Additional tips

skedaddle43

A smile goes a long way, and if they've got a minute or two so does asking about the family.

Agree and if we receive exemplary service, at the end of cruise we note that on your survey and fill out a consummate host form in addition to leaving a tip.

Edited by capriccio

If you leave the tip for the steward in an envelope in your cabin at the end of the cruise can you be sure that they are the one that gets it? We sometimes have seen different people other than our regular steward cleaning the cabins on the day we disembark. We have started finding our steward when we leave and personally handing him the tip.

If you leave the tip for the steward in an envelope in your cabin at the end of the cruise can you be sure that they are the one that gets it? We sometimes have seen different people other than our regular steward cleaning the cabins on the day we disembark. We have started finding our steward when we leave and personally handing him the tip.

Yes as long as you leave the auto tip in place. Why not hand it to him? With all the cabin doors open at the end of the cruise I would not leave it laying around.

We give the room steward a tip on the last night as we might not see him disembarkation morning;)

We give the room steward a tip on the last night as we might not see him disembarkation morning;)

We do the same thing. If we don't see our steward in person on the last night, we typically leave the tip with a personal note of thanks on the bed when we leave for dinner.

Agree and if we receive exemplary service, at the end of cruise we note that on your survey and fill out a consummate host form in addition to leaving a tip.

I have been told by crew that a high rating on the surveys is worth way more than any tip (both are nice) because the surveys lead to renewed contracts and promotions and better positions in the ship.

I have been told by crew that a high rating on the surveys is worth way more than any tip (both are nice) because the surveys lead to renewed contracts and promotions and better positions in the ship.

I've heard the same thing & that a commendation of a crewmember on the post cruise survey is even better than the onboard "you made a difference" cards.

I've heard that survey commendations go directly to Princess HQ & are recorded in the crewmember's history before informing the ship. Whatever the procedure is if a crewmember provides great service we give them a card, commend them on our post cruise survey & will give them an additional cash tip.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I've heard the same thing & that a commendation of a crewmember on the post cruise survey is even better than the onboard "you made a difference" cards.

I've heard that survey commendations go directly to Princess HQ & are recorded in the crewmember's history before informing the ship. Whatever the procedure is when a crewmember provides great service we give them a card, commend them on our post cruise survey & will give them an additional cash tip.

A handwritten note to the head of department while still on board goes a looooooong way too.

A handwritten note to the head of department while still on board goes a looooooong way too.

Thanks...good to know because as you posted these are the types of things that help great employees get choice assignments & promotions particularly for career employees.

How do I say this without sounding like a jerk?

I am a 56 year old female ,I work in Security= CPO

I worked 57 hours last week......

When i go on vacation I honestly just need to relax.

Not my responsibility to take care of the cruise lines staff

As I said ,will always leave auto tip on treat everyone with respect

But I am on a well deserved vacation, not there to worry about staff.

If I were a newbie reading some of these posts I would be very worried

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

On the commendation cards it states to either turn in to front desk drop box or hand to the staff member. When we have a glorious review we hand it to the individual. And we have found them very grateful. Watch their faces light up. It means a big plus towards their contract renewals and advancements. Then we add the names on our post cruise Web survey. Hope lots of other cruisers see the value of that small effort.

How do I say this without sounding like a jerk?

I am a 56 year old female ,I work in Security= CPO

I worked 57 hours last week......

When i go on vacation I honestly just need to relax.

Not my responsibility to take care of the cruise lines staff

As I said ,will always leave auto tip on treat everyone with respect

But I am on a well deserved vacation, not there to worry about staff.

If I were a newbie reading some of these posts I would be very worried

Reader

"Not your responsibility to take care of the cruise lines staff" No, but it is your responsibility as well as everybody else's to do their part in seing that people are recognized for going "above and beyond" so to speak. All this has absolutely nothing do do with "worrying about staff." You may be an excellent security person (CPO=Chief Petty Officer? Civilian Police Officer? watever?) but it seems to me that you sound as if you've got a chip on your shoulder or a bit of an attitude to be quite honest about it. I do wonder if you often get any positive comments on your job performance. Hopefully you aren't surrounded by people who feel the same way toward service personnel that you appear to.

Tom

CPO Campus Police officer

No chip on my shoulder. No, it is not my responsibility to make sure people are recognized on my vacation.

I get a EPR ( employee performance review)each year which means nothing, no raise, nada.Yes I do get exceeds, I do my job to the best of my ability.

I think it is great that some people go out of their way to recognize staff but I do not go on vacation to worry about how other people are being taken care of I do that all year long.

I don't think it is fair to newbie cruisers reading some of these posts thinking/

worrying about how to tip or recognize staff. Not saying I don't ever tip extra but not my top priority on my vacation.

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

We have had very good stewards in all our voyages. Our practice is to give the steward a tip usually midway during the voyage as a thanks for the job they are doing and we have never been disappointed. Normally we give them $20 at least.

No chip on my shoulder. No, it is not my responsibility to make sure people are recognized on my vacation.

I get a EPR ( employee performance review)each year which means nothing, no raise, nada.Yes I do get exceeds, I do my job to the best of my ability.

I think it is great that some people go out of their way to recognize staff but I do not go on vacation to worry about how other people are being taken care of I do that all year long.

