We strayed to Carnival...NEVER again!

BopRN

It only took one time and one time only for a Carnival cruise for us too! Went in the summer with a ship load of kids! My own fault!!! The clientele are a different crowd too. I prefer to sleep at night and most others did not!

Our preference is now Crystal! We will stick with them!

Food...Buffet food was ok...but we missed all the selections RCCL has. No pineapple all week, very little watermelon; one of 2 kinds of cheese and lunchmeat on buffet. No pre-made sandwiches. Few salad offerings. All the stations had long lines which were chaotic. Even to get a hamburger, you had to go all the way out by the pool...then go back in to get the rest of your food.

Everyone is allowed an opinion but it makes no sense to bash another cruise line when you have loyalties toward another. You go in looking for problems so of course you will find them. Reading the OP's list of gripes I had to giggle because I'm a foodie. They complained about the "lack of pre-made sandwiches" at the buffet, that's because Carnival is the only line that I'm aware that offers a full delicatessen with made to order sandwiches! Also the preference of a piece of watermelon, ummmm kayyyyyy. You go with that reasoning as to why RCI's food is better.

Peace out!

Edited by Cruisegoer

Those cruise lines are owned by Carnival Corporation, not Carnival. They are all operated independently. I can only tell you from my own experience but I feel that there is a vast difference between Carnival Cruise Lines and Princess Cruise Lines.

Understand ... the Carnival umbrella is huge, but my point is that whatever the corporation is doing works well.

To your point, we noticed a general decline in the Princess cruise experience on our last trip a couple of years ago. The two cruise lines aren't all that far apart in several aspects. It took a while, but the effects of the Cahill regime have begun to show ... nothing particularly wrenching, but just an overall feeling that it's not quite the same cruise line as it was on our voyage before that one (about a year prior). The ship wasn't nearly as sharp-looking (rust everywhere), and while staff was courteous, they weren't outstanding, as we've been accustomed to (likely overworked ... we were informed that everyone was doing more with less). But I'm certain that someone will take our place while we continue to sail with Royal Caribbean.

Everyone is allowed an opinion but it makes no sense to bash another cruise line when you have loyalties toward another. You go in looking for problems so of course you will find them. Reading the OP's list of gripes I had to giggle because I'm a foodie. They complained about the "lack of pre-made sandwiches" at the buffet, that's because Carnival is the only line that I'm aware that offers a full delicatessen with made to order sandwiches! Also the preference of a piece of watermelon, ummmm kayyyyyy. You go with that reasoning as to why RCI's food is better.

Peace out!

So I guess, other than the pre-made sandwiches and watermelon of course, you agree with the rest of the OP's assessment? They did enjoy the cruise or did you just focus on the negatives?

I have to disagree with you that Carnival is a first time cruise only. If that is the case where did all these platinum and diamond passengers come from? From what I have read is that Carnival is a more casual cruise line. Which a lot of people like. Me for one. I'm on vacation I don't wanna have to get dressed up every dinner. Mind you I don't go to dinner with a tank top and daisy duke shorts either. I don't mind dressing up a couple of times. If RCI is formal dress every night RCI is not the cruise line for me.

From what you've read???? Have you never sailed Carnival???? Or Royal Caribbean???? What cruise lines have you experienced? Granted, Carnival (as is the case with all) has its loyal supporters (I know several). But there's no question that the target market is the first-timers ... singles and young families in particular. Nothing wrong with that ... in fact, they probably spend more per capita than those of us who've cruised often. We have enough photos to fill a dozen albums, have bought hundreds of dollars' worth of souvenirs for friends and family (only to have most of them end up in yard sales), taken every possible shore trip at least twice ... not much left that we can't live without.

My "formal" attire consists of a nice pair of slacks, long-sleeve shirt and (optional) tie. I don't even bring a sport jacket anymore. The overall cruise "dress code" has become far more casual over the years. There are still those men who insist on tuxedos or suits, women who wear long gowns ... but they're a vanishing breed. Incidentally, the "suggested" formal nights are usually the second and fifth nights on a seven-night cruise ... so you'd be right at home on Royal Caribbean, but somewhat overdressed on Carnival.

Every time I think I might want to try a Carnival cruise, something happens to convince me not to do so.

This latest time was while we were sitting in Fishlips at Port Canaveral and a Carnival ship slides by with blaring music and, wait for it, a guy yelling "Everybody Twerk!"

A lot of the issues with the toilets on the Triumph was that people were trying to flush them with no power which made them overflow. Break downs happen. I would rather be on a broken down cruise ship in the water then a broken down airplane in the air. lol

Let's not forget where the former CEO's priorities were when the Triumph was dead in the water.

