Power outlets in stateroom

bwgreen

We are going on the Reflection in October, and we are planning to bring several gadgets - her iPad, my Tablet, cameras, ... What I wanted to know is how many outlets are in the staterooms (we have an OV booked) and if I should be bringing a power bar for one - if I should, what's safe?

Thanks,

Brian

There are 2 US type plugs and one European plug. I used a 4 port USB adapter and did purchase it from Amazon. My Butler did inspect it and it is allowed. No longer are surge protector strips and extension cords allowed. We sailed to Bermuda first week June 2015. Hope this helps

We just got off a trip on the Solstice. Security told us they were confiscating power bars unless you had a medical reason for having one. With the limited number of receptacles and the proliferation of electronic devices that require charging, this doesn't make sense. You might want to check the "official" policy.

Our suite had one duplex receptacle in the main room and one non-polarized single receptacle in the bathroom (at least that we could find).

OK, here are two products which we have used frequently for a couple of years now including multiple cruises on Celebrity. I bought these products on Amazon and I have included a link for each product on Amazon's website. I have no financial interest in these products or Amazon or Celebrity for that matter except to pay Celebrity scandalous amounts of money so that we can live aboard one of their boats for a couple of weeks at a time.

First, is a Photive 50 Watt 6 Port USB Desktop Rapid Charger. Intelligent USB Charger with Auto Detect Technology.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._al_bw_g107_i2

This stayed in our cabin. It occupied one outlet and let's you charge up to six devices with USB capability at one time. When we aren't cruising this unit stays on my desk and has been in daily use for over two years now.

Second, is a BESTEK® Portable 6A Max Travel Adapter & Power Converter Voltage 220V to 110V with Interchangeable UK/US/AU/EU Plugs.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._hps_bw_g23_i1

There several European type power plugs in each cabin and located throughout the ship. This compact set of adapters gives you the ability to utilize those outlets with U.S. type devices. It provides three U.S. type outlets plus four USB charging ports. It works and we used this all over the ship without anyone saying anything to us.

There are many different manufacturers out there producing similar products to these. I just happened to have purchased these two and found out that they work and work well. We wouldn't cruise without them.

Hope this is helpful info. Now go enjoy that new found power on your next =X= cruise.

:):):D:):)

We are taking at least 2 things that don't use USB to charge - our cameras. So two outlets just isn't enough. I may go to the local Home Depot and get some three outlet expanders like this - http://www.homedepot.ca/product/cube-tap-3wire-black/905899 Would this be allowed?

I've brought this type on two cruise lines and never had a problem. It also gives more space with an over sized device plug in.

41TVmZSUzOL._SY300_.jpg

Harbor freight has them for $2.99. http://www.harborfreight.com/three-way-grounded-adapter-47962.html

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I just called Celebrity - according to them, power bars with surge protectors are allowed - but I'll probably still get one of the 3 outlet taps (like in the picture above) just to save space in the suitcase!

Thanks everyone!

If you read it in a discussion on Cruise Critic it must be true........:rolleyes:

It doesn't mean it isn't true.

If my memory serves me, the person who is spreading the word about serge protectors seems to have an excellent knowledge of what he is talking about and either was, or currently is, an electrical engineer working on ships.

He got my attention and we are switching over to a multi usb port instead of our old Belkin serge protector. We needed more usb ports anyway, so it wasn't a hard sell. :)

Have a look at this thread, particularly at post #15 and others by this very knowledgeable poster, in this case, if you read it on Cruise Critic, I think it is highly likely that it is true -- don't bring surge protectors

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2228714&highlight=surge+protector

I have read the thread. If he convinces you that is fine. Don't bring a surge protector. I am not convinced. They are not prohibited so passengers can bring them or not bring them if they desire. If they are a fire hazard Celebrity shoud prohibit them. I have never brought a surge protector myself. I have a small travel power strip. I actually am usually using the European plug adapters to add an outlet not the power strip. If I owned the Belikin Surge Protector that many bring I would continue bringing it. That is likely the most popular device passengers are bringing. Most passengers are not reading Cruise Critic threads. If I were shopping for the first time or to replace my power strip I would buy one of those USB multiport power chargers.

Edited by Charles4515

This thread reminded me to finally buy a few of the inexpensive and compact US-to-EU two prong adapters. Now I can use all four outlets in the cabin without needing a power strip; those universal adapters are bulky.

The Belkin everyone talks about really is amazing, but since surge protectors are against the rules I've decided to go this route instead for cruising. And a 5 pack only costs about $2-$3 from China (or $7 if you need them from Amazon).

This thread reminded me to finally buy a few of the inexpensive and compact US-to-EU two prong adapters. Now I can use all four outlets in the cabin without needing a power strip; those universal adapters are bulky.

The Belkin everyone talks about really is amazing, but since surge protectors are against the rules I've decided to go this route instead for cruising. And a 5 pack only costs about $2-$3 from China (or $7 if you need them from Amazon).

Surge Protectors are not against the rules!

Some but not all surge protectors are a hazard aboard cruise ships. Not all are and it depends on the design of each individual manufacturer's product.

Surge protectors (excluding uninterruptable power supplies) are sacrificial devices. They absorb extremely short duration high voltage spikes when they occur. Within these appliances is a special semiconductor called a Thyristor. The Thyristor and the circuitry around it detect the presence of an overvoltage spike. The Thyristor then essentially turns on and shunts the excess current caused by the overvoltage through itself. It is this shunting that does eventually break down the surge protector. Surge protector capabilities are usually stated in Joules they can absorb. That number of joules is a cumulative total. Over time as the surge protector absorbs spikes it's protection capability degrades. For instance if we have a surge protector rated at 4000 joules. That surge protector will protect things plugged in to it from one surge of 4000 joules (unlikely) or 4000 surges of one joule. The effect though is cumulative and over time surge protectors have diminished capabilities to protect from surges.

OK, why are SOME surge protectors a hazard on cruise ships. Most (I would hate to say all) cruise ships are wired differently from our homes here in the U.S. Both our homes and cruise ships have three pronged, U.S., 120V, 60 CPS outlets but they are wired differently. In the U.S. that three pronged outlet has a hot wire, a neutral and a ground (sometimes referred to as a transformer center tap). The hot wire has 120V at 60 CPS running through it. The neutral has zero volts therefore the difference in potential between these two wires is 120V AC. The ground wire is there for protection and keeps consumer's safe to a degree. On a cruise ship they have hotwire one and hotwire two. Hotwire 1 has 60V AC at 120 CPS. Hotwire 2 also has 60V AC at 120 CPS. The AC on these two wires is always 180 degrees out of phase so that we always have that same 120V difference in potential. However, on many (maybe most) cruise ships there is no ground wire. It is this wiring difference that can cause surge protectors to malfunction. Most surge protectors are designed to monitor the difference between a neutral line and a hot line not between two hotlines. On a cruise ship some surge protectors will allow overvoltage spikes to get through because of the way they compare the two active lines coming in.

Please bear in mind that I have attempted to provide a by and large non-technical description of thyristors, surge protectors and AC wiring. The actual engineering jargon and mathematics would be much more involved. There can actually be a fire hazard from use of some of these appliances aboard a ship. The danger is minimal but it is real.

I hope this simplified explanation is helpful. Everyone go enjoy that next cruise but leave the surge protectors at home.

:):):):)