We strayed to Carnival...NEVER again!

BopRN

If you ordered a 2nd entrée, they put it on the table with the first

Didn't read the whole thread, but I wanted to point out this has always been the case for me on RCL and DCL. I prefer it this way.

On my last DCL cruise there was a couple that ordered 3 entrees each, they would serve the first two together, then bring the third. It made dinner way too slow and we asked to be moved to a different table.

I am sure on RCL or DCL they would do whatever you wanted, though.

You're right it has nothing to do with actual class. Quite a lot to do with level of accommodations purchased, adherence to dress code etc.

The classism isn't just between the passengers, it's also the demeaning way the staff is treated.

How does "level of accommodations purchased" weigh in to it?

I was staying at the Four Seasons, inside the Mandalay Bay, in May. While at dinner at Charlie Palmer's, I saw a couple get in a fight in the dining room. Broke plates on the floor, yelling, swearing. The whole nine yards. When the manager came with security to try and get them to leave, they went off on how much they were spending to be there. I am a watch guy, and can tell you the man was wearing a Breitling watch.

So I am not sure why level of accommodation would matter.

Just when you think RCCL isn't worth the extra money, we decided you get what you pay for....and for that little extra money, it is worth it.

I completely agree with you. Although we enjoyed our previous 4 Carnival cruises, after we gave RCCL a try, we have not gone back and don't plan to.

We also enjoy Princess and next year will cruise HAL for the first time. But, for now, Royal Caribbean still Wow's us. As you can see, we have two more cruises booked. :D

Thanks for your review and welcome back!

Less heavy drinkers, 20 something partiers, I'm guessing? Big_G is it also a predominantly older crowd?

I think my wife might enjoy that atmosphere. Like I said, none of that bother me, but I get how could bother others.

Just a guess based on observation the average age is probably 50 something. We pretty much stick to the S Class ships but have sailed Summit. Celebrity is a more relaxing cruise. We enjoy both lines for their differences.

How does "level of accommodations purchased" weigh in to it?

I was staying at the Four Seasons, inside the Mandalay Bay, in May. While at dinner at Charlie Palmer's, I saw a couple get in a fight in the dining room. Broke plates on the floor, yelling, swearing. The whole nine yards. When the manager came with security to try and get them to leave, they went off on how much they were spending to be there. I am a watch guy, and can tell you the man was wearing a Breitling watch.

So I am not sure why level of accommodation would matter.

Don't ask me, ask all the folks who think it matters. After all, I started my statement with "it has nothing to do with actual class".

Just a guess based on observation the average age is probably 50 something. We pretty much stick to the S Class ships but have sailed Summit. Celebrity is a more relaxing cruise. We enjoy both lines for their differences.

We are in our mid fifties, and I think my wife might really like Celebrity. I am interested to see if she finds Royal significantly different. She does not really remember Mariner very well. She is excited to experience something different.

I like them all, and agree they can be quite different but all have things I really enjoy. I do think "more relaxing" sounds good.

Thanks for the information.

We are in our mid fifties, and I think my wife might really like Celebrity. I am interested to see if she finds Royal significantly different. She does not really remember Mariner very well. She is excited to experience something different.

I like them all, and agree they can be quite different but all have things I really enjoy. I do think "more relaxing" sounds good.

Thanks for the information.

Stop by future cruises while on your Freedom cruise. We booked our February Celebrity Reflection while on Independence last January. We booked a Concierge Class balcony and got the drink package, $300 OBC, and prepaid grats on Celebrity's 123Go promo. We also got another $250 OBC for booking on-board. I'm not sure if the 123Go will be available but it's worth the visit to see.

Edited by Big_G

Stop by future cruises while on your Freedom cruise. We booked our February Celebrity Reflection while on Independence last January. We booked a Concierge Class balcony and got the drink package, $300 OBC, and prepaid grats on Celebrity's 123Go promo. We also got another $250 OBC for booking on-board. I'm not sure if the 123Go will be available but it's worth the visit to see.

We will very likely do that, as I figure we might as well get the OBC and other benefits. We are leaning towards Alaska next, so will probably book Celebrity for up north next summer. From what I read if we change our minds, we can move the deposit to another cruise, so why not. Appreciate all your advice.

We will very likely do that, as I figure we might as well get the OBC and other benefits. We are leaning towards Alaska next, so will probably book Celebrity for up north next summer. From what I read if we change our minds, we can move the deposit to another cruise, so why not. Appreciate all your advice.

You're welcome. Enjoy your cruise.

I have cruised Celebrity , NCL , Costa , RCL & Carnival . I like Carnival's comedy club & the amount of trivia they do . I also find more things to do than on RCL . The rooms are bigger but Carnival does attract some strange people . In my opinion RCL food is better in the main dining room & I love the service in the Windjammer . I just find them lacking in daytime activities .

"We always cruised NCL and RCI except last year when we cruised Celebrity. A better class of people, well mannered children and outstanding service. Next year my wife wants to try RCI, so being a good caring hubby, we will try RCI agIn. Hope it works out because I'd always give Celebrity top consideration. Try Celebrity once and I think you'll be pleased."