Every time I think I might want to try a Carnival cruise, something happens to convince me not to do so.

This latest time was while we were sitting in Fishlips at Port Canaveral and a Carnival ship slides by with blaring music and, wait for it, a guy yelling "Everybody Twerk!"

I can easily picture this! I've sailed Carnival Triumph once on a 4 night cruise, and didn't care for the incredibly foul comedy club that was not at all funny or the cruise director who couldn't complete a sentence without "booty" in it as in "Come on and shake your booty". I've sailed Disney and Royal Caribbean out of the same port, and the guests were quite different from those on that Carnival cruise. Many more guys in tank top and ball caps on Carnival. I do know that some are fiercely loyal to Carnival, but it's Disney or Royal Caribbean for me right now.

[quote name='NOSaints1']We're going on RC next year after 3 cruises on Carnival. We never had a bad experience on Carnival, service was top notch, food was excellent, but doesn't some people say food is declining on RC due to cut backs. If you didn't like your experience on Carnival, you could've gone to Guest Services and they would flown you back home at no cost to you.[/quote]
A little harsh, don't you think?? No need for that..

[quote name='CarnieAddict']I get a kick out of all of going on about Carnival. Have you people not read any of the reviews on the 2 Quantum class ships? How the pools are so small. 800 sun chairs for 5000 people. Computers charging people for things they didn't purchase. The Bionic Bar not working. Not enough staff. Oh and on the Inaugural cruise on the Quantum there was a malfunction in one of the shows and a performer was kicked in the head. And these are brand new ships not 8 years old like the Dream.[/quote]
New ships on ALL cruise lines have bugs, and are to be expected if sailing on them during the first few months.. Most of the time, they look at the problems and fix them... Dream's issues aren't new.

[quote name='CarnieAddict']QUOTE=Big_G;47613968]At least they have first hand knowledge of what they speak. Tried any other cruise lines lately? :rolleyes:[/quote]

First hand knowledge of what they speak? Im lost. No I havent tried any other cruise line yet. I was actually thinking about Anthem of the Seas in February 2017 dispite all bad reviews. But now I'm not so sure.[/quote]
Carnie, why so harsh??

[quote name='rcclfanbp']Makes sense to me Big Al. I also consider a cruise line's pattern in dealing with public safety matters (e.g., norovirus, ship fires, onboard criminal issues, etc.). I usually cruise with RCI and Celebrity, but have cruised with Carnival, Princess and will cruise on MSC in December. If a person is comfortable with a cruise line's value proposition and safety record, one should not be criticized for choosing one over the other. It is personal preference and there is nothing wrong with that. :cool:

[I]Cheers[/I]![/quote]
WELL said.. Cooler heads prevailing...

[quote name='Big_G']Stop by future cruises while on your Freedom cruise. We booked our February Celebrity Reflection while on Independence last January. We booked a Concierge Class balcony and got the drink package, $300 OBC, and prepaid grats on Celebrity's 123Go promo. We also got another $250 OBC for booking on-board. I'm not sure if the 123Go will be available but it's worth the visit to see.[/quote]
How did they let you book a different cruise line, while on RCCL? I haven't heard or seen it done for 20 years.. Is this something new.. Please share with us..

[quote name='S.S.Oceanlover']Formal dress every night? Where did you get that? It's barely formal on formal nights. My last RCI cruise I dressed with a pair of dockers and a nice collared shirt just like I dressed on Carnivals "elegant night".

Just an observation but it seems you are basing RCI on things made up in your head just to bolster your bias towards Carnival.

Bill[/quote]

AGREED, Bill.

[quote name='CarnieAddict']You can't fix stupid. Most overboards are being drunk. And I am not sure how that is carnivals fault. If I drive drunk and kill someone I have no one to blame but myself.[/quote]
Incorrect. Businesses are most definitely held responsible if they over-serve a customer to the point of intoxication. Ask any bartender.

We just had a local bar go out of business because they over-served a customer until he was sloppy drunk, and said customer got into his car, crashed, and ended up paralyzed. The bar was held "partially liable" by a jury, forced to pay a little over a million dollars in damages, and had their liquor license revoked by the state.

[quote name='Tunkhannock']Incorrect. Businesses are most definitely held responsible if they over-serve a customer to the point of intoxication. Ask any bartender.

