"Voom " internet coming to Celebrity ?

Kevnzworld

Royal Caribbean has announced the installation of Voom internet on their ships.

It's an advanced internet service that now ALLOWS Skype, and video streaming, including Netflix.

The system uses satellites that are closer to the earth and directly target the ship as it sails.

Hopefully Celebrity will be included ASAP. This...is really cool.

Anybody know anything?

My understanding is that it is VERY expensive to retrofit so we won't be getting it on existing X ships. Maybe Project Edge? I experienced Voom on Anthem earlier this year and it is amazing, even on a ship with so many passengers using it.

Phil

How much a 7-night Voom pacakge on the Anthem?

My best guess is that as their existing service contracts with existing service providers expire, they will go to VOOM!

On the RCL investor call end of July, they made special mention about how much of an impact the VOOM fees are having on the on-board revenue line on the P&L. They also acknowledge the marketing impact from availability of people to use Social Media as they go is a huge positive.

When existing contracts expire, I have no idea....But they will certainly be working to do anything they can to enhance service and get more people to purchase it.

How much a 7-night Voom pacakge on the Anthem?

$15 a day, so $105, a second device is at 50% discount.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Onboard_Experience/15044962_Voom_Trade_Flyer.pdf

I imagine the low price may have a lot to do with the huge number of passengers on the ship, more people mean more purchase means more money to cover the minimum fixed costs, so no need to jack it up.

My best guess is that as their existing service contracts with existing service providers expire, they will go to VOOM!

On the RCL investor call end of July, they made special mention about how much of an impact the VOOM fees are having on the on-board revenue line on the P&L. They also acknowledge the marketing impact from availability of people to use Social Media as they go is a huge positive.

When existing contracts expire, I have no idea....But they will certainly be working to do anything they can to enhance service and get more people to purchase it.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Onboard_Experience/15044962_Voom_Trade_Flyer.pdf

I imagine the low price may have a lot to do with the huge number of passengers on the ship, more people mean more purchase means more money to cover the minimum fixed costs, so no need to jack it up.

This is much more affordable, I take it!

My understanding is that it is VERY expensive to retrofit so we won't be getting it on existing X ships. Maybe Project Edge? I experienced Voom on Anthem earlier this year and it is amazing, even on a ship with so many passengers using it.

Phil

Agreed Phil. We experienced Voom on Oasis of the Seas in July, and it was absolutely fantastic. Fast, Reliable, and you can switch between multiple devices, though you can only be on one device at any time without paying an additional surcharge - which was more than fair. In addition, it was about 85.00 for the week, with a Diamond Plus discount. The non-discounted rate is 15.00 per day - which was quite reasonable, IMO. It seemed that a huge number of guests purchased the package. When I went to buy it on Day 1, there was a massive sign-up line.

I'd love to see Celebrity add Voom as soon as possible (and at similiar pricing), at least to the S-Class ships - but as you mentioned, I've heard it's extremely costly - so that may be something they are thinking about.

Let's hope Celebrity will make it happen !

Edited by Host Andy

A bit more va va voom to the internet service would be most welcome.

I do wonder though, once half the people on board get connected up to Spotify and permanent Facebook, then start Netflixing movies rather than pay on-board movie prices, if the speed won't degrade quite noticeably. There's only so much data you can stuff down even the best satellite link, especially when dealing with a moving target bouncing all over the waves.

I do wonder though, once half the people on board get connected up to Spotify and permanent Facebook, then start Netflixing movies rather than pay on-board movie prices, if the speed won't degrade quite noticeably. There's only so much data you can stuff down even the best satellite link, especially when dealing with a moving target bouncing all over the waves.

My experience on Anthem of the Seas of Voom was that it was very quick all of the time, in spite of the ship being very full and evidence of much use. It seems to be an amazing piece of kit.

Phil

The speed was pretty good on Oasis which is a massive ship with 6000 passengers and 2000 crew. It's not as fast as my home connection but was very good.

Since they are putting it on Majesty of the Seas an older ship I can foresee it being added the the rest of their fleet. So why not Celebrity too?