I don't think it is fair to newbie cruisers reading some of these posts thinking/

worrying about how to tip or recognize staff. Not saying I don't ever tip extra but not my top priority on my vacation.

Reader

I agree. Especially with "my vacation". I submit a card now and again, but it's not always my highest priority the last day or so ... the cream will rise to the top with or without our help.

Mine is slightly the opposite fault. I'm sometimes reluctant to submit the survey because I don't want to say negative things about people.

Edited by Wehwalt

Reader

Yeah, I get what you are saying. I guess it's not really a problem. For us, while we were working and taking a cruise as a vacation we wanted to make sure that everyone was enjoying the event. We would make sure that we greeted all the cruise staff with a friendly smile, a thank you for doing their job and would take a couple of minutes that did something "above the call". It gave us pleasure to do this and I got to believe it made a difference with them.

Now that we are retired we do this even more because we recognize what these folks are doing to make a living, being away from home for over 6 months or more at a time and doing a job that really sucks when they have to work with some of the arrogant passengers that frequent these voyages.

If you have a minute to recognize good work take that time to write a comment card - can't hurt.

While we always sign up for per-paid gratuities!

I always carry a stack of cash just for "Special Considerations" (Tipping)! On our 14 day Hawaiian cruise, we took $2 bills (they love them), $5 bills and $10 bills. (They know that the $2 bills are not funny money.) I use the $2's for early morning coffee & $5’s with coffee, juice & roll delivery and $5 for two bar drinks. Also using the $5’s & $10’s for porters/luggage handlers, tour guides & tour drivers and use the $10’s for service at specialty restaurants and good waiters in the MDR. (When & If I tip, it is because I expect and enjoy the service!) By the way, I never ran out of cash by the time we were on our way home!!

After all, those who provide us with good service and are tipped, look forward to serving you again and again. This is especially true of the waiter / waitress in the lounges, if you are pleasant to them. I remember one young lady from Argentina; she made a bee-line when we came into the Piazza area. She even knew what drinks we wanted by the second day. Her eyes light-up & there is always a quick "Thank You!" & she stuck it in her pocket, because I left the auto-tip on the bill.

We go on PCL cruises to be pampered and believe that you get what you pay for and if you treat them with respect. Relax and enjoy, after all you are on a cruise! My wife use to say that I tipped too much, but after 53 years, she has learned that we usually get good service and like me, she enjoys being pampered, so I do my best!

Just Mike

"Not your responsibility to take care of the cruise lines staff

" No, but it is your responsibility as well as everybody else's to do their part in seing that people are recognized for going "above and beyond" so to speak.

Tom

Really? If one pays a daily gratuity, when did it become their RESONSIBILITY to add to that?:rolleyes: Because "everyone" doesn't agree with your tipping habits ( adding more or not) doesn't make them irresponsible. Geez.

Why the need to attack cruisers who have a different opinion? I never get why a differing opinion is seen as some kind of sin. I see different opinions as a way to open my mind. Not make judgements.

Strictly my opinion on tipping, and my apologies for the length but I wanted to share our thought process:

I have read several books on the cruise industry written by those that have worked in it, also have spoken to many a crew member while onboard. The crew have wonderful lives that they share with us and we enjoy hearing and learning more about them as the cruise progresses. We often consider the crew as extensions of the passengers we meet on the ship and not simply individuals here to make my vacation a wonderful experience, which they have always done.

With that said, learning about the sheer amount of work that they put forth day in and day out with the amount they are paid is astonishing to me. I for one could never put in the work that they do and keep, for the most part, not only a pleasant attitude but in most cases an exceptional attitude. Working 6 months straight away from their family with no full day off and usually putting in 10+ hour days is incredible to me.

We always leave the auto tips on. We have to believe in the cruise line and their ability to evenly distribute these tips amongst the crew and not keeping it for themselves. I never want to jeopardize the ability for the people that we interact with on a limited basis to get the portion of our auto tips that they deserve. Even bad service is still service and they deserve the make a living for that in and of itself. We could argue that even with the auto tips the wage they make could be considered not a living wage but that is for another discussion.

We do recognize individuals for what we consider exceptional service. Unless there is something very wrong, we generally give our room Stewart, our waiter and junior waiter a little extra ranging from $10-$30 depending on the service we received. We have never had an instance where we had to consider not leaving even a small amount extra for the crew. We always do traditional dining and thus see the same wait staff everyday. And our rooms are always kept in exceptional condition twice a day. For me, I wouldn't take the vacation until I was in a financial position to be able to leave a small extra amount for those that took care of us and that has meant in the past that we waited a little longer before our next cruise.

Also, as a side note, for your room Stewart they cannot finish their day until they have serviced your room or you have explicitly told them that you do not need service for that day. While I know your on vacation, but if you leave your do not disturb sign up all day please take 10 seconds to let them know they do not need to service your room that day so they can work 10 hours instead of 15. That in and of itself is like leaving an extra tip for them.

As long as it's not pre written at home before the cruise.

LOL. I do fill out the "made a difference" cards for those I particularly liked. A couple of times we have had outstanding junior waiters who deserved some extra praise. BTW, I never remove the tip.