Going Batty - Ships Time vs. Local Time + DST

dioxide45

Okay. Usually I am good at this stuff, but this will be on two cruise in Oct and Nov where DST ends on the first night of the second cruise. We just booked independent tours and want to double check that we can actually make the tour times.

Cruise 1 - Carnival Elation out of New Orleans, 5 nights. I think my bases are covered on this one. Ships Time=Local Time in both ports since Quintana Roo, while on EST, doesn't observe DST. So during the summer months when the USA is on DST, Quintana Roo is the same as CDT.

• Cozumel: 10/28, Arrive in Port 9:00am to 4:00pm CDT. Cozumel Occidental Grand All Inclusive Beach Resort Day Pass. Departure by taxi at leisure.
  • Progreso: 10/29, Arrive in Port 9:00am to 5:00pm CDT. Tour to Uxmal departing at 9:45am local time, which should also be 9:45am ships time.

Cruise 2 - Carnival Magic out of Galveston, 7 nights. This is the one I am confused more on because DST ends on the first night of the cruise. Does the ship also change time during the cruise, or do they keep the same time from when they start. Also, Jamaica, the only port we do an excursion on is on EST. So I think the ship will be an hour behind Jamaica time. Plus I want to make sure we make it back in time in the other ports where we do our own thing. Though we always keep a watch on ships time.

• Cozumel: 11/3, Arrive in Port 7:00am to 3:00pm CST? Likely going to a beach club again. Just not sure where. We will wing it!
  • Grand Cayman: 11/4, Arrive in Port 9:00am to 5:00pm CST. Local time should be the same as ships time as Grand Cayman is also in CST. We are picking up a rental car at 9:00am or shortly after. Drop off at 4:00pm.
  • Montego Bay: 11/5, Arrive in Port 8:00am to 4:00pm CST. Local time should be 9:00am as Jamaica is in EST. Going to Montego Bay Grand Palladium Resort All Inclusive Day Pass with 9:30am departure.

Do I have all my times right? I think we are good and it seems that the company we booked all the excursions through covered our bases for us?

Make sure you have a watch set to ship's time. That's the most important thing. Do not rely on your cell phone which will adjust to local time. The only time that matters is ship's time.

Also have you allowed for tender time. Cayman's as an example. You said drop off car at 4:00. Would be more concerned with last tender time.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

Make sure you have a watch set to ship's time. That's the most important thing. Do not rely on your cell phone which will adjust to local time. The only time that matters is ship's time.

Also have you allowed for tender time. Cayman's as an example. You said drop off car at 4:00. Would be more concerned with last tender time.

This.

They have a clock near the gangway as a rule, check that your watch and it are in sync.

If there isn't a clock find one.

I would be more concerned about getting from NOLA to Galveston

when does cruise 1 end & cruise 2 begin?

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

put in date & location

just check the time when you go through security ar check out & ask what time do YOU NEED to be onboard

Elation ends on the 31st and we leave on the Magic on the 1st. We fly out of NOLA on the afternoon of the 31st. Direct flight. No concerns there.

Never considered last tender. Thanks for reminding me on that. That is usually 15 minutes before back on board. We will probably drop our car off a little earlier than 4:00pm, but that is when we have it booked till.

Edited by dioxide45

OP indicated Carnival.

Have found RC goes by ship's time, not local time.

Thanks I missed it.

Yes, last tender at Cayman will likely be at 4:00 PM.

I believe that Carnival goes by ships time.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010