Edited by Charles4515

The speed was pretty good on Oasis which is a massive ship with 6000 passengers and 2000 crew. It's not as fast as my home connection but was very good.

Since they are putting it on Majesty of the Seas an older ship I can foresee it being added the the rest of their fleet. So why not Celebrity too?

On MOS there will be no charge for using it, at least initially.

Agreed Phil. We experienced Voom on Oasis of the Seas in July, and it was absolutely fantastic. Fast, Reliable, and you can switch between multiple devices, though you can only be on one device at any time without paying an additional surcharge - which was more than fair. In addition, it was about 85.00 for the week, with a Diamond Plus discount. The non-discounted rate is 15.00 per day - which was quite reasonable, IMO. It seemed that a huge number of guests purchased the package. When I went to buy it on Day 1, there was a massive sign-up line. I'd love to see Celebrity add Voom as soon as possible (and at similiar pricing), at least to the S-Class ships - but as you mentioned, I've heard it's extremely costly - so that may be something they are thinking about. Let's hope Celebrity will make it happen !

Appreciate this added info and the wise insights from Host Andy and others. YES, definitely it would be great for better, faster service on the ship. BUT, on a fun cruise ship and visiting many great ports, there is the question about how many need service to be that fast and good to just sit in your room and watch Netflixs?? Yes, Skype with family is great, etc.

Earlier this year, we did a sailing on another cruise line up and down the Amazon River and had decent (for being on a ship) Internet service. On Feb. 1, I was searching that night for info on the Super Bowl game and happened to get a video feed of the NBC game as being called by Al Michaels, etc. Normally, their web does not support such video feeds, but we got it and enjoyed the super finish to that exciting game. Fun!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 203,583 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 1 month later...

It's an advanced internet service that now ALLOWS Skype, and video streaming, including Netflix.

The system uses satellites that are closer to the earth and directly target the ship as it sails.

Anybody know anything?

I go on cruises to get away from the internet and be disconnected. And I'm certainly not looking forward to people using Skype up or watching loud movies up on the sundeck or other public areas. Especially since most won't use headphones. Why do people need to stay so connected when they're supposed to be relaxing on vacation?

Bah humbug. I hope Celebrity doesn't adopt it.

I go on cruises to get away from the internet and be disconnected. And I'm certainly not looking forward to people using Skype up or watching loud movies up on the sundeck or other public areas. Especially since most won't use headphones. Why do people need to stay so connected when they're supposed to be relaxing on vacation?

Your concerns didn't happen on the ship with Voom that I sailed on this past May. None played movies out loud. (you don't need internet to watch movies anyhow, I always have videos preloaded on my iPad).

As for why people need to stay connected. The reason you go on cruises applies to you. There are many reasons people need or want to stay connected but that is their business.

Voom or something like it will happen on Celebrity. Those who don't want to stay connected won't be forced to use it.

Hasn't anyone every been ill on a ship and wanted to just watch tv? Or had insomnia? Or had someone back home who needs to be in touch with you due to a pressing issue? There are so many reasons why better internet makes sense. It's one of those things, like the spa, that "if you don't want to use it, that's fine, but for those who do, at least give them the best there is...."

Anybody know anything?

Our 9/12 Oasis cruise had Voom! That ship had to be retrofitted.

$15.00/day before Crown and Anchor discounts. Voom was fastest, best, most economical internet we have experienced on any cruise ship.

If RCI can retrofit the Oasis why can't Celebrity do the same?

Bring on Voom!

Why do people need to stay so connected when they're supposed to be relaxing on vacation?

If my day at the office can be spent on board a ship rather than in my home office, I'm all for it.

Quality Internet allows me to get away far more often rather than relying on a once a year blast style vacation. I prefer more frequent getaways.

Hi Brian,

Bah Humbug is right - but that's to your response (just kidding !). I'm thrilled that you and countless others can disconnect. However, I'm a Senior VP, and must stay connected with my office, and my clients. I'd love nothing more than to disconnect, but at this point in my life, it's totally impossible. I suppose it will have to wait for retirement.

