How much wine can we take onboard

markarmel

Hello. This is our first time cruising with Princess in October, can somebody tell us how much wine we can take on Diamond Princess cruise out of Sydney. We cant seem to find any wine packages on their website so we are hoping we can take a few bottles on with us.

Hello. This is our first time cruising with Princess in October, can somebody tell us how much wine we can take on Diamond Princess cruise out of Sydney. We cant seem to find any wine packages on their website so we are hoping we can take a few bottles on with us.

Probably the same rule as on this side of the Pacific; as much as you like as long as you pay corkage on anything over the 1 bottle per person that they allow you to bring free of corkage fee.

Theo

You can take a bottle (750 ml or smaller) for each of the first two adults in a cabin. For these, there is no charge, unless you bring them to the MDR to drink. Then there is a $15 corkage fee.

You can bring additional bottles, but are charged $15 per bottle (again 750 ml or smaller). For these there is no additional charge for bring them to the MDR.

All bottles should be in your carry on.

What happenes if you do not drink it all do u get your money back?

No, you have to pay extra to the customs people when you bring it back into the country :p . Unless you pour it down the drain of course.

Theo

Oh, and we stay only one third of the time in our cabin, use only 60% of the facilities and go to half the show. I think I'm entitled to at least a 20% refund :D.

Theo

I know this sounds strange, but since I live near Napa and have access to wonderful wineries, we have been known to ship a case to the hotel we stay in the night before the cruise. I give 1 bottle out to each of our friends (8 of us) and the remaining 4 I look for fellow passengers and ask if they mind bringing a bottle onboard for us. Believe it or not, we have always gotten all our bottles back and we always gladly share the wine.

But everyone is correct, 1 bottle each. Last trip friends actually took 2 bottles in each of their suitcases onboard, and were called aside to pay the corkage fees anyhow.

enjoy your wine.

No, you have to pay extra to the customs people when you bring it back into the country :p .

Not if you had purchased it in that country having paid the normal taxes when you bought it. (In other words, not duty free.)

No, you have to pay extra to the customs people when you bring it back into the country :p . Unless you pour it down the drain of course.

Theo

Oh, and we stay only one third of the time in our cabin, use only 60% of the facilities and go to half the show. I think I'm entitled to at least a 20% refund :D.

Theo

Love those comments! Thanks for the laugh!

You can take a bottle (750 ml or smaller) for each of the first two adults in a cabin. For these, there is no charge, unless you bring them to the MDR to drink. Then there is a $15 corkage fee.

You can bring additional bottles, but are charged $15 per bottle (again 750 ml or smaller). For these there is no additional charge for bring them to the MDR.

The amounts mentioned above are in US$. Maybe someone in Australia can comment on the AUS$ cost as the on board currency for the Diamond could be in AUS$ for those residing in Melbourne as the OP does.

Consume all the bottles with the stickers you get when pay the corkage fee and save the two you brought on free to the end. Hopefully you can estimate consumption within two bottles and then NP.:cool:

I don't think they charge corkage when you bring them to the MDR. You get charged the corkage on the overage when you board. The two allotted bottles can be brought to the MDR or any specialty restaurant without charge.

I don't think they charge corkage when you bring them to the MDR. You get charged the corkage on the overage when you board. The two allotted bottles can be brought to the MDR or any specialty restaurant without charge.

True. The bottles you pay corkage fee on at check-in (at the pier) receive a special sticker, so if taken to any DR, there is no further charge.

Not True. The two free bottles per stateroom (assuming double occupancy) WILL attract a corkage fee if brought to any DR (unless your waiter doesn't notice or lets it slide). I'm just stating policy. If you open and consume the free bottles in the cabin, there is of course no further charge.

Also, any partially finished bottle can be left with waiter in the DR and they will bring it back out the next night, or feel free to take it back to the cabin.

On any bottle, once the corkage fee is charged, it is never charged again for returning to the DR with a partially empty bottle.

Edited by steelers36

True. The bottles you pay corkage fee on at check-in (at the pier) receive a special sticker, so if taken to any DR, there is no further charge.

Not True. The two free bottles per stateroom (assuming double occupancy) WILL attract a corkage fee if brought to any DR (unless your waiter doesn't notice or lets it slide). I'm just stating policy. If you open and consume the free bottles in the cabin, there is of course no further charge.

Also, any partially finished bottle can be left with waiter in the DR and they will bring it back out the next night, or feel free to take it back to the cabin.

On any bottle, once the corkage fee is charged, it is never charged again for returning to the DR with a partially empty bottle.

You're right! I just looked at the official policy. I guess on my last cruise, I lucked out with waiters looking the other way:)

As far as wine packages, I do not know how Princess operates out of Australia, things could be different, but in the US we can get wine packages when on board. They are not always advertised, or offered, but if you ask a knowledgeable member of the wait staff, a head waiter for example, the first day, you should be able to purchase a package. They vary by the number of bottles and the price of the bottles. In the US, if you want a bottle that is over the price limit, not a problem, you will just pay for the "over the limit" difference.

We were a b2b, two weeks total, and Princess generally doesn't "mention" the wine packages on a one week sailing. But we were a group of 7 winos, on for two weeks, so it made a lot of sense for us, and it worked out quite well.