We are trying Celebrity in December. RCI has been good except for some problems with rude twenty somethings, who think the rules don't apply to them.

In December 2013 we did a five nighter out of Galveston on Carnival Triumph mostly because price was unbeatable (last minute booking) and also because RCL doesn't offer short trips there.

We had few complaints, mostly due to unnecessary loudness outside in pool area - the big screen showing loud obnoxious trash on a pleasant morning coming in to Cozumel, eventually it was turned off when the ship next door complained.

For some reason, I find this hilarious.

"Hey, you kids, turn down your darn music!"

A badly designed Royal ship is still better than the Carnival ships that you can't get from the bow to the aft without switching decks.

That is your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it. I was just making the point that the OP almost figured RCI never has break downs. And I was pointing out even RCI'S new ships are having issues.

We have sailed on Royal Caribbean, Carnival, HAL, Celebrity, Princess, and Norwegian, and I find that there are more similarities than differences between cruise lines. All other things being equal, I will gravitate towards RCCL because I have higher status on them.

We book cruises based on price, itinerary, and how convenient it is to get to the embarkation port. I haven't cruised Carnival based on price, because we have gotten great deals on the other cruise lines.

We have sailed numerous short (3-5 day) itineraries on Royal and Carnival out of southeastern US ports, so I will compare these in order to do an "apples-to-apples" comparison.

These type of short cruises are the bread-and-butter money maker cruises for the cruiselines. They use older mid-sized ships, and it seems like the crew tries just a little bit harder as compared to the fancy mega-ships. They seem to have the same type of clientele--families getting away for a few days, and other cruisers who want to party for a few days. Here are some slight differences that I have noticed on each cruise line:

1. Decor--RCCL has the edge here. Carnival is more glittery and flashy, RCCL more subdued.

2. Food--RCCL buffets have more variety and tastier food than Carnival. The Carnival MDRs have better food than the RCCL MDRs. (this was mentioned upthread by another poster, and I heartily agree.)

3. Staterooms--Carnival staterooms are considerably larger than RCCL, for the same price. Carnival supplies a nice amenity basket, whereas RCCL does not. I am comparing inside cabins here, since that is usually what we book.

4. Ship layout--Easier to get around on RCCL. I love the Promenade deck that encircles the entire ship. On Carnival, as well as other cruiselines, you often have to change decks if you want to go from one end of the ship to another.

I would love to hear more comparisons of the kids programs on each line. We have a new generation of cruisers coming up in our family!

The amenities baskets are gone. The samples inside those baskets were supplied by outside vendors and those vendors pulled out. I miss the little tubes of toothpaste we used to get.

Oh, no! That's too bad! Thanks for letting us know. Admittedly, its been awhile since I've cruised with Carnival. I will miss the little tubes of toothpaste also.

We had few complaints, mostly due to unnecessary loudness outside in pool area - the big screen showing loud obnoxious trash on a pleasant morning coming in to Cozumel, eventually it was turned off when the ship next door complained.

I think we were introduced to big screens on Princess which weren't bad but then we sailed Carnival it was just too loud. Practically ear splitting. That's why I was a little apprehensive when Royal started adding them. Of the three, I think Royal is the better at keeping them low key. Of course maybe Carnival had enough complaints by now that they keep them generally lower.

Same thing used to happen here in Key West. Carnival developed a bad reputation of blarring rap music videos on their lido tv so loud, it could be heard from blocks away. This is a no crap...the docks are about a mile around the coast line from my office. One day, with the winds right, we could hear the music at my office. I'll never forget it....it was an Eminem video.

Anyways, due to numerous complaints from locals, the city of Key West actually had to order Carnival to turn them down.

Same thing used to happen here in Key West. Carnival developed a bad reputation of blarring rap music videos on their lido tv so loud, it could be heard from blocks away. This is a no crap...the docks are about a mile around the coast line from my office. One day, with the winds right, we could hear the music at my office. I'll never forget it....it was an Eminem video.

Anyways, due to numerous complaints from locals, the city of Key West actually had to order Carnival to turn them down.

This was my experience on the Breeze too, Paul. While the Breeze is a beautiful ship, Carnival, overall just promotes a party atmosphere, pretty much all day. While Royal will sometimes just show some nature scenes with light music playing on the big screen during the day, on CCL it's non stop music videos. No Caribbean band, just top 40 music. It was really annoying. I'm in my 40s now but I still love to dance and party but moreso in the evening hours. On CCL it's a non stop party, all day. No classical quartets in the Centrum area, instead a DJ blasting dance music.

And I agree that class has more to do with behavior than income or type of accommodation. You can have a classless idiot staying in a Royal Suite and great folks who like to have a good time without negatively impacting the enjoyment of others staying in the least expensive cabin. And I also find that many of CCL passengers just don't seem to have many social graces. Of course that can be found on all lines, but IME, it's been most prevalent on CCL.

A badly designed Royal ship is still better than the Carnival ships that you can't get from the bow to the aft without switching decks.

Not defending badly designed ships, but ever try to go aft, Dk 6 on the Majesty?

So not only Carnival has this type of problem(?), and we still love the Majesty!