Dress attire for dinner

thehams

With the exception of formal night what do you guys and gals wear in the MDR and speciality restaurants?

Can men wear jeans with a nice shirt and nice shoes?

The only pants I wear are jeans and I have a lot of dresses but no shirts? Would a casual dress with some flat sandals be good?

Tell me what you wear, especially you ladies :)

I've read on several posts that shorts ARE ok in the MDR. Can any one confirm this?

They are technically forbidden. The daily compass and signs by the dining room say clearly no shorts after lunch. What varies is how much a ship will enforce the rule. One on cruise I did see men in shorts. Other people have seen guests tuned away and asked to go back and change.

Shorts are allowed in the windjammer at any time.

Edited to add - I typically wear Capri pants or a skirt with a blouse and sandals or ballet shoes

Edited by BekkaW

For any warm weather cruise there is only one pair of jeans with me. They're on as we board the ship and go in the closet until debarkation morning. I wear dresses for dinner even on cruise casual nights. They are the most comfortable option. Maxi, cotton/blends, jersey - any or all of the above works. Add a wrap or cardigan, flat sandals or heels, nice jewelry and you're ready to go.

Shorts will most likely get you turned away from the dining room.

I have seen shorts on the first night. Many cruisers do not have luggage by dinner time. It is the most casual night --ALMOST anything goes. On other nights I have seen passengers turned away for shorts.

We booked a cruise a couple of years ago 2 weeks before the cruise date. [really good deal] Our MDR table was a 2 top very near the entrance. We had a bird's eye view of all of the action at the door. :rolleyes: On formal night a man tried to enter the MDR in a white linen Bermuda short suit. [like you would see in Bermuda] He was very vocal about his "elegant" attire, but he was turned away. :)

I always wear dress pants and a shirt or a suit. If we go into the MDR on formal night then a suit with a sequin shell underneath. I don't do dresses. Jeans are too hot for Florida or the Caribbean as far as I'm concerned.

Just looking at someone in jeans makes me start to sweat.

With the exception of formal night what do you guys and gals wear in the MDR and speciality restaurants?

Can men wear jeans with a nice shirt and nice shoes?

The only pants I wear are jeans and I have a lot of dresses but no shirts? Would a casual dress with some flat sandals be good?

Tell me what you wear, especially you ladies :)

My Personal opinion: jeans are never appropriate. this is especially true in the Caribbean when it is bloody hot and humid.

I wear maxi dresses pretty much exclusively. I do have some new skorts that hit at the knee which I am taking on the next cruise. Dresses transition easily from day to evening without wasting luggage space. I never understood the idea that you need one outfit to do your port visit in and a second to do dinner and on board entertainment afterward in.

for Hubster: he MIGHT wear jeans on boarding day. then next time he wears them is when we leave at the end of the cruise. he wear shirts with collars day and evening. he will wear shorts for day and changes to a pair of khakis or dockers or linen for dinner and beyond.

Footwear: we each have a pair of flip flops for poolside/sauna/steamroom.

we each have a pair of casual sandals.

I bring one pair of very low heels for formal night and one pair of casual closed toe

He brings a pair of sneakers to work out in and a pair of dress shoes

I've read on several posts that shorts ARE ok in the MDR. Can any one confirm this?

breakfast and lunch only. not at dinner. and for everyone who swears this is never enforced there are an equal number who swear it IS.

I personally have never seen anyone in shorts allowed in the MDR at dinner on any night (across a few different ships. )

breakfast and lunch only. not at dinner. and for everyone who swears this is never enforced there are an equal number who swear it IS.

I personally have never seen anyone in shorts allowed in the MDR at dinner on any night (across a few different ships. )

Personally speaking...I have worn shorts and a golf shirt only on the first evening in the MDR since 1991 on every Cruise we've taken no matter the Cruise Line. I can't speak for the other evenings as I do not pay attention to what others (I've got to put all my attention to what my wife is wearing in case she quizzes me later) are wearing. I (we) dress according to the MDR guidelines every evening after the firs evening.

Edited by davekathy