it is because I expect and enjoy the service!) By the way, I never ran out of cash by the time we were on our way home!!

Just Mike

Sorry, but I don't buy the "they love them" about the $2 bills. Would a crew member really show signs that they are unhappy about currency they will have to stand in line to exchange?

Those who give $2 bills, one dollar coins, other type of money that is considered nonstandard (yes, legal tender, but not usually given in change by most banks unless specially requested) seem determined that giving such money is something to be remembered. Well, yes for the wrong reasons.

My mother-in-law of blessed memory would give $50 bills as presents to us. Certainly we would thank her, but inwardly I knew I would have to take them to the bank and deposit them as many stores are not going to accept them as payment. A shame because she would go to the trouble of going to the bank to get them.

When I worked in retail, we would accept them as we sold big ticket items, but we also had a counterfeit detector pen ready to test bills $20 or higher.

THANK YOU! That simple point makes a LOT of sense to me. It is now sternly noted down on the Cruise Tips Notepad for future reference!

Trying to deal with a pesky "End Of Winter Cold" here, so pretty miserable with a dripping nose. Have noted to start vitamin supplementation at least 3 months before I cruise, so the risks of an infection should be "controlled" as much as possible.. Again, that was a tip on Cruise Critic, something about First Aid Supplies-brain a bit foggy at present! :eek:

I hope that cold improves, our doctor has insisted on updated flu shots and typhoid shots and tetnus shots before we go, so i feel a bit like a pin cushion

No to everything above EXCEPT if it is valet parking, where yes indeed I have received an advantage by providing such a bribe/tip on several occasions. Have you ever been at an event where everyone tries to leave at the same time? If you are in my car, you are likely to wait 5 minutes rather than 55 minutes in the valet line.

I have never tipped up front on a cruise however unless like others it was in acknowledgement of extra/special requests. I tip as I go at the bars because I am always afraid I will not be able to get to everyone on the last day.

Tipping Valet parking pays off quite handsomely. On a recent trip to Las Vegas' Golden Nugget the following occurred.

When we needed to get the car, we would order the car at the valet desk and our car would often arrive before the cars of others who had been waiting for much longer. Several times there were comments made by some of the people (usually by the wife's) as to, “how do they get their car first”. (This service came about primarily because I tipped when we dropped the car off and again when we picked it up.) By doing this, they park the car closer and will give you preferential treatment on pickups.

So as previously stated, I believe that you get what you pay for either in price or in tips! Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Just Mike