Are there many bad veranda cabins in Solstice Class?

lovestx

I have tried searching for the answer to this question on the board with no luck so hope some folks might help me out.

We learned yesterday that friends we met cruising the Galapagos last November would like us to join them on a november sailing of the equinox. We usually sail AQ but our friends have booked a veranda so we will do the same (so we can dine together many nights). There are good deals to be had in booking a veranda guarantee. And using the not-to-be-named website, I see there are many veranda cabins available in all veranda categories.

We don't care about location in the ship but would not want an obstructed view or noise issue. Are there any veranda staterooms that should be avoided? We will pay extra money to ensure that we have a decent cabin but if there aren't many bad veranda cabins we might chance it. I know that an AQ guarantee is a bad idea due to gym and Aqua spa cafe and pool noise issues. But I'm I wrong in guessing that there aren't many bad verandas?

There are a number of verandah cabins that we would consider undesirable.

For example, many of the cabins on Deck 6 port side are above the smoking sections on Deck 5, and you can smell it. Also, you mentioned not wanting obstructed view, all of the 2D cabins and many of the 2C cabins have some sort of obstructed view, mostly lifeboats. Some don't complain about a lifeboat directly in their view, but others do not like it.

Between the smoking smells of port side deck 6, the obstructed views on deck 6 and the pool noise complaints on deck 11, we prefer to just pay the extra for a cabin on deck 8 or 9. We just booked a western Med cruise for next year that was close to sold out in many veranda classes so we had to go with two side by side cabins on deck 7 on the slant since we are going with friends and wanted the adjoining, oversize balconies on the starboard side. Given a real choice we would have gone for deck 8, same location

Thanks for the helpful comments. Just what I was looking for. And concierge may be the way to go as they aren't more than $50 more per cabin. Would hate to babe bothered by smoke....forgot about that possibility!!

We often book Balcony Guarantee--And we love Deck 6! Accessibility to dining and theatre via only 1 set of stairs. Guess we have been lucky--the smoke from deck 5 does not seem to have reached us, and the obstructions are minimal--mostly looking down--we have always been able to see straight out. Check out: S Class Cabin Spreadsheet. You can find it in a “sticky” at the top of this Celebrity forum. Also, we have never been assigned the lowest class of “full obstruction”. Of course--there are is no guarantee you will win--the Concierge for only $50 more might be the sensible choice.

On the Solstice Class ships, the regular balcony cabins and the concierge balcony cabins are exactly the same size. I would not, personally, pay extra for the concierge cabin; the amenities are meaningless unless you really want that extra loyalty point. I'm generally always happy with a 2B on the hump or a slant balcony on the hump. You really need to study the deck plans carefully. For example, a 2C obstructed balcony cabin on Deck 6 has a 2A cabin directly above it on Deck 7. I consider that 2A to still be obstructed, the lifeboat is just one deck further away. I wouldn't pay more for a 2A that wasn't on the hump and they are all priced the same. I mean all 2As and all 2Bs are priced the same but some have much better locations than others.

I analyzed this same situation and here was my choice...

Looked at all the concierge class cabins and decided I could live with any of them.

Looked at the regular balcony cabins and decided there were locations I would not be happy with.

Priced the difference between guarantee Cc and standard. My guarantee CC was still the cheapest.

We've already been assigned our cabin for the trip. Requested and got a change to a same category better location.

Hope that helps.

Edited by cindy1957

I would pick the cabin I wanted and NOT ask for GTY.

Not a fan of guaranteed simply because we prefer a near midship location and read too many stories of noisy cabins above or below locations that are busy lat at night/ early morning.

If you don't have real preferences, booking a GTY cabin may be good for you. I have booked GTY cabins many times. I have never booked a lower category than I would like. Assigned cabins have been okay. Sometimes people get upgrades. My daughter booked a cat. 12 inside GTY and got a nine category upgrade. Most of the time, you get a cabin in the selected category. You will save money. If the savings isn't much, book a specific cabin. Just relax and enjoy your cruise.

Pardon the hijack, but what is the difference between a Cat 12 inside and a Cat 9 inside?

Another question. Does anyone know of a list that defines the various suite and cabin categories? For example difference between Veranda 1A thru Veranda 2D.

If you don't have real preferences, booking a GTY cabin may be good for you. I have booked GTY cabins many times. I have never booked a lower category than I would like. Assigned cabins have been okay. Sometimes people get upgrades. My daughter booked a cat. 12 inside GTY and got a nine category upgrade. Most of the time, you get a cabin in the selected category. You will save money. If the savings isn't much, book a specific cabin. Just relax and enjoy your cruise.