For those that do not use the Internet, I can see why Voom may not matter all that much... but for some of us, Voom would be a godsend, allowing people like me to cruise more often, and would be incredibly welcome on Celebrity's ships.

FWIW, we sailed on Oasis a few months ago, and had the chance to experience Voom firsthand. Simply put, it's a massive Internet breakthrough for Cruise ships - relatively inexpensive, easy to use, fast as lightning and very reliable. IMO, Celebrity can't have it soon enough.

Edited by Host Andy

• 1 month later...

As noted on earlier threads, Celebrity Equinox recently had a temporary trial of a higher speed internet technology. I don't know if it was VOOM or something else, but having experienced it on the 10/15 Mediterranean cruise, I found it to be quite fast. FaceTime and similar video calling apps worked quite well.

During an informal conversation with the Equinox hotel director, he indicated that he was hoping to have it back on Equinox by early 2016. No promises, but he spoke with a reasonable degree of knowledge about the trial and the technology plan going forward.

Even if not VOOM, I'll take it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My understanding is that the system, part of Google related technology is not

likely to be available over expanse of open seas. This was to my ears the O3B project that some family relative worked on, or so they said.

The non specific response by Celeb in my opinion is that they don't want to admit to their real future plans and are perhaps stalling with hoping that we

will assume that they are doing all that they can. I call unresponsive answers to be modern luxury.

likely to be available over expanse of open seas. This was to my ears the O3B project that some family relative worked on, or so they said.

The non specific response by Celeb in my opinion is that they don't want to admit to their real future plans and are perhaps stalling with hoping that we

will assume that they are doing all that they can. I call unresponsive answers to be modern luxury.

Seems to be limited to certain swaths of the planet. (Like the Caribbean.)

The satellite beams are targeted directly to the ship, so to cover the globe (and everywhere Celebrity sails) would be a VERY expensive proposition.

http://www.o3bnetworks.com/o3bmaritime/

If you read up on VOOM! it clearly says it is not available on the open seas and won't be offered on TA and TPAC cruses. They even offer a map of the globe showing where coverage is available.

As to unresponsive answers, if you follow the news releases and stock filings of the parent company RCL, it is clear they want to do all they can to go fleet wide with fast, cheap reliable internet as the ships with it have shown considerable takeup of the offering thus driving significant new revenue to the bottom line, new revenue streams are hard to come by, so this is a natural. They also acknowledge the added value of easy availability of social networking for free marketing awareness.

My theory is they have to wait for current equipment leases to expire before expanding, though I have read in these threads from a reliable poster that X is planning to have their internet enhanced by Feb, but I have no further confirmation on that.

I have also observed that on Summit (maybe other ships too) new "golf balls" have appeared on the aft of the ship, AFTER solsticeization occurred, so not sure what the extra "golf balls" are for....they usually house some sort of communications antennas. There are post-solsticeization photos with the new Aqua cabins and no golf balls, and there are recent photos with the balls.

My personal opinion, is it will be sometime in 2017, reason being they have sold so many of the BBB packages that include free unlimited internet valued at $199 or $299 person, with VOOM, it's no where near that value any longer so there would be a lot of unhappy people...

Things like this are great marketing for the company, and any expansion can be kept as a closely guarded secret until such time as a company wishes to announce it, to stay ahead of the competition, so any secrecy behind it is not in the least surprising to me.

We've just returned from the Anthem's inaugural TA. While I normally "disconnect" on vacation, work required me to be available this time, so we did get an internet package. I have to say, Voom was amazing. Once you were logged on, the speed was incredibly fast. It was like being at home.

However, the wi-fi did not work well in our cabin; the IT people on board said there's one router for every five cabins, and so depending on where you are, the signal may not be good. But it worked great in all the public spaces where I tried it.

(Totally OT: Anthem is a stunningly beautiful ship, very much like an S-class ship on (good) steroids. We never thought we'd enjoy a mega-ship like this, but Anthem is just amazing. It surprised us how much fun we had. I will hasten to repeat, though, that we were on a TA; I can't imagine doing a cruise on a ship like that with a ton of kids.)