We just had a local bar go out of business because they over-served a customer untilI he was sloppy drunk, and said customer got into his car, crashed, and ended up paralyzed. The bar was held "partially liable" by a jury, forced to pay a little over a million dollars in damages, and had their liquor license revoked by the state.[/QUOTE]

I know that but I don't agree with it. So if I drink at home then drive and kill someone then who do I blame? Maybe the person at the register in the liqour store. All I am saying is people need to take responsibility for their own actions drunk or not.I'm sure the alcohol wasn't forced down there neck.

[quote name='TigerLady']First hand knowledge of what they speak? Im lost. No I havent tried any other cruise line yet. I was actually thinking about Anthem of the Seas in February 2017 dispite all bad reviews. But now I'm not so sure.[/quote]
Carnie, why so harsh??[/QUOTE]

I was quoting something that was said to me. And I dont think I was being harsh. Just because I like Carnival?

[quote name='mareed']I can easily picture this! I've sailed Carnival Triumph once on a 4 night cruise, and didn't care for the incredibly foul comedy club that was not at all funny or the cruise director who couldn't complete a sentence without "booty" in it as in "Come on and shake your booty". I've sailed Disney and Royal Caribbean out of the same port, and the guests were quite different from those on that Carnival cruise. Many more guys in tank top and ball caps on Carnival. I do know that some are fiercely loyal to Carnival, but it's Disney or Royal Caribbean for me right now.[/QUOTE]

They do have family comedy and they do give you lots of warning about the language in the adult shows.

[quote name='TigerLady']First hand knowledge of what the.y speak? Im lost. No I havent tried any other cruise line yet. I was actually thinking about Anthem of the Seas in February 2017 dispite all bad reviews. But now I'm not so sure.[/quote]
Carnie, why so harsh??[/QUOTE]

That was an RCI loyal going on about first hand knowledge about me reading reviews. I find it funny that you aren't telling him he is being to harsh. Oh wait he is an RCI loyal. Yes now I am being harsh. I like Carnival and I probably will like RCI. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. This going back and forth can go on forever.

[quote name='TigerLady']How did they let you book a different cruise line, while on RCCL? I haven't heard or seen it done for 20 years.. Is this something new.. Please share with us..[/quote]

You can book both Celebrity and Azamara on a Royal ship because they are owned by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

[quote name='CarnieAddict']I know that but I don't agree with it.[/quote]
You may not agree with it, but it's the truth of the matter.
[quote name='CarnieAddict']So if I drink at home then drive and kill someone then who do I blame? Maybe the person at the register in the liqour store. All I am saying is people need to take responsibility for their own actions drunk or not.I'm sure the alcohol wasn't forced down there neck.[/quote]
You're comparing apples and oranges. There is a [I]big[/I] difference between "drinking at home and getting yourself intoxicated", and "drinking at a licensed bar/restaurant while being served by a trained bartender, and getting intoxicated."

For example: if you decided to fix the brakes in your car, screw it up, and crash, it's your fault, right? But if you take it to a garage, they screw it up, and you crash, they are the ones who are liable. Same basic premise.

So saying "Sure, they got sloppy drunk on a Carnival cruise and fell overboard, but it's not Carnival's fault," is incorrect. It most definitely is Carnival's (or whatever cruise line, really) fault. They're the ones controlling the alcohol.

[quote name='CarnieAddict']
That was an RCI loyal going on about first hand knowledge about me reading reviews. I find it funny that you aren't telling him he is being to harsh. Oh wait he is an RCI loyal. Yes now I am being harsh. I like Carnival and I probably will like RCI. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. This going back and forth can go on forever.[/quote]

You buttress your criticism of people's first hand experience of your beloved cruise line with something you read on the internet. The OP enjoyed their cruise but felt it was not for them. Get over it. You have no other experience but Carnival. Edited by Big_G

[quote name='Big_G']You buttress your criticism of people's first hand experience of your beloved cruise line with something you read on the internet. The OP enjoyed their cruise but felt it was not for them. Get over it. You have no other expberience but Carnival.[/QUOTE]

I am over it. I have not insulted RCI. I took what the OP was saying that RCI never has break downs. I was just pointing out that they do. And I have stated many times I am planning on going on Anthem of the Seas in February 2017. 2018 I will be doing a Baltic cruise on NCL . I'm just stating my opinion. You don't have to agree with me.

[quote name='CarnieAddict']I'm just stating my opinion. You don't have to agree with me.[/QUOTE]

Yes, over and over again. Your post count on this thread has more than doubled the second poster. We get it. You're a "Carnival Cheer Leader And Proud of it!," as you state in your signature. You're going to have to learn to get over it. There are people who do not like Carnival - me being one of them - and no matter how many times you post, you're not going to